{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Starting Xl first game.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Starting Xl first game.

Postby yellowstagsfan » Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:54 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
hucknallstag wrote:Imo.....the elusive centre forward is already at the club in the form of gale! Young,pacey and fi ding his feet with some very neat finishes towards the end of the season,would be the spearhead for me next season and given a good run in the side will earn mtfc a good fee when he's sold,the saying goes.....if your good enough.....your old enough?

One of the reasons Nigel is not looking fir another forward
I agree with this.

For me one of the main extras he brings compared to others is his accuracy and ability to strike at goal. We haven’t had anyone with the ability to effectively strike on sight for quite a number of years but young James has shown he can hit the target with power even from half a chance. There’s nothing more exciting in a footballer than that and it’s been something missing from the squad for far too long.
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:58 pm

yellowstagsfan wrote:
hucknallstag wrote:Imo.....the elusive centre forward is already at the club in the form of gale! Young,pacey and fi ding his feet with some very neat finishes towards the end of the season,would be the spearhead for me next season and given a good run in the side will earn mtfc a good fee when he's sold,the saying goes.....if your good enough.....your old enough?

For me one of the main extras he brings compared to others is his accuracy and ability to strike at goal. We haven’t had anyone with the ability to effectively strike on sight for quite a number of years but young James has shown he can hit the target with power even from half a chance. There’s nothing more exciting in a footballer than that and it’s been something missing from the squad for far too long.

One of the reasons Nigel is not looking for another forward
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:20 pm

I agree with this.

Agree entirely he seems to have jumped forward so much in the last six months. Really excited by the thought of him, Oates and Swann bringing pace and real strike power
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Gruff » Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:24 am

This is a dilemma.... but I'd go for something like:

GK
Johnson Kilgour Cargill MacDonald
Reed
Maris Clarke Quinn
Swan Gale

My thoughts... this team should be strong enough for promotion, and is young enough to carry through to League 1 (with the exception of Quinn). No wholesale changes required at Christmas (barring serious injuries), and with Macca and Hewitt returning there is strength in depth. Perch and JJT could do a job, but would buy another defender (unless Anderson is ready)

Hartigan and Boateng can both cover 2 x midfield roles.

I would use Akins as a utility player who can come on in multiple positions when required, or to change the formation with DKD.

Would buy another forward (unless Abdullah is ready)
Gruff
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby part time pete » Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:39 am

Following the Retford game, here is my thoughts

Pym
Johnson, Kilgour, Cargill, MacDonald or Lewis
Reed
Maris, Quinn or Boateng
DKD
Swan, Akins

Subs
Flinders, MacDonald or Lewis, Quinn or Boateng, Oates , Gale, Bowery or Clarke, O’Toole or Cooper.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:52 am

Don't think that will be far off Pete
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFC Man » Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:01 am

Pym
Johnson, Kilgour, Cargill, Macdonald or Lewis
Maris
Clarke, Boateng
DKD
Akins, Swan

Flinders, New Centre Back, Reed, Oates
Lewis or Macdonald, Quinn, Gale

Harsh on Reed not to start but Boateng on his day is our best player and Maris and Clarke should be first names on the team sheet.
MTFC Man
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:30 am

Similar to ones above - my XI first game would be:

Pym

Johnson Kilgour Cargill Lewis

Maris

Clarke Boateng

DKD

Akins Swan

Bench: Flinders, new CB, MacDonald, Hartigan, Quinn, Oates, Gale/Bowery.

McLaughlin in the 18 when he’s fully fit and Hewitt at RB when he’s back fit.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby TheMyTStags » Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:31 am

MTFC Man wrote:Pym
Johnson, Kilgour, Cargill, Macdonald or Lewis
Maris
Clarke, Boateng
DKD
Akins, Swan

Flinders, New Centre Back, Reed, Oates
Lewis or Macdonald, Quinn, Gale

Harsh on Reed not to start but Boateng on his day is our best player and Maris and Clarke should be first names on the team sheet.

Clarke shouldn't be dropped on paper, but I think he'd be a casualty of playing the diamond. He's looked much better in a 433 or 3 at the back, and I thought he always looked a bit out of position on the right of a diamond. In the 21/22 season the left side always looked far stronger than the right when Clarke was there. Admittedly Macca and Quinn were excellent that year, but Clarkes strengths as a tenacious box to box suit a formation where he doesn't need positional sense, unlike the diamond
TheMyTStags
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Marky Mark » Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:33 am

Clough's definitely got some tough decisions in the midfield area: Maris, Reed, Clarke, Boateng, Quinn, Hartigan to fit into potentially 3. Any 3 of those would be starters in any team.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:08 am

…………………….Pym……………………

Johnson…Kilgour…Cargill…Lewis

……………………Reed…………………….

…………Maris……….Boateng………..

…………………..DKD……………………..

…………..Akins……Swan……………..

- Toss of a coin between Maris and Clarke.
- Got higher hopes for Boateng this season, he finished last year strongly and now he’s settled down I’m hoping he’s going to kick on. Quinn will have his games and days no doubt about it though.

Hoping we get another quality CB that gives us a bit of a headache. With Kilgour and Cargills injury record it’s imperative we have somebody that can slot in and not weaken the side too much if they have to play a 10 game stretch. At the moment we’re not in that position for me.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:41 am

BH_Stag wrote:…………………….Pym……………………

……………………Reed…………………….

…………………..DKD……………………..

…………..Akins……Swan……………..

- Toss of a coin between Maris and Clarke.
- Got higher hopes for Boateng this season, he finished last year strongly and now he’s settled down I’m hoping he’s going to kick on. Quinn will have his games and days no doubt about it though.

Hoping we get another quality CB that gives us a bit of a headache. With Kilgour and Cargills injury record it’s imperative we have somebody that can slot in and not weaken the side too much if they have to play a 10 game stretch. At the moment we’re not in that position for me.
I agree that we need an above average (for this league) centre half. This season will be way tougher than last. If we don't sign one I think we will suffer. Regarding Clarke and Maris I think both have different qualities.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:00 pm

My only worry is Clarke's fitness. He had problems with his knee last season and he is not fully fit now.

I can't see him starting 20 games this season.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:38 pm

Marky Mark wrote:Clough's definitely got some tough decisions in the midfield area: Maris, Reed, Clarke, Boateng, Quinn, Hartigan to fit into potentially 3. Any 3 of those would be starters in any team.

Splinters Mark?

If we have a midfield 3 and all are fully fit I'd play Reed, Clarke and Maris. For me, not a tough call.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby mattstag14 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:47 pm

Pym

Johnson Kilgour Cargill Lewis

Maris

Clarke Boateng

DKD

Akins Swan

That’s what I’d go with, could make an argument for Reed, MacDonald, Quinn to be a starter as well.
Forget Messi or Ronaldo I'd rather have good honest boys in my team.
mattstag14
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:04 pm

Rob wrote:
Marky Mark wrote:Clough's definitely got some tough decisions in the midfield area: Maris, Reed, Clarke, Boateng, Quinn, Hartigan to fit into potentially 3. Any 3 of those would be starters in any team.

Splinters Mark?

If we have a midfield 3 and all are fully fit I'd play Reed, Clarke and Maris. For me, not a tough call.

I don't think you've got a left of diamond there, I know they're all midfielders as such but they've also all got areas where they're strongest, so that looks a little unbalanced. This is how I see it, and I may be wrong:

Holding midfield: Reed, Hartigan, Maris
Right of diamond: Maris, Clarke
Left of diamond: Boateng, Quinn.

Maris definitely starts for me, I like the way that Boateng finished last season so we might be seeing the best of him and Quinn has always been central to us doing well, Clarke also has purple patches too and he drives us forward. I haven't seen enough of Reed yet but I don't think Clough has signed him for the bench, and I think Hartigan is probably the easiest to leave out. Given that though, and the balance, I'd probably go for Reed, Maris, Quinn/Boateng (can't split them - although Quinn will probably not play more than 60 minutes).
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:27 pm

Marky Mark wrote:
Rob wrote:

Splinters Mark?

I don't think you've got a left of diamond there, I know they're all midfielders as such but they've also all got areas where they're strongest, so that looks a little unbalanced. This is how I see it, and I may be wrong:

Maris definitely starts for me, I like the way that Boateng finished last season so we might be seeing the best of him and Quinn has always been central to us doing well, Clarke also has purple patches too and he drives us forward. I haven't seen enough of Reed yet but I don't think Clough has signed him for the bench, and I think Hartigan is probably the easiest to leave out. Given that though, and the balance, I'd probably go for Reed, Maris, Quinn/Boateng (can't split them - although Quinn will probably not play more than 60 minutes).

I'd guess that's why he's signed Lewis and Macdonald, both attacking full backs. A diamond is naturally quite narrow so either Reed or Maris could play there, as I see it more a centre/left midfield role rather than a traditional wide midfielder. That said, I'd have no problem Boateng or Quinn ahead of Clarke but for me Reed and Maris must start, they will give us the quality and ball retention we need.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:18 pm

Pym

Cargil Kilgour NEW CB

Lewis and MacDonald at wing back

Midfield is a very difficult one. Maris, Reed and Boateng

Up front Akins and Swan.

bench
Flinders
Johnson
JJOT
Clarke
Hartigan
Oates
Bowery

Sat in the stands
Perch
Quinn
Gale
DKD

I had forgotten DKD for a moment. Need some injuries to make it easier :lol:

TBH, I think clough will go for a 4-3-3 or the narrow Diamond. The starting XI would be the same for both. I think Clough would select:

Pym
Lewis Kilgour Cargill MacDonald
Reed, Boateng, Quinn and DKD (DKD would be either tip of diamond or left of front 3.)
Swan Akins (Akins would be right of a 3 for me but Clough seemed to prefer Akins in the middle and Swan on the right)
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:54 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Pym

Cargil Kilgour NEW CB

Up front Akins and Swan.

bench
Flinders
Johnson
JJOT
Clarke
Hartigan
Oates
Bowery

Sat in the stands
Perch
Quinn
Gale
DKD

TBH, I think clough will go for a 4-3-3 or the narrow Diamond. The starting XI would be the same for both. I think Clough would select:

Pym
Reed, Boateng, Quinn and DKD (DKD would be either tip of diamond or left of front 3.)
Swan Akins (Akins would be right of a 3 for me but Clough seemed to prefer Akins in the middle and Swan on the right)

I know you prefaced it with “I think Clough would select”, so it may not be what you’d pick and instead what you think Clough will do, but playing either Akins or Swan (and Oates for that matter) out wide in a 4-3-3 would be daft to me. Swan’s a striker. Never looked comfortable out wide. Akins has proven to be by far at his most effective when he plays up front centrally and can concentrate on his hold up play with his back to goal. His game isn’t running at defenders with the ball in wide areas.

I really hope Clough doesn’t use the 4-3-3. A diamond formation with Keillor-Dunn playing as a 10 behind Swan and Akins would provide us with a lot of goals, and crucially, all three of them would be playing in their best position.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:02 pm

I think Reed will be our best midfielder if he stays fit and gets a run.
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby gregmtfc » Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:42 pm

GK Pym

RB Lewis
CB Kilgour
CB Cargill
LB Macdonald

CDM Reed
RCM Maris
LCM Boateng

CAM DKD

ST Swan
ST Akins

Midfield - could be pretty much any combination but gone with the one above as I wouldn’t want to leave Maris and Reed out, Boateng as well finished the season strong and Quinn won’t play every game - think we’ll see a lot of rotation in midfield providing everyone stays fit
gregmtfc
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:03 pm

BH_Stag wrote:…………………….Pym……………………

……………………Reed…………………….

…………………..DKD……………………..

…………..Akins……Swan……………..

Youve cracked it.

ᕙ⁠(⁠ ͡⁠°⁠ ͜⁠ʖ⁠ ͡⁠°⁠)⁠ᕗ
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:30 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:Pym

Cargil Kilgour NEW CB

Up front Akins and Swan.

bench
Flinders
Johnson
JJOT
Clarke
Hartigan
Oates
Bowery

Sat in the stands
Perch
Quinn
Gale
DKD

Pym

I know you prefaced it with “I think Clough would select”, so it may not be what you’d pick and instead what you think Clough will do, but playing either Akins or Swan (and Oates for that matter) out wide in a 4-3-3 would be daft to me. Swan’s a striker. Never looked comfortable out wide. Akins has proven to be by far at his most effective when he plays up front centrally and can concentrate on his hold up play with his back to goal. His game isn’t running at defenders with the ball in wide areas.

I really hope Clough doesn’t use the 4-3-3. A diamond formation with Keillor-Dunn playing as a 10 behind Swan and Akins would provide us with a lot of goals, and crucially, all three of them would be playing in their best position.

Akins has 144 starts as a right winger - half of which were in league one. 20 in the Championship. It's not alien to him. He's made 151 starts as a centre forward (39 of which were for us)

as a right winger (this is acording to transfermarkt who can get positions incorrect and also do not say what position a "subbed on" player plays in so only starts count) he's made 2 starts for us. 19 minutes against Tranmere in March 2022 where he picked up an injury (Martin's report said he was at CF though in a different formation - see what I mean by may not be 100% accurate) and in the 1-0 win in the play off semi final against Northampton, a game where Bowery was on the left and both Bowery and Akins got rated a 9 by Martin.

I can't think of any other games where he played right-wing. He has played RWB for us but I can't think of any other game where he's started and finished as a right winger for us. Not really alot to judge on.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby SelstonStag88 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:48 pm

…………………….Pym……………………

……………………Reed…………………….

…………………..DKD……………………..

…………..Akins……Swan……………..

We will start with this 100%, what we finish the season with is anyone’s guess. Expecting big seasons from Johnson Reed and Boateng this year.
SelstonStag88
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby SelstonStag88 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:59 pm

Rob wrote:
Marky Mark wrote:
Rob wrote:

Splinters Mark?

I'd guess that's why he's signed Lewis and Macdonald, both attacking full backs. A diamond is naturally quite narrow so either Reed or Maris could play there, as I see it more a centre/left midfield role rather than a traditional wide midfielder. That said, I'd have no problem Boateng or Quinn ahead of Clarke but for me Reed and Maris must start, they will give us the quality and ball retention we need.

2 full backs in a diamond need to be defensively solid, very isolated position whoever plays there presuming Johnson RB Macdonald LB will be 2v1 most games.
SelstonStag88
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum