{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Latest News

15th October 2020 23:28

English Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Mansfield Town 0 - 0 Stevenage
Attendance: behind closed doors

Date: 10 October 2020

Martin Shaw at the One Call Stadium, Field Mill

Mansfield Town’s winless start to the season continued as they drew 0-0 with Stevenage at the One Call Stadium. Against the team who were only reprieved from relegation last season due to the demise of Macclesfield Town, the Stags didn’t do enough to deserve the victory, creating precious few chances, though came so close to winning it in the 4th minute of stoppage time as George Maris crashed a shot against the underside of the bar from 16 yards. Harry Charsley also hit the woodwork for the Stags in the first half, firing a great effort on the volley against the left post from about 14 yards.
Stevenage hit the woodwork themselves as Luther Wildin’s cross from the right was turned against the bar from 6 yards by Elliott List after 63 minutes. Stevenage also went close to scoring in the first half, moments after Charsley’s effort against the post, when Stags keeper Marek Stech completely miscued an attempted clearance which looked like it would present Innih Effiong with a free shot at an open goal but Stech recovered quickly to block his shot for a corner and spare his own blushes.
Stevenage keeper Jamie Cumming only had one significant save to make in the entire match when he pushed away James Perch’s excellent shot from 25 yards.
Other than that, Mansfield created nowhere near enough chances in a very disappointing performance as Stevenage were full value for their point. For much of the game, Mansfield seemed almost devoid of ideas as to how to break down a resolute Stevenage side.
The Stags continue to look low on confidence due to a lack of any wins, and it seems clear that those late goals conceded at Orient and Newport have been very demoralising for the team. One win still might change a lot, and it needs to come sooner rather than later, with the Stags languishing in 21st position, the same position as they finished last season.

The Stags made two changes from the last league game, the defeat at Newport: Marek Stech returned in goal in place of Aidan Stone. Stone was certainly unlucky to lose his place in my opinion having done well. Stech however was brought in by Coughlan to be the number one keeper. The other change saw Harry Charsley replace Ollie Clarke. Clarke had gone off with what manager Coughlan described as cramp at Newport, but it turned out to be a calf injury and Coughlan did not know how long he would be out but hoped it would only be one game. The Stags started with Reid and Maynard up front, the intention presumably being to attack Stevenage with pace given that their centre halves Scott Cuthbert, the former Luton defender, and Luke Prosser formerly of Colchester, were not the fastest. That plan did not work at all as Reid and Maynard were never given an opportunity to get in behind the defence.
Stevenage have brought in 14 summer signings to revitalise the side that was so poor last season. The latest signing was Jack Aitchison on loan, he played well against the Stags last season for Forest Green.



Mansfield Town secure a point after Stevenage stalemate
chad.co.uk, report from Press Association (by John Lomas)

Mansfield Town picked up a point as they were held to a goalless draw by Stevenage Borough.

Although both sides rattled the woodwork, the two rivals had to settle for a stalemate at One Call Stadium this afternoon.

Either team could dearly do with the three points, but today's contest was a case of stopping the rot - with Town and Borough both ending a run of three straight defeats.


The Stags did well to cope with some early Borough pressure, Marek Stech comfortably claiming Jack Aitchison's effort, James Perch dealing with Arthur Read's corner and Bradford City loanee Read also seeing an effort blocked.

At the other end, Nicky Maynard's strike was deflected off target before Harry Charsley's strike rattled the Stevenage post.

Stevenage's Elliott List let fly with an effort that cleared the bar while Town survived a goalmouth scramble just as Read thought he was about to open the scoring.

Stech did well to tip away Inih Effiong's powerful effort but it was the Stags who ebnded the half the stronger.

George Maris shot just wide before Charsley saw a drive fly over.

The second half got under ay with Aitchison's effort blocked by Farrend Rawson before Borough keeper Jamie Cumming was called upon to deny Corey O'Keeffe from close range, only for the flag to go up.

Cumming pulled off a stop that counted moments later as he denied Maynard.

More Stags presure saw Malvind Benning, on for the injured Stephen McLaughlin, fire inches wide.

Back came the visitors with List rattling the crossbar before Maris thought he’d snatched victory at the death, only for his 94th minute effort to rebound into play off the underside of the Borough bar.

STAGS: Stech, Menayese, Rawson, Sweeney, O'Keeffe, Perch, Charsley, McLaughlin (Benning 50) Maris, Maynard (Cook 74), Reid; Subs (not used): Stone, Bowery, Gordon, O'Driscoll, Smith.

STEVENAGE: Cumming, James-Wildin, Cuthbert, Prosser, Effiong, Hutton, List (81), Read, Smith (Vincelot 84), Marshall, Aitchison; Subs (not used): Johnson, Coker, Marsh, Vancooten, Akinwande.


Second away point for Stevenage after dour stalemate at Mansfield Town
by Neil Metcalfe

The movement to let fans in to football ground has gathered steam again over the last week and while that is the only outcome anyone wants, they certainly didn’t miss a lot as Stevenage drew 0-0 at Mansfield Town.

Stevenage travelled to Field Mill to take on Mansfield Town in their latest League Two game.Stevenage travelled to Field Mill to take on Mansfield Town in their latest League Two game.

It was a game that had little bursts of activity but in the end precious little entertainment, even if the woodwork was hit three times during the course of the contest.

Stevenage did show more of the fight that has come to be associated with them this season but the quality was lacking at times and their best efforts didn’t test the home defence enough.

The sides had come in to the game with just one win between them from their combined eight games and it showed at times, with neither of them looking fully committed in attack for fear of giving something away at the back.

Boro were the better of the teams in the first half with Jack Aitchison having two shots early on straight at Marek Stech.

Stevenage travelled to Field Mill to take on Mansfield Town in their latest League Two game.Stevenage travelled to Field Mill to take on Mansfield Town in their latest League Two game.
The nearest both teams to scoring in the first half remarkably came within 60 seconds of each other.

Mansfield went the closest with a shot across goal from the right side of the box by Harry Charsley pinging off he post and bouncing out.

The ball was cleared but ended up being played all the way back to Stech.

He sliced the clearance and Inih Effiong pounced, getting to the ball first and shooting, only for the keeper to just get back in time and deflect it wide.

Aitchison had a third shot that went wide and Jack Smith slipped as he attempted to fire home.

Effiong had their best effort.

He is well known for his strength but here he combined it with a bit of pace as he burst forward into the box and smashed an effort that Stech did well to get a hand up and palm into the side netting.

For the hosts Jamie Reid and Charsley both wriggled into space for shots but both were well off target.

It had been noticeable that Mansfield had looked unable to keep the ball for any period of time.

Boro were doing well, certainly with closing down and tackling, but they too hadn’t really used their possession as effectively as they could have done.

Stevenage did put a couple of hopeful balls into the box in the early going of the second half but it was Mansfield who looked a lot sharper and keener to get on the front foot.

A free-kick played into the box almost did just that as it landed at the feet of Corey O’Keeffe, six yards out and in behind the last defender.

It needed Jamie Cumming to make a smart stop but the offside flag went up late making it all moot.

Cumming did make a save that did matter not long after, batting down a close-range shot from Nicky Maynard, and then got two strong hands to a firm drive by James Perch.

At the other end Elliot List had a swing and a miss when a ball dropped to him from a corner while a whipped cross from Arthur Read was ahead of the strikers.

A header from Ross Marshall also went wide while centre-back got his nodded attempt on target but straight at Stech.

With the game heading towards a seemingly dour and expected end, Stevenage almost grabbed a winner out of nothing.

Luther James-Wildin had put in two decent crosses and it was from the second of them that List stuck out a leg and diverted if onto the top of the crossbar.

It was a nonchalant flick, little more than a dangling foot but it was almost the killer touch.

There was to be one final moment of drama, and a let-off for the Hertfordshire side as George Maris let fly from just inside the box but his shot hit the underside of the bar and bounced down and out.

In the end though the draw was the right result and fans will be hoping the entertainment arrives in time for their return.

Stevenage: Cumming, James-Wildin, Cuthbert, Prosser, Effiong, Hutton, List (Newton 81), Read, J.Smith (Vincelot 84), Marshall, Aitchison.

Subs (not used): Johnson, Coker, Marsh, Vancooten, Akinwande.

Booked: Newton 88

Mansfield Town: Steech, O’Keefe, Menayese, Sweeney, Rawson, Charsley, Maris, Perch, Reid, McLaughlin (Benning 49), Maynard (Cook 74).

Subs (not used): Stone, Bowery, Gordon, O’Driscoll, A.Smith

Booked: Maynard 65

HT: Mansfield Town 0 Stevenage 0

Referee: Sebastian Stockbridge (Gateshead)