{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from December 2012

14th December 2012 22:22

FA Cup Round 2 replay
Mansfield Town 2 - 1 Lincoln City
Farman OG 14, Briscoe 76. Smith 41.
Attendance: 5304 (1360 from Lincoln)

Date: 12 December 2012

by Martin Shaw

Mansfield Town deservedly won through to the third round of the FA Cup, and a mouth-watering clash against the mighty Liverpool on January 6th. In a game that was scarily similar to the first game, the Stags were dominant for the first 40 minutes, taking the lead when John Dempster's header hit the post and went in off hapless Lincoln Paul Farman, but out of the blue, and with their first chance, Lincoln equalised just before half time through Adam Smith. Lincoln were on top in the early stages of the second half, just as they had been at Sincil Bank, but the Stags defence stayed rock solid this time, with Dempster and Geohaghon outstanding in central defence, and eventually the Stags wrestled back control. A moment of true high quality won the game for the Stags with a great ball from Clements to Howell, who fed Briscoe with a quality square ball, and Briscoe finished with aplomb. After that Lincoln could barely get the ball into the Stags area such was the dominance of the Stags defence, and the Stags were the clearly deserved winners.

So, bring on ... Hyde. There are four league games to play before Liverpool come to town, and the Stags need to stay 100% focused to continue the good run in the league. Come on Mansfield!

Stagsnet player ratings in the Match Centre


Mansfield Town 2-1 Lincoln City, FA Cup Second Round Replay
chad.co.uk report

LOUIS Briscoe was again the hero as Mansfield Town booked a dream FA Cup third round home tie with seven-times winners Liverpool next month as he grabbed a 75th minute winner to shoot down Lincoln City 2-1 in a thrilling second round replay at the One Call Stadium.


Briscoe bagged an equaliser in the original 3-3 draw at Sincil Bank and also made a last ditch goal line clearance to force this replay.

The game beat the Arctic freeze thanks to the help of a hot air balloon on the pitch, largely paid for by the live ESPN cameras broadcasting the match.

And it proved compulsive viewing for the big crowd and the watching TV audience.

Outstanding home skipper John Dempster headed Paul Cox's men into a 14th minute lead and dominated the first 40 minutes with keeper Paul Farman pulling off an unbelievable double save on the half hour.

But ex-Stag Adam Smith beat the offside trap to level against the run of play on 41 minutes as City ended the half in charge.

Mansfield returned to the field all guns blazing and Farman produced another great save to deny Dempster a second goal.

That signalled another spell of Lincoln pressure which Mansfield weathered.

It was anyone's tie eventually and after Jamie Taylor has wasted a great close range headed chance on 73 minutes, the guile of Chris Clements and muscle of Anthony Howell carved out the opening for Briscoe who took it with much aplomb.

Suddenly the dream had become reality and now Liverpool's stars will grace the One Call Stadium on Sunday, 6th January (4pm) for a mouthwatering third round tie.

Both sides had warmed up in style for the tie, being televised live by ESPN, by scoring four goals in weekend victories.

City, managed by ex-Stags boss David Holdsworth, included former Mansfield players Gary Mills and Adam Smith plus locally-born Dan Gray in their starting line-up with ex-Stags striker Colin Larkin on the bench.

Holdsworth was roundly booed as he walked across the pitch to take his place in the dug-out, but took it good spirit as he waved and laughed at his former home crowd.

Green was caught offside in the opening 10 seconds as Hutchinson tried to carve out a quick opener.

City then headed clear a second minute corner as Mansfield asked the early questions.

Marriott confidently punched away the first long throw from Gray from the right on four minutes.

It was then Geohaghon's turn to out in Mansfield's first long throw which saw Hutchinson flick a near post header over.

Dempster threw himself in the way of a low Power shot from 20 yards soon after in an exciting opening to the night.

Green's tenacity won Stags another long throw near the right corner flag which keeper Farman grabbed at the near post.

Then Briscoe made space before drilling a low shot wide from 20 yards after a good spell of keep-ball from the home side.

But Stags roared ahead on 14 minutes.

Clements floated a long central free kick towards the left hand side of goal where Dempster rose to loop a header over Farman who turned to see it find the net off the inside of the far post.

Hutchinson curled a free kick over the near angle from the left hand edge of the box after the hard-working Meikle had drawn another foul.

The referee had allowed a few tackles to go with a word in the ear, but Howell's wild challenge on Mills on 24 minutes was well worth the first booking of the night.

A lack of communication between Marriott and Geohaghon allowed City an unnecessary first corner a minute later which thankfully flew through everyone to safety.

Farman kept Lincoln in the tie with a superb double save on the half-hour.

Briscoe burst into the box on the right and drilled in a low cross which Hutchinson controlled and turned on to fire a decent shot at goal.

Farman parried this and then covered himself in more glory as he stretched a hand upwards to somehow keep out Green's looping follow-up.

Stags shouted for a penalty for handball against Gilbert on 32 minutes.

But the referee said the offence was outside the box and Clements whipped the kick wide of the far post.

Great footwork by Dempster on the left by-line saw him manage to cross to Briscoe, whose finish deflected wide for a corner, from which Dempster headed straight at Farman.

Dempster's free header from the next home corner was blocked en route as Stags continued to turn the screw on City.

However, the visitors stunned Stags with an equaliser on 41 minutes.

The home side were caught out by a long, high punt forward by Gray which saw Smith clean through as defenders looked for an offside flag that never came.

The ex-Stags winger showed ice cool to then lift the ball expertly over an advancing Marriott and the ball dropped perfectly into the empty net.

Smith almost conjured up another two minutes later as he teased on the left of the box before blasting a shot from a tight angle that Marriott beat away to safety.

After being under the cosh for much of it, City ended the half on the front foot, Stags having to defend another corner and two more long Gray throws, as City went in very fortunate to be on level terms.

Sutton took over from Thompson as home right back for the second half.

Clements over-hit the first Stags corner of the half. Another soon followed from which Farman pulled off another great save.

Dempster forced the keeper down to his left to keep out his first header superbly, then Hutchinson put the ball back over where Dempster got there again with a diving header that this time landed just wide.

But Smith caused Stags problems as he tried to turn inside two defenders, the ball rolling towards Marriott who raced off his line but was never going to get there, Smith able to hook the ball goalwards where Geohaghon was well placed to comfortably clear in front of the unguarded net.

Taylor angered home fans when he went down in the box like a sack of potatoes under minimal contact from Geohaghon, the referee unimpressed by his penalty claims.

City were enjoying a good spell now and Power saw his left wing corner bounce through a crowded home six yard box.

Then a splendid Smith cross was just headed away by Dempster to Power who blazed it hard and low across the six yard box as once again no one was able to capitalise.

City soon forced another flag kick which Marriott failed to connect with cleanly with a punch and was happy to see Beevers hook clear.

Needing to try to end this spell of away pressure, Stags sent on target man Rhead in place of Hutchinson to try to hold the ball up.

Rhead and Boyce were lectured for an overly-physical tussle waiting for a Beevers throw which was poor in the end and cleared.

City broke well after that with Smith crossing for Taylor at the far post who was allowed to get in a header from a tight angle that he should not have been able to reach and force Marriott into a block.

The ball ran back to Taylor who again went down easily, asking for a penalty and, on what had gone before, was lucky not to see a yellow card.

A brief home shooting chance was lost when Howell and Rhead got in each other's way on the edge of the box.

Rhead then sent a tame header wider from Clements' free kick as we entered the last 20 minutes looking for a hero.

Taylor was almost that man on 73 minutes as he glanced a diving header wide from four yards right in front of goal after Gray had crossed in from the right.

So Stags survived to fight again and Clements' low shot was straight at Farman soon after.

And on 75 minutes the home side roared back ahead.

A really intelligent pass forward from Clements picked out Howell in acres of space in the left of the box. And, as he was challenged, he poked a square pass to Briscoe who whipped a first time right-footed finish past man of the match Farman.

Desperate City made a double substitution with nine minutes to go, Marriott bravely grabbing a header from a corner on the restart.

Frustration crept in as Power was booked for felling Howell on 83 minutes.

Three added minutes were safely negotiated and the final whistle brought a good-hearted pitch invasion from jubilant home fans.

STAGS: Marriott; Thompson (Sutton h/t), Geohaghon, Dempster, Beevers; Briscoe, Howell, Clements, Meikle; Hutchinson (Rhead 61), Green. Subs: Speight, Wright, Murray, Stevenson, Daniel.

LINCOLN: Farman, Mills (Oliver 81), Boyce, Smith (Larkin 81), Power, Taylor, Sheridan (Robinson 86), Gray, Miller, Gilbert, Mofana. Subs: Robson, Nicolau, Turner, Morgan.

REFEREE: Darren Sheldrake of Surrey.

ATTENDANCE: 5,304 (1,360 away).


Mansfield Town v Lincoln: FA Cup match report
Nottingham Post report

BRING on Liverpool.

It was all about beating the big freeze to get this FA Cup second round replay between Mansfield and Lincoln on last night.


And then, an even bigger test for the Stags to ensure their dream of a meeting with Liverpool was not frozen out altogether.

In the end, it was job done. The heaters under the giant tented balloon covering the pitch – the £80,000 cost of which was said to have been paid for by ESPN – got the game on.

And the only thing on ice by the end was the Mansfield Town champagne as John Dempster and Louis Briscoe's strikes either side of Adam Smith's equaliser set up a dream third round tie against the seven-times FA Cup winners next month.

Stags named the same side that swept aside Ebbsfleet 4-1 at the weekend but Lincoln's hat-trick hero from their 4-2 win on Saturday at Dartford, former Stag Colin Larkin, was on the bench as the rested Jake Sheridan was recalled.

There was plenty of other links to add even more spice to this local derby. The Imps are managed by David Holdsworth, the former Mansfield Town boss, and had ex-Stags players Gary Mills and Smith in their starting 11, along with local boy Dan Gray as well as Larkin on the bench.

Mansfield, meanwhile, boasted former Lincoln men Alan Marriott and Lee Beevers in their starting line-up as well as Ben Hutchinson, who was on loan at Sincil Bank during his time with Celtic.

That, along with a packed crowd on a night when Liverpool was the end prize, was always a recipe to fire up affairs on a freezing night in north Nottinghamshire.

And as the teams emerged, boos rang out for Holdsworth, but he took it in his stride, turning to both stands containing Stags fans and giving a big smile and round of applause.

The opening five minutes might have passed without incident but the atmosphere was different to anything else experienced this season, as the 5,304 fans found their voice inside the One Call Stadium.

Alan Power, the two-goal hero in the original 3-3 draw at Lincoln, drilled a low shot that Mansfield's Dempster bravely dived in front of to block on the edge of his box.

But, on 14 minutes, it was Dempster who put the Stags in front. Chris Clements, 40 yards out, floated in a free-kick to the left of the box and the central defender rose, looped a header to the far post, over goalkeeper Paul Farman and it went in off the bottom of the post.

His intention might have been to just get the ball back in the danger area but it went in and that was all that mattered.

Midway through the half, just on the edge of the area after Lindon Meikle was felled, Hutchinson floated a free kick over the bar to some ridicule from the travelling fans, where he used to play.

The banter was exchanged between supporters before Anthony Howell flew in late on Mills and earned a yellow card for his tackle, and rightly so.

Stags thought they had doubled their advantage on 30 minutes with a great move, but it was bettered by a stunning double save by Farman.

Hutchinson fed Briscoe to his right and the winger darted beyond his man and into the box before squaring to Hutchinson. He turned and fired a stinging shot and Farman kept it out, before Green put the rebound goalward. But, despite being on the floor, the Lincoln stopper got an outstretched hand to it to pluck it out of the air.

Stags were continuing to maintain the upper hand as Briscoe's shot was deflected over, before Dempster met the resulting corner but planted his header straight at Farman.

But with Stags seemingly in control, five minutes from half time, Lincoln were level as Smith emerged well clear of the Stags rearguard, with a suspicion of offside, and met the through ball and the former Stag kept his cool as he chipped Marriott to equalise.

Ritchie Sutton replaced Thompson at right-back at the start of the second half.

And two minutes in, Dempster met Clements' free-kick from the left and placed it into the bottom corner but Farman got down to palm away before the ball was fired in from the opposite side and Dempster stooped but directed his header wide.

It was a solid start by the Stags but there was a scary moment when Marriott slid out to collect and didn't get there, but as the ball was hooked into the six-yard box, Geohaghon was on hand to clear.

Smith then caused problems in the Stags box, causing alarm among the supporters, although no visiting player could get the decisive shot on goal.

Just after the hour, Matt Rhead replaced Hutchinson as the Stags looked for a target man up top to hold the ball up as the hosts began to come under constant pressure.

Lincoln broke from a Stags throw and in the end, Smith picked out Jamie Taylor at the far post but Marriott got down well to save from point-blank range.

Rhead won a free-kick on the left of the box but from Clements' delivery, met it without testing the goalkeeper.

Lincoln had a glorious chance to go ahead on 73 minutes when Gray swept the ball in from the right byline for Taylor, diving in, but, from four yards out, his header was poor and failed to threaten Marriott.

And two minutes later, the Stags were ahead. Clements played an intelligent ball to the left of the box for Howell who, when challenged, teed up Briscoe inside of him and he finished superbly to get the hosts in front.

In the end, that was enough and a date with Liverpool on Sunday, January 6 at 4pm at the One Call Stadium was set as the home fans poured onto the pitch to congratulate their players.

And the man who grabbed the winner, Briscoe, was the same player who produced a goal-line clearance in the first meeting at Sincil Bank with the last kick of the game to ensure a replay.

There have been plenty of twists and turns over the two games but, thanks to Briscoe and his Stags team-mates, FA Cup mania is set to grip the town of Mansfield.

It might have been freezing last night, but Liverpool at home is now the hottest ticket in town.

Man of the match: John Dempster. Scored the opening goal for Mansfield and went close with two headers in the second half. The central defender and captain was his usual committed self and set the tone when throwing himself into a superb block on the edge of his own box at the start of the game.

Referee: Darren Sheldrake (Surrey). Within ten minutes, he was fussily darting over to the sideline to warn the ball boys not to give Exodus Geohaghon a towel to wipe the ball to aid his long throw. Looked to then take control but made some decisions early in the second half that enraged both sets of supporters. Overall though, a decent display.

Attendance: 5,304 (1,360 away)

Mansfield: Marriott, Thompson (Sutton, 46), Beevers, Geohaghon, Dempster, Briscoe, Clements, Howell, Meikle, Hutchinson (Rhead, 61), Green. Subs: Speight, Wright, Murray, Stevenson, Daniel.

Lincoln: Farman, Gray, Boyce, Miller, Gilbert, Fofana, Mills (Oliver, 81), Power, Smith (Larkin, 81), Sheridan (Robinson, 86), Taylor. Subs: Robson, Nicolau, Turner, Morgan


Mansfield Town earned an FA Cup third-round home tie against Liverpool courtesy of Louis Briscoe's late winner against Lincoln City at Field Mill.

Paul Cox's Stags went in front thanks to an early own goal from Imps keeper Paul Farman.

Stags old boy Adam Smith's lob levelled the tie five minutes before the break.

But Anthony Howell fed Briscoe to fire home from 12 yards on 77 minutes to set up a lucrative home clash with the seven-times Cup winners on 6 January.

An inflatable cover, under which hot air was blown onto the playing surface, ensured that the game went ahead as scheduled at Field Mill.

If that was down to good planning, Mansfield's next slice of good news was down to good fortune when they went ahead on 14 minutes.

John Dempster's header from Chris Clements' free-kick looped over Farman before hitting the base of the post and deflecting back into the net off the Lincoln keeper's shin.

But Smith levelled five minutes before the break when, from Daniel Gray's long kick forward, he showed excellent poise to lob the awkwardly bouncing ball over stranded home keeper Alan Marriott.

Former Mansfield manager David Holdsworth had rested eight of his players for Saturday's 4-2 Blue Square Bet Premier win at Dartford in the hope of keeping them fresh.

But it was Mansfield who lasted the pace better and, with the tie just 13 minutes away from extra time, Howell's square ball across the box set up the bustling Briscoe to blast the winner.


Mansfield Town beat Lincoln City to earn FA Cup tie against Liverpool

Mansfield 2 Farman (og) 14, Briscoe 76
Lincoln 1 Smith 41
Staff and agencies

The Guardian, Thursday 13 December 2012

Mansfield Town's Alan Marriott celebrates with fans after the FA Cup second-round replay against Lincoln City. Photograph: Craig Brough/Action Images
Mansfield Town of the Blue Square Premier can look forward to an FA Cup third-round tie at home to Liverpool after Louis Briscoe's 77th-minute goal secured a 2-1 win against Lincoln City in a replay.

Louis Briscoe scored the decisive goal in the 77th minute and fans invaded the Field Mill pitch to celebrate the result at the final whistle. "It's different class," the Mansfield captain, John Dempster, told ESPN. "I can't believe it. It doesn't get any bigger, does it? We are absolutely buzzing. Unlucky to Lincoln but we have managed to nick it. What a day out for the players, supporters and all our friends and family. It's going to be different gravy."

The Stags, who required an equaliser in the third minute of stoppage time to earn a 3-3 draw at Sincil Bank and force a replay, took the lead in the 14th minute when Dempster's effort hit the woodwork and rebounded into the net off the goalkeeper, Paul Farman. Adam Smith struck a superb equaliser for Lincoln shortly before half-time but Briscoe's late winner earned Mansfield a tie against a team who beat them after a replay the only time they have previously met, in the 1970 League Cup.

"Tonight will stick in my mind for a long, long time. It's what dreams are made of," said the Mansfield manager, Paul Cox. "The support we got from the crowd and the way the players played was amazing and to get Liverpool is a dream for the club."

The third-round tie will be played on Sunday 6 January, and will be televised on ESPN. "I am pleased for the supporters and for them to be able to enjoy the third round. I am delighted for the players and the chairman," said Cox. "The three sets deserve what come their way because they have done so much for this football club. These boys seem to embrace the big games and I am so happy for them."


Mansfield 2 Lincoln 1: Stags scrape through to set up glamour tie with Liverpool
By Neil Moxley, Daily Mail

Louis Briscoe's late winner earned the Stags a bumper pay-day and a dream meeting with Premier League aristocrats Liverpool in Round Three.
The wide midfielder produced a neat finish to settle this replay 13 minutes from time as the Stags edged their way past Blue Square Premier rivals Lincoln City to set-up a classic tie against the five-time European Champions.
Briscoe sidefooted home after midfielder Anthony Howell had intelligently fed the ball into his path to leave home boss Paul Cox around £200,000 better off.

Big win: Mansfield celebrate victory over Lincoln in the FA Cup and will now face Liverpool
Match facts
Mansfield: Marriott, Beevers, Geohaghon, Dempster, Thompson (Sutton 46), Meikle, Howell, Clements, Briscoe, Green, Hutchinson (Rhead 61).

Subs Not Used: Speight, Wright, Murray, Stevenson, Daniel.
Booked: Howell.

Goals: Farman 14 og, Briscoe 77.

Lincoln City: Farman, Gilbert, Boyce, Miller, Gray, Smith (Larkin 81), Mills (Oliver 80), Fofana, Sheridan (Robinson 86), Power, Jamie Taylor.
Subs Not Used: Turner, Robson, Nicolau, Morgan.

Booked: Power.

Goals: Smith 41.

Att: 5,304

Ref: Darren Sheldrake (Surrey).
.The FA Cup always throws up those ironies. And Imps' boss David Holdsworth was the unfortunate victim of one here.
The former Sheffield United defender, now in charge of the Imps, was at Mansfield when he signed Briscoe. How that winner must have hurt as the well-travelled non-leaguer enjoyed his moment in spotlight.
In so doing, he earned Mansfield only their third clash against the Reds. The last one, in the League Cup, was 41 years ago. The crowd at the One Call Stadium, were in raptures at the final whistle as the prospect of welcoming Brendan Rodgers to their corner of north Nottinghamshire became a reality.
Mansfield had already banked one windfall. Money from televising this replay was already in the bank. And broadcasters ESPN ensured this game went ahead in sub-zero temperatures by spending £77,000 on a giant balloon to stop the pitch from freezing.
The hosts rose to the occasion early on and were given the lead in the 15th minute. Chris Clements' free-kick was floated into the area and John Dempster rose highest. The header did not carry much power but it looped onto the woodwork and entere the net, having first struck keeper Paul Farman.
Lincoln's keeper made stops either side of Adam Smith's superbly-taken 40th-minute equaliser to keep his team in it. They were given a huge filip when the former Mansfield man broke beyond the home rearguard before supplying a class finish, lobbing home keeper Alan Marriott.

Winner: Louis Briscoe fires home Mansfield's second goal against Lincoln and celebrates (below)

But as the game headed towards extra time, Briscoe decided the tie with a neat finish to bring set up a tie with the Merseysiders - albeit this time no doubt in front of a larger fireside audience in the New Year.
Mansfield Town manager Paul Cox said: 'I'm delighted for everyone involved with the club, the chairman, fans but most especially the players.
'We have had some tough matches against Lincoln and this was no exception, made more difficult if that was possible, because of what was at stake.
'I think we deserved it overall and now we have the prospect of welcoming Liverpool which is great for everyone.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2247274/Mansfield-2-Lincoln-1-match-report.html#ixzz2EwPZJYYw
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook


Mansfield Town 2 Lincoln City 1: match report

By John Percy, Field Mill

Brendan Rodgers is facing a potentially hazardous date in north Nottinghamshire next month after Louis Briscoe earned Mansfield a £200,000 payday and the chance to etch their names into FA Cup folklore.

Liverpool will play the Blue Square Premier team for only the third time in their history after Briscoe's 77th-minute goal finally settled a nervy and scrappy contest.

Briscoe is the stereotypical cup hero, with seven lower-league clubs to his name already at the age of 24, and his career-defining moment ensured a nightmare return to One Call Stadium for Lincoln's David Holdsworth, a former Mansfield manager. In another quirk that the competition frequently throws up, Briscoe also played for Holdsworth at Ilkeston before following him here.

What a moment to savour for Mansfield, who have fallen off the radar ever since slipping out of the Football League four years ago.

Paul Cox, Mansfield's manager, said: “It's a reality for us now and it will be the greatest moment of my career, and for the players. We know Liverpool could be our last game in the competition this season but we're going to enjoy it. I'll make sure we keep the players' feet on the ground as there's a carrot dangling in front of them on Jan 6.”

Mansfield had required a stoppage-time equaliser to earn a reprieve in the game at Sincil Bank but it was only 14 minutes before the breakthrough came last night. Chris Clements's deep free-kick found John Dempster and the defender's header arced agonisingly over Lincoln goalkeeper Paul Farman, who appeared inadvertently to have got the last touch, and in off the post.

Lincoln capitalised on their first genuine opportunity with an equaliser four minutes before half-time, Adam Smith producing a clever lob over the advancing Alan Marriott.

Extra-time was looming when Mansfield claimed their prize 13 minutes from the end, Briscoe producing a clinical finish from inside the area after tidy approach play. It will be Mansfield's first meeting with Liverpool since 1970, when they earned a replay – history repeating itself would probably do nicely.

Mansfield (4-4-2): Marriott; Thompson (Sutton h-t), Geohaghan, Dempster, Beevers; Briscoe, Clements, Howell, Meikle; Green, Hutchinson (Rhead 61). Subs: Speight, Wright, Murray, Stevenson, Daniel. Booked: Howell.

Lincoln (4-5-1): Farman; Gray, Boyce, Miller, Gilbert; Sheridan (Robinson 86), Fofana, Power, Mills (Oliver 80), Smith (Larkin 81); Taylor. Subs: Robson, Nicolau, Turner (g), Morgan. Booked: Power.

Referee: D Sheldrake (Surrey).



Latest | December 2012