{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from August 2017

14th August 2017 19:29

Carabao Cup (English Football League Cup) - Round 1
Mansfield Town 0 - 1 Rochdale
Rose missed pen 82. Camps 17
Attendance: 1457 (121 from Rochdale)

Date: 8 August 2017

Martin Shaw at the One Call Stadium, Field Mill

Mansfield Town bowed out of the League Cup at the first hurdle, beaten 1-0 at home by Rochdale. The Stags have failed to get past the first round of this competition since 2006. The only goal game after 17 minutes when Callum Camps fired a magnificent shot into the top corner from 25 yards when a corner was cleared to him. Rochdale created very few chances on the evening as the Stags defence impressed, in particular last season’s consistent pair Rhys Bennett and Krystian Pearce, while at the other end the Stags should have at least taken the game to extra time with Paul Anderson so unlucky to see his shot hit the post, and then late on Danny Rose missed a penalty, a poor scuffed effort as his low shot straight down the middle was saved by the trailing legs of the diving keeper. Against a side as good as Rochdale, who just missed out on the League One play-offs last season, this was a decent performance from the Stags but it lacked that quality in the final third. The delivery from set pieces and crosses in general was disappointing, from the likes of Byrom, Benning, and others. Anderson impressed in midfield (particularly in the first half), as did Digby, who showed great energy from box to box. Sterling-James showed some great touches, down the wings as opposed to up front, and posed the Rochdale defence plenty of problems especially in a purple patch in the second half to earn his sponsor’s man of the match award. Olejnik had as quiet a night as he can expect all season, and had no chance with the goal (plus one cross that sailed over him and hit the bar).

A word on the weather and on the pitch. It had rained hard all day in Mansfield, since early morning, yet the pitch coped superbly thanks to the new drainage put in over the summer. Paul Broughton showed me a video of the water from the drainage system pouring away on the Bishop Street side, quite remarkable. There is no doubt whatsoever that this game would never have gone ahead last season or any previous season, and the £100,000 spent on the pitch by John and Carolyn Radford, and the excellent work of groundsman Mez Merriman and his team, has turned the pitch into one that wouldn’t be out of place in the Premier League.



MATCH REPORT: Camps cracker sinks Stags’ Carabao Cup hopes
chad.co.uk.uk, by JOHN LOMAS, Tuesday 08 August 2017

Mansfield Town once again fell at the first hurdle in tonight’s Carabao Cup tie as they were pipped 1-0 by League One Rochdale in a thrilling tie at a rain-soaked One Call Stadium. The Stags gave their all and almost forced extra-time when sub Danny Rose won a penalty eight minutes from time only to see Josh Lillis make the save with his legs. Mansfield Town vs Rochdale - Mansfield Town fall behind to a Callum Camps strike - Pic By James Williamson In the end the match was won by a goal worthy of winning any football match as Callum Camps curled the ball into the top corner from 25 yards. Paul Anderson came closest for the home side when he volleyed against a post on 29 minutes on a filthy night with incessant rain. Both sides deserve huge praise for producing such an entertaining full-blooded tie in such poor conditions. But, despite Mansfield’s excellent late pressure, classy Dale just had a little too much to let Stags get past this first round stage for the first time in 11 years. The pace of Omari Sterling-James and clever work by Paul Digby asked lots of questions of the League One side, but they had answers every time. In came Bobby Olejnik, Rhys Bennett, Paul Digby, Krystian Pearce, Jimmy Spencer and Omari Sterling-James in place of Conrad Logan, Zander Diamond, Jacob Mellis, Hayden White, Danny Rose and Lee Angol as Mansfield made six changes from last weekend’s 2-2 opening draw at Crewe. Stags had Olejnik and Spencer making full debuts and Digby and Sterling-James making their first full starts for the club as fans got to see seven of the 13 summer signings start the night. Bennett was back from a bruised foot to play against his former club alongside fellow former Dale player Atkinson, though ex-Dale keeper Logan was on home the bench. Ex-Stag Calvin Andrew, who once scored a local derby winner for Mansfield at Chesterfield, was on the Dale bench. In the opening minute Camps launched in a far post cross from the right where Williams headed over as Rochdale started the night with a statement of intent. But the home side might have done better on seven minutes as Atkinson intercepted a loose pass and raced down the right before drilling the ball to no one across the box. Great work by Digby on 14minutes set up a shooting chance for Anderson on the left of the box. But his near post effort lacked bite and was kept out easily by Lillis’ feet. Instead it was the visitors who drew first blood with a beauty of a goal on 17 minutes. A corner was cleared out as far as Camps 25 yards from goal and he curled a superb finish under the right angle to beat Olejnik all ends up. It was almost 2-0 on 25 minutes as Done broke well down the right but sent a low finish skidding across goal on the wet surface and wide of the far post. Four minutes later an Anderson corner was played back out to him. He tried to cross again but the ball ricocheted back to him and this time he met it with a vicious volley that came back off the far post. Seconds later a poor pass from Ntlhe gave the ball to Spencer who was inches wide with his low 20 yard finish. Benning got a good block onto a Camps shot and Williams sent an 18-yard shot at Olejnik as the visitors settled down again following the spell of home pressure and went in with that slender advantage. Four minutes into the second half Digby slipped a clever pass into the box where Atkinson buried a shot into the sidenetting from the right. Spencer did well on 57 minutes to pick out Sterling-James at the far post. But his volley sailed across goal and wide. Sterling-James then saw a low shot deflect into the keeper’s arms as the home fans got behind their side’s efforts. On 63 minutes Stags had a real scare as Ntlhe’s left wing cross came back off the home bar. Then Rathbone fired into the near sidenetting from Ntlhe’s pass. Stags made their first change change on 70 minutes as Hamilton replaced Byrom, then on 77 minutes Rose joined the action in place of Spencer before Potter was the last change three minutes later for Anderson. With eight minutes to go Rose won the chance to level the game from the spot, drawing a trip from Canvan in the box. But the keeper was able to block with his trailing legs as he dived to his left. Stags ended the game strongly with plenty of balls into the box and corners, but Dale stood firm.

STAGS: Olejnik, Bennett, Pearce, Mirfin, Benning; Atkinson, Byrom (Hamilton 70), Digby, Anderson (Potter 80), Sterling-James, Spencer (Rose). Subs not used: Logan, Angol, Taft, Hunt.

ROCHDALE: Lillis, Rafferty, Ntlhe (Andrew 90), McNulty, Canavan, Brown, Camps, Williams (Davies 65), Rathbone, Done (Inman 80), Henderson. Subs not used: Collis, Cannon, Morley, Kitching.

REFEREE: Andy Madley of Huddersfield.

ATTENDANCE: 1,457 (121 away).

CHAD STAGS MAN OF THE MATCH: Omari Sterling-James.

Read more at: http://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/mansfield-town/match-report-camps-cracker-sinks-stags-carabao-cup-hopes-1-8692739


Report: Mansfield 0-1 Dale
rochdaleafc.co.uk, Tuesday 08 August 2017

A superb Callum Camps strike sent Dale through to the second round of the Carabao Cup with a 1-0 victory over Mansfield Town.

Camps struck in the 17th minute with a fine curling effort from distance, whilst Kgosi Ntlhe and Ollie Rathbone struck the woodwork in a second half which saw Josh Lillis save a Danny Rose penalty in the final ten minutes.

There were four changes from Saturday’s opener at Portsmouth. Joe Rafferty, Niall Canavan, Matty Done and Jordan Williams all started, with the latter making his debut for the Club.


The first chance fell to the debutant, when he headed over Camps’ right-wing cross inside the first minute.

Paul Anderson had the hosts’ first effort, but was denied by the feet of Josh Lillis. It proved to be an important save, as Camps fired Dale ahead with a stunning strike four minutes later.

A corner was headed away at the near post as far as the Dale Vice-Captain, and he took a touch before curling a wonderful effort into the top corner from 25 yards.

Done was eager to open his account in his third spell with the Club, latching onto a ball over the top before cutting inside, but he sent his shot wide of the far post.

Former Dale loanee Will Atkinson was a post’s width away from equalising just before the half hour mark, when he fired an incredible volley off the inside of the far post.

In a strong spell for the hosts, Jimmy Spencer picked up a loose square ball from Kgosi Ntlhe and drove forward, but fired a low shot wide.

However, Dale were soon back on top and finished the half strongly. Camps had a shot deflected from the edge of the area, before a good passing move led to Williams having an effort comfortably held.

Done’s eyes lit up when Ian Henderson’s cross seemed to be on a plate for a close-range header, before Bobby Olejnik clawed the ball away.

Anderson had a shot blocked from close range after Lillis had tipped away a deep cross, which allowed Dale to break through Camps. He drove across the halfway line and beat his man to find space, but dragged his shot well wide.

The hosts created the first few chances of the second half, when Atkinson and Omari Sterling-James both fired wide of the target. Sterling-James then did well to get into the area on right side, but his shot was deflected into the arms of Lillis.

Ntlhe struck the woodwork for Dale when his cross deceived Olejnik and almost drifted in, before bouncing clear of danger.

Williams was replaced by Steven Davies in the 65th minute with Dale’s first change, and he was involved in a move which led to Ollie Rathbone firing a sweet drive off the outside of the post.

Bradden Inman replaced Done with ten minutes remaining, but just two minutes later it was Lillis at the other end who was called into action.

Canavan was deemed to have fouled substitute Danny Rose inside the area. Rose stepped up to take the penalty, but was denied by the legs of Lillis when he fired down the middle.

Despite the penalty miss, the Stags continued to push for an equaliser, but only a Krystian Pearce sliding effort from a deep corner breached Dale’s resolute defending.

Calvin Andrew replaced Ntlhe in the first of three minutes added time, and he had the last touch of the game when he superbly headed away a corner which was aimed for Mansfield stopper Olejnik at the death.

Dale advance to round two of the Carabao Cup, with the draw to be made on Thursday evening.



Latest | August 2017