{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from December 2014

10th December 2014 19:27

The FA Cup - Round Two
Cambridge United 2 - 2 Mansfield Town
Chadwick 10, Appiah 90+2. Bingham 3, Champion OG 80
Attendance: 3869 (343 from Mansfield)

Date: 6 December 2014

Martin Shaw at the R Costings Abbey Stadium

Mansfield Town were pegged back twice in the FA Cup at Cambridge this afternoon and so this game goes to a replay a week on Tuesday (unless switched for live TV selection). Mansfield, playing in a new third kit of red and white hoops, were out of the traps quickly and ahead inside 3 minutes with Rakish Bingham heading home a superb Rob Taylor cross. Cambridge were level on 10 minutes, punished for Simon Heslop messing around with the ball at the back, as Tom Champion fed Luke Chadwick who slotted home. Bingham should have scored again when he had another free header in front of goal and after the game he told me he really should have got it on target. An even first half which was exciting. The second half was quieter with few chances for either side until the Stags regained the lead on 80 minutes as Rob Taylor’s floated curling free kick was headed into his own net by Tom Champion. Fergus Bell nearly sealed it for the Stags with a great effort tipped over the bar. Sascha Studer preserved the lead with a great diving save on 90 minutes but Mansfield couldn’t hold on, and Kwesi Appiah equalised on 90+2 minutes brilliantly controlling a free kick and firing past Studer in an instant. In truth a draw was a fair result but it was so frustrating for the Stags to be denied in stoppage time. A good performance from Mansfield against a good side in Cambridge and it will clearly take another good performance if the Stags are to progress into Round 3. By then of course we’ll know the opponents and if it happens to be a Premier League club, then the stakes will become very high indeed.

Adam Murray was appointed as the youngest manager in the Football League yesterday, until the end of the season, and was generally a popular appointment with the fans, including me. Murray made two changes to the side that lost at Luton. Out went loanee Kieron Freeman (not allowed by Derby to play) and Jamie Sendles-White. Ritchie Sutton made a very welcome return from his fractured jaw, and Bingham also returned to the starting line-up. Vadaine Oliver was allowed to play by Crewe with Crewe already out of the Cup. It was a 4-4-2 formation with Sutton at right back and Beevers at left back. Lambe and Taylor were on the right and left side of midfield, while Oliver and Bingham were up front. On the bench, there was a place for youth team striker Dan Fletcher, fresh from signing professional terms yesterday and fresh from his hat-trick in the FA Youth Cup against Northampton 11 days ago. Jamie McGuire was also back from injury. Dimi Evtimov was not allowed to play by parent club Nottingham Forest, and so Adam Murray had desperately tried to find another goalkeeper on emergency loan with Sascha Studer having been nursing a slight leg injury all week but had been unable to do so with clubs reluctant to let keepers get cup-tied for just a one-off game.

With Cambridge, and indeed Burton, playing in kits too similar to both Mansfield’s amber home kit and black away kit, the Stags have produced a third kit of red and white hoops with red shorts. Any similarity to Doncaster Rovers’ kit, with even the same sponsor logo on the front, is purely coincidental! The kit apparently will not be on sale but the shirts used by the players will be auctioned off later in the season. I quite liked it actually.

Report in the Match Centre


Saturday, 6th December 2014; FA Cup R2 - Cambridge United 2 Mansfield Town 2
chad.co.uk report by John Lomas

Mansfield Town twice briefly led at Cambridge United this afternoon but had to settle for a replay as the home side grabbed a second equaliser two minutes into stoppage time at the end.


The game represented Adam Murray’s first in full-time charge of the club and they got off to the best of starts with Rakish Bingham heading them into a third minute lead.

However, it lasted just seven minutes as Luke Chadwick levelled the tie after a mistake from Simon Heslop.

The second half saw few clear chances before home defender Tom Champion seemed to have the last touch on a Rob Taylor free kick to put Mansfield ahead again with just 10 minutes to go.

Sasha Studer’s 90th minute save from Kwesi Appiah seemed to have sealed victory.

But League Two rivals United were not done and Appiah made it 2-2 from Michael Nelson’s flick on 92 minutes as Cambridge staged a grandstand finish.

Annoyed to let the game slip twice, Stags will still be happy to come away from the Abbey Stadium with a replay and into the hat for Monday night’s third round draw when the big guns enter the competition.

The sides will now replay at Mansfield a week on Tuesday.

Murray made two changes to his line-up and employed a different formation.

With Derby County not wanting loanee Keiron Freeman to become cup-tied, Ritchie Sutton made a surprise return to the side at right back after recovering from a broken jaw.

Jamie Sendles-White was left out of the midfield as Murray decided to employ a 4-4-2 formation with a boost up front where on-loan Vadaine Oliver was allowed to play by parent club Crewe, now they are out of the competition, after not being permitted to play in the first round ties with Concord Rangers.

Coming back in to partner Oliver down the centre was Rakish Bingham.

There was also a place on the Mansfield bench for teenage striker Dan Fletcher, whom Murray gave a first professional contract to yesterday.

Stags came out in their new third kit of red and white hoops and red shorts before mingling with the United players for a photograph to mark the famous ‘truce’ World War One football match of 100 years ago.

Stags began in confident fashion and with two minutes and 18 seconds gone found themselves in front.

Lambe switched play from right to left with a low pass that Oliver allowed to run past him to Taylor.

Taylor then curled in an inviting far post cross from which Bingham rose to plant a firm header past Dunn from six yards.

Oliver was then very close to getting a toe onto a Beevers cross, but Dunn’s handling was safe.

It took United nine minutes to threaten as Appiah turned on the right by-line and crossed low and hard into the middle where Sutton was on hand to hack clear.

But Mansfield gifted Cambridge a 10th minute equalise.

Heslop, in trying to play his way out of trouble, held onto the ball far too long and his loose final pass was picked up by the home side, Hughes sending Chadwick striding through to slot a low finish under Studer.

Riley did well to get a header back to Studer before Appiah could threaten on 15 minutes.

Cambridge threatened again on 21 minutes as Appiah spread the ball wide to Chadwick down the right, he helped the ball back into Appiah’s path, Studer down bravely to smother the finish from close range.

That spurred a crestfallen Stags back into action and Taylor put in two good crosses from the left, the first inches too high for Bingham, the second seeing Dunn just able to concede a corner as Oliver tried to head home.

Tafazolli headed away a long Kaikai free kick, then Bird won the home side’s first corner on 29 minutes, which Clements tried to hook clear.

The ball didn’t get far and Beevers brought down Tait 25 yards from goal, just to the right of the D which saw Kaikai curl it to the right of the wall and the ball deflect wide for another corner.

This was a good spell for the home side and, after Sutton brought down Kaikai, Stags survived another good chance for United on 33 minutes as a half clearance was whipped first time just wide by Appiah from 15 yards.

On 35 minutes Lambe floated in a superb ball from the right and Bingham had a free header from six yards which he sent over, though an offside flag was quickly raised anyway.

A minute later Taylor sent a half-volley at Dunn before Kaikai forced a corner at the other end from which Coulson headed well wide.

Oliver tried to get a head onto a Beevers cross on 40 minutes, but the ball looped harmlessly off his body towards Dunn.

Tafazolli was in well to get a block on the ball after it had bounced invitingly in the box for Bird.

United almost went in ahead with a great chance in the one minutes of stoppage time as Chadwick beat Beevers on the right and paid the ball inside for Appiah, who whipped a powerful finish across goal with the ball just too fast for bird to turn home as he slid in on the far post.

Mansfield began the second half on the attack, with Taylor winning a corner to the left that Bird was able to clear.

Tafazolli then headed away a home corner two minutes later.

Kaikai then produced the first chance of the half as he came inside from the left and tested Studer with a low right-footed shot that the keeper was well behind.

Just eight minutes into the half Kaikai was replaced by Blair for the U’s.

Palmer then came on for Bingham for the Stags on 56 minutes.

Three minutes later Tafazolli was booked for bringing down Appiah on the right by-line, Mansfield able to clear the free kick from what looked a dangerous position.

United then won a corner on the hour which ended up in a real scramble at the far post with Appia unable to turn home and the ball eventually hacked clear from a flurry of bodies.

A minute later Bell came into the action in place of Oliver for the visitors as they went 4-4-1-1.

Clements almost got Palmer away with a measured through ball, Dunn just getting there first.

Another home corner ended with Blair flicking the ball at goal and Studer clutching high just below his crossbar.

On 72 minutes McGuire was sent into midfield in place of Clements.

Ex-Stag Taylor was booked 12 minutes from the end for bringing down Bell on the right.

At this stage it didn’t look like either side had a winner in them. But Stags finally snatched the lead for a second time 10 minutes from the end.

Taylor floated a long free kick to the far post where a group of players leapt to meet it and the ball somehow came off a defender and back across his keeper inside the post, seeming to come off Champion last.

Four minutes from time, Taylor forced Dunn into a save and Bell saw his follow-up deflect just over for a corner as Murray’s men made attack their best form of defence.


On the 90th minute Studer made what looked to be the save of the game as he beat away a shot from Appiah.

Rob Taylor was booked for a foul wide on the right.

Five minutes were added on and it took Cambridge just two of them to snatch a dramatic late equaliser.

A long free kick from the right was flicked on by Nelson and Appiah was there to control and apply the finish.

Suddenly it was all Cambridge and Donaldson had a rising shot deflect narrowly over.

We went into a sixth added minute in which Cambridge forced a corner. But when Studer held Nelson’s ball to the near post, the draw was secure and it was back to One Call Stadium a week on Tuesday.

CAMBRIDGE: Dunn, Tait, Taylor, Coulson, Champion, Hughes, Nelson, Appiah, Chadwick (Donaldson 67), Kaikai (Blair 53), Bird (Simpson 75). Subs not used: Norris, Atkinson, Taylor, Naylor.?STAGS: Studer; Sutton, Tafazolli, Riley, Beevers; Lambe, Heslop, Clements (McGuire 72), Taylor; Oliver (Bell 61), Bingham (Palmer 56). Subs not used: Rhead, Marsden, Waterfall, Fletcher.?REFEREE: Darren Bond of Lancashire.

ATTENDANCE: 3,869 (343 away).



Cambridge United 2 Mansfield Town 2: Match report
Nottingham Post report by Sarah Clapson

MANSFIELD Town face a replay in the battle to make the third round of the FA Cup, after drawing 2-2 against Cambridge United.

Read more: http://www.nottinghampost.com/Cambridge-United-2-Mansfield-Town-2-Match-report/story-25282359-detail/story.html?#ixzz3L9v7uT6C

In Adam Murray’s first game as manager, Rakish Bingham had put the Stags ahead inside the first few minutes, but the U’s quickly levelled through Luke Chadwick.

The home side then had the better of the second half, only for Mansfield to sneak in front courtesy of an own goal by Tom Champion.

It looked like being the winner, but, for the second time in the game, the lead was lost as Kwesi Appiah notched a late equaliser.

In his first game since taking permanent charge, Murray made two changes for the second round tie.

Kieran Freeman and Jamie Sendles-White were the duo to miss out - the former being cup-tied.

Ritchie Sutton returned from a fractured jaw, while Bingham partnered Vadaine Oliver up front.

And there was a place on the bench for teenage striker Dan Fletcher, who became the new manager’s first signing when he signed professional terms on Friday.

The visitors made the perfect start, taking the lead with just three minutes on the clock.

Good work by Lee Beevers found Rob Taylor down the left and he picked out Bingham with a superb cross.

Gifted a free header, the striker made no mistake for his fourth goal of the season - his first since September.

He was almost in again soon after when he tried to meet Beevers’ ball in, but goalkeeper Chris Dunn was able to claim the ball.

The lead though, lasted just seven minutes as Cambridge quickly grabbed an equaliser.

A mistake by Simon Heslop gifted the hosts possession and a quick pass from Tom Champion found Chadwick, who slotted the ball into the net.

After a bright opening few minutes, the game then hit something of a lull, with few chances for either side.

United came closest to adding to the scoreline with a break by Chadwick. He played in Kwesi Appiah, with Sascha Studer blocking the front man’s low effort with his legs.

Sullay Kaikai’s free-kick was then deflected wide after more careless play saw Taylor foul Richard Tait.

And on the half hour, Appiah fired beyond the post from 12 yards after a goalmouth scramble which Mansfield struggled to clear.

Bingham continued to have the best of the openings for Murray’s side.

A cross from Taylor just whizzed past his head with 20 minutes gone, but he missed a glorious chance quarter of an hour later.

Linking up with Reggie Lambe, he was left with a free header in the penalty area but couldn’t find the target and put his effort over the bar.

Taylor at least made Dunn work immediately after with a half-volley, though it was comfortable for the shot-stopper.

But Cambridge almost snatched the lead just before the break when Beevers lost out to Chadwick, who fed Appiah. The shot across goal flashed wide, with Ryan Bird unable to connect at the back post.

The U’s began the second half the brighter of the two teams, seeing more of the ball, though without really testing Studer.

Chadwick hit the side-netting and the Swiss stopper had little difficulty in thwarting an attempt from Kaikai from just inside the box.

Cambridge continued to press and Mansfield survived a real goalmouth scramble on the hour, with Appiah unable to turn the ball in at the far post.

Stags had struggled to mount a significant attack since the break as the home side edged the possession stakes, and Studer came to the rescue again with 68 minutes gone, catching a looping strike from Blair just under the crossbar.

Cambridge keeper Dunn had had very little to do since the re-start, but he was left picking the ball out of the net with ten minutes to go.

A free-kick from Taylor was sent over to the back post, where a sea of bodies leapt to meet it, with the ball seemingly going in off Champion for an own goal.

It came very much against the run of play, but substitute Fergus Bell went close to extending his team’s advantage, drawing a brilliant fingertip save from Dunn with a blistering strike from outside the box.

The U’s refused to give up and Studer was forced to make a brilliant save on the stroke of normal time, pushing away a fierce strike from Appiah.

In added time however, the same player grabbed a late equaliser to force a replay.

A long free-kick was flicked on by Michael Nelson, with Appiah poking the ball home.

The hosts threw everything at their opponents before the final whistle, in an attempt to find a winner but both sides will now be in the hat for the third round draw on Monday.

CAMBRIDGE: Dunn, Tait, Coulson, Nelson, Taylor, Kaikai (Blair 53), Champion, Hughes, Chadwick (Donaldson 67), Appiah, Bird (Simpson 75). Subs not used: Norris, Atkinson, Taylor, Naylor.

MANSFIELD: Studer, Sutton, Riley, Tafazolli, Beevers, Lambe, Clements (McGuire 72), Heslop, Taylor, Bingham (Palmer 56), Oliver (Bell 62). Subs not used: Rhead, Marsden, Waterfall, Fletcher.

Attendance: 3,869 (343 away).


cambridge-united.co.uk, by Matthew Gooding

Replay looms after Appiah equaliser

Kwesi Appiah netted a stoppage time leveller to earn Cambridge United an FA Cup replay as they drew 2-2 with Mansfield Town.

Read more at http://www.cambridge-united.co.uk/news/article/cambridge-united-mansfield-town-fa-cup-2127110.aspx#l1I23Ks4X8iMf6qr.99

The U’s suffered an early blow when Rakish Bingham nodded the Stags in front from Rob Taylor’s left-wing cross. But they levelled six minutes later when Luke Chadwick was put through by Liam Hughes and slotted under Sascha Studer.

United enjoyed the majority of the ball in the second half, but appeared to be heading out of the competition when Tom Champion headed past his own keeper with ten minutes to go.

But Appiah’s late strike means the teams will do battle again at Field Mill.

Richard Money made one enforced changed to his starting line-up. With Jordan Chiedozie cup-tied, Luke Chadwick came into the side. On the bench, Money was able to welcome back Ryan Donaldson after a three-week absence due to injury.

And, as at Wimbledon last week, the U’s gave themselves a mountain to climb by conceding an early goal. Four minutes were on the clock when Mansfield found themselves with a man over down the U’s right. Robert Taylor was that man and his cross found Bingham, who climbed unchallenged at the back post to head in.

The Stags finding space down the flanks was to prove a theme of the half, but United got themselves back on level terms in the 10th minute. Liam Hughes picked up a loose pass and slotted the ball through to Chadwick, who kept his cool to slide the ball under the advancing Studer.

Chadwick had a lively half, linking well with Appiah on a number of occasions. The on-loan Crystal Palace saw a shot well-saved by Studer after Chadwick’s precise through ball, then on the stroke of half-time a fine move involving Chadwick and Ryan Bird saw the ball worked into Appiah, who dragged his shot across goal.

Mansfield threatened throughout the half thanks mainly to the dangerous wing-play of Taylor and Reggie Lambe. Bingham should have done better when he got free in the area to meet Lambe’s floated cross, but could only head well over. Then a header from Lambe himself had to be hacked clear by Michael Nelson.

The second half was mainly one way traffic, with the U’s pushing their opponents back without testing the keeper. Appiah should have done better at the back post after Nelson had flicked a corner into his path, but he could could only scuff a shot straight into the arms of Studer.

Though the visitors seemed happy with a replay, the travelling fans were celebrating a second goal when a free kick from Taylor flicked off the head of Champion and rolled into the bottom corner.

And when Appiah’s powerful effort was clawed away by Studer, it seemed as though the game was up. But then a long free kick into the box from Tait was flicked on by Nelson, and Appiah found a yard of space to control and poke the ball into the net, meaning both teams will be in the hat for Monday’s third round draw.

May I Claim Man of the Match: Richard Tait.

Cambridge United: Dunn, Tait, G.Taylor, Coulson, Nelson, Kaikai (Blair 53), Chadwick (Donaldson 67’), Champion, Hughes, Appiah, Bird (Simpson 75). Subs not used: Norris, Atkinson, B.Taylor, Naylor.

Mansfield Town: Studer, Sutton, Beevers, Riley, Tafazolli, Taylor, Lambe, Heslop, Clements (McGuire 73), Bingham (Palmer 56), Oliver (Bell 62). Subs not used: Rhead, Marsden, Waterfall, Fletcher.

Referee: Darren Bond

Attendance: 3,869 (away 343)



Latest | December 2014