{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

players in

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: players in

Postby SeanieStag » Sun May 28, 2023 3:07 pm

They’ll be a new stand on Bishop Street by the time Naylor signs.
SeanieStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby PEAR CIDER » Sun May 28, 2023 9:46 pm

Lol people wouldn't sign naylor
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Mon May 29, 2023 8:47 am

PEAR CIDER wrote:Lol people wouldn't sign naylor

If it was my decision, I wouldn't sign him.

1) After the last episode with him and his agent I would say sorry you blew it,we cannot trust you.

2) We need a career centre back not another midfielder pushed into defence.

2) I expect his wage demands and probably any fee Wigan want to be out of our budgetary range.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Ralphy » Mon May 29, 2023 9:58 am

PEAR CIDER wrote:Lol people wouldn't sign naylor

Not saying that I wouldn’t sign Naylor but that we need to be careful and have firm boundaries especially with the agent involved. To be honest this would be an unbelievable signing for us as he is out of our league. I’d be happy for us to sign a left sided centre half and Harbottle on loan again, I think it will also become clear just how much a blow Hewitt being out for the season will be to us as not only is he a great player he allows NC to shuffle the back four around if needed
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby geoffhill » Mon May 29, 2023 10:10 am

Naylor would be a great signing.He played centre back and right back at mansfield.He played mostly midfield for Wigan and Portsmouth.Regards to the way he wet to Wigan was unfortunate.If you were offered twice the wage to sign for a club in a higher league then I think it is a no brainer.At least we seem to have signed a decent left back and with the January additions we are much stronger than this time last year.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby SeanieStag » Mon May 29, 2023 10:42 am

I don't want him. He's not what we need. We are wanting defenders and he isn't one. If we put him in midfield, we'd have to sell 2/3 other midfielders to generate enough money to pay for his expected high wages. It'll unbalance the team and, knowing our luck, he'd get injured in the first game and then we'd be short in midfield.
SeanieStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amber Andy » Mon May 29, 2023 10:55 am

SeanieStag wrote:I don't want him. He's not what we need. We are wanting defenders and he isn't one. If we put him in midfield, we'd have to sell 2/3 other midfielders to generate enough money to pay for his expected high wages. It'll unbalance the team and, knowing our luck, he'd get injured in the first game and then we'd be short in midfield.
I agree, I would rather us sign another established centre half like Kilgour. Nothing against Naylor, however he would be on top league two wages. I think the money could be used better elsewhere in the squad.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Mon May 29, 2023 11:08 am

Naylor would be a rolls Royce centre half at this level, especially with Kilgour at the side of him
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny H » Mon May 29, 2023 11:48 am

lifestags wrote:Naylor would be a rolls Royce centre half at this level, especially with Kilgour at the side of him

Except it's years and years since he has played in that position on a regular basis ??
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby TheMyTStags » Mon May 29, 2023 12:18 pm

Probably too much of a deal being made out of Naylor not playing CB recently. It's not like he's inexperienced in the position as he has played there regularly before, believe he started out as a CB. A large proportion of CDMs move to CB later on in their careers, and it's something that's regularly done by managers like Pep as they tend to have better ball playing abilities than out and out CBs. So long as he's playing alongside a traditional CB like Kilgour I don't see the issue.
TheMyTStags
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby lifestags » Mon May 29, 2023 12:20 pm

Johnny H wrote:
lifestags wrote:Naylor would be a rolls Royce centre half at this level, especially with Kilgour at the side of him

Except it's years and years since he has played in that position on a regular basis ??

O’Toole and Hawkins barely played CB in their career before joining us and at a time was probably our best centre back.

O’Toole when he first came in and Hawkins probably throughout his time here.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny H » Mon May 29, 2023 12:29 pm

lifestags wrote:
Johnny H wrote:

O’Toole and Hawkins barely played CB in their career before joining us and at a time was probably our best centre back.

Hawkins was a poor centre half...won most headers, but never saw him get the better of any centre forward on the floor.
O'Toole was excellent for 6 months....

We need better than them both
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby Ralphy » Mon May 29, 2023 12:36 pm

And Naylor would be better than both imo
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon May 29, 2023 12:41 pm

Ralphy wrote:And Naylor would be better than both imo

i thought our resident expert had confirmed Naylor was fake news ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon May 29, 2023 12:43 pm

Seriously, people don't think that Tom Naylor could play centre half in League 2? A position that he's hardly a stranger to.

Any of you ever had two different roles at work that you were plenty capable of?
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Ralphy » Mon May 29, 2023 12:48 pm

He would make a brilliant partnership with Kilgour, would also be a very strong back four with Macca and Hewitt still to come back as well
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby oldweststander » Mon May 29, 2023 1:07 pm

Johnny H wrote:
lifestags wrote:
Johnny H wrote:

Hawkins was a poor centre half...won most headers, but never saw him get the better of any centre forward on the floor.
O'Toole was excellent for 6 months....

We need better than them both

I think O'Toole is a likely to move on to be closer to home and get game time. It must be very frustrating travelling the distance he has to to not play.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Mon May 29, 2023 2:41 pm

What is the position with o Toole has he not recovered from injury or is he out of favour or form
Sorry Iam not up on the inside news
Anybody let me know ?
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon May 29, 2023 2:44 pm

tillydog123 wrote:What is the position with o Toole has he not recovered from injury or is he out of favour or form
Anybody let me know ?

Think he's been injured for a while last season. Will be interesting to see how he's used next season
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon May 29, 2023 3:11 pm

lifestags wrote:
Johnny H wrote:

O'toole has started 90 games as a CB here's a list of those games. That is just starts. I'm not going to go digging with sub appearances. O'toole has started 2 more games at CB for Burton than he has so far for us.

Hawkins has started 69 games as a CB Here's a list of those games. Again, just starts.

I did look into Naylor on there. Somewhere between 2011 and 2013 that website started inputting positions for players so his appearances for us wont show when I filter CB starts. He has 71 starts at CB that is tracked (he made 9 additional appearances for us). But here's the list anyway.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Mon May 29, 2023 6:34 pm

tillydog123 wrote:What is the position with o Toole has he not recovered from injury or is he out of favour or form
Anybody let me know ?

Nigel has said O'Toole has recovered from the injury but was not considered fit enough, having only trained once or twice, to make the bench before season's end.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon May 29, 2023 7:10 pm

John Joe O'Toole was clearly not right all season. I thought something was wrong in the 1st half away at Sutton United at the end of August. He had a terrible half and struggled to pass the ball accurately across the pitch. It was later reported he had a foot injury which he never really recovered from.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby w12stag » Mon May 29, 2023 7:25 pm

No one could pass the ball accurately across the pitch at Sutton last August
w12stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon May 29, 2023 8:46 pm

w12stag wrote:No one could pass the ball accurately across the pitch at Sutton last August

or Harrogate away…..again :roll: :roll:
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Tue May 30, 2023 9:15 am

Ta guys
Be good see O Toole come back fresh
Surely more of an asset to the club than DJ
tillydog123
Manager