{ the news }
Stagsnet wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
Archived News from December 2015

4th December 2015 23:14

Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Barnet 1 - 3 Mansfield Town
Akinde pen 77. Clarke sent off 38. Lambe 31, Green 60, Gambin OG 88. Clements sent off 83.
Attendance: 1775 (299 from Mansfield)

Date: 28 November 2015

Martin Shaw at The Hive

Mansfield Town bounced back from Tuesday’s defeat to Exeter with a fine performance in North-West London this afternoon to deservedly beat Barnet 3-1. The Stags were very impressive in the first half and had chances to take the lead, the best of which was a one-on-one for Craig Westcarr with the keeper, but the keeper saved. Mansfield were deservedly in front on 31 minutes with a fine goal. A good touch from Chris Clements to win the ball, then a lovely chipped cross by Matt Green with the outside of his right boot to Clements who had moved out to the left. Clements headed down perfectly into the path of Reggie Lambe who lifted the ball over the keeper into the right corner of the net from 8 yards for a clinical finish. The Stags were helped on 38 minutes when Josh Clarke was sent off after he brought down Lambe for a clear second yellow. It was so clear that even Martin Allen, the Barnet manager, just a few yards to my left, didn’t protest. Mansfield deservedly increased the lead on 60 minutes. Clements played a little ball forward to Westcarr 28 yards from goal. Westcarr slid a magnificent ball forward perfectly into the path of Matt Green who took one touch and fired home left footed from the edge of the box. It was classic Matt Green, and magnificent service from Westcarr. Green’s 7th goal of the season, the same number of goals as our two leading scorers last season (Bingham and Oliver). Barnet hadn’t really been in the game at all, but had brought on substitute John Akinde, who I would have expected to be their most dangerous player. And with the wind behind them, Barnet started lobbing balls over the Stags defence and causing problems. On 74 minutes, a let-off for the Stags as Akinde headed a high ball forward over the advancing Brian Jensen and just wide of the gaping goal. Three minutes later, Akinde brought Barnet back into the game, winning a penalty as he headed to the byline and Jensen brought him down. Given Akinde could go nowhere but out for a goal-kick, in my opinion this was a rare mistake by Jensen. Akinde sent the penalty to the left as Jensen went the wrong way. Jensen made a fantastic save on 82 minutes to atone for his error pushing away a great shot. A minute later, the numbers were evened up as Chris Clements picked up a second yellow for a foul. No complaints about that booking but his first was unfair as he was booked for time wasting right in front of me when I don’t think he knew that the referee had said the ball had gone out of play. Jensen had to make another good save on 85 minutes, tipping away a cross from Batt that looked to be heading in. The Stags needed a third goal and got it on 88 minutes thanks to some brilliant skill from sub Matty Blair, though the Stags had a stroke of luck because it should have been given offside. Blair brilliantly beat two men on the byline and pulled back to Green. Green turned and shot, the keeper saved, Blair got a touch on it and the ball came off defender Luke Gambin and into his own net. Blair was a yard offside when Green shot, so it was a stroke of luck. But a great moment for Matty Blair who is still coming back from his long term injury. There was still time for Jensen to make another great save, his third of the game.

Overall a very fine performance from Mansfield, who were clearly the better side for most of the game, apart from a 15 minute spell when Barnet were lobbing balls forward with the wind behind them for John Akinde to cause havoc. Some very good performances throughout the Stags side, in fact everyone played well. Clements was excellent before his sending off and is my man of the match, just pipping Blair Adams, Chapman and Lambe.

Mansfield have now played 9 of the bottom 10 teams in League Two and have beaten all 9 teams. Ruthless efficiency from Adam Murray’s men. Only three games to go until the midpoint of the season, and the Stags are still in the play-off zone, as we have been for most of the season. What a season this is, and could turn out to be.



Saturday, 28th November 2015: Barnet 1, Mansfield Town 3
by Josh Richards (Sportsbeat), chad.co.uk, Saturday 28 November 2015

After questioning his side’s desire in midweek, Adam Murray’s Stags answered emphatically with a 3-1 win at Barnet in a game in which both sides ended up with 10 men.

Blair Adams showed early intent with a strong run, but his shot was low and easily collected by Jamie Stephens. The best chance of the opening stages fell to Craig Westcarr with a side-footed effort that Stephens did well to parry.

With most of the early play being compressed into the middle third of the field, both sides tried with little success to play the ball over the top, and this helped Barnet settle briefly, albeit without any shots on Brian Jensen’s goal.

Read more: http://www.chad.co.uk/sport/mansfield-town/mansfield-town-news/saturday-28th-november-2015-barnet-1-mansfield-town-3-1-7596861#ixzz3srsU79e5

Mansfield showed some bite, and a flowing move culminated in a Westcarr cross forcing a corner.

The inevitable goal came with a well-worked move on the break. Matt Green finding Chris Clements before Reggie Lambe finished skilfully past Stephens.

Clements almost doubled the score with a 30-yard effort that Stephens stretched to keep out. Things went from bad to worse. Josh Clarke got a second yellow card with 37 minutes on the clock that even Martin Allen did not criticise. Striker Aaron McLean moved to emergency right-back as Barnet weathered the storm.

Barnet were better after the restart, but lacked any cutting edge and Mansfield took advantage. Westcarr fed Green whose drive whipped past Stephens for 2-0 on the hour.

Jensen was finally tested by Michael Gash, but the experienced keeper kept the effort out with his legs.

Matt Green had a chance to make it 3-0 but Stephens was again equal to the effort, and John Akinde was introduced for Gash. Akinde was a presence throughout, and headed just wide, before being taken down by Jensen for a penalty which the target man converted himself.

Jensen had some measure of redemption after beating away Elliot Johnson’s long drive, the rebound causing Clements to foul and get his second yellow card.

The game was killed off in 88th minute after a scramble caused an own goal from Barnet for a deserved away win.


MATCH REPORT: Barnet 1 - 3 Mansfield Town
barnetfc.com, 28th November 2015

The Bees lose at home to the play-off chasing Stags.

Ten-man Barnet succumbed to a 3-1 home loss against Mansfield Town, despite a spirited second half fight-back from Martin Allen’s men.

Reggie Lambe opened the scoring before Josh Clarke departed the field of play for two bookable offences.

Read more at http://www.barnetfc.com/news/article/match-report-barnet-1-3-mansfield-town-2824392.aspx#CLPXpGhsuXekuXI4.99

Mansfield raced further into the lead through Matt Green with just under an hour played, but Barnet pulled a goal back thanks to a John Akinde penalty.

An action packed encounter concluded with another red card - this time for the Stags’ Chris Clements, and a late own goal by Michael Nelson.

Mansfield’s Blair Adams had the first chance of the match, when he hit a tame shot at Stephens from the left side of the box after eight minutes.

A minute later Craig Westcarr fired an effort over the bar, as the visitors started the game brightly.

Stephens dived to stop another Westcarr shot on 11 minutes, after the Stags forward found himself one-on-one with the Bees keeper.

Barnet were denied what looked like a clear penalty with 29 minutes played, when Krystian Pearce appeared to handle in the area.

The Bees then found themselves behind on the half hour mark - Lambe powering the ball into the net from the left side of the box.

Stephens had to be at his acrobatic best to turn Clements’ shot around the post after 33 minutes.

On 37 minutes Clarke received his marching orders - referee Trevor Kettle brandishing a second yellow card for the full-back after a mistimed sliding tackle.

Barnet started the second half more positively and McLean hit a free kick from distance wide of the left post with 52 minutes played.

But Mansfield doubled their lead after 59 minutes when Green raced onto a through ball and slotted home from inside the box.

Michael Gash’s poked shot almost brought the Bees back into the game with an hour on the clock, but it couldn’t find a way past Stags keeper Brian Jensen.

Another save from Stephens stopped Mansfield from racing further into the lead - he got a hand to Green’s shot after closing down the angle for the onrushing striker.

Akinde came close to reducing the deficit with 15 minutes remaining, but his header floated over Jensen and wide of the left post.

Just a minute after that chance Akinde pulled a goal back for the Bees - the substitute was felled by Jensen and slotted home the resulting penalty.

Lambe fired a shot over the bar with ten minutes to go, as Barnet pushed forward in search of an equaliser.

Elliott Johnson stung the hands of the Mansfield keeper with a long-range drive on 82 minutes, before Clements received a second yellow card in the closing stages of the game.

The Bees were caught on the break as they surged towards the Stags goal, and a Michael Nelson own goal put an end to hopes of a late comeback.

Barnet face Newport County at The Hive in the FA Cup next Saturday.

BARNET: Stephens, Johnson, N’Gala, Nelson, Clarke, Bailey (Muggleton 61’), Weston, Gambin, Stacey (Akinde 56’), McLean, Gash (Batt 72’).

Subs Not Used: McKenzie-Lyle, Hoyte, Togwell, Champion.


A second half fightback wasn't enough for Barnet as they went down 3-1 at home to Mansfield Town in League Two
Barnet Times

A John Akinde penalty briefly gave Barnet hope of a late comeback at home to Mansfield Town but the Stags prevailed 3-1 thanks to a late Luke Gambin own goal.

Both sides finished with ten men in a clash with came to life in the second half after a forgettable first period in which Reggie Lambe gave the visitors a half-time lead.


Barnet's Josh Clarke was sent off for two bookable offences before the break but Martin Allen's men improved only to fall 2-0 down when Matt Green finished off a good move.

Substitute Akinde then halved the deficit from the spot with 12 minutes remaining before Chris Clements was sent off for a second booking to level the sides up.

But as Barnet chased an equaliser Gambin put through his own goal at the death to wrap up the win for Mansfield - their first at Barnet since 1998.

Allen made five changes from the side beaten at Notts County on Tuesday night, handing Nicky Bailey the first start his second spell with the Bees.

Gavin Hoyte, Sam Togwell, Tom Champion, Shaun Batt all dropped to the bench with Andy Yiadom serving a one-match ban after picking up his fifth yellow card of the season against the Magpies.

Nelson, Luke Gambin, Bailey, Michael Gash and Aaron McLean came into the side and those switches meant Brentford loanee Clarke started at right-back for the first time since his Barnet debut.

With a biting wind swirling in over the North and South Terraces it was little surprise the fare on offer was poor.

Equally, it was no surprise the first goalscoring opportunity came from an error, Mansfield’s Craig Westcarr the beneficiary as Bondz N’Gala miscued his clearance and allowed the striker through on goal. However, Jamie Stephens got down sharply to push his effort to safety.

That was it for action until the Bees saw a strong penalty appeal for handball waved away after 30 minutes. Curtis Weston hooked a hopeful ball into the edge of the penalty area where former Bees loan Krystian Pearce appeared to handle.

Referee Trevor Kettle disagreed, though, and the Stags broke ruthlessly.

Less than a minute after the handball appeal, Adam Murray’s side were in front. Chris Clements flicked Green’s loft forward into the path of Lambe to volley home, leaving Stephens with no chance.

The opener at least livened up proceedings with Stephens called upon three minutes later to beat away an effort from Clements which looked bound for the top corner.

Things went from bad to worse for Barnet seven minutes before the break as Clarke was sent off for a second yellow; the full-back penalised for cynically halting the progress of Lambe as the visitors broke.

Josh Clarke trudges towards the tunnel after his afternoon was ended. Picture: Len Kerswill

There was still time for one Mansfield chance before the half was out. But yet again it was all Barnet’s doing, Stephens spanking a clearance straight at Westcarr only for the ball to fly off the Stags striker and back into his grasp.

Barnet made a bright start to the second period but could not test the veteran Brian Jensen in the Mansfield goal.

And, minutes after introducing Akinde in place of Stacey in an attempt to find an equaliser, Barnet fell 2-0 behind.

Clements combined with Westcarr to slip in Green and he slid beyond Stephens, leaving the Bees with a mountain to climb.

The changes didn’t have the desired effect and save for a couple of penalty area scrambles, Barnet failed to trouble their visitors.

Mansfield, on the other hand, were looking increasingly dangerous on the break and went close twice in quick succession when Green and Westcarr were denied by Stephens and N’Gala one after the other.

Akinde had his first real sight of goal with 15 minutes to go, getting between Pearce and Jensen to cause confusion but only managing to nod agonizingly wide.

John Akinde gets between Krystian Pearce and Brian Jensen to head wide. Picture: Len Kerswill

But just three minutes after that sighter, Akinde hauled the Bees back into the contest.

Racing onto a ball into the penalty area the striker drew contact from Jensen and went down. Referee Kettle took the bait and Akinde promptly thumped home the penalty to set up a grandstand finish.

The goal lifted Barnet and it took a strong palm from Jensen to claw Elliott Johnson’s powerful drive away from the top corner as the Bees took charge.

Elliott Johnson came as close as anyone for Barnet with a thumping drive. Picture: Len Kerswill

And with eight minutes remaining Mansfield midfielder Clements was given his second yellow for a trip on substitute Batt.

From the resulting free-kick on the left Akinde stooped to head towards goal where Jensen was able to scoop up his effort.

Barnet man-of-the-match Luke Gambin was credited with Mansfield's third. Picture: Len Kerswill

But there was a sucker punch to comer as with a Gambin own goal restoring the Stags’ two-goal lead after an almighty goalmouth scramble.

Barnet: Stephens; Clarke, Nelson, N'Gala, Johnson; Stacey (Akinde 57), Bailey (Muggleton 61), Weston (c), Gambin; Gash (Batt 73), McLean.

Subs: McKenzie-Lyle (GK), Hoyte, Togwell, Champion.

Mansfield Town: Jensen; Collins, Pearce, Tafazolli, Adams; Rose (Blair 59), Chapman (c); Clements, Lambe, Westcarr (McGuire 68); Green (Beardsley 90).

Subs: Shearer (GK), Yussuf, N Thomas, J Thomas.

Referee: Trevor Kettle.

Attendance: 1,775 (299 away supporters).


Barnet must go back to basics after Mansfield defeat
getwestlondon.co.uk, BY JAKE EVANS

Martin Allen has demanded that Barnet go back to basics after a 3-1 home defeat to Mansfield Town made it four league matches without a win.

The Bees boss wants his players to work as hard as they did during their title winning Conference campaign last season, starting with a strong defensive base.


He said: “With every game we play, everybody has to be on their game. We are not a brilliant silky soccer Brazilian team. We are hardworking and everybody has to do their job.

“That is how we won the championship last year whereas at the moment we are just lacking in a couple of little areas and it’s costing us dear.

“At any level, you have to be difficult to beat, and then the other part comes afterwards and at the moment we are not quite as competitive as we have been in the past.”

A slip from Bondz N’Gala gave Mansfield the first real chance of the match as Craig Westcarr raced through on goal but his shot was well saved by Jamie Stephens.

The Bees felt they should have had a penalty on the half hour mark when the ball struck the hand of Krystian Pearce but referee Trevor Kettle waved play on.

Mansfield made it 1-0 just a minute later. Matt Green flicked the ball wide with the outside of his foot and Chris Clements’ header on was volleyed into the far corner by Reggie Lambe.

The turning point of the match came in the 37th minute as Barnet’s Josh Clarke was sent off for a second bookable offence when his desperate hack on Lambe halted a promising Mansfield break.

Allen made no changes at the break and the Bees lined up in a 3-4-2 formation for the start of the second half which they started brightly.

Aaron McLean tried his luck with two long range free-kicks but Barnet’s inability to create any real chances saw Allen call for John Akinde from the bench.

However, Barnet were 2-0 down in the 59th minute when Westcarr’s perfectly weighted through ball was steered into the bottom corner by Green.

Michael Gash could have instantly replied for the Bees but the forward lost his footing when through on goal and his shot lacked the power to beat Jensen in the Mansfield goal.

Barnet looked far more dangerous following the introduction of Akinde and his stooping header sailed just wide with Town goalkeeper Jensen out of position.

Akinde then pulled a goal back for Barnet as he coolly converted a penalty awarded by referee Trevor Kettle when the big striker was scathed down by Jensen with 15 minutes remaining.

Allen revealed that Akinde started on the bench because he needed a rest after a hamstring issue prevented him from training yesterday.

He said: “John has been fantastic for Barnet since I’ve got here, he has been a great signing.

“I think he probably needed to have a little break and there is no doubt he’ll be playing next Saturday.

“He came on today and I thought he looked much stronger, much pacier and with much more energy about his game and that has been lacking recently.”

Allen was also full of praise for veteran midfielder Nicky Bailey who lasted just over an hour on his first start since re-joining the club.

Bailey started in his familiar deep lying playmaker role before being asked to fill in at right-back for a short spell in the second half.

He said: “It’s good to have him back playing. It’s difficult for him at the moment because he hasn’t had enough games but he’s been training really hard.

“He brings experience and knowledge and I was really pleased with his contribution.

“He’s got self-belief, confidence and a huge desire to win. He will help me pull the others round and get everybody in shape.”

Barnet frantically pushed forward as they looked for the equaliser but Elliot Johnson’s goal-bound shots was brilliantly saved by Jensen.

Mansfield were also down to ten for the final 20 minutes as Clements received his second yellow for pulling Shaun Batt’s shirt.

And the result was left in no doubt just three minutes from time when an almighty goalmouth scramble ended with Luke Gambin firing into his own net from close range.

The poor run of results leaves Barnet languishing in 19th place but Allen praised the attitude of his players and warned against giving them the hairdryer treatment.

He said: “These footballers are all a bit sensitive. We have bought some new ones in and the step up has not been easy but there were always going to be times like this.

“We have to work on the training pitch to support the players, look after them and hug them.

“This is certainly not the time to hit them with a stick because their attitude is spot on. We’ve got no lightweights here, nobody that turns their back on responsibility.

It certainly won’t help shouting at them and throwing tea cups that is for sure.”



Latest | December 2015