{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from April 2016

14th April 2016 17:43

Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Carlisle United 1 - 2 Mansfield Town
Miller 90+4. Daniel 21, Lambe 62.
Attendance: 4426 (156 from Mansfield)

Date: 9 April 2016

Martin Shaw at Brunton Park

After a run of 2 points from 7 games, Mansfield Town deservedly won 2-1 at Carlisle United this afternoon in an entertaining game. There was an early scare for the Stags when Alex Gilliead hit the outside of the post for Carlisle but Mansfield went close through Matty Blair and then Carlisle keeper Gillespie made a great save from a header from his own defender Ellis under pressure from Matt Green. Then Adam Chapman, Reggie Lambe, and Mani Dieseruvwe all had shots, before Colin Daniel finally gave the Stags a deserved lead on 21 minutes, smashing home from 10 yards after Tafazolli did well to head down a Chapman corner. Carlisle went close to equalising before the break as Jabo Ibehre poked wide from close range, just scraping the outside of the post, and Chapman did superbly to clear off the line from Tom Miller. Miller might have been shown a red card for a bad challenge on Dieseruvwe but despite Mansfield players surrounding the referee, Miller escaped with a yellow. Carlisle had plenty of possession in the second half but rarely looked like equalising and the Stags increased the lead on 62 minutes when Reggie Lambe, who had a fine game, got the ball onto his left foot in the area on the right, and sent a low shot inside the near post, beating the keeper who was probably unsighted. The Stags could have had a penalty on 73 minutes when Lambe was tripped in the area after turning a defender inside out, but the referee waved away the appeals. After the game, Lambe confirmed to me that he was definitely tripped, as I thought. Ryan Tafazolli could have made it 3-0 on 79 minutes when his volley from a corner was saved low down by the keeper. Moments earlier, Mal Benning, on as a sub, made a brilliant tackle to deny Derek Asamoah. Carlisle finally created some clearcut chances towards the end of the 90 minutes as Shearer saved with his legs from Gilliead on 85 minutes, then Hallam Hope’s shot deflected wide off Tafazolli, and on 90+2 minutes Grainger’s shot was blocked by Chapman on the line and somehow spun wide. Carlisle got a consolation goal in the final minute of stoppage time as Miller scrambled in following a Grainger cross.

A good performance from the Stags, as it had been at Hartlepool last Saturday, but the difference this time was no silly mistakes at the back as the Stags were noticeably more careful in not committing fouls, and the Stags also had the rub of the green a couple of times. Good performances throughout the team, with Scott Shearer catching most things that came into the box, the full backs Dan Alfei and Colin Daniel and then Daniel’s replacement Mal Benning doing well, Tafazolli dominant in central defence with Collins solid alongside him. Adam Chapman had a good game, with two goal-line clearances and some good balls forward. Reggie Lambe had a good game and deserved his goal, while Jack Thomas was impressive in central midfield. It was Mansfield’s first win over a team in the top half of the table this season. The Stags are six points behind the play-offs with five games to go. Hopefully this victory can be a springboard into a good end to the season to give the club some momentum, and next up a local derby with Notts County next week which will be an important game for local bragging rights.



REPORT: Carlisle 1-2 Mansfield Town
chad.co.uk report By Sportsbeat (Agency), Saturday 09 April 2016

Mansfield Town breathed new life into their play-off aspirations as they recorded a notable 2-1 victory away to promotion-chasing Carlisle United.

A run of seven games without a win had seen the Stags’ hopes of a top-seven finish fade, but goals from Colin Daniel and Reggie Lambe either side of half-time earned all three points for the visitors.

Read more: http://www.chad.co.uk/sport/mansfield-town/mansfield-town-news/report-carlisle-1-2-mansfield-town-1-7843645#ixzz45MWG6Anh

Adam Murray’s men more than held their own in an entertaining first half but squandered two early chances, the best of which fell to Matt Green, who forced an impressive save from Cumbrians goalkeeper Mark Gillespie with a powerful header.

They wouldn’t be denied moments later though when Daniel latched on to a tame clearance from a corner, lashing the ball into the net from ten yards to give the visitors a deserved lead.

The goal galvanised the hosts however, who had only hit the post with a low Alex Gilliead drive prior to conceding in a timid start.

Jason Kennedy miscued an overhead kick from eight yards on 26 minutes, before Jabo Ibehre touched wide at the near post following a low cross from the right by Kennedy.

The half-time break came at a good time for the Stags as the hosts had began to turn the screw but it was Mansfield who dealt their opponents a 62nd minute sucker-punch.

An unmarked Lambe picked up the ball on the edge of the area, before twisting and turning and firing low into the back of the net under little pressure from the Carlisle defence. Gillespie was also slow to react.

Carlisle earned a consolation strike through Tom Miller in the 94th minute but Mansfield held on to claim what could yet prove a precious victory in their hunt for a play-off place.


MATCH REPORT: United 1 - 2 Mansfield
by Andy Hall, carlisleunited.co.uk

Match report from the Saturday afternoon game
Carlisle didn't quite find the final ingredient on a day when they created chances but failed to deliver against a very resolute Mansfield side.

Mansfield pounced forward from the off as Lambe strode into the United half but his cut-back was cleared by Raynes as he tried to find the run of the strikers.

Read more at http://www.carlisleunited.co.uk/news/article/match-report-from-the-saturday-afternoon-game-3044038.aspx#BiXSuUUI7AjfBC7a.99

Carlisle quickly asserted themselves in midfield and crosses from Gilliead and Grainger had to be blocked. A twisting run from Gilliead created plenty of options and he left Collins in a heap on the floor as he cut in from wide. His shot had Shearer beaten but it rattled against the base of the post and bounced wide.

It wasn't all one-way traffic though and a dangerous Alfei cross caused problems as Dieseruvwe guided it into the six yard box. Thomas arrived late but Gillespie was alert and he raced out to get an important touch.

The Stags went close again when Alfei sent another cross in from deep. Green stretched to meet it but Ellis was relieved to see his keeper make a fantastic save as he intervened with a diving header which almost turned into an unbelievable own goal.

A brace of Grainger corners had the away side concerned as quality deliveries peppered the box at the other end with Carlisle keen to take control of proceedings. Shearer and his back four did just about enough to keep the blue tide at bay.

United lived dangerously midway through the half when a slip from Ellis allowed Lambe to break. He was blocked when the defender recovered but Raynes had to block again when Dieseruvwe followed up with a thumping volley.

Mansfield took the lead from the resulting corner when an initial clearance was nodded back into the mix. It eventually fell nicely for Daniel and he got his boot over the ball as he crunched it confidently into the back of the net.

Carlisle should have levelled moments later when Gilliead was pulled to the floor just 22-yards out. Grainger beat the wall with the free kick and Miller was there to lob the parry from Shearer back into the area. Kennedy had his back to goal and he was unlucky to see a difficult overhead kick fly just past the upright.

Kennedy did well to steal possession from Tafazolli as the defender hesitated inside his own area with Carlisle attacking in numbers at every opportunity. Ibehre came to the near post but it was a tight angle and he could only find the side netting.

More good football from Wyke opened things up for the hosts when he beat his man to give Comley a clean run. The QPR loanee ghosted past his marker and Shearer had to palm the ball wide as a whistling effort headed for the bottom corner.

Grainger was accurate with the set piece and Ellis put it back across goal with the keeper unsighted. Wyke got a touch but it was cleared off the line as two defenders stayed deep to help out.

The Mansfield goal lived a charmed life once more just before the break when Grainger found Ellis with another excellently worked corner. His nod down brought Ibehre into play but the striker somehow sent his volley wide from very close range.

A run from Gilliead ended with a dragged shot which bobbled wide as Carlisle tried to get things going after the break, and the same player did the same thing from the left flank but Shearer was well placed to drop low and gather.

Mansfield tried to slow things down and the tactic almost paid off when a wayward Raynes pass was picked up by Blair. He had to be tackled by Ellis as he shaped to shoot and Raynes was quick to make his apologies for the unforced error.

Ibehre screwed a mishit shot wide as Carlisle tried to pick up the pace but they were undone again on 62 minutes when Lambe went one way then the other outside the area. A snapshot caught Gillespie by surprise as it went into his bottom corner.

Hope was stopped in full flight by Shearer as Carlisle threw men forward and Asamoah was tackled by Tafazolli when the ball yet again didn't quite run for the home side.

Tafazolli should have wrapped things up beyond doubt on 78 minutes when he found the ball on his toe just 10 yards out. He connected firmly but his side-footed volley lacked power and Gillespie was able to save.

Miller popped one wide as he arrived late to a Grainger corner and Stacey scooped another shot over the bar as the expected onslaught didn't quite materialise.

Grainger was robbed of a late consolation when his whistling shot struck an unsighted man on the line but the gap to the play-offs extended to two points despite a late finish from defender Tom Miller which got his team onto the score sheet.


United - Miller (90)

Mansfield - Daniel (21), Lambe (62)


United - Miller (40), Comley (78)


Carlisle United - Gillespie, Miller, Ellis (Hope 60), Raynes, Gillesphey, Grainger, Kennedy (Stacey 74), Comley, Gilliead, Ibehre (Asamoah 68), Wyke. Subs - Hanford, Joyce, Atkinson, Sweeney.

Mansfield Town - Shearer, Collins, Chapman, Green, Daniel (Benning 38), Tafazolli, Dieseruvwe (Rose 50), Blair, Lambe, Thomas (McGuire 74), Alfei. Subs - Jensen, Beardsley, Yussuf, Baxendale.

Referee - Mr David Webb

Attendance - 4,426 (156 away fans)


Carlisle Utd 1 Mansfield Town 2
newsandstar.co.uk report

Carlilsle United's play-off hopes suffered a damaging blow as they went down to a 2-1 home defeat at the hands of Mansfield.

Goals from Colin Daniel and Reggie Lambe in either half earned the visitors their first win in eight games.

Blues defender Tom Miller grabbed a consolation with almost the last kick of the game.


But the Brunton Park setback cost Keith Curle's side the chance to progress towards a top-seven place.

Instead the Cumbrians slipped a further point adrift, and they are now two points outside the play-off zone in 10th, with five games remaining.

It proved a frustrating afternoon for United, who squandered some great first-half chances before struggling to create clear-cut opportunities after the break.

Alex Gilliead hit the outside of the post with an early attempt for Carlisle, who had Charlie Wyke back in their side at the expense of Jack Stacey.

At the other end Matty Blair and Lambe went close for the Stags, Mark Gillespie also saving well from Matt Green.

Adam Murray's side then opened the scoring when Daniel fired home after

Curle's side failed to clear a corner in the 21st minute.
United missed further chances to level as they put Mansfield under pressure.

Jason Kennedy hooked an overhead kick wide, and Jabo Ibehre missed a Tom Miller cross at the near post.

Brandon Comley drew a save from Scott Shearer, before Miller's header was cleared off the line by Adam Chapman.

Ibehre prodded another good chance wide at close range, after Miller had been booked for a challenge on Emmanuel Dieseruvwe that led to a melee of players.

Gilliead and Ibehre failed to take further chances before Lambe clinched the points in the 62nd minute.

The winger's low shot beat Gillespie at the near post, with the keeper seeming to see the shot late as Lambe shot through a crowd of players.

Carlisle, with subs Hallam Hope and Derek Asamoah on, applied more pressure but were unable to find a way to goal.

Miller and Hope had half-chances, and Ryan Tafazolli wasted a good opportunity for the Stags, before Carlisle captain Danny Grainger had an attempt blocked on the line in injury-time.

Miller then halved the deficit in the 94th minute, beating Shearer to the ball to stab home.

There was again no place for Louis Pedro in the United squad.

United: Gillespie, Miller, Gillesphey, Ellis, Raynes, Comley, Kennedy, Grainger, Gilliead, Ibehre, Wyke. Subs: Hanford, Joyce, Atkinson, Sweeney, Stacey, Hope, Asamoah.

Mansfield: Shearer, Alfei, Tafazolli, Collins (C), Chapman, Blair, Lambe, Thomas, Daniel, Green, Dieseruvwe. Subs: Jensen, Benning, Rose, Beardsley, Yussuf, Baxendale, McGuire.



Latest | April 2016