{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from August 2015

16th August 2015 19:04

Football League Cup - Capital One Cup Round 1
Sheffield Wednesday 4 - 1 Mansfield Town
Joao 13, Semedo 19, Lee 53, Sougou 84. Tafazolli 45.
Attendance: 14,021 (1,236 from Mansfield)

Date: 11 August 2015

Martin Shaw at Hillsborough

Mansfield were beaten 4-1 by Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsborough in the first round of the League Cup. Sheffield Wednesday were too good for Mansfield, as might have been expected of a good Championship club, but some aspects of Mansfield’s defeat were disappointing. In particular, Mansfield were very poor in almost every way in the opening 37 minutes of the game, with some terrible defending and simply not getting into the game at all. Time after time, Wednesday got down the wings and were able to get crosses in, and the opening two goals saw schoolboy defending as free headers were allowed in the box. However from 37 minutes onwards, the Stags were much better, and pushed forward when they could. Ryan Tafazolli, Mansfield’s only defender on the night who had a good game, pulled a goal back with a header from a corner just before the break to make it 2-1. Either side of that goal, on 44 and 49 minutes, Chris Beardsley could have scored with decent headers on target. But Sheffield Wednesday scored again to make it 3-1 on 53 minutes. Mansfield didn’t give up and had more chances to get back into the game as Beardsley again, Yussuf and Lambe all had good chances. But the game ended as it begun with more sloppy defending allowing Sheffield Wednesday a 4th goal on 84 minutes, as yet again a cross was allowed in and again a player was unmarked to score inside the box. Even in League Two defending like this will be punished and the full-backs have to up their game to stop crosses coming in. Tafazolli was the standout defender tonight, while alongside him 17 year old Corbin Shires had a tough full debut, and the rested Krystian Pearce will surely come back into the side on Friday at Notts County.

Full report in the Match Centre


Tuesday, 11th August 2015: Sheffield Wednesday 4, Mansfield Town 1
chad.co.uk report by John Lomas

Mansfield Town may have been comprehensively beaten 4-1 at Championship side Sheffield Wednesday tonight in their Capital One Cup first round tie, but their never-say-die attitude won them a lot of friends at Hillsborough.

Trailing 2-0 to two goals in six minutes by Lucas Joao and Jose Semedo and under constant pressure, Stags were given a 45th minute lifeline by Ryan Tafazolli, who was also excellent at the back.


Chris Beardsley then came desperately close to levelling before Keiran Lee slotted in a third on 53 minutes.

Even then Adam Murray’s men kept going forward and refused to lie down, only finally finished off when Modou Sougou scored a fourth six minutes from time.

Wednesday looked a class outfit from start to finish and fully deserved to progress.

But the Stags can look forward to the pressure cooker of the Notts County derby at Meadow Lane on Friday night knowing they will come up against very different opposition.

With three games in seven days and a massive game ahead on Friday, boss Murray left out Matt Green, Krystian Pearce, Mitch Rose and Reggie Lambe, though Rose and Lambe were on the bench.

In for a full debut came young centre half Corbin Shires as did ex-Stags striker Chris Beardsley plus there were first starts for Craig Westcarr, another of the summer’s 13 new faces, and Jack Thomas in midfield.

The Owls made wholesale changes with nine players left out from the side that beat Bristol City 2-0 on Saturday.

Wednesday settled quickly and forced two early corners while Loez was too high with a first time shot from 20 yards.

The Championship side made the early pressure tell on 13 minutes after Benning conceded a free kick wide on the right.

Lopez floated it into the middle of goal where Joao was afforded an easy header that gave Shearer no chance.

Within six minutes it was 2-0 and hopes of an upset seemingly in tatters, Shearer again beaten by a close range header.

This time Sougou whipped in a far post cross from wide on the right and Semedo out-muscled Hunt at the far post to guide home another unstoppable finish.

Only a great interception at full stretch by Tafazolli prevented Joao turning home a low Sougou cross from six yards out on 27 minutes as Wednesday looked to press home their advantage and put Stags to the sword.

Sougou tested Shearer from 30 yards, but the keeper was always behind it as Mansfield continued to soak up the pressure.

Stags were struggling to get out of their own half, though their spirits were lifted somewhat by a great box to box burst by Jack Thomas after a quick Shearer throw.

It came to nothing but did inspire a bit of possession and on 39 minutes at least got a shot away as Beardsley pulled a low ball back from the left by-line and Nathan Thomas hooked a first time finish over the far angle.

On 42 minutes Sougou again got down the left and pulled a clever low cross into the path of Lavery, who should have done better but sidefooted a low finish straight at Shearer from 12 yards.

On 44 minutes home keeper Wildsmith finally had work to do as Beardsley met a far post Jack Thomas cross with a firm header that the keeper had to parry one-handed.

And from that 45th minute corner, out of the blue and very much against the run of play, Stags grabbed themselves a lifeline.

Chapman curled the corner in from the left and Tafazolli was on hand to turn the ball over the line in an untidy scramble in front of goal, Wildsmith appearing to get a hand to it but unable to keep it out.

Wednesday returned for the second half very early, hungry to make amends for allowing Mansfield unexpected hope.

Within five minutes Mansfield were almost level. Chapman initially won the ball and it found Jack Thomas on the right who hoisted a far post cross towards Beardsley.

His header was on target but hit home skipper Leeds and passed the wrong wide of the post.

Instead it was the home side who again stretched their lead out to two goals with a third on 53 minutes. Joao’s pass sent Lee away on goal and he slotted the ball coolly past Shearer.

Stags sent on Shrewsbury loanee Caton for a debut on 57 minutes in place of Nathan Thomas.

Two minutes later Murray made both his other two changes as Yussuf and McGuire replaced Westcarr and Jack Thomas.

Home sub Matias could have made a big impact but failed to put away two chances in as many minutes, sending one searing volley wide.

Yussuf might have pulled Stags back in it again with 19 minutes to go as he poked a low shot at goal from 18 yards that Wildsmith had to get down to block, though it didn’t carry the venom it needed.

Mansfield came even closer on 75 minutes as a lovely floated cross from the left was straight into the head of Beardsley whose header sailed across the face of goal and agonisingly dropped just wide of the far post.

Then Lambe wasn’t far wide after a clever pass from Clements picked him out.

But the home side rubbed salt in the wounds on 84 minutes as they added a fourth.

Helan pulled the ball back to him from the left by-line and Sougou was in acres of space running into the box to lash past Shearer from the penalty spot.

SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY: Wildsmith, Palmer, Semedo, Lavery (Matias 51), Lees, Wiggins, Joao (Helan 75), Lee, Lopez (Hutchinson 57), Sasso, Sougou. Subs not used: Dawson, Nuhiu, McGugan, Wallace.

MANSFIELD TOWN: Shearer, Benning, Chapman, Clements, Beardsley, Westcarr (Yussuf 59), Nathan Thomas (Caton 57), Tafazolli, Hunt, Jack Thomas (McGuire 59), Shires. Subs not used: Jensen, Marsden, Rose, Lambe.

REFEREE: Mark Brown of East Yorkshire.




Report: Sheffield Wednesday 4-1 Mansfield Town
swfc.co.uk, 11th August 2015

Capital One Cup football returned to Hillsborough on Tuesday evening - and the Owls eased past League Two Mansfield and into the second round.

In much the same way as they beat Bristol City in the Championship at the weekend, Wednesday dominated proceedings from the first whistle.

Read more at http://www.swfc.co.uk/news/article/report-sheffield-wednesday-4-1-mansfield-town-2611494.aspx#rGL6bOCOmtsECDMd.99

Early goals from Lucas Joao and Jose Semedo put the hosts in the driving seat and although they conceded right on half time through Ryan Tafazolli, Wednesday went on to seal a comfortable passage to the next stage with Kieran Lee and Modou Sougou on target in the second period.

Overall, it was a comfortable evening for Carlos Carvalhal’s side, which showed nine changes from Saturday’s game.

After firing a round of warning shots, the Owls duly took the lead on 13 minutes. Alex Lopez delivered a peach of a free kick right on to the head of the advancing Joao, who buried home from six yards.

Six minutes later it was two and from another close range header. Sougou did well to dig out a high, looping cross that Semedo bravely headed past Scott Shearer.

It was one-way traffic, as Wednesday spread play around the park, with Lopez and Lee at the heart.

And three minutes before the break, they could have been out of sight but Shearer was down swiftly to deal with a Caolan Lavery drive.

Still there was time in the first half, though, for Mansfield to offer a rare counter from which they ultimately halved the deficit.

Joe Wildsmith, making his first senior start, did well to keep out a fierce Chris Beardsley header and from the resulting flag kick, Tafazolli bundled into the far corner to give the Stags hope heading down the tunnel.

Bu the visitors ambitions were dashed just seven minutes into the second half. The impressive Joao effortlessly turned his marker to send Lee scampering in on goal and the midfielder slotted beyond Shearer.

Substitute Marco Matias then went close twice in as many minutes as the Owls turned on the style but Mansfield then grew back into the contest and Wildsmith had to be alert to keep out an Adi Yussuf snapshot.

Beardsley nodded narrowly wide moments later before Wednesday put the game to bed six minutes from time.

Lee found Helan down the left with a sweeping pass and the latter pulled back for Sougou to apply the final coating of gloss.

Owls: Wildsmith, Palmer, Semedo, Lavery (51), Lees, Wiggins, Joao (Helan 75), Lee, Lopez (Hutchinson 57), Sasso, Sougou


Match report - Sheffield Wednesday 4 Mansfield Town 1
Dom Howson, sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk
Tuesday 11 August 2015

Carlos Carvalhal is acutely aware that he will be judged on how Sheffield Wednesday perform in the rough and tumble of the Championship in his first season in English football.

Finishing in the upper reaches of the division is the Owls chief’s main priority.


Nonetheless, Carvalhal will take a lot of positives from the free-flowing football they produced against League Two Mansfield Town as they booked their place in the second round of the Capital One Cup.

In the first competitive meeting between the clubs since January 1991, Lucas Joao and Modou Sougou starred as Carvalhal’s charges ultimately ran-out easy winners.

Some of their defending was unconvincing, particularly in the second half but, the main thing, is they professionally got the job done. They dominated for long periods in sealing back-to-back Hillsborough wins for the first time since March 2014.

All that after came after Carvalhal rotated his multi-cultural squad, making nine changes to his starting line-up. Only Tom Lees and Alex Lopez were retained from the eleven who comfortably brushed aside Bristol City last weekend, with the Portuguese choosing to rest first-team regulars Keiren Westwood and Glenn Loovens.

Carvalhal handed debuts to summer signings Rhoys Wiggins, Vincent Sasso and Sougou and gave highly-rated academy graduate Joe Wildsmith a chance to stake his claim.

Liam Palmer, Jose Semedo, Kieran Lee, Caolan Lavery and Joao were also given opportunities to impress.

It took Joao just 22 seconds to make his presence felt. He shrugged off the attentions of Corbin Shires before sprinting to the byline and delivering a teasing cross which narrowly evaded Sougou.

Mansfield packed midfield, lining up in a 4-2-3-1 formation. Their game-plan was clear: to defend in numbers, stay compact and keep things tight in the early stages. It didn’t work.

The prospect of a cup upset looked remote when the hosts opened the scoring in the 13th minute through Angolan-born Joao, who headed in Lopez’s well flighted free-kick after Malvind Benning was penalised for upending Sougou. It is the second match in a row Wednesday have profited from a set play.

Then there was a real collectors item. A Jose Semedo goal.

His only previous Owls strike had come against Wycombe Wanderers nearly four years ago.

Wednesday’s midfield enforcer rose highest to power in Sougou’s pinpoint centre to double their advantage.

Oozing confidence and class, Carvalhal’s men poured forward looking to add to their tally.

Sougou, proving a dangerous attacking outlet on the right flank, raced on to Lee’s through ball before seeing his teasing cross cut out by Ryan Tafazolli, with Joao lurking.

The Marseille wing merchant tested the reflexes of former Rotherham United shot-stopper Scott Shearer as Wednesday continued to control proceedings.

After more patient build-up play, Sougou fed Lavery, whose weak effort was comfortably gathered by Shearer.

Carvalhal handed Wildsmith, a graduate of the club’s youth system, his first senior Owls start and the England Under-20 international, who spent a month on loan at Barnsley last season, repaid his faith in a one-sided half, producing a fine save to tip over Chris Beardsley’s header.

From the resulting corner, Mansfield grabbed a lifeline through Tafazolli after the defender nipped in front of stand-in captain Lees to nod home inside the six-yard box.

Tafazolli’s goal visibly lifted the Stags and they almost completed a remarkable comeback four minutes after the re-start but Beardsley’s header was deflected over by Lees, who was making his 50th appearance in Owls colours.

Having survived that let off, Wednesday then restored their two-goal cushion, with Lee exploiting a big gap in Mansfield’s defence before drilling a right foot shot past Shearer.

Marco Matias added extra speed and directness to the hosts after coming on for the ineffective Lavery. He wasted a glorious chance to put the tie out of the Stags’ reach, side-footing narrowly wide with the goal at his mercy following a neat pass by Lopez.

It took a wonderful last-ditch challenge by Shires to prevent Joao from bursting clean through on goal after the forward, recruited from Nacional last month, waltzed past several defenders. In full flight, Joao is a joy to watch.

But Wednesday did not have it all their own way in an entertaining, absorbing contest and Wildsmith had to be alert to keep out substitute Adi Yussuf’s low effort.

Had the Stags been more clinical in front of goal, they could have set up a nervy, grand-stand finish but Beardsley, unmarked at the back post, headed over from an acute angle before Lambe dragged a shot wide.

With six minutes left, Sougou deservedly marked his debut with a goal, smashing in Jeremy Helan’s cut back.

Wednesday: Wildsmith; Palmer, Sasso, Lees, Wiggins; Lee, Lopez (Hutchinson 57), Semedo, Sougou, Lavery (Matias 51), Joao (Helan 75). Substitutes: Dawson, Nuhiu, McGugan, Wallace.

Mansfield: Shearer; Hunt, Shires, Tafazolli, Benning; Westcarr (Yussuf 59), Clements, Chapman, N Thomas (Caton 57), J Thomas (Lambe 59); Beardsley. Substitutes: McGuire, Jensen, Marsden, Rose.

Attendance: 14,021

Referee: Mark Brown (East Yorkshire)



Latest | August 2015