{ the news }
Stagsnet wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
Archived News from December 2015

17th December 2015 21:07

Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Mansfield Town 3 - 1 Leyton Orient
Lambe 40. Simpson 12
Attendance: 2935 (444 from Orient)

Date: 12 December 2015

Martin Shaw and Simon Chamberlain at the One Call Stadium, Field Mill

Seventh-placed Mansfield Town and eight-placed Leyton Orient played out a 1-1 draw in dreadful conditions at the One Call Stadium this afternoon. With heavy rain falling all day from 8am, the game only went ahead after a 1.30pm pitch inspection and it was a great credit to groundsman Mez Merriman and his groundstaff that the pitch held up well throughout, with the rain never stopping. But the conditions were very difficult with an unpredictable swirling wind and the ball sometimes skipping off the surface and other times sticking. The first half was a dreadful spectacle. Leyton Orient were in front on 12 minutes. In the build-up to the goal, the ball bounced up and struck John Marquis on the hand. The Stags players appealed for hand-ball but the referee waved play on. Marquis swept the ball out to Jobi McAnuff on the left wing. McAnuff cut back inside Lee Collins too easily on to his right foot, crossed into the middle and Jay Simpson stole in front of Krystian Pearce to glance a header into the net from 6 yards over the outstretched Jensen. It poor goal to concede, and so early on. Mansfield lacked quality, though Leyton Orient were little better. The Stags were level on 40 minutes with a goal out of the blue. A throw-in from Collins to Craig Westcarr, near the corner flag, Westcarr lobbed the ball into the area, Reggie Lambe met it on the volley from 15 yards to direct it towards to the bottom right corner of the net. The ball may or may not have just glanced off Matt Green’s ankle before nestling in the bottom right corner of the net. Orient players appealed for offside. UPDATE: From behind-the-goal video camera it is still not clear whether it did glance off Green, so we are going to stick with crediting the goal to Lambe; while from the main camera it appears that Green was not offside. Mansfield were however perhaps fortunate to be level at the break. However the Stags were much the better side in the second half, and were unlucky not to take the lead on 64 minutes when Pearce headed against the post from a corner. The Stags also went close on 86 minutes when Green glanced a header wide from an Adam Chapman free kick from the left. The Stags were annoyed in stoppage time as Green burst past last man M’Voto and was cynically hacked down. The referee only booked M’Voto presumably because Green still had 45 yards to run at goal. A good second half performance from the Stags which drew applause from the home fans at the final whistle, and a creditable point, which could have been three, keeps Mansfield in the play-off positions.



Football League Paper 13Dec15


Saturday, 12th December 2015: Mansfield Town 1, Leyton Orient 1
chad.co.uk report by John Lomas

Mansfield Town had to make do with a point as they came from behind to draw 1-1 with fellow play-off chasers Leyton Orient in appalling conditions at One Call Stadium this afternoon.

The game survived a pre-match pitch inspection, but the surface was sodden, the rain continued throughout and a strong, swirling wide gave the two sides little chance to play attractive, flowing football.

Read more: http://www.chad.co.uk/sport/mansfield-town/mansfield-town-news/saturday-12th-december-2015-mansfield-town-1-leyton-orient-1-1-7620954#ixzz3u9B9KDO1

Stags have still to beat a side in the top 15 this season, but will take great heart from earning the point the hard way after goal ace Jay Simpson had headed Orient into a 12th minute lead.

Reggie Lambe provided the equaliser on 40 minutes and Krystian Pearce headed a great chance wide after the break as the home side piled the pressure on the Londoners, who have only won once in six League games now.

Jamie McGuire came into the Mansfield midfield for the suspended Chris Clements as Mansfield Town returned to action following a two-week lay-off with the visit of Leyton Orient.

Clements was serving a one-game ban after his two yellow cards in Stags’ last game - a 3-1 win at Barnet two Saturdays back.

Otherwise boss Adam Murray kept faith with his side.

Today’s game survived a pre-match pitch inspection following heavy rain.

Ex-Stags striker Ollie Palmer, who moved to Orient in the summer, was on the bench for the visitors.

Westcarr had a shot blocked and another effort wide from 20 yards from a partially cleared free kick as Mansfield created the first pressure of the game.

The first sliding challenge on the wet surface by Tafazolli was penalised, angering the Stags players as Marquis rolled around on the floor. But no card was shown.

Jensen confidently punched away a long James free kick and then Adams headed clear the visitors’ first corner at the near post.

However, the visitors swept into a 12th minute lead.

McAnuff got down the left and crossed into the middle where, from the edge of the six yard box, Simpson flicked a header past Jensen.

Soon after Marquis was too high from 25 yards.

Then Stags came closer as Lambe drilled the ball across the face of goal from wide on the right, just too hard for Green or Westcarr to make contact.

Stags continued to labour but the visitors defended well with home fans gets increasingly frustrated.

McAnuff saw the game’s first yellow card on 37 minutes for a trip on Rose in the centre of the park.

Stags were finally on level terms on 40 minutes.

Westcarr crossed from the right and Lambe met it with a cushioned volley that seemed to take an eternity to find the net as it squeezed between the keeper’s dive and the post.

Green, for Stags, and Payne, for Orient, were added to the book for fouls near the end of the half.

Just before the break M’Voto headed powerfully over from the visitors’ second corner of the game.

Orient began the second half with great purpose, but on 48 minutes Stags broke well, Green leading the charge.

He fed Westcarr to his right who crossed back in Green’s direction and his header deflected wide for the home side’s first corner.

On 53 minutes James sent a powerful shot at goal which flew straight at McGuire who was adjudged to have handled and booked, even though it was at point blank range.

James’ free was then deflected wide.

Soon after Simpson was too high on the turn from 18 yards.

Boos rang round the ground as Palmer came on for Turgott.

A minute later on 64 minutes Stags should have been ahead as Pearce raced in to meet a Chapman corner but, from six yards, saw his header clip the post and go wide when he should have hit the target.

Stags brought on Blair for Westcarr on 66 minutes and he really livened things up, the home fans getting behind their side.

The visitors also made a double change on 78 minutes.

But, though Rose tested Cisak from distance, neither side was able to carve out a winner.

STAGS: Jensen, Rose, Pearce, Collins, Chapman (C), Green, Westcarr (Blair 66), Tafazolli, Lambe, McGuire, Adams. Subs not used: Shearer, Marsden, Beardsley, N. Thomas, Yussuf, J. Thomas.

ORIENT: Cisak, Clohessy, Baudry, James, McAnuff, Payne, M’Voto, Turgott (Palmer 63), Kpekawa, Simpson (Kashket 78), Marquis (Pritchard 78). Subs not used: Grainger, Shaw, Essam, Dunne.

REFEREE: Darren England of South Yorkshire.

ATTENDANCE: 2,935 (444 away).



REPORT: Mansfield Town 1-1 Leyton Orient
by Charlie Long, leytonorient.com

Simpson nets again as Orient claim Stags point

Jay Simpson scored for the fourth consecutive league match as Leyton Orient drew 1-1 at Play-Off rivals Mansfield Town.

The Sky Bet League Two Player of the Month for November headed in his 16th of the season after 12 minutes to put the O's ahead at One Call Stadium, but Mansfield claimed an equaliser five minutes before the break through Reggie Lambe's volley.

Read more at http://www.leytonorient.com/news/article/stags-v-os-report-2847394.aspx#hmMiLUkLICgQY23y.99

Following heavy rainfall throughout the morning referee Darren England called a pitch inspection for 1:30pm where he then deemed the pitch playable.

With the game on Orient Head Coach Ian Hendon made four changes to the side that started the previous week against Scunthorpe.

Alex Cisak, Cole Kpekawa, John Marquis and top scorer Jay Simpson all returned to the side as the O’s lined up in a flat 4-4-2 with Blair Turgott and Jobi McAnuff out on the wings.

Despite wet and windy conditions the O’s looked to adjust quickly and having enjoyed a comfortable opening period edged ahead on the 12th minute through no other than the prolific Jay Simpson.

Having turned in the middle John Marquis drilled the ball out to Jobi McAnuff on the left who on his first League start of the season then delivered a brilliant ball into the box for Simpson to crash a header beyond Stags goalkeeper Brian Jensen and register his 16th of the season.

Looking good value for their lead Marquis then worked a chance for himself moments later, collecting a pass from Blair Turgott before drilling a powerful shot over the bar from 20-yards.

As the half wore on Orient looked to be well in control of the tie but with five minutes to go until half time the hosts levelled the tie.

Craig Westcarr’s ball in from the right dropped nicely at the feet of Reggie Lambe who then struck a precise volley towards the bottom corner which then looked to take a slight touch of striker Matt Green to find a way beyond Alex Cisak’s dive.

Given how the half had gone the equaliser was certainly harsh on the O’s, but Jean-Yves M’Voto had the chance to restore their lead when he rose well to get on the end of Lloyd James’ corner but he could only send it over as the sides went into the break even.

During the break neither side made any changes and following an early bit of pressure from Mansfield Simpson came close to adding his second of the afternoon when he swivelled on Cole Kpekawa’s knockdown before rifling a shot inches too high.

With just over an hour played Ollie Palmer was then brought on in place of Turgott to face his former side, but seconds after his introduction the striker nearly saw the hosts take the lead Krystian Pearce crashed a header off the foot of the post from Adam Chapman’s corner.

Palmer then had the opportunity to make an instant impact at the other end a minute later when he received a pass from Simpson in the box and knocked the ball on to his right foot but was unable to get his shot away as two defenders combined to deny him.

The game was swaying in the hosts favour as they upped the pressure and a Stags corner dropped to the feet of Lambe 12-yards out but McAnuff did well to deflect it behind for a corner.

Chances were at a minimum late on as with 87 minutes played Mitchell Rose then tried his luck from distance but his shot was well gathered by Cisak with both Green and Lambe ready to pounce on any rebound.

That was to be the closest either side would come in the closing stages however as both were made to settle for a point each.

MANSFIELD: Jensen, Collins, Tafazolli, Pearce, Adams, Rose, Chapman (C), McGuire, Lambe, Westcarr (Blair 66), Green
SUBS: Shearer, Marsden, Beardsley, N Thomas, Yussuf, J Thomas
GOALS: Lambe (40)
BOOKINGS: Green (42), McGuire (53)

ORIENT: Cisak, Clohessy, Baudry (C), M’Voto, Kpekawa, Turgott (Palmer 64), Payne, James, McAnuff, Marquis (Pritchard 78), Simpson (Kashket 78)
SUBS: Grainger, Essam, Dunne, Shaw
GOALS: Simpson (12)
BOOKINGS: McAnuff (37), Kpekawa (43), M'Voto (90+3)

REFEREE: Darren England
ATTENDANCE: 2,935 (444 Orient fans)


Simmo Strikes Again as Orient Draw...Again
by mattbristow271993

Jay Simpson scores, concede a sloppy goal, Repeat. That appears the motto in the Leyton Orient camp right now. For the third consecutive league match Jay Simpson put the O’s ahead before Orient conceding a sloppy goal as they drew with Play off challengers Mansfield Town - their fourth draw in a row.

The most prolific man in the top four English Leagues headed home a Jobi McAnuff cross after 12 minutes to put Orient ahead. There looked to be little danger as both sides battled tricky conditions until Craig Westcarr’s hopeful cross 5 minutes before the break fell to Reggie Lambe who volleyed home from the edge of the box. Town were the stronger side in the second half and could have snatched the win but center half Krystian Pearce could only crash a header off the post.

Mansfield manager Adam Murray only made one enforced change from his sides 3-1 win at Barnet two weeks ago with Jamie McGuire coming in for Chris Clements who was serving his suspension.

O’s boss Ian Hendon made 4 changes ahead from the side that drew with Scnthorpe in the FA Cup last weekend, John Marquis, Jay Simpson, Cole Kpekawa and Alex Cisak all returned to the side. Former Stags striker Ollie Palmer was named on the bench in his first visit back to his former club.

Following a late pitch inspection due to heavy rain in the area, both sides were finding it hard to adapt to the conditions. Town looked to have adjusted quicker than the visitors to the sticky pitch. However, Orient did strike first at the One Call Stadium, following a move forward John Marquis found Jobi McAnuff on the left wing. The midfielder who was making his first league start of the season, cut inside and whipped in a delicious ball to Jay Simpson. Simpson does what he does best, heading home beyond Brian Jensen for his 16th goal of the season and his 5th goal in 4 games.

The opening goal seemed to settle down Hendon’s side who looked comfortable in the contest. After good pressure from the O’s, Blair Turgott found John Marquis but the on loan Millwall striker could only fire over from the edge of the box. There was nothing between the sides but Orient began to sit deeper inviting the home side on to them. However Orient could have doubled the lead on the half hour mark, Jobi McAnuff and Cole Kpekawa linked down the left with the latter’s cross just missed Blair Turgott and the back post.

Despite creating little going forward, Mansfield were beginning to dominate possession, finding little pockets of space. Then what every Orient fan in the away end could have seen forthcoming. Following a throw in on the right hand flank Craig Westcarr put a looping cross into the box; the ball fell to Reggie Lambe who volleyed home from the edge of the box. It becomes inevitable that will happen in a game, in 4 of the last 5 games Orient have scored first and failed to win the game - taking only 4 points from a possible 15.

Orient should have gone back ahead just before half time when Jean-Yves M’Voto connected with a Lloyd James corner but the French defender could only head over. The story of recent matches, score first in a match, fail to get a second then pay for sloppy defending.

Orient started the second half brightly with crosses into the box but the danger to the O’s back line wasthe home side catching them on the break. Matt Green had a shot blocked as Town looked to counter attack when Orient pushed men forward in attack. The O’s who had drawn their last three matches in all competitions searched for a second goal but Lloyd James’s free kick was blocked before Jay Simpson could only turn and volley over the bar.

Ollie Palmer was introduced in place of Blair Turgott but it was nearly the worse possible entrance for the former Stags striker. Krystian Pearce rose highest from an Adam Chapman corner but the center half powered his header against the post.

Palmer was searching for his first goal in 18 league matches but he was unable to get a shot away after creating space in the box. But it was the home side who turned the screw looking for the win, Orient were heavily under pressure. Matt Green saw a header fly wide before Jamie McGuire could only volley over. Mitchell Rose was last to test Alex Cisak when his fizzing shot from distance was held well by the O’s keeper.

On another day, M’Voto could have been sent off after Matt Green broke away just inside the Orient half, the O’s center half took out Green. The only thing saving M’Voto was the distance Green was from goal but that was the last action as both sides had to settle for a point. Mansfield remain in the last play off place while Orient drop to ninth.

Another game, another draw; but that’s 5 games unbeaten in the league since the 3-1 defeat away at Hartlepool and one defeat in the last 6. However, with little separating the sides at the top, draws have to be made into wins, the O’s have drawn 8 of their 21 games, 38%. I think the main problem with Ian Hendon, is he is too frighten to lose a game at the moment rather than win a game so settled for draws, especially away from home.

The most annoying part of going to an Orient game, is at the moment you know the format of the game We will score first then not go for the killer second and concede a sloppy goal. I have said before why is it inevitable that this happens? Orient have only kept 1 clean sheet in 13 away matches this season, the task at hand is always harder when you know you have to score 2 goals to win a match. Orient are always a threat with Jay Simpson in the side, will Orient keep hold of him in January?

Orient travel to Scunthorpe on Tuesday night in their FA second round replay after drawing the first match 0-0. A potential third round opponent of Chelsea awaits in January, what more incentive do you need? A Tuesday night in Scunthorpe, what dreams are made of right? Well, why not you say, Orient never make it easy but we all #daretodream don’t we. See you at Glanford Park...



Latest | December 2015