{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from October 2013

11th October 2013 19:17

Football League Trophy - Johnstone’s Paint Trophy, Northern Area, Round 2
Mansfield Town 0 - 1 Chesterfield
McSheffrey 72.
Attendance: 4837 (1306 from Chesterfield)

Date: 8 October 2013

Martin Shaw at the One Call Stadium, Field Mill

Mansfield Town put in a fine display against Chesterfield but missed some glorious chances and fell to a 1-0 defeat in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy on a pulsating Tuesday evening, in a reversal of the league game ten days earlier. Chesterfield are the red hot favourites to win League Two and Mansfield have matched them toe to toe over these two games to give much optimism for the season. You cannot afford to miss two one-on-one situations in a match though and the Stags did that with Stevenson and Daniel the guilty parties, while Andrew also missed three good chances, and Palmer’s late effort was heading for the top corner before it was brilliantly saved. The only goal of the game came against the run of play when a free kick into the Stags box saw Marriott come out of his goal to punch clear, but he was only able to punch Ritchie Sutton’s head, and as Stags players collapsed in a heap, the loose ball fell to Gary McSheffrey who rolled into the empty net. It was rough on Mansfield. In the league game, 10 days ago, Chesterfield played the better attacking football and the Stags came away with the points having been very physical and defended superbly. Here it was somewhat the other way around and Mansfield outplayed their Derbyshire opponents with some super football, Chesterfield were very physical with Clucas being crocked six times in the first half alone, and were time wasting throughout the 15 minutes of time added on at the end, to the annoyance of the referee and Stags fans alike. However just as Spireites manager showed a bit of class and paid tribute to Mansfield for winning the game at the Proact Stadium, Stags boss Paul Cox did the same here. Overall a very entertaining game in what is often a low key competition, a real blood and thunder atmosphere, and genuine optimism for the rest of the season for both sides.

Ritchie Sutton was injured as the goal was scored and play was held up for fully 10 minutes. It was revealed by Cox afterwards that he was much better than first feared, was suffering concussion and hopefully he'll be back at training on Thursday. This was great news to hear as Stags fans were genuinely concerned for the well-being of a player who has been popular with those fans. As a side-note, huge credit to the Chesterfield fans for their applause for Sutton as he was stretchered off.

Tonight was more evidence that if the Stags are to be good enough to mount a promotion challenge then a goalscorer is required. Paul Cox is very aware of this and made reference to it in post match interviews. Anyone with an imprint of Matt Green’s 57 goals from the past two seasons in their head, could have envisaged Green knocking in several goals tonight including the two one-on-ones and some of Andrew’s chances. However, even without the addition of a goalscorer, the Stags look good enough to me to be in and around the upper mid-table.

It was the Stags first match in this competition for six years (having received a bye in round 1), and of course it is a trophy cherished by Stags fans after the win at Wembley in 1987. However to confirm how far we’ve come in a year, last season we were playing Matlock in the FA Trophy; now we are back and playing Chesterfield in the FL Trophy.

Both sides made changes from the league game at the Proact Stadium: Mansfield made four and Chesterfield five. Two of Chesterfield’s were enforced, with Gary Roberts suspended and Ritchie Humphreys injured. Chesterfield were able to bring in new signing centre forward Chris Porter just signed on loan from Sheffield United and who played at Field Mill in the pre-season game; a signing of real intent by the Spireites. Paul Cox would undoubtedly have been mentioning this example to John Radford in their post match drink. Cox himself made four changes: Riley returning from suspension in place of the unlucky Tafazolli, Murtagh in for his debut in place of Howell, Stevenson for Hutchinson, and Daniel in for Jennings. It was 4-4-1-1 for the Stags with Sutton at right back, Beevers at left back. Daniel and Clucas were on the wings, changing sides throughout the game. And Stevenson played just behind Andrew.

Stagsnet report here

Man of the match: Keiran Murtagh


Cup heartache and injury worry for Stags
chad.co.uk report by John Lomas

Mansfield 0-1 Chesterfield: Gary McSheffrey’s 72nd minute goal saw arch-rivals Chesterfield gain revenge for their home league derby defeat 10 days earlier as the visitors knocked Stags out of the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy at One Call Stadium.


It was a scrappy and fortunate goal, McSheffrey gifted an empty net to find from 12 yards after a collision between home keeper Alan Marriott and Ritchie Sutton which then saw the game held up for 12 minutes while Sutton was treated and stretchered off.

Mansfield had the better of the first half chances and had only themselves to blame when Lee Stevenson and Junior Daniel both failed to beat Tommy Lee when through one-on-one either side of the break.

But the visitors were much improved after the interval and Chris Porter twice spurned good openings before the messy winner.

At least manager Paul Cox got a gutsy response from his side after Saturday’s home setback against Hartlepool to set them up for this Saturday’s League Two visit of Bristol Rovers.

He made several changes to his side, out went James Jennings, Ben Hutchinson, Ryan Tafazolli and Anthony Howell to be replaced by Junior Daniel, Lee Stevenson, Martin Riley, back from a three-game ban, and debut-making midfielder Keiran Murtagh.

Stevenson ran straight at the visitors from the kick-off and managed to get into the box and drill in a low ball that Cooper hacked clear right in front of goal.

On five minutes Stevenson chased a McGuire ball over the top and did well to get there and send a dipping shot over the bar as Cooper came in with a tackle that left Stevenson requiring treatment.

Stevenson should have scored on eight minutes when sent clear from a Clucas through ball. He had all the time in the world but allowed Lee to make a block on his low finish.

The visitors’ first threat of the night two minutes later saw Devitt head a long cross from the left back into the six yard box where Porter spun well to fire straight at Marriott.

There were no arguments over a yellow card for Hird on 13 minutes as he took both Daniel’s legs very late as he tried to burst into the box. Clucas clipped the free kick into the box only to see Dempster head wide.

O’Shea cheekily tried to lift the ball over Marriott from over 30 yards on 19 minutes with the keeper well off his line but was wide of the mark.

Both the impressive Murtagh and Daniel over-played what might have been deadly through balls as Stags looked for the opening they deserved.

McSheffrey was caught by McGuire on 26 minutes as he sent O’Shea forward. His shot flew over and the referee then went back to book McGuire for his earlier misdemeanor.

On 35 minutes Stevenson and Clucas worked the ball into the box and set up a chance for Andrew who saw Edwards bravely throw himself in the way of the finish four yards from goal.

Three minutes later Daniel headed on a Marriott kick and Andrew smashed a low shot narrowly wide of the near post.

Devitt was late on Sutton on 40 minutes to earn the third yellow card of the night and three minutes later Cooper joined him for his challenge on Clucas as the tackles flew in.

The Spireites then won a free kick of their own in stoppage time, 25 yards out and central, from which Devitt brought a great save out of Marriott, clawing the ball away high to his left.

Marriott then punched away a dangerous McSheffrey cross as the sides were applauded off the field following a full-blooded first 45 minutes in which Stags just had the edge.

However, the visitors came back out all guns blazing and missed a gilt-edge opening five minutes into the second period.

O’Shea got the ball in from the right to the near post where Porter tried to finish from five yards only to see the ball cannon off his shin for a goalkick.

Porter came desperately close again on 56 minutes as he guided a header inches wide from eight yards out from Ryan’s long cross.

Seconds later a Devitt cross deflected into the path of O’Shea who forced a good save out of Marriott.

Good work from Clucas got the ball to Stevenson in the box who saw Hird hack his finish away from almost on the line.

Stags then failed with another one-on-one on 64 minutes. This time Stevenson, as he fell, managed to poke a cutting pass down the middle, but Daniel could not find a way past Lee, who spread himself well to again be the hero as the home side forced two corners on the trot.

McSheffrey’s 20-yard shot was always rising over on 66 minutes.

The visitors then took a quick free kick with Stags switched off and O’Shea pulled a low finish into the sidenetting.

But the night turned into disaster for the Stags on 72 minutes.

Sutton and Dempster both challenged for the same high ball forward from deep on the right and collided with the advancing Marriott in the air, the ball somehow breaking nicely for McSheffrey to be able to roll it into an empty net from 12 yards.

Sutton stayed down from the collision and was treated at length.

After a 12 minute halt he was stretchered off to be replaced by Jennings to warm applause.

Palmer took over from Stevenson on 87 minutes for Stags’ final throw of the dice with 14 added minutes offered at the end.

It was edge-of-the-seats stuff as Stags forced two corners with the visitors employing the inevitable time-wasting, Ryan booked for kicking the ball away.

A minute from the end Palmer made space for a rising shot that hero Lee tipped over.

There was still time for Marriott to save low from O’Shea and Porter to put the rebound wide from close range.

STAGS: Marriott; Sutton, Riley, Dempster, Beevers; Clucas, McGuire, Murtagh, Daniel; Stevenson; Andrew. Subs: Rhead, Howell, Jennings, Meikle, Palmer.

CHESTERFIELD: Lee, Hird, Morsy, Cooper, O’Shea, Ryan, Devitt, Evatt, Porter, Edwards, McSheffrey. Subs: Banks, Darikwa, Togwell, Chapman, Brown.

REFEREE: Michael Naylor of South Yorkshire.


Mansfield Town 0 Chesterfield 1: Match report
Nottingham Post report by Matt Halfpenny

TENSE, tight, tenacious - they were all a given. So it was hardly surprising that just a single strike that owed as much to luck as anything else was enough to decide the latest high octane Notts-Derbyshire derby, which ended 1-0 to Chesterfield at Mansfield Town.


For all the good football played by both teams in a lively encounter that was the second battle for local pride in as many weeks, Gary McSheffrey's winner was the result of a collision and kind bounce that left him with an unmissable tap-in.

It was sweet revenge for the visitors, who had felt hard done to lose by the same scoreline when the sides had met in League Two at the Proact Stadium 10 days previously.

For Mansfield, they were left to rue some spurned clear cut opportunities that might have seen them run out victors, but of more immediate concern than their defeat and Johnstone's Paint Trophy exit was the injury to Ritchie Sutton.

The defender, who has been outstanding this season, was poleaxed in the build-up to the Chesterfield goal with what looked a serious injury. He must surely now be a doubt for Saturday's game against Bristol Rovers - and, quite possibly, some time beyond that.

Mansfield boss Paul Cox made four changes to his starting line-up for the match that started amid an expected crackling atmosphere.

Out went defenders James Jennings, Ryan Tafazolli and midfielders Anthony Howell and Ben Hutchinson. Coming in for his first competitive start for the Stags was Keiran Murtagh, while Martin Riley returned from suspension and Colin Daniel and Lee Stevenson were recalled.

The hosts flew out of the traps and Liam Cooper had to be alert to clear a dangerous low ball in from Stevenson, who muscled his way into the box within seconds of kick-off.

The attacking midfielder was again goalside of the Chesterfield rearguard in the fifth minute as he raced onto Jamie McGuire's pass forward, but, under pressure, lifted his attempted finish high and wide.

But it was a third chance for Stevenson soon after that was by the most clear cut. Sam Clucas played a superb through ball to put the former Eastwood man into acres of space, but he delayed his shot for a split second too long, allowing the advancing Tommy Lee to block.

The Spireites responded when Jamie Devitt headed a deep left-wing cross back into the danger zone at the back stick and Chris Porter hooked in a shot that Alan Marriott held without needing to move.

And Mansfield were relieved when Jay O'Shea - making the most of a good advantage that retrospectively saw McGuire cautioned for a foul on McSheffrey - was too high with a stinging shot from 20 yards.

As the game ticked on to the 35-minute mark, intricate play between Stevenson and Clucas fashioned an opening for Calvin Andrew, whose powerful, low drive was blocked by a last-ditch challenge from Ryan Edwards.

Another good chance came and went for the Stags when Andrew blazed a low finish on the run wide of the left-hand post.

Marriott was called into serious action for the first time just before the break as he dived to his left to tip Devitt's goalbound 25-yard free-kick around his left-hand post. In truth, it would have been harsh on the Stags to trail at that point.

The second period took a while to click into gear until O'Shea streaked away down the right and crossed low for Chris Porter who somehow contrived to volley wide from point blank range.

The Stags did not heed the warning and Porter was even closer with an eight-yard header from Jimmy Ryan's searching centre while Marriott had to push aside's O'Shea's finish as he burst onto a Devitt past.

Mansfield fans, however, were left holding their heads in their hands not long after the hour when Stevenson carved open the Spireites defence to leave Daniel one-one with Lee, but again the keeper came out on top, blocking with his knees.

But it was Chesterfield who made the decisive breakthrough in the 72nd minute as a long ball straight down the middle saw Sutton and John Dempster leap with a visiting player and McSheffrey mopped up the leftovers, rolling into an empty goal.

Play was delayed for a full 12 minutes as Sutton stayed down after the collision. He was eventually replaced by Jennings.

Not surprisingly, when the board went up at the end of 90 minutes, there were an extra 14 minutes still to go.

During that time, substitute Howell had a blasted effort repelled during a scramble, but it was left to Lee to deny Mansfield again in the dying seconds when he tipped over brilliantly from late sub Ollie Palmer.

Mansfield: Marriott, Beevers, Sutton (Jennings 84), Dempster, Riley, Daniel, Murtagh, McGuire (Howell 70), Stevenson (Palmer 87), Clucas, Andrew. Subs not used: Rhead, Meikle.

Chesterfield: Lee, Edwards, Hird, Evatt, Cooper, Morsy, Ryan, Devitt (Darikwa 90+4), O'Shea, McSheffrey (Banks 90+10), Porter. Subs not used: Togwell, Chapman, Brown.

Referee: Michael Naylor (South Yorkshire).

Attendance: 4,837 (1,306 visitors).

Mansfield's man of the match: Sam Clucas. Looked just as busy and threatening on the right of a 4-4-1-1 formation as he has been operating through the middle in recent weeks.


Match Report: Mansfield 0 Chesterfield 1
by Matthew Brooks

Gary McSheffrey’s second goal in as many games was all that separated Chesterfield and rivals Mansfield in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy.

The Spireites reclaimed the bragging rights at Field Mill to advance into the third round of the competition and keeps their dreams of Wembley alive.

Tommy Lee was at his best to keep Stags at bay and capped off a memorable evening for the travelling support when he made an outstanding stop deep into added time to deny Ollie Palmer. Both Jay O’Shea and Chris Porter had chances late on to make the game safe but failed to add to McSheffrey’s opener.

Chesterfield had put the disappointment of back-to-back defeats behind them with a gritty performance ahead of Saturday’s clash with Fleetwood Town. Paul Cook made three changes to the starting line up with Ryan Edwards, Jamie Devitt and Chris Porter - making his first start for Chesterfield since joining on a month’s loan from Sheffield United - all named in the first 11.

Mansfield manager Paul Cox made four changes and it seemed to have the desired effect, with the Stags having the better of the opening exchanges. Sam Clucas lofted his effort over the bar from inside the penalty area before Lee had to make his first of three crucial stops to deny Lee Stevenson after he was sent in the clear.

Chesterfield saw a lot of the ball but it was Mansfield who threatened again and only some desperate defending by Sam Hird and Ryan Edwards prevented Calvin Andrew from close range. Andrew had another shot that he sent wide before Jamie Devitt forced Alan Marriott into a good save.

Porter had a glorious chance to put the Spireites ahead early in the second half but the on-loan man sent his volley wide from O’Shea’s cross. It seemed to take the front man by surprise but he had another opportunity moments later when he rose highest to powerfully head Jimmy Ryan’s deep cross towards goal, but his effort sailed narrowly wide of Marriott’s left hand post once more.

Lee denied Andrew again after the striker bore down on goal before Chesterfield, who were the livelier of the teams second half, made their dominance count.

A long ball into the box from the right touchline towards Porter drew the attention of defender and goalkeeper, who clattered into each other, and when the ball broke for McSheffrey, he was presented with the easy task of rolling the ball into an empty net.

Ritchie Sutton was stretchered off after the collision in a lengthy delay but the Spireites held on for the win.



Latest | October 2013