{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from September 2012

26th September 2012 16:51

Blue Square Bet Premier
AFC Telford United 2 - 2 Mansfield Town
Tafazolli OG 14, Davies 34. Beevers 12, Speight pen 39.
Attendance: 1736 (approx 300 from Mansfield)

Date: 22 September 2012

Martin Shaw at The Bucks Head

Mansfield Town were frustrated to be held 2-2 at AFC Telford this afternoon. The Stags took an early lead through a Lee Beevers fluke when his cross flew straight in, but Telford were level two minutes later with a fortunate goal of their own as Tafazolli could only deflect a cross into his own net. Telford were in front on 34 minutes as a shot from Richard Davies crept in off the post, but Mansfield were level within 5 minutes when Speight was brought down from behind in the penalty area by defender Liam Chilvers who was the last man and consequently sent off. So the Stags played the last 50 minutes against ten men, but were unable to break them down. Sub Howell went close twice with shots from inside the box, Clements had four efforts from outside the box, Murray had a shot blocked from close range, and Meikle had a shot deflected into the side netting with the keeper wrong footed, but in truth the keeper had no difficult saves to make, and indeed it was Marriott who had to pull off an outstanding double save to keep the Stags on level terms.

The Stags were unchanged from the side that beat Braintree, thus continuing the 3-4-1-2 formation with Beevers and Daniel on either side of midfield, and Stevenson behind Speight and Rhead. The bench was also unchanged.

Stagsnet player ratings in the Match Centre


AFC Telford 2-2 Mansfield Town, Saturday 22nd September
chad.co.uk, Saturday 22 September 2012

MANSFIELD Town had to settle for a point at AFC Telford this afternoon, despite the home side playing more than half the game with 10 men.


All four goal came in a thrilling first half in which the Bucks had Liam Chilvers sent off on 38 minutes.

But the Stags were unable to make it count after the break, despite good chances for Anthony Howell and Adam Murray.

In an incident-packed first half, Lee Beevers had put Stags ahead on 12 minutes with a cross from the right that sailed straight in off the far post.

But Ryan Tafazolli put through his own net three minutes later to level and then Richard Davies made it 2-1 with a deflected shot that beat Alan Marriott.

However, Jake Speight was hauled down by Chilvers to gift Stags a penalty kick which Speight tucked away on 39 minutes.

And it still took a fantastic double save from Marriott before the break to deny the 10 men the lead for a second time in a superbly entertaining first half.

Telford defended well in the second half under the growing weight of Mansfield pressure and, despite a point from Bucks Head being a decent result on any day, Stags would have left the ground feeling they could and should have had more.

Spray bundled a shot well wide in the opening seconds.

Then, after Trainer had wasted a chance to shoot early, he laid a pass to Leslie whose 30 yard effort was only just over the angle with Marriott at full stretch and beaten.

Speight was well over on the turn as the ball ran loose following Geohaghon's first long throw of the afternoon on six minutes.

A counter-attack on eight minutes saw Telford with a spare man, but St Aimie wasted the moment, shooting hard and low from 20 yards and seeing Marriott block with a completely free Jones screaming for the ball to his right.

However, the Stags were ahead with a little good fortune on 12 minutes.

A quickly-taken free kick by Stevenson in the middle caught the Bucks napping. Beevers weighed up a cross from the right and tried to pick out Speight at the far post. Instead the ball sailed over keeper Young and bounced into the net off the inside of the far upright.

Telford hit back straight away with a cross by Jones from the right picking out St Amie who should have done better than head straight at Marriott.

However, seconds later disaster struck for Mansfield. Spray got down the left and crossed hard and low into the middle of the six yard box where Tafazolli inadvertently turned the ball past his own keeper.

Mansfield were lucky when another good run from Jones ended with a firm cross that hit St Aimie in the face who was unable to do much about it or test Marriott.

Speight, stretching, could only turn a low Daniel cross wide from the left by-line on 28 minutes.

Telford again should have done better with a 32nd minute attack, instigated by the busy Jones, which saw Leslie put a low ball into the middle of the box where Jones scuffed a first time finish straight at Marriott.

But the Bucks were ahead for the first time on 32 minutes.

St Aimie pulled a pass into the path of Davies who beat the chasing Beevers to it and saw his low effort clip Sutton and roll just inside the post with Marriott helpless.

But the drama didn't end there as Stags won a penalty on 38 minutes which saw Chilvers red-carded as the last man for the home side.

Rhead flicked on a long ball upfield from Marriott and Speight brilliantly turned Chilvers to go goalside of him and was hauled down.

The assistant referee on that side was perfectly placed to see and immediately put his flag up. The home side argued the decision but Speight eventually stepped up to send Young the wrong way and level matters again.

Spray headed well over from the first corner of the game three minutes from the break.

Spray was then sacrificed to bolster the home defence with Brown sent on.

Still the thrills came as Marriott pulled of a sensational double saver on 43 minutes.

Leslie's initial deflected shot saw Marriott readjust and make a great one-handed stop. The ball ran loose to Jones only to see the keeper stand up big and block the follow-up with his leg.

Stags were angry in stoppage time as Davies, looking for a penalty, went down in the box in vain.

The referee had to be escorted off the field at the break as the home management and players and the home supporters all berated him for his decision on the Stags penalty.

It brought to an end a thrilling and sometimes bizarre first 45 minutes of football with the game all level but the home side short-handed.

When Tafazolli and Geoghaghon failed to clear the ball between them in Telford's first post half-time raid, St Aimie miscued a low shot at Marriott to bring a routine save.

There was a break in play while Beevers was treated for a bang on the head in the home box.

Leslie's 25 yard free kick from a central position deflected off the wall for a corner which Rhead headed clear.

Jones brought down Stevenson from behind on 55 minutes and then kicked the ball away in anger when the kick was given to earn himself a booking.

Cox made a double change on 56 minutes as Howell and Meikle replaced Rhead and Stevenson, Howell joining Speight up front.

Marriott raced out bravely to gather a through ball before Jones could get there soon after.

Howell swapped passes with Beevers on the right before rifling a rising shot over from 20 yards in the visitors' first real threat of the half.

On 67 minutes Briscoe was sent on for Sutton with Beevers dropping back into defence to join Geohaghon and Daniel.

Salmon made a great header to cut out a dangerous far post Briscoe cross as the winger almost made a telling first contribution.

Then a Meikle cross was deflected into the near sidenetting with the away fans behind the goal believing it had gone in.

At last the visitors began to show they had the extra man and Young was behind a bundled Clements shot.

But Marriott still had to be alert to cut out a low Jones cross.

Murray had a great chance to win it for Stags with nine minutes to go as Briscoe did well to get to the by-line and send in a low cross which Murray reached but failed to get hold of properly and couldn't turn on target.

In a rare home raid, Leslie curled a hopeful effort over the far angle from 25 yards.

Rose did well to prevent Howell getting a shot away as he forced space for himself in the box and soon after Howell again threatened as he cut in from the right and fired just over from 18 yards.

Three minutes were added on during which Young pushed away a long Geohaghon throw and Clements screwed a shot wide from 20 yards and also forced Young to gather another shot from the same range as time ran out on the visitors' search for a winner.

AFC TELFORD: Young, Salmon, Davies, Trainer, Jones (Rooney 74), St Aimie (Byfield 90+2), Spray (Brown 42), Leslie, Taylor, Rose, Chilvers. Subs not used: Roberts, Collister.

STAGS: Marriott; Sutton (Briscoe 67), Geohaghon, Tafazolli; Beevers, Murray, Clements, Daniel; Stevenson (Meikle 56); Rhead (Howell 56), Speight. Subs not used:Thompson, Jones.

REFEREE: Brett Huxtable of North Devon.


GOALS: Telford – Tafazolli OG 15, Davies 34. Stags – Beevers 12, Speight (pen) 39.

CAUTION: Telford – Jones 55.

DISMISSAL: Telford – Chilvers 38.

STAGS MAN OF THE MATCH: Exodus Geohaghon


Stags fail to make it count against ten-man Telford
Nottingham Post report by freelance

IT was an entertaining, all-action encounter. An own goal, a red card, four goals in the first half and in the end, after ten league games, a first draw for the Stags.


But instead of being left to draw the positives as they left AFC Telford following a 2-2 draw, Mansfield Town boss Paul Cox was left to rue what might have been.

When Liam Chilvers was sent off for fouling Jake Speight in the area in the first half, it looked all to play for as Speight dusted himself down to make it 2-2 from the spot for his fifth goal of the campaign.

But the Stags failed to capitalise on the extra man and Cox bemoaned the lack of bravery his side displayed.

Mansfield took the lead when Lee Stevenson played the ball out towards Beevers on the right-flank on 11 minutes with a quickly taken free-kick, after striker Matt Rhead had been fouled by Jordan Rose midway inside the Bucks' half.

After taking a touch, Beevers looked up and delivered a fine cross towards the back-post, which inadvertently found the net, via the woodwork.

However, the lead didn't last long as St Aimee helped force an equaliser.

James Spray whipped a low cross towards the near-post from the left and with St Aimee lurking dangerously on the shoulder of Tafazolli, the Stags centre-back swung a leg at the ball and inadvertently turned it beyond the desperate dive of Alan Marriott.

Speight angled a shot wide of the target from the cusp of the six-yard box on 28 minutes after a good cross from Junior Daniel, prior to Steve Jones scuffing an effort straight into the arms of Marriott as Telford enjoyed an opportunity of their own at the other end on the half-hour mark.

The Bucks, who played some lovely one-touch passing football throughout the game, then went ahead on 34 minutes.

St Aimee peeled away from his marker on the right flank and played a simple low pass into the path of Davies.

He took a touch to set his body, before he arrowed a low shot through the legs of Ritchie Sutton and into the bottom right-hand corner.

However, Telford's delight soon turned to despair as they were hit with a double sucker-punch.

Chilvers pulled Speight to the floor inside the area, a result of which saw a penalty awarded to Mansfield and the Bucks full-back receive a straight red card.

Subsequent protests of innocence led to a long delay before the resulting spot-kick was taken, but when it was, Speight retained his composure and coolly slotted into the bottom left-hand corner, with Ryan Young diving in the opposite direction.

Despite a numerical advantage in players, Mansfield would have fallen behind for a second time prior to the interval had it not been for a superb piece of goalkeeping from Marriott.

The Stags shot-stopper expertly re-adjusted his body in order to parry a powerful 20-yard shot from Leslie, which had caught a wicked deflection, before then denying Jones in equally superb fashion, with the subsequent rebound.

St Aimee scuffed a tame effort straight at Marriott in one attack early in the second half.

Stags boss Paul Cox made a double substitution close to the hour-mark, as Anthony Howell and Lindon Meikle replaced Matt Rhead and Lee Stevenson respectively.

And both substitutes came close to finding the target within minutes of their introduction.

Then an unmarked Adam Murray came within inches of finding that winner on 77 minutes, when he almost connected to a low ball inside the six-yard box after some good work from Louis Briscoe, whilst Chris Clements and Anthony Howell also arrowed separate opportunities wide of the target as the game approached its conclusion.

AFC Telford: Young, Salmon, Davies, Trainer, Jones (Rooney 74), St Aimie (Byfield 90+2), Spray (Brown 42), Leslie, Taylor, Rose, Chilvers. Subs not used: Roberts, Collister.

Mansfield: Marriott; Sutton (Briscoe 67), Geohaghon, Tafazolli; Beevers, Murray, Clements, Daniel; Stevenson (Meikle 56); Rhead (Howell 56), Speight. Subs not used:Thompson, Jones.

Referee: Brett Huxtable (North Devon)

Attendance: 1,736


report from http://www.afctelfordunited.co.uk/s/match-report-4139.html?official=1&fixture_id=517702

Date: Saturday 22nd September 2012 - Kick Off: 15:00
AFC Telford United 2 vs 2 Mansfield Town
Blue Square Bet - Blue Square Premier
Attendance: 1794

AFC Telford United overcame playing with ten men for more than half the game to claim a point against Mansfield Town at the New Bucks Head, although Telford's performance probably merited more than just a draw.

Match Report by Steve Humbles

The Bucks picked an attack-minded 4-3-3 formation despite their continued injury problems and the hosts were straight on the offensive. Steve Leslie floated a shot just over on 2 minutes before Kieron St Aimie perhaps chose the wrong option when shooting straight at goalkeeper Alan Marriott instead of playing in Steve Jones who was bursting through the inside-right channel in acres of space on 7 minutes.

Telford were then dealt a hammer-blow when Mansfield took the lead against the run of play on 12 minutes. The Bucks fell asleep as the visitors took a free-kick quickly, and after play was spread to Lee Beevers on the right, he was somewhat fortunate to see his floated cross strike the inside of the back-post and rebound into the net.

Telford didn't let the shock of conceding knock them out of their stride, however, and Kieron St Aimie's header from Jones' cross was saved by Marriott before Telford did pull level on the quarter hour (pictured). The Bucks broke quickly and Jamie Spray's excellent cross from the left was diverted past his own goalkeeper by Ryan Tafazolli under pressure from St Aimie.

Telford were dominant, their passing and movement causing their much-fancied opponents all manner of problems. Jones in particular was giving the Stags' defence the run-around and it would have been fitting if he had found the net with a left-foot shot on 32 minutes, finishing off a move he had started. However Marriott got down low to save.

The Bucks were deservedly in front on 34 minutes and it was a superbly-worked goal too. St Aimie burst down the right and pulled back an inch-perfect cross for the onrushing Richard Davies who calmly side-footed into the net off the inside of the post.

That was no more than Telford deserved for an enterprising first-half display, full of effort and quality, but frustratingly the match turned away from them again on 38 minutes as Liam Chilvers was controversially deemed to have tugged Jake Speight's shirt as threatened to spin towards goal. The referee was initially unmoved but the linesman on the East Terrace awarded the decision.

Chilvers was consequently shown a red card for a professional foul by referee Huxtable, further adding to the Bucks' defensive woes. With three other central defenders still unavailable due to injury and suspension Will Salmon was forced to tuck inside to cover at centre-half, and to add insult to injury Speight got up to send Young the wrong way from the spot and level the scores.

Even then, however, it was still Telford who were pouring forward with intent and the Bucks will have been wondering how they were not in front at half-time. Steve Leslie's deflected drive on the stroke of the interval looked set for the net only for the wrong-footed Marriott to pull off a wonderful save, and as the ball broke to Jones the goalkeeper recovered to make another superb block at point-blank range.

Despite their numerical disadvantage, Telford started the second-half strongly too and St Aimie might have done better when he found himself in space inside the penalty area, only for the striker's weak left-footer to draw a comfortable save from Marriott.

However, Mansfield's eleven men started to do more attacking as the half wore on with substitute Anthony Howell particularly lively. He shot just over the crossbar after a neat one-two with Beevers, although Telford responded in an increasingly end-to-end encounter when St Aimie just failed to get on the end of Jones' left-wing cross after more good play from the ex-Crewe man.

The Stags certainly bossed the last ten minutes as Telford legs tired, with Adam Murray's shot blocked by Salmon and Howell cutting inside to shoot just over on 89 minutes. Defeat would have been a travesty for the Bucks though after a hugely impressive performance.

Bucks' Line-up:
1. Ryan Young, 2. Will Salmon, 6. Richard Davies, 8. Phil Trainer (c), 10. Steve Jones, 16. Kieron St Aimie, 17.James Spray, 18. Steven Leslie, 19. Kris Taylor, 22. Jordan Rose, 27. Liam Chilvers.
Substitutes: 7. Nathan Rooney (for Jones, 74 minutes), 21. Jon Brown (for Spray, 41 minutes), 24. Tom Roberts, 25. Joe Collister (GK), 26. Darren Byfield (for St Aimie, 90 minutes).

Mansfield Town:
1. Alan Marriott, 2. Ritchie Sutton, 8. Jake Speight, 14. Chris Clements, 16. Matt Rhead, 17. Lee Beevers, 21. Adam Murray, 26. Lee Stevenson, 31. Colin Daniel, 32. Ryan Tafazolli, 33. Exodus Geohaghon.
Substitutes: 3. John Thompson, 5. Luke Jones, 7. Lindon Meikle (for Stevenson, 57 minutes), 11. Louis Briscoe (for Sutton, 67 minutes), 13. Anthony Howell (for Rhead, 57 minutes).

Referee: Mr Brett Huxtable (Torrington, Devon).

Attendance: 1,736



Latest | September 2012