{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Looo--un Town

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Looo--un Town

Postby James » Sun May 28, 2023 5:32 am

Just sounds like a miserable old man, moaning that things ‘aren’t what they used to be’
James
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun May 28, 2023 6:07 am

James wrote:Just sounds like a miserable old man, moaning that things ‘aren’t what they used to be’

I have no problem with change as long as it’s for the better. Look at things like cars. Far better and actually reliable compared to the rust buckets we had to endure in the mid/late 20th century.

For all the insistence that people are more aware of others are they actually as friendly? Do they do things for other’s benefits without even thinking about it?

To a miserable old man, some comments just sound like an ignorant self gratifying youth saying, ‘tough, just suck it up Grandad’. I hope you enjoy your modern experience.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sharp » Sun May 28, 2023 6:40 am

Elkesley Stag wrote:When Ryan Reynolds first had an interest in an English ( Welsh ) football club one of the reasons he gave for buying was that he could not believe the relegation and promotion system we have .Not sure how American sport leagues operate but must be different to here. Despise Barceluton but grudgingly admire the rise back from non league so quick is some achievement.gives hope to other clubs.

There is no promotion or relegation in the 4 main American Sports. They have a certain number of franchises, and times they expand the leagues with a new franchise, but aside from that teams aim to qualify for the play offs or not, that's it.

On the flip side they do try and create a bit more equality, certainly in the NFL, by giving the worst team from the year before the first pick on the yearly draft, so they can basically pick the best new player to add to their team. It does mean that coaches in the main get time to develop teams over a number of years as the threat of relegation, and associated financial loss doesn't happen.
Sharp
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sharp » Sun May 28, 2023 6:42 am

Elkesley Stag wrote:Has a point though, the disallowed goal for handball would have been allowed if he had passed to his teammate, only ruled out because the player who handled it went on to score.

I don't understand why such an insane rule exists, I'd never heard that, or paid it no attention until yesterday. Don't know it it pre-dates VAR or was brought in as handball was becoming so confusing, but if he had squared it and Luton would have scored, it would be crazy to have allowed the goal.
Sharp
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby zod » Sun May 28, 2023 7:17 am

Sharp wrote:
Elkesley Stag wrote:Has a point though, the disallowed goal for handball would have been allowed if he had passed to his teammate, only ruled out because the player who handled it went on to score.

I don't understand why such an insane rule exists, I'd never heard that, or paid it no attention until yesterday. Don't know it it pre-dates VAR or was brought in as handball was becoming so confusing, but if he had squared it and Luton would have scored, it would be crazy to have allowed the goal.

Any handball where a player gains and advantage in either attack or defence should be a free kick. I know the current rule but it’s pathetic.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Oladamber66 » Sun May 28, 2023 7:23 am

None of us on here would predicted that they would have been a premiership club 10 years ago ... but they are and enter it with possibly the worst ground ever ....i can see a lot of disappointed fans from both home and way scrambling to get tickets next season ....but good luck i say it just goes to show it can be done ....unlike ourselves left behind in good old league 2
Oladamber66
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby victor A block » Sun May 28, 2023 8:18 am

Just goes to show you need 4 stands, even if one is through someones back garden.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby PaulG » Sun May 28, 2023 8:40 am

Pretty sure that, although Kenilworth Road technically has four stands, one of them comprises solely executive boxes. You might argue that we could do the same, but laying on all the services for executive boxes on the opposite side of the ground from the kitchens would be an expensive ball-ache, and would the club be able to sell them in any event?
PaulG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Costastag » Sun May 28, 2023 9:52 am

PaulG wrote:Pretty sure that, although Kenilworth Road technically has four stands, one of them comprises solely executive boxes. You might argue that we could do the same, but laying on all the services for executive boxes on the opposite side of the ground from the kitchens would be an expensive ball-ache, and would the club be able to sell them in any event?

Think thats the stand they are going to redevelop to meet PLstandards got to be done
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Sun May 28, 2023 9:56 am

I appreciate that it isn't so long ago that we were playing Luton, and they have been a bit of a yoyo club at times, but comparing them with us and using that as a stick to beat our club with for not achieving the same is a bit far fetched. Their history and fan base is far superior to ours. Since football restarted after WW2 they have spent over 50 seasons in the top 2 divisions, 16 of them in the top tier. This is rather different to our single season in the 2nd tier. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see us back in that 2nd tier again, but we haven't failed just because we have been left behind by Luton and Coventry, both of which are much bigger clubs historically than us.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Oladamber66 » Sun May 28, 2023 2:18 pm

My view was mainly about the ground not being large enough for the premiership for home fans and away ....both clubs in the final yesterday have bigger fan base’s than us ...Coventry would have been the more likely ground wise etc
And no way was i demeaning our beloved stags.
Oladamber66
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Dan » Mon May 29, 2023 1:46 am

Luton Town are not in the Premiership. They are in the Premier League. The Premiership is the top division in Scotland. Sorry it’s just a bugbear of mine. :lol:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon May 29, 2023 5:23 am

Dan wrote:Luton Town are not in the Premiership. They are in the Premier League. The Premiership is the top division in Scotland. Sorry it’s just a bugbear of mine. :lol:

I always thought the premiership was in the conference :D :D same thing I suppose.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Oladamber66 » Mon May 29, 2023 6:46 am

thank you for correcting me you are clearly one of the more educated ones amongst us
Oladamber66
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Hon Sec » Mon May 29, 2023 8:15 am

There’s talk of Luton ground sharing with MK Dons for next season.
Hon Sec
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby part time pete » Mon May 29, 2023 8:16 am

Oladamber66 wrote:thank you for correcting me you are clearly one of the more educated ones amongst us

Ha ha ha :lol: :lol: :lol:
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby zod » Mon May 29, 2023 11:12 am

Dan wrote:Luton Town are not in the Premiership. They are in the Premier League. The Premiership is the top division in Scotland. Sorry it’s just a bugbear of mine. :lol:

They are actually in The Football Association Premier League Limited if we are splitting hairs. :lol:
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Oladamber66 » Mon May 29, 2023 11:15 am

Fine margins “your Honour “ Lol
Oladamber66
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Bros » Mon May 29, 2023 1:52 pm

I see they have had a bus top parade through the town. I hope they Found a parking space when they stopped :D
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Mon May 29, 2023 2:44 pm

Champions 1974-75, 1976-77, 2012-13

Freight Rover Trophy Winners 1986-87
KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:17 pm

Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:12 pm

£8-10m for the work is small change considering what they can make for just getting into the Premier League.

If they don't go mental and go full on Forest (where they signed every man and his dog) they'll likely come straight back down but have made enough money to sustain them for several years as a bit of a yo-yo club if they do it right.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Johan » Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:30 am

What a mess. That ground is completely unfit for purpose.
Johan
First Team
First Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:49 am

Johan wrote:What a mess. That ground is completely unfit for purpose.

I think you are probably correct in that analysis. On the other hand, I bet the big teams absolutely hate going there next year with only a handful of supporters and the opposition faithful screaming right on top of them.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:20 am

All I've seen is a lot of snobbery (not on here, but generally) around the Luton ground situation - that you have to enter the away end through someones garden, etc, almost as though you shouldn't be allowed to be a Premier League team unless you have a 50,000 all seater stadium with lasers and entertainment. To be fair, it's mainly from those who have only ever known big club Premier League football and the circus around it, and would be able to count the grounds they've been to on one hand. I got a free ticket for a Man City game towards the end of last year, and the football was almost secondary to the show that was put on before the game and during the breaks - I'd never want any of that - our Wembley visit last year was a similarly soulless experience once you got into the ground, even without the result adding to it.
For me, the Luton story and their ground is what's beautiful about the structure of the pyramid and our game, and one of the few things that have remained free from being sterilised by the powers that be - and I hope they manage to put a few noses out of joint in the Premier League.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum