{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from February 2014

24th February 2014 0:35

video highlights


Second-string secure top spot
mansfieldtown.net report, 17th February 2014
by Andrew Webb

Our second-string have secured their place in the Final Third Development League Cup Semi-Finals as they came from behind to win 2-1 at Rotherham United today.

Read more at http://www.mansfieldtown.net/news/article/second-string-secure-top-spot-1363731.aspx?#46bZHSjV8jZPVGXr.99

Tom Hitchcock fired the Millers ahead with a contentious strike after only three minutes, but Ollie Palmer equalised with a low finish before the quarter-hour mark.

Both teams had opportunities to snatch all three points and the Stags did just that in the 79th minute when trialist Craig Lynch broke away and fed Ben Hutchinson, who fired home from 20 yards.

We now advance to the Semi-Finals along with Group A winners Leicester City. Morecambe, Wigan Athletic and Carlisle United are all in contention to win Group C.

On a bitingly cold afternoon in South Yorkshire, we made the worst possible start as the hosts registered an early lead in controversial circumstances.

Nicky Adams threaded a low ball though towards an advancing Hitchcock, who despite being in an offside position, yards in front of any player, slotted past Ian Deakin.

It took our side less than 10 minutes to draw level though, as Jamie McGuire’s defence-splitting pass found an accelerating Palmer, who beat Scott Shearer at a tight angle.

Shearer kept out attempts from Lindon Meikle, Hutchinson and Palmer, but Rotherham spurned several gilt-edge openings in the moments leading up to half-time.

Deakin had already saved two shots from Reece Lucas and a free-kick from Michael O’Connor, before he showed exceptional reflexes to keep us on level terms.

Haris Vuckic latched onto a long downfield ball and was denied by Deakin, who got up quickly and made an instinctive reaction save to Nicky Walker’s follow-up attempt.

Stags’ full-back Liam Marsden then made the first of three goal-line clearances in a two-minute spell, as the Millers, much to their frustration, were unable to find a way through.

After the re-start, Vuckic wastefully blazed over from eight yards following an inviting cross by Richard Brindley, whilst Deakin also made more smart saves.

At the other end, Meikle let fly with an audacious 20-yard attempt on the hour mark, which had to be turned round the post by a full-stretch Shearer.

We took the lead with just 11 minutes remaining when trialist Craig Lynch broke quickly down the centre and played a simple ball to Hutchinson, whose low shot found the bottom corner.

Rotherham almost snatched a share of the spoils on the brink of stoppage-time, when Vuckic latched onto a through ball and rattled the upright, but we held on for an important win.

Team: Deakin, Marsden, Sutton, Beevers, Black, Dyer (Lynch), Murray, McGuire (J.Thomas), Meikle, Hutchinson (c), Palmer.


Rotherham Res 1 v 2 Mansfield - Report
Posted: Mon 17 Feb 2014
Read more at http://www.themillers.co.uk/news/article/rotherham-res-1-v-2-mansfield-report-1364907.aspx?#lhOuXsCJm5175jYG.99

The Millers are defeated by Mansfield Town...
Rotherham United Reserves were defeated 2-1 in their Final Third Development Cup fixture against Mansfield Town at Roundwood.

The pitch stood up to the recent blast of wind and rain but the Millers struggled to find their rhythm in game that was bereft of clear cut chances.

Rotherham once again fielded a very strong team with senior professionals Scott Shearer, Richard Brindley, Miles Addison, Joe Skarz, Michael O’Connor, Nicky Adams, Haris Vuckic and Tom Hitchcock all starting.

It didn’t take long for the Millers to assert themselves on the game with a goal after just three minutes. Adams showed some nimble footwork on the edge of the penalty area before feeding the ball to Hitchcock who fired the ball beyond Ian Deakin in the Mansfield goal.

The visitors responded well to going behind with Oliver Palmer going close when his header from a free-kick was narrowly over Shearer’s crossbar.

It proved to be second time lucky for Palmer when the Stags front-man netted the equaliser on 14 minutes. He took aim from the angle with the ball going under Shearer before nestling into the back of net.

It was busy start to the game for Shearer when two minutes later he made a terrific save with his feet after a low drive by Lindon Meikle.

On 23 minutes it was Palmer’s turn again to test Shearer after being fed by Meikle and once again the Millers’ stopper was up to the task, keeping the scores level.

Despite a promising start the game dipped as the match approached half-time. On 38 minutes Deakin made a double save to deny Nicky Walker and Vuckic, whilst Hitchcock was denied towards half-time after a tame strike towards goal.

Rotherham United 1 v 1 Mansfield Town

The second half was another slow burner; however Adams showed some glimpses of class with two teasing crosses into the area which evaded the lurking Walker.

On 66 minutes Meikle stung the palms of Shearer with a well hit strike from the edge of the area, which the former Crawley ‘keeper did well to tip wide.

With the game ebbing away towards a stalemate, the visitors netted with just eight minutes remaining to breathe some life into what was a very tame half. Sub Craig Lynch fed the ball to Hutchinson and the Stags’ skipper smashed the ball beyond Shearer with a purposeful drive from 20 yards.

The Millers almost snatched a late equaliser at the death but Vuckic’s shot slammed against the underside of the bar and bounced to safety.

Rotherham United 1 v 2 Mansfield Town

Rotherham: Shearer; Brindley, Rowe, Addison, Skarz, Walker, O’Connor, Lucas (Williamson 76), Adams, Vuckic, Hitchcock.

Subs not used: Bryan, Yates, Bell, Johnson.

Mansfield: Deakin; Marsden, Beevers, Sutton, Black, Murray, McGuire, Hutchinson, Meikle, Palmer, Dyer.

Subs: Fell, Thomas, Koczalski, Green, Lynch.


RUFC - Second String Lose To Stags
Read more: http://www.rotherham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=349995#ixzz2tcnwSYTT

Rotherham Reserves 1 Mansfield Reserves 2

A strong Rotherham United Reserve team lost out to Mansfield Town Reserves this afternoon at Parkgate as the visitors came from behind to win two-one meaning they secured their place in the Final Third Development League Cup Semi-Finals.

The Millers went ahead in the third minute of the game when some good footwork from new boy Nicky Adams on the edge of the area set Tom Hitchcock up to fire home past Stags 'keeper Ian Deakin. The visitors first chance came eight minutes later when Oliver Palmer headed just over the crossbar. On fourteen minutes the Stags drew level when Palmer, at an angle, shot under Millers 'keeper Scott Shearer and the ball went into the back of the net. Shearer then had to be on his mettle to make an excellent save with his feet from Lindon Meikle and then did well to block a shot from the dangerous Palmer. At the other end Deakin copied his opposite number when he first denied Nicky Walker and then Haris Vuckic.

The second half started off slowly with Shearer being the first 'keeper in action when full stretch he tipped a shot wide from Meikle. With twenty minutes to go Craig Lynch, on for Dyer, broke free and got a good ball to Ben Hutchinson who smashed the ball home from the edge of the area to put the visitors ahead. In the dying seconds of the game Haris Vuckic made space for himself in the area and shot towards goal but the ball came back from the underside of the bar and away to safety.

Lucas (Williamson)

Dyer (Lynch)
McGuire (J Thomas)



Latest | February 2014