{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from October 2013

22nd October 2013 0:14

Hull City Reserves 2-1 Mansfield Town Reserves
Proschwitz 47, Armstrong 69. Rhead 24.
Tue 15 Oct 2013, 7pm
at North Ferriby United

Liam Mitchell;
Liam Marsden, John McCombe, Ryan Tafazolli (Ben Birch), Paul Black (Conor Green, youth teamer);
Ben Hutchinson, Godfrey Poku, Steve Jennings (trialist), Lindon Meikle;
Matt Rhead (Kevin Hemagou, youth teamer), Ollie Palmer.
Unused Subs: Harry Waldram, Jack Thomas.

Paul Cox and chief scout Paul Ogden were in attendance.

Trialist Steve Jennings, formerly of Coventry, played ... and was sent off!


Good set of highlights available for StagsPlayer subscribers on Hull TigersPlayer (just log in with your StagsPlayer password)

A fine goal from Matt Rhead - a towering header from a superb Hutchinson free kick.
Great first half save by Liam Mitchell from a curling shot, diving away to his left.
Excellent turn of pace from Ollie Palmer to outpace the defence but fires wide in a 1-on-1.
Then the Hull equaliser was a horrendous error by Mitchell with a shot from 22 yards going straight through his legs.
A good winner for Hull with a cross from the right turned home.
No footage shown of the yellow card/red card for Steve Jennings.

In the post match interview, Hull reserves manager Stephen Clemence talks about the team being a mixtures of first team players and younger players.

FOOTNOTE/UPDATE: Sagbo scored four days later in the Premiership for Hull against Everton!


Mansfield are weighing up a move for free agent Steve Jennings
By Pete O'Rourke - Follow me: @skysportspeteo
October 14, 2013 3:25pm
Sky Sports understands Mansfield Town are weighing up a move for former Coventry midfielder Steve Jennings.

Jennings is a free agent after having his contract at Coventry cancelled by mutual consent in September.

A number of clubs are thought to have expressed an interest in Jennings, but Mansfield are hoping to win the race for his services.

The 28-year-old has linked up with the League Two club for training so that manager Paul Cox can cast an eye over him.

If Jennings impresses during his training stint, he could be offered a deal at Field Mill as Cox is keen to add to his midfield options.


Tigers battle back to earn victory
mansfieldtown.net 15th October 2013
by Andrew Webb

Our reserve team were beaten 2-1 by Hull City in a combative Central League (East Division) encounter at North Ferriby United tonight.

Read more at http://www.mansfieldtown.net/news/article/tigers-battle-back-to-earn-victory-1114791.aspx?#BR5kXLli2OqT66dP.99

Matt Rhead put us ahead with a bullet header midway though the first half, before The Tigers struck twice after the re-start to steal all three points.

The Stags had trialist Steve Jennings controversially sent-off in the closing stages, with the midfielder having appeared to do nothing to merit the bizarre red card.

On a cold autumn night in East Yorkshire, the hosts created the first opportunity, when Paul McShane headed wide from Connor Henderson’s corner.

Rhead, whose physical presence caused constant problems for Hull, hit a low 20-yard drive narrowly wide, as our team enjoyed their first chance on 12 minutes.

However, the bustling frontman nodded us ahead on 24 minutes, with a powerful header, following Ben Hutchinson’s long set-piece into the area.

The Stags gradually began to dictate play and Hutchinson had a free-kick deflected wide on the half-hour mark, before John McCombe was off-target from the subsequent corner.

On the stroke of half-time, Liam Mitchell produced a superb fingertip save to keep out a curling right-foot attempt by Tigers’ striker Yannick Sagbo.

The hosts equalised shortly after the re-start when Nick Proschwitz’s unleashed a low 25-yard strike, which squirmed under the body of Liam Mitchell.

Our side almost regained the lead on 53 minutes, when the outstanding Godfrey Poku began a move that ended with Meikle curling an effort wide.

The Stags went even closer on the hour mark as Rhead connected to Hutchinson’s sublime 50-yard cross, which forced Eldin Jakupovic to make a superb diving save.

Rhead, Hutchinson and Ollie Palmer all had further chances saved, before James Armstrong stabbed home a cross by Will Aimson to put The Tigers ahead on 69 minutes.

Our team’s miserable night in East Yorkshire was compounded in the closing stages, when Jennings received a bizarre red card for seemingly no reason.

Team: Mitchell, Marsden, Black (C.Green), McCombe, Tafazolli (Birch), Poku, Hutchinson, S.Jennings, Meikle, Rhead (Hemagou), Palmer. Unused Subs: Waldram, J.Thomas.


Reserves Battle Back For Win
Read more at http://www.hullcityafc.net/news/article/201314-reserves-mansfield-h-report-1116066.aspx#5dDdUgjJk9JPTdGb.99

Proschwitz and Armstrong on target as Reserves come from behind to beat Mansfield....

Second half goals from Nick Proschwitz and James Armstrong saw Hull City Reserves come from behind to gain a 2-1 win against Mansfield Town at North Ferriby on Tuesday night.

The Tigers took the opportunity to give some competitive match time to Eldin Jakupovic, Paul McShane, David Meyler, Yannick Sagbo and Proschwitz. Matthew Fletcher also returned to the side as Stephen Clemence made six changes to the side that drew 1-1 at Hartlepool United thirteen days earlier.

City created the first chance of the game but McShane headed wide from Conor Henderson’s corner and the Stags replied with Matt Rhead firing a right foot shot wide from the edge of the box.

Proschwitz was off target with a header and Henderson sent a free kick past the angle of post and bar before the visitors took a 25th minute lead. Ben Hutchinson’s free kick picked out Rhead and he headed back across goal and in at the far post.

The Stags could have increased their lead when Hutchinson’s drive was deflected for a corner but City could have levelled just before the break with Sagbo’s curling shot superbly tipped round the post by Mansfield keeper Liam Mitchell.

Half Time: Hull City Reserves 0 Mansfield Town Reserves 1

The Tigers had the ball in the back of the net in the opening minutes of the second period but Fletcher was ruled offside.

Ollie Palmer was sent clear for the Stags but fired wide and that miss proved costly as City equalised in the 51st minute. Proschwitz produced a battling run but his shot from just outside the box appeared to be a comfortable save for Mitchell but the keeper somehow managed to let the ball through his legs and into the net.

Lindon Meikle curled a right foot shot wide as the visitors sought to restore their lead and Jakupovic had to make a good save low to his left to keep out Rhead’s header from Hutchinson’s long ball. For the Tigers, Proschwitz volleyed high over the bar and Fletcher fired wide from the edge of the box.

Jakupovic could then only push out Rhead’s pile-driver and McShane was first to the rebound to deny Palmer what looked like a certain goal.

The winning goal came in the 69th minute as Sagbo sent Sam Topliss away down the right and his cross broke for Armstrong to fire a left foot shot low past Mitchell.

The nearest Mansfield came to an equaliser was from a Hutchinson free kick but he curled his effort wide.

The Stags were reduced to ten men with six minutes remaining when Steve Jennings received his second yellow card of the game for a comment made to the referee, having previously been booked for bringing down Meyler earlier in the half.

Hull City: Eldin Jakupovic, Sam Topliss, Max Clark, David Meyler (Dougie Wilson 67), Will Aimson, Paul McShane (Ben Clappison 67), James Armstrong, Conor Henderson, Nick Proschwitz, Yannick Sagbo (Matty Dixon 75), Matthew Fletcher.

Subs Not Used: Rory Watson, Jack Barlow, Danny Chambers.

Mansfield Town: Liam Mitchell, Liam Marsden, Paul Black (Conor Green 67), John McCombe, Ryan Tafazolli (Ben Birch 46), Ben Hutchinson, Godfrey Poku, Steve Jennings, Lindon Meikle, Matt Rhead (Kevin Hemagou 78), Ollie Palmer.

Subs Not Used: Harry Waldram, Jack Thomas.


Proschwitz and Armstrong score as Hull City beat Mansfield Town reserves 2-1
Hull Daily Mail

Read more: http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Proschwitz-Armstrong-score-Hull-City-beat/story-19939547-detail/story.html#ixzz2ht618ios
Follow us: @thisishull on Twitter | thisishull on Facebook

SECOND-half goals from Nick Proschwitz and James Armstrong saw Hull City reserves come from behind to beat Mansfield Town 2-1 on a night of determination rather than quality.
The combination of Hull Fair and England’s crucial World Cup qualifier provided competition for even the staunchest City fans with only a few brave souls venturing out for a chilly night at the Eon Visual Media Stadium. Those in attendance may have wished they’d opted for a Brandy Snap and the bright lights of the fair after City and Mansfield served up an utterly forgettable first half, which was only bettered after the break by two quality finishes.
Hull City 2 Mansfield 1: James Armstrong, left, scored the winner, after Nick Proschwitz made a goal out of nothing.
The appearance of Paul McShane after injury and the presence of fellow first-team players David Meyler, Yannick Sagbo and Nick Proschwitz provided an opportunity in an international week to cast an eye over Premier League players, with McShane and Myler both getting 70 minutes into their legs. McShane was a steady calming influence at the back, while Meyler attempted to inspire, but the fractious nature of the game, and the lack of an incisive delivery, left Sagbo and Proschwitz with little opportunity to shine despite the latter’s goal.
It took Matt Rhead’s 25th-minute header to spark not only the game but both sides into life. Rhead’s looping header into the far corner, after a needless free-kick was conceded, was the first genuine attempt on the City goal. Having been inactive for the best part of half an hour Eldin Jakupovic won’t have been happy his first real contribution was to pick the ball out the net, but the goalkeeper could do little with Rhead’s well-placed effort.

Taking the lead finally allowed Mansfield to play football after an opening period which saw City dominate the midfield battle, with little to show for their efforts. David Meyler’s cute touches and Armstrong’s drive helped the Tigers get on the front foot, but the quality of the final ball meant Sagbo and Proschwitz were feeding off scraps. A Sagbo cross which was wasted by an unmarked Proschwitz as he headed over the bar from six yards was as good as the two could muster in a pretty drab first half.
Trailing to Rhead’s solitary goal, City started the second half in positive fashion and had the ball in the net within seconds of the re-start, only for Matthew Fletcher to be denied by an offside decision. It mattered little soon after when Proschwitz took it upon himself to create his own opportunity, feinting one way, before slipping his defender to rifle home from 20 yards for 1-1.
Rather than push on, City’s squandered possession and became disjointed as Rhead was presented with a chance to grab his second goal, which he should have taken. But, just as Proschwitz had produced something from nothing for the equaliser, so did Tigers captain Armstrong, as he raced onto a loose pass to drill the ball into the bottom of the net from 25 yards out to settle the clash.



Latest | October 2013