{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from July 2013

30th July 2013 13:55

Pre-Season Friendly
Boston United 3 - 1 Mansfield Town
Milnes 19, 49, Miller 34. Hutchinson 76
Attendance: 393 (55 from Mansfield)

Date: 27 July 2013

Martin Shaw at York Street (now known as the Jakemans Stadium)

Mansfield Town put in a disappointing performance to go down to a 3-1 defeat at Conference North side Boston United this afternoon. The Stags had started well as Louis Briscoe hit the underside of the bar but conceded two first half goals with poor defending, and then another just after half time with more poor defending, before substitute Ben Hutchinson pulled one back with a fine goal after 76 minutes. Manager Paul Cox was visibly annoyed by the performance and kept the entire squad on the pitch after the game for a public running session.

Stagsnet report here


Paul Cox gives Mansfield Town players public dressing down after sloppy 3-1 defeat at Boston United
chad.co.uk report by Craig Priest

Three gifted goals saw Mansfield Town condemned to a disappointing defeat at the hands of Boston United this afternoon.


Paul Cox, clearly frustrated by his team’s falterings, put the entire squad through a post match training session and gave them a public dressing down as the Conference champions fell to a 3-1 defeat.

Left back Paul Black gifted the Pilgrims two first half goals before lacklustre concentration handed the hosts a third shortly after the interval. Substitute Ben Hutchinson grabbed what proved to be a consolation late on as the Stags upped their game.

Mansfield were forced to play youth Tteam goalkeeper Harry Waldram as second choice Ian Deakin missed out through injury, but other than that it was a strong squad fielded by boss Cox, which perhaps justifiess his post match actions.

Stags enjoyed the best early chance on four minutes as an excellent driven run from Louis Briscoe saw the wide man hit the bar. However other than that Mansfield offered little and it was youngster Waldram who kept out several stray efforts from the hosts as his defence lacked concentration against a three pronged attack.

Waldram was then left hopelessly exposed on 19 minutes as the experienced Paul Black made a catastrophic error. Attempting to lay the ball back to a fellow defender, Black’s pass lacked pace and was picked up by Ben Milnes who made no mistake in lashing home the loose ball to open the scoring.

Six minutes later the young stags shotstopper had to be quick off his line to mop up a Pilgrims attack as Ricky Miller and Marc Newsham cantered through the absent midfield.

Mansfield then began to up their game as on 28 minutes, fluent movement between Stevenson and Briscoe saw the latter send Speight through on goal, unfortunately for the Stags hitman he curled narrowly over the top of the bar but with the keeper beaten.

Despite Mansfield growing in confidence it was disaster five minutes later as a Clements corner broke down and the hosts countered. Paul Black was pulled inside out by Ricky Miller who curled a beautiful effort into the top corner to double Boston’s lead.

On the stroke of half-time Stags were extremely fortunate not to concede a third as Newsham drilled low into the area, Ben Milnes was left free in the box and struck the post before Martin Riley removed the danger.

George Pilkington replaced Paul Black at the interval but, despite the change, Stags were again picking the ball out of the net on 48 minutes. Chris Clements gave away a free kick on the right hand side and Stags completly switched off as the hosts played the set peice short and quick, resulting in Milnes firing beneath Waldram from Milnes’ assist.

Mansfield tested the water as the game progressed as Jake Speight brushed the bar and defender George Pilkington saw a 30 yard drive saved low. However there were still visible gaps in midfield and Cox soon rang the changes on 70 minutes and trialists Jordan Ball, Eddie Gnorea and Brent McGrath were introduced.

Five minutes later the treble change paid off as Jordan Ball whipped in a low cross after the tough tackling Gnorea had won a corner. Ben Hutchinson, who was introduced before the hour for Meikle, tucked home from 14 yards to make it 3-1.

Eddie Gnorea, on the books of Birmingham City, was impressive in midfield with his tough tackling nature, but no matter how many strings the 19 year old midfielder pulled, Stags just couldn’t find another goal.

Fellow trialist Ball wasted the best chance at the death, firing over from Hutchinson’s corner.

At the full time whistle Cox instructed his players to stay on the pitch putting them through an intense running session which included a verbal dressing down, Stags now have one more friendly to put things right as they head for Gainsborough Trinity on Tuesday evening (7.30pm kick-off) before the season’s opener at Scunthorpe United.

Stags man of the match: Ben Hutchinson.

FULL TIME: Boston United 3 (Ben Milnes 19, 48 Ricky Miller 33) Mansfield Town 1 (Ben Hutchinson 76).

Referee: Declan Ford.

Attendance: 393 (est 55 from Mansfield).

Stags: Harry Waldram, Ritchie Sutton (C), Martin Riley, Ryan Tafazolli (Liam Marsden (68 mins), Paul Black (George Pilkington 45 mins), Louis Briscoe, Chris Clements (Jordan Ball 70 mins), Anthony Howell, Lindon Meikle (Ben Hutchinson 58 mins), Lee Stevenson (Eddie Gnorea 70 mins), Jake Speight (Brent McGrath 70 mins)

Not Used: Chris Spencer, Amari Morgan-Smith, Jason Gregory, Jack Thomas, Ben Birch, Trovarn Demar-Thompson, Jack Hawkins, Jordan Vilums, Jordan Fell (GK)


Boston United 3 Mansfield Town 1: Magic from Miller and Milnes sees the Pilgrims slay the Stags
by Duncan Browne duncan.browne@jpress.co.uk


Moments of magic from Ricky Miller and Ben Milnes helped Boston United earn a 3-1 victory over Mansfield Town.

Miller’s goal was a moment of individual brilliance, while Milnes’ finish - although simple - was testament to tasty teamwork.

The Stags had lost 3-2 to Coventry City in a friendly the previous evening and rested the XI which started that match.

However, manager Paul Cox still brought a competitive squad of 26, some of which played their part in Mansfield’s promotion to League Two last season.

United rested Gary Mills, who was nursing a sore Achilles, and James Reed was on duty with the reserves at Louth Town.

And the Pilgrims suffered a setback in the warm-up when Stefan Galinski’s calf injury began playing up again.

But trialist Indy Aujla was drafted in as Dennis Greene experimented with a 3-5-2 formation.

Conor Marshall, Scott Garner and Carl Piergianni played as the three central defenders, while Peter Bore and Netan Sansara were used as covering wing backs.

But even an additional defender can’t stop Stags striker Louis Briscoe when he gets going.

The heavy-set forward powered his way into the penalty area, shrugging off the challenge of Ian Ross, before beating Ashley Timms with his laces... only to see his strike rattle the underside of the Boston bar.

United then saw efforts from Ricky Miller and Aujla fly off target before Marc Newsham gave the hosts a 19th-minute lead.

After being put through by Bore, he made no mistake, slamming his effort beyond Harry Wardram’s dive.

The Stags should have pulled level, but two good chances eluded Jake Speight.

The striker looked odds on to score with a simple free header from close range after Lindon Meikle’s strike was deflected.

But as it looped over keeper Timms, his outstretched finger was enough to take the ball off the forward’s forehead.

Moments later and Speight was granted a sight of goal, but his curler flew inches wide of the post.

A moment of magic doubled Boston’s lead in the 34th minute.... magic from the boots of Ricky Miller.

Turning defence into attack, Ian Ross broke down a Mansfield corner and played an inch-perfect pass to Miller.

On the half way line, and down the right flank, he still had plenty of work to do. But the pacy forward cut inside, beat two men with for speed and slammed home a 20-yard left footer which beat Wardram at his near post.

The Pilgrims needed just three minutes of the second half before they netted goal number three.

It was something special, and straight from the training ground.

Ross looked set to have a strike from a free kick 25 yards out. Instead he rolled it to the feet of Newsham who, in turn slipped in Ben Milnes.

The midfielder - who had continued his run after standing over the ball alongside Ross - beat Wardram with a low strike.

After introducing the Ross-from-the-edge-of-the-box set-play last season, it seems boss Dennis Greene is looking to add extra routines to the arsenal.

It just wasn’t Speight’s day and, as the away side looked to claw their way back into the game, he finally got the better of Timms, only to see his effort hit the bar.

Timms was then called into action to make a good save from Ben Htchinson’s powerful strike from distance while, at the other end, Spencer Weir-Daley lashed a strike just wide.

The Stags found the net with 14 minutes remaining, Hutchinson slamming home after a low ball across the Pilgrims’ penalty area evaded everyone else in the packed box.

UNITED: Timms, Bore (Sanders 85), Sansara, Aujla (Green 74), Garner, Piergianni, Ross (Weir-Daley 54), Marshall, Miller (Fairclough 74), Newsham, Milnes; Subs (not used): Nuttell, Bennett, Vince.

MANSFIELD: Wardram, Riley, Black (Pilkington HT), Tafazolli (Marsden 69), Clements (McGrath 71), Stevenson (Ball 71)), Meikle (Hitchinson 59), Howell, Speight (Gnorea 72), Sutton, Briscoe; Subs (not used): Spencer, Morgan-Smith, Fell, Gregory, Thomas, Birch.



Latest | July 2013