{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from December 2020

23rd December 2020 23:19

English Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Mansfield Town 1 - 1 Southend United
Bowery 79. Olayinka 27
Attendance: behind closed doors

Date: 19 December 2020


Martin Shaw at the One Call Stadium, Field Mill

Mansfield Town came from behind to rescue a point at home to bottom club Southend United in a 1-1 draw on Saturday afternoon. Southend led 1-0 at half time after a terrible, lacklustre first half from the Stags who did nowhere near enough. The Stags were better in the second half and had gone close on several occasions before Jordan Bowery finally equalised with 11 minutes to go.

Southend started the better side and after Simeon Akinola headed wide, the visitors wanted a penalty on 8 minutes when Akinola went down in the box as he ran in to Ryan Sweeney. From my position in the West Stand it did not look like a foul by Sweeney. Southend manager Mark Molesley said “It’s the biggest stonewall penalty you will ever see.” It certainly wasn’t “stonewall” in my opinion, but perhaps could have gone either way. The referee gave the free kick to Mansfield and didn’t book Akinola for diving, and so I think he must have concluded it was a foul by Akinola running in to Sweeney. A close call anyway.

The Stags had a let-off after 20 minutes when James Olayinka had a free shot in the penalty area but he didn’t get any power on it and it was easily blocked by Sweeney.

But Olayinka made no mistake after 27 minutes, as he played a one-two with Terrell Egbri on the right, cut inside and fired a wonderful shot from an angle into the top left corner of the net, giving Marek Stech no chance. It was a great goal.

Mansfield’s best chance of the first half came on 30 minutes when George Maris teed up George Lapslie for a powerful shot from the edge of the D which was well-saved, and came out to Harry Charsley who tamely fired it straight back at the keeper. Charsley missed a similar opportunity on the rebound at Grimsby.

Such a disappointing first half for the Stags.

The Stags were unlucky not to equalise after 56 minutes. Stephen McLaughlin, just on as a substitute, did well to get to the byline on the left and crossed perfectly for Bowery whose header seemed destined for the net until defender Shaun Hobson sliced a goalline clearance against the underside of his own bar. The ball came out to Mal Benning whose goalbound shot was blocked by his own man Charsley.

Another golden chance to equalise for the Stags on 73 minutes as half time substitute Andy Cook headed down to Bowery who got to the edge of the box and elected not to shoot, instead teeing up Lapslie who only had the keeper to beat but fired wide of the right post. Then 3 minutes later, McLaughlin’s corner came out to Charsley, whose shot was blocked on the line.

The equaliser finally came with 11 minutes to go. Stech’s long free kick into the Southend half, was controlled by Bowery to Charsley who found Bowery again as Charsley was brought down. The referee waved play on, Bowery took a couple of touches to get into the area and fired low and hard into the net from 16 yards. A good goal from Bowery. Bowery could have elected to tee up Lapslie for a shot as Lapslie was unmarked, but it was good to see him take the shot himself, something he could have done more this season.

The Stags pushed for a winner as McLaughlin’s free kick was wide of the left post hitting the back stanchion, Ollie Clarke fired just wide of the right post from 25 yards, and Charsley’s header was saved on the line by the keeper, but it didn’t come.

So, just a draw and the Stags are still without a home win this season in the league. 10 games without a win at home. This is just one short of the club’s record in the league, which was 11, set in 1959, (see https://stagsnet.net/vintage/records/records01.html ">the club records page). Thanks to Paul Taylor for that.

The next game is on Boxing Day, and it’s a another big game at the bottom of the table as the Stags go to Scunthorpe (1pm kick off). In the meantime, have a merry Christmas everyone.



Jordan Bowery earns Mansfield Town point against Southend United
chad.co.uk, Saturday 19th December 2020

Jordan Bowery earned Mansfield Town a point as the Stags came from behind to draw with Southend United.

Jordan Bowery had seen a header cleared and struck the side netting before James Olayinka handed the Shrimpers a 27th minute lead, the on loan Arsenal man firing home from just inside the box.

The Stags responded with Harry Charsley and George Lapslie forcing saves from Mark Oxley.


Bowery went close again in the second half, his effort diverted onto the bar by Shaun Hobson.

But his persistence paid off in the 79th minute, Bowery driving home the leveller.


Mansfield Town 1-1 Southend United
Bowery (79'minutes). Olayinka (27'minutes)

Charsley (79'minutes). Egbri (27'minutes)

by John Lomas, Match report supplied by PA Media

Jordan Bowery rescued a late point but Mansfield's wait for a first home League Two win of the season continues as resurgent Southend secured a deserved draw.

The rock-bottom Shrimpers have now gone four games without defeat while Mansfield have failed to win any of their first 10 home games.

Southend took the lead through James Olayinka's superb 27th-minute finish.

Picking up a loose ball just inside the box, the Arsenal loanee was given time and space to pick out the top-left corner from 15 yards.

But it had taken a goal-line clearance from Timothee Dieng to prevent Bowery from heading Mansfield in front from Harry Charsley's cross after 15 minutes.

And on the half-hour, goalkeeper Mark Oxley made a fine double save to parry George Lapslie's shot and then hold onto Charsley's follow-up.

Mansfield almost levelled in the 56th minute as Bowery's header from Stephen McLaughlin's cross came off Shaun Hobson and rattled the crossbar.

Then Lapslie shot wide from 10 yards after being set up by Bowery.

But Southend's brave resistance was finally breached in the 79th minute when Bowery powered into the box and sent a low finish under Oxley.

Match stats, supplied by PA
Possession Home61% Away39%
Shots Home 17 Away 12
Shots on Target Home 6 Away 2
Corners Home 5 Away 2


Match report: Mansfield Town 1, Southend United 1
Southend Echo, By Chris Phillips, Saturday 19th December 2020

SOUTHEND United dug deep to secure a 1-1 draw at Mansfield Town this afternoon.

The Shrimpers, who have now gone four games without defeat, went in front in the first half with James Olayinka on target.

But the Stags dominated the second half and equalised 11 minutes from time with Jordan Bowery on target.


Blues looked bright early on and saw strong shouts for a penalty waved away when Simeon Akinola appeared to be pushed over by Mansfield defender Farrend Rawson.

However, referee Brett Huxtable somehow awarded a free-kick against the Shrimpers striker, much to the bemusement of the visitors.

The relieved home-side soon hit back with Bowery having a header cleared away in front of goal by Timothee Dieng before Blues replied with Alan McCormack dragging a long range effort wide of the right post.

Moments later, Emile Acquah saw a 20 yard shot saved by Stags goalkeeper Marek Stech before play switch back to the other end of the field with Jordan Bowery firing wide of the left post from a narrow angle.

But Blues were soon back on top and broke the deadlock in the 27th minute, courtesy of another excellent effort from Olayinka.

The on loan Arsenal youngster collected the ball on the right hand side of the penalty area before cutting inside and curling a brilliant left footed shot high into the top left hand corner of the net.

However, Blues were immediately indebted to goalkeeper Mark Oxley who pulled off a fine double save to keep the visitors in front.

Oxley parried away a long range effort from George Lapslie before recovering well to also smother Harry Charsley’s follow up effort.

But, with 36 minutes on the clock, Blues were forced into making a change as left-back Tom Clifford went off injured and was replaced by Sam Hart.

Mansfield made a substitution of their own at half-time with Andy Cook replacing George Maris before the hosts made a second change in the 53rd minute with ex Shrimpers winger Stephen McLaughlin replacing Jamie Reid.

And, three minutes later, the Stags came close to levelling as McLaughlin’s left wing cross was headed towards goal by Bowery before Shaun Hobson volleyed onto the crossbar as the Shrimpers somehow survived.

Blues boss Mark Molesley then opted to make a second change in the 58th minute with Michael Klass replacing Olayinka in the centre of the park.

A further three changes followed in the 68th minute with Richard Taylor replacing an injured McCormack, Greg Halford coming on for Akinola and Rob Howard taking the place of Emile Acquah for his first team debut.

But Mansfield continued to put the pressure on and wasted a huge chance to equalise in the 77th minute with Lapslie somehow firing wide of the right post from 12 yards.

Blues were not let off for long though as just two minutes later the Stags drew back level with Bowery netting with a low, well struck shot from the edge of the penalty area.

The home-side remained on top and soon almost went in front with captain Ollie Clarke firing just wide of the right post from 25 yards.

But the Shrimpers hung on to pick up a point which is not enough to see them work their way off the bottom of the League Two table.



Blues extended their undefeated run to four games as they drew 1-1 with the league’s draw specialists Mansfield Town at the One Call Stadium.

James Olayinka had deservedly put Southend in front midway through the first-half with a brilliantly taken left-footed strike that found the top corner of Marek Stech’s goal after some neat footwork from Terrell Egbri wide on the right.

Mansfield though pushed Southend back for the majority of the second 45 and they got their just rewards when Jordan Bowery powered home a low drive from just inside the area that went through the despairing dive of Mark Oxley.

Both sides had chances to win it late on with Southend standing firm to extend their run of games without defeat to four following a draw against Stevenage and back-to-back wins against Scunthorpe and Grimsby.

That victory against Grimsby in midweek earnt Blues a second successive win for the first time since October 2018 when Southend beat Fleetwood, Wycombe and Burton in succession, and Mark Molesley’s side were looking to repeat that feat at Mansfield’s One Call Stadium.

Molesley made three changes to his side from Tuesday night, with Alan McCormack coming in for the suspended Jason Demetriou, while Sam Hart and Kazaiah Sterling were replaced by Terrell Egbri and Simeon Akinola, and Akinola felt he should have won a penalty in the opening stages.

The striker carried the ball into the penalty area and dropped a shoulder to deceive defender Farrend Rawson before being up-ended for what appeared to be a stonewall penalty, but referee Brett Huxtable thought otherwise and gave Mansfield a free-kick for a foul.

Blues have had terrible luck with penalty decisions this campaign, and this was another to add to the growing list, and Mansfield almost capitalised on the misfortune when a header from Jordan Bowery had to be cleared off the line by Timothee Dieng.

From that point on though, Southend looked the more threatening of the two sides on a chilly afternoon in Nottinghamshire, with McCormack and James Olayinka having good chances go begging before Emile Acquah got goal side only to shoot straight at Marek Stech.

Southend needed to make their pressure count though and they made the breakthrough with a superbly taken strike from Olayinka. Some quick feet from Egbri allowed the ball to reach the Arsenal-loanee who fired into the top corner with his left foot to put Blues in front.

The visitors were more than worth their lead based on the opening half an hour, but Mark Oxley needed to be at his most alert to keep Southend ahead at the break with smart double save, first parrying a long-range effort from George Lapslie before saving Harry Charsley’s rebound.

Mansfield made two changes early in the second-half with former Blue Stephen McLaughlin coming on and immediately the Irishman created Mansfield’s best chance when his cross found the head of Bowery whose header was deflected onto the crossbar by Shaun Hobson.

Southend continued to get penned in by the home side and The Stags had another a gilt-edged opportunity to equalise come and go as Bowery nipped in, allowing the ball to fall to Lapslie who somehow failed to hit the target and keep Blues in front.

But Mansfield’s pressure eventually told as Bowery fired in the equaliser for the home side with 11 minutes remaining. The Stags number nine found himself in plenty of space in the box and quickly pulled the trigger with his shot flashing through Oxley to level things up.

Mansfield’s tails were now up as they smelt the chance to pick up their first home win of the season and McLaughlin went close to breaking his former employee’s hearts with a free-kick that went up and over the wall but narrowly missed Oxley’s right-hand post.

Blues were having to dig deep to keep Mansfield at bay as they went close again with a vicious shot from Ollie Clarke that fizzed just wide of Oxley’s goal before six minutes of added-on time were indicated for either side to grab a precious winner.

Both sides had chances in stoppage-time as Charsley had a header saved by Oxley and Egbri slashed a shot wide of the mark with both having to make do with a share of the points as Mansfield picked up an 11th draw of the season while Blues now remain unbeaten in four.

Mansfield Town XI: Stech, Benning, Sweeney, Rawson, Charsley, O’Clarke (C), Bowery, Maris (Cook 46’), Gordon (O’Keefe 90’), Reid (McLaughlin 53’), Lapslie. Subs Not Used: Stone, Menayese, Perch, Sinclair

Blues XI: Oxley (C), Bwomono, McCormack (R Taylor 68’), Hobson, Olayinka (Klass 58’), Dieng, Akinola (Halford 68’), Egbri, Clifford (Hart 36’), Acquah (Howard 68’), K Taylor. Subs Not Used: Seaden, Nathaniel-George

Referee: Brett Huxtable

Assistants: Richard Woodward & Paul Stonier

Fourth Official: Wayne Grunnill


Mansfield Town: Jordan Bowery 79’

Southend United: James Olayinka 27’

Yellow Cards:

Mansfield Town: Andy Cook 77’

Southend United: Michael Klass 72’, Richard Taylor 78’



Latest | December 2020