{ the news }
 
Stagsnet wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
Archived News from November 2019

9.15PM UPDATE: MACCLESFIELD GAME GOES AHEAD
16th November 2019 0:30


9.15pm, Fri 15 Nov 2019

Macclesfield Town v Mansfield Town: Game goes ahead after strike threat averted

bbc.co.uk

Macclesfield Town's home game with Mansfield Town on Saturday will go ahead, following the strike threat from unpaid Macc players.

The League Two club's players had refused to train and said that they would not play unless they are paid.

But the English Football League has now advised that the game will take place.

A statement said: "The EFL has this evening received assurances from Macclesfield that their fixture with Mansfield will go ahead as scheduled."

The EFL charged the Silkmen with misconduct on Thursday after they failed to pay players on time.

Read more at https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50438021

They had given Macclesfield until 16:00 GMT on Wednesday to provide information after investigating the situation over unpaid wages.

Although Macclesfield reportedly began paying players and staff this week, BBC Sport understands only three were paid.

Mansfield Town were first to break the news (Friday 9.15pm) that Saturday's game would take place as scheduled

The players, who extended an initial deadline of 18:00 GMT on Friday night by two hours, went on strike last week over unpaid salaries.

The Silkmen went on to field youth and loan players in last Sunday's 4-0 FA Cup loss to seventh-tier Kingstonian after first-team players refused to play.

But the Leasing.com Trophy tie against Shrewsbury went ahead as planned on Wednesday.

Players had been advised not to train beforehand because of concerns over health insurance, but the club has since paid the premiums.

The club has previously been taken to court by players over unpaid wages and, in May, under then manager Sol Campbell, they considered boycotting the final match of last season for similar reasons.

Meanwhile, Cheshire Police said on Thursday they received a report in relation to a financial matter at the club, however this is separate to the EFL's charge of misconduct.

-------------------

Confirmation all first team players available:

twitter Mike Minay @MikeMinay (BBC Manchester)

Sources: Three players are yet to receive full payment but united front all to play.

Some football and regular staff are yet to be paid.

Hopefully resolved by Monday.

-----------------

 

Latest | November 2019