{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from December 2015

31st December 2015 19:03

Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Mansfield Town 1 - 1 York City
Pearce 31. Winfield 10
Attendance: 3958 (635 from York)

Date: 28 December 2015

Martin Shaw at the One Call Stadium, Field Mill

A disappointing result for Mansfield Town at home to York City this afternoon in a 1-1 draw. York belied their status in the bottom three of the league with a good start to the game and were much the better side in the opening 25 minutes. They were deservedly in front through a goal on 10 minutes as Luke Summerfield curled in a great free kick from the left and centre-half Dave Winfield was allowed to move forward completely unmarked and flick into the right corner of the net with his right leg from 8 yards. It was Lee Collins that he had escaped from. Extremely poor marking. Collins appealed in vain for offside. Video evidence is inconclusive as to whether he was offside. Another early goal conceded by the Stags. Mansfield have got the third best defensive record in the league conceding just 21 goals in total this season, but 9 of those goals have come in the opening 15 minutes of games. Having produced nothing in the opening 25 minutes, Mansfield were the better side for the remaining 20 minutes of the half. The Stags were level on 31 minutes with a great header by Krystian Pearce from 12 yards from a corner by Adam Chapman. Pearce directed his header just inside the left post and the keeper couldn’t reach it. 1-1 at half time and a fair reflection of the game. The second half was almost one way traffic though with Mansfield dominating possession and coming very close on three occasions to winning the game. On 64 minutes a brilliant cross from Nathan Thomas from the left and Matt Green somehow hit the bar from 2 yards with the goalkeeper nowhere and it seemed easier for Green to score. Five minutes later, the Stags hit the bar again as my man of the match Reggie Lambe fired a left footed shot from 22 yards that crashed off the woodwork. And then on 84 minutes, Chapman crossed from the right and Adi Yussuf got in a flying header from 10 yards that the keeper somehow kept out with a brilliant reflex save down to his right. All in all, a pretty entertaining game for a near-4000 crowd but frustration for the home fans at somehow not being able to force the victory. Some credit has to go to York, who looked better than a bottom-three side who had lost 5 away games on the trot. Four games unbeaten for Mansfield but three of those have been draws. The halfway point of the season and the Stags are two points behind the play-off zone. Worth reflecting that this time last year we were just five points above the relegation zone and in for an uncomfortable few months through to the end of the season. We’ve come a long way. Happy New Year everyone!



Monday, 28th December 2015: Mansfield Town 1, York City 1
chad.co.uk, by John Lomas

Mansfield Town saw two more home points slip from their grasp as struggling visitors York City left with a 1-1 draw from a thrilling game at One Call Stadium.

In front of a bumper festive crowd, Stags fell behind to a 10th minute Dave Winfield strike.

But the excellent Krystian Pearce headed them level on 31 minutes and York survived a string of home chances after the break.

Read more: http://www.chad.co.uk/sport/mansfield-town/mansfield-town-news/monday-28th-december-2015-mansfield-town-1-york-city-1-1-7645941#ixzz3vjVLyecD

Twice Stags hit the York bar, Matt Green hitting it from five yards when it seemed he must score, and twice Scott Flinders made good saves.

On a day when Stags announced the next three home games will be U18s £1 admission, fans were treated to a superb game with York always dangerous.

Ryan Tafazolli was dropped to the bench with a slight knock. Boss Adam Murray decided he couldn’t risk starting the young centre half today.

Mitch Rose was moved across to right back and Lee Collins into the centre of defence.

Back in the side was Craig Westcarr to play just behind lone striker Matt Green.

York, who ended a run of nine straight defeats with their win over Morecambe just before Christmas, included former Stags striker Vadaine Oliver.

After clearing an early Mansfield corner, the visitors created the first danger down the left, Ilesanmi eventually blazing well over from a tight angle on the left of the box on six minutes.

But the Minstermen were ahead on 10 minutes.

Summerfield curled in a free kick from wide on the left and, as the home back line moved up, they allowed Winfield to stroll between them and get a deft touch on the ball to beat Jensen.

On 16 minutes Clements was clattered by Summerfield 25 yards from goal. Chapman’s free kick was powerful and on target but straight at the keeper.

York could have been two up on 23 minutes but for a great save from Jensen.

Fewster was able to get In a good cross from the left to the far post where Oliver guided a strong header beyond Jensen, the keeper doing well to claw it away.

Soon after Fewster swept a low finish wide of the far post as home fans became restless.

Stags stepped up the pace and a good burst by Adams saw him denied by a last ditch tackle by Galbraith as he prepared to pull the trigger.

Then Blair showed good footwork down the centre to create space for a shot that deflected just over.

Mansfield were rewarded for their increased pressure with a goal from their fifth corner on 31 minutes.

Chapman floated it in from the right and Pearce met it with a well-guided header just inside the left post with Green well placed to make it hard for Flinders to see the ball coming.

Former Stag Oliver was jeered as he was finally booked for persistent fouling on 33 minutes after he brought down Collins.

Summerfield was a lucky man when Westcarr robbed him as he tried a risky turn on the edge of his own box and the referee decided Westcarr had fouled him.

York won their first corner of the game in stoppage time and Summerfield’s flag kick somehow curled right across the face of goal through everyone and out for a goalkick.

Westcarr forced the keeper into a close range save on 48 minutes on the left after Adams had put a half-cleared free kick back into the box.

A minute later Flinders had to stretch upwards to grab an on-target Lambe shot.

Green then called for a penalty though contact looked minimal.

Play switched upfield and from a quickly taken free kick Fewster pulled a low shot wide from 25 yards.

On 53 minutes Lambe and Winfield clashed after a challenge with home fans angry only Lambe was booked.

On 55 minutes Adams sent in a skidding free kick that Flinders grabbed with no one able to get the touch needed.

Stags sent on Nathan Thomas for Blair on 56 minutes.

On 63 minutes Fewster left Rose on his backside on the left before cutting inside and then screwing a poor finish high and wide.

A minute later Green missed a golden chance. Nathan Thomas got to the left by-line and drilled in a low cross that Green met five yards from goal. It seemed he must score but the ball flew up and hit the bar.

On 70 minutes Stags again hit the York bar as Lambe fired a shot goalwards from over 20 yards.

Soon after Lambe warmed Flinders’ hands from 25 yards, the keeper safely palming the ball away.

Clements stretched for a tackle on 74 minutes but caught the man first and was booked.

Oliver wasn’t far off reaching a cross from sub Carson at the far post as York continued to show they still had threat.

On 84 minutes Chapman curled a cross in from the right and Yussuf threw himself into a diving header which brought a good stop out of Flinders.

Out of the blue on 88 minutes York skipper Penn almost won it with a great strike from 25 yards that only just missed the target.

STAGS: Jensen, Rose, Pearce, Collins, Chapman, Clements, Green, Westcarr (Yussuf 78), Blair (Nathan Thomas 56), Lambe, Adams. Subs not used: Shearer, Beardsley, Tafazolli, J. Thomas, McGuire.

YORK CITY: Flinders, Ilesanmi, Berrett, Nolan, Summerfield, Oliver, Penn, Winfield, Boyle, Fewster (Carson 76), Galbraith. Subs not used: Ingham, Straker, Swan, Godfrey, McEvoy, Kitching.

REFEREE: Darren Handley of Lancashire.

ATTENDANCE: 3,958 (635 away)



Dave Winfield on target again as York City draw 1-1 at Mansfield
by Dave Flett, yorkpress.co.uk

YORK City held out for a point at Mansfield Town after defender Dave Winfield’s second goal in as many games had given the visitors an early lead.

Krystian Pearce levelled the scores for the Stags just after the half-hour mark and Jackie McNamara’s men then showed great determination to earn a share of the spoils as the hosts hit the bar twice and called Scott Flinders into impressive action during a second-half onslaught.


It was the Minstermen, though, that had made the early running with Femi Ilesanmi drilling over from an acute angle before Winfield opened the scoring on ten minutes.

James Berrett won a free kick on the left and Luke Summerfield’s delivery picked out an unmarked Winfield eight yards from goal.

The City centre back, with his back to goal, then appeared to use his heel to guide the ball into Brian Jensen’s bottom-left corner.

After Adam Chapman’s 25-yard free kick was caught at a comfortable height by Flinders, ex-Burnley keeper Jensen clawed away a far-post Vadaine Oliver header after Ilesanmi had released Bradley Fewster down the left.

Fewster also flashed a 15-yard chance across the face of Mansfield's goal after Oliver had won an aerial ball.

The Stags, though, began to win a series of corners with Chris Clements slicing wide from the edge of the box after Chapman’s left-wing delivery.

Ex-City favourite Matty Blair went on to shimmy past Russell Penn and Summerfield before seeing a 20-yard attempt deflected over and the hosts levelled from a 31st-minute flag kick.

Chapman crossed in from the right this time and Pearce climbed high to plant a powerful downward header into Flinders’ bottom-right corner from eight yards.

Mansfield started the second half strongly with Flinders smartly smothering a far-post Craig Westcarr chance before also holding on to Reggie Lambe’s rising 15-yard attempt.

At the other end, Fewster drove wide from 30 yards and also fired over from just inside the box after cutting inside from the left and leaving Mitchell Rose on his backside.

City survived a 64th-minute scare when Matt Green clipped the top of the crossbar from six yards after being picked out by substitute Nathan Thomas’ low left-wing cross.

Thomas also fired high and wide from 20 yards before Lambe rattled the Minstermen’s crossbar from a similar distance.

An ambitious 35-yard Thomas effort went on to miss the target and Green’s edge-of-the-box shot required a flying save from Flinders after Danny Galbraith had surrendered possession in a dangerous position.

Moments later, Jensen kept out Galbraith’s attempt from an unfavourable angle at the other end but Flinders had to produce a stunning save on 84 minutes from Adi Yussuf’ ten-yard header after Chapman’s left-wing cross.

But the visitors also had their late chances with Oliver shooting speculatively wide from 30 yard and Penn’s spectacular 25-yard strike flashing narrowly wide.



Latest | December 2015