{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from August 2013

28th August 2013 21:00

Mansfield Town Reserves 3-1 Hull City Tigers Reserves

Dyer 8, Meikle 39, Stevenson 90. Aaron McLean 63.

21 Aug 2013

Liam Mitchell; Liam Marsden, John McCombe, Ryan Tafazolli, Colin Daniel; Louis Briscoe, Adam Murray (capt), Lee Stevenson, Lindon Meikle; Ross Dyer, Matt Rhead.
Subs not used: Godfrey Poku, Joe Flint, Jack Thomas, Jack Hawkins, Jason Gregory, Ben Birch.


Reserves: Stags 3-1 Hull City
mansfieldtown.net report, 21st August 2013

Our second-string maintained their 100% start to their Central League (East Division) campaign with a 3-1 win over Hull City at One Call Stadium.

Read more at http://www.mansfieldtown.net/news/article/reserves-stags-3-1-hull-city-1006691.aspx?#vxFgPlimtlsxe8Xu.99

Ross Dyer, Lindon Meikle and Lee Stevenson were our scorers, whilst Aaron McLean was on-target for the Premier League visitors.

The Stags went ahead in just the eighth minute when Dyer rose highest at the near-post to meet Adam Murray’s pin-point free-kick.

However, the visitors almost levelled instantaneously through Paul McElroy, who rattled the upright with an audacious long-range drive.

The Tigers soon enjoyed a sustained spell of pressure, but McLean was unable to hit the target with a powerful drive from distance.

Stags’ keeper Liam Mitchell was eventually tested by Sam Topliss, before the lively Meikle cut inside and fired over on the half-hour mark.

Nevertheless, Meikle put The Stags into a 2-0 lead at the interval as he tapped home at close-range after some fine work by Dyer.

On the hour mark, Stevenson skewed a shot over the woodwork after Meikle’s run and pull-back exposed holes in The Tigers’ defence.

The visitors halved their deficit when McLean was left with a routine tap-in, but The Stags still looked the more threatening team in the closing stages.

Townsend’s goal-line deflection prevented Rhead from adding a third, before Stevenson was denied courtesy of some good goalkeeping.

The Stags, however, sealed victory on the brink of added time when Stevenson produced a composed finish following Rhead’s defence-splitting pass.

Team: Mitchell, Marsden, McCombe, Tafazolli, Daniel, Meikle, Murray (c), Stevenson, Briscoe, Rhead, Dyer. Unused Subs: Flint, Birch, Gregory, J.Thomas, Poku, Hawkins.


Mclean Nets For Reserves
Read more at http://www.hullcityafc.net/news/article/201314-reserves-mansfield-a-report-1007103.aspx?#I8IM4fspm1PbXo56.99

Striker on target but it's not enough to prevent a second successive defeat for Reserves....

Hull City Reserves went down to their second defeat of the season when they were beaten 3-1 by Mansfield Town at the One Call Stadium on Wednesday night.

Stephen Clemence made two changes to the side that lost 2-0 to Scunthorpe United eight days earlier. Ben Clappison replaced Max Clark in the centre of defence and Aaron Mclean came in for James Armstrong.

Lee Stevenson fired wide for the Stags in the opening minute before Conor Townsend replied for the Tigers but his free kick was deflected off the Mansfield defensive wall into the arms of keeper Liam Mitchell.

The hosts took the lead in the ninth minute when Ross Dyer rose to meet Adam Murray’s free kick and sent his free header past Joe Cracknell.

City were almost level within a couple of minutes when Paul McElroy cut in from the left and his right footed cross smacked against the crossbar.

Matt Rhead headed over from a Lindon Meikle cross for the Stags before the Tigers created their best move of the opening period. Matty Dixon, Sam Topliss, Calaum Jahraldo-Martin and Danny Chambers were all involved before Mclean fired just over the bar from the edge of the box.

McElroy’s low left foot shot was easily saved by Mitchell before Meikle won the ball in his own half and advanced into the City box only to fire a right foot shot over the bar.

The Stags doubled their lead in the 39th minute when Dyer’s shot took a slight deflection off a City defender which meant that Cracknell could only turn the ball into the path of Meikle who tapped in from close range.

City tried to reduce the arrears before the break when Dixon’s corner fell for Jahraldo-Martin. His first effort pole-axed Mclean and his second was saved by Mitchell low to his right.

Half Time: Mansfield Town Reserves 2 Hull City Reserves 0

The Tigers made a change during the interval with Armstrong replacing Topliss as they opted to go with just three at the back.

The opening quarter hour of the second period was fairly quiet until Stevenson shot high over the bar from Meikle’s cross.

City pulled a goal back in the 61st minute when Dixon and Armstrong combined down the right and as the latter advanced into the box the ball broke for Mclean to fire a right foot shot into the bottom corner.

The Tigers went in search of an equaliser but were unable to find one and the Stags secured the win in the final minute when Rhead released Stevenson to beat Cracknell with a left foot shot into the bottom corner.

Mansfield Town: Liam Mitchell, Liam Marsden, Louis Briscoe, John McCombe, Ryan Tafazolli, Lindon Meikle, Adam Murray, Matt Rhead, Ross Dyer, Lee Stevenson, Colin Daniel.

Subs Not Used: Godfrey Poku, Joe Flint, Jack Thomas, Jack Hawkins, Jason Gregory, Ben Birch.

Hull City: Joe Cracknell, Sam Topliss (James Armstrong 46), Conor Townsend, Matty Dixon, Ben Clappison, Will Aimson, Calaum Jahraldo-Martin (Jack Barlow 81), Aaron McLean, Danny Chambers (Scott Canham 68), Dougie Wilson, Paul McElroy.

Subs Not Used: Rory Watson, Jake Simpson, Max Clark.



Latest | August 2013