{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from September 2012

7th September 2012 14:24

Blue Square Bet Premier
Mansfield Town 2 - 0 Tamworth
Green (pen) 45+2, Jones 62.
Attendance: 2105 (122 from Tamworth)

Date: 4 September 2012

Martin Shaw at the One Call Stadium

Mansfield Town are now really starting to look like the force they were last season, and a penalty on the stroke of half time, won and converted by Matt Green, and then a towering Luke Jones header from a wonderful Exodus Geohaghon cross in the second half, were enough to see off Tamworth. The first 45 minutes from the Stags was not particularly convincing, though Howell, Rhead and Meikle all had chances to put the home side in front. Then on 45+2 minutes, Matt Green did well to force his way into the penalty area under pressure from 3 defenders, and the back of Green's heel was clipped by Duane Courtney. The referee Sebastian Stocksbridge was perfectly positioned and immediately pointed to the spot. Green confidently dispatched the penalty into the bottom left corner. At half time, I had a look at the incident on the match DVD and was aware of someone looking over my shoulder keen to see the incident. He was the referee's assessor! We studied it, and he asked if we could study it again after the final whistle with his colleague from the FA, which we did. In the end we concluded that Duane Courtney did indeed clip Green's heel and it was the correct decision. The Stags started the second half confidently, and Meikle, Rhead and Briscoe all had chances to extend the lead. The crucial second goal came on 62 minutes. An Exodus Geohaghon long throw from the left, was cleared back to Geohaghon, who chipped a fabulous cross, left-footed back into the middle, and Luke Jones rose highest to head into the net from 3 yards. After that the Stags continued to play some good stuff. Tamworth knocked the ball around all game in their own half really nicely, but when in the Stags half their final ball was consistently very poor. So a comfortable win. Exodus Geohaghon was an absolute colossus, superb at the back, and with the some missile long throws. His cross for the second goal was superb. Plenty of other impressive performances too, and it is starting to come together now for the Stags. The introduction of Geohaghon and captain fantastic Adam Murray has brought a confidence to the entire team.

Man of the Match: Exodus Geohaghon

Stagsnet player ratings in the Match Centre


Stags record comfortable win
mansfieldtown.net report by Andrew Webb

Goals from Matt Green and Luke Jones earned Mansfield Town a comfortable win over mid-table Tamworth at One Call Stadium.


The Stags went ahead on the stroke of half-time when Green fired home from the penalty spot after being fouled in the area by Scott Barrow.

Defender Jones then doubled the advantage on 62 minutes as he headed home a superb cross from Exodus Geohaghon.

With this victory, Paul Cox's side have moved up five places in the Blue Square Bet Premier table and are now within two points of fifth-placed Wrexham.

On what was a cool September evening at One Call Stadium, Tamworth created the first opportunity of the game after only three minutes when Alan Marriott smothered a close range shot from Sean Jeffers after Ritchie Sutton had misjudged a low ball down the right flank.

The Lambs enjoyed another shooting opportunity moments later when Barrow curled a free-kick over the woodwork after captain Adam Murray had felled Charlie Collins on the edge of the area.

Tamworth continued to create the better openings in the early exchanges, but nevertheless it was Mansfield who won the first corner after 15 minutes when Tom Marshall headed a dangerous Junior Daniel cross out of play.

From the resulting corner, Murray delivered a back-post cross towards Matt Rhead, who flicked the ball towards midfielder Anthony Howell located in a central position inside the box. Howell hammered a shot towards goal, which was blocked by a defender, before Lloyd Kerry cleared the danger.

Lindon Meikle fired a free-kick high over the crossbar and Green collected a yellow card for a foul on Lambs shot-stopper Tony Breeden as the game developed into a gritty midfielder encounter, with neither side being able to dominate.

Tamworth then came close to an opener on the half-hour mark.

Marriott was quick from his line to ensure that Collins would be unable to connect with a low right-wing cross from Jeffers, but his clearance was met by Kerry lurking dangerously on the cusp of the box, who dipped the follow-up attempt onto the roof of goal.

Meikle fired over from close range on 37 minutes, moments before Green fired a low right-footed shot wide of the target as the Stags finished the first half on top.

As the game looked to be meandering towards being goalless at the interval, Mansfield went ahead from the penalty spot two minutes into additional time.

Rhead picked up possession deep on the left channel and close to the halfway line, after a clearance from Geohaghon. The bustling front man then threaded an intricate ball through towards strike-partner Green, who twisted and turned exquisitely and worked his way into the penalty area.

In a crowded box, the Stags talisman drew a clumsy challenge from defender Scott Barrow and referee Seb Stockbridge showed no hesitancy as he pointed to the spot.

Green remained calm and composed as he stepped up and fired the resulting spot-kick hard into the bottom right corner, beyond the reach of Breeden.

With the One Call Stadium crowd now in full voice, Rhead headed a long throw from Geohaghon wide of the target eight minutes after the re-start.

Mansfield continued to press forward at regular intervals as they searched to extend their advantage and again came close to an important second goal on 57 minutes.

A Geohaghon long throw caused pandemonium inside the Tamworth six-yard box and with Lambs 'keeper Breeden flapping at thin air, Louis Briscoe saw a powerful shot bravely deflected wide of the post by Marshall.

Less than 60 seconds later, Tamworth launched a swift counter-attack and could have claimed what would have been a highly undeserved equaliser had someone connected to a low ball that George Baldock flashed through the Stags six-yard box.

Nevertheless, Mansfield soon doubled their lead.

Geohaghon delivered one of his trademark long throws towards the near-post, but received possession of the ball again after Tait temporarily cleared the danger.

However, the centre-back then floated a delightful ball high into the six-yard box with his left foot and defensive partner Jones rose highest to powerfully guide the ball beyond a flapping Lambs shot-stopper and into an empty.

After doubling their advantage, Mansfield continued to dictate proceedings and were rarely troubled by their opponents from Staffordshire.

The Lambs continued to struggle in their quest to deal with long throws from Geohaghon, though, somewhat surprisingly, clear-cut chances were at a premium as the game meandered towards its conclusion.

Tamworth came close to claiming a consolation goal, and creating what would have been a grandstand finale, in the penultimate minute of normal time.

Jeffers delivered a fine cross into the area from deep on the right flank, which Marriott was only able to palm straight into the path of Barrow. Having both time and space in abundance, and despite a large target to aim at, the Lambs full-back panicked and fired a harmless shot well wide of goal.

The Stags then saw out three minutes of stoppage time in comfortable fashion to record their third consecutive home win and move to within two points of the Blue Square Bet Premier play-offs places.

Attendance: 2,105 (122 away supporters).


Mansfield Town 2-0 Tamworth, Tuesday 4th September By John Lomas
chad.co.uk report

MANSFIELD Town's season finally looks to be up and running as they made it six points frfom two homes in four days with a fine 2-0 win over Tamworth.


The Lambs have started the campaign well and caused problems on the break in a tight first half.

But Stags had the better of the chances and finally went ahead through a Matt Green penalty in first half stoppage time.

Mansfield settled down to play some decent football after the break and doubled their advantage when Luke Jones headed home a throw from the impeccable Exodus Geohaghon on 62 minutes to clinch the points.

As welcome as the two goals was a clean sheet for Paul Cox's men.

Breeden had to race out his box to stop Green reaching a long ball forward by Briscoe.

The Lambs then survived the first two long Geohaghon throws before a raid of their own in which, thanks to a slip in the box by Sutton, Jeffers was given a great shooting chance which Marriott was in the way of.

Green's first shooting chance, carved out by the muscle of Rhead, was halted by an offside flag.

On seven minutes Barrow curled a free kick over the bar from a promising position just outside the box.

A great cross by Howell forced the home side's first corner on 15 minutes from which Howell saw a 15-yard shot charged down by Gudger.

The attentions of Jones were enough to prevent Cunnington getting any power behind a shot which proved easy for Marriott.

Kerry was booked for a foul on Meikle on 18 minutes, but Murray over-hit the ball well wide of the far post.

Kerry tried to send Collins clear with a great through ball down the centre only to see Jones slide in with a saving tackle.

Green's name went into the book too on 23 minutes after he slid in late on Breeden as he was clearing the ball, the keeper staying down and needing treatment.

On 25 minutes the first big chance presented itself to Green as Briscoe curled the ball in off the outside of his boot from the right and Green, six yards from goal, failed to keep the header down.

Two more chances quickly arrived as a poor clearance from Barrow gifted Rhead a first time shot which he sliced badly, then the ball was put back in by Briscoe and Green, in trying to steer, his header wide of the keeper, didn't get enough on it and saw Breeden make the save.

Tamworth then broke well down the right and Jeffers' low cross was cut out by the outstretched leg of Marriott who was then relieved as, out of position he saw Kerry curl his follow-up over the bar.

On 35 minutes Green had another chance from a Rhead flick but elected not to take what looked a good first time shooting chance and eventually had to settle for a corner.

A minute later Rhead got his head to a long free kick from the right which was worked to Meikle who blazed over from 20 yards.

Stags turned defence into attack on 42 minutes as Jones sent a long ball to Rhead on the right who quickly fired a low shot across the face of goal.

Murray was booked for knocking the ball away at a Tamworth free kick which saw Barrow head Kerry's kick wide and then be given a corner by a very generous refereeing decision.

Only three minutes of time were added on, despite some Tamworth time-wasting in the half. But in the last of those minutes, the Stags took the lead at last.

Rhead's flick from just inside the Lambs' half set Green on his way into the box where his twisting and turning proved too much for the visitors and he was brought down by Courtney.

Both Courtney and the protesting Barrow were booked before Green stepped up to dispatch a firm low kick just inside the left post.

Murray was left limping after a foul by Cunnington as we entered a sixth minute of stoppage time.
Stags again quickly turned defence into attack as a long ball up to Gtreen was helped on to Rhead who lifted the ball over a defender to get goalside and into the box before slicing a half-volley wide.

Marriott was twice there to gather as Tamworth launched two crosses into the box.

Rhead headed wide from a Geohaghon throw., then Green was again thwarted by an offside flag as Mansfield looked for a second goal.

From another long throw both Murray and Briscoe had shots charged down.

But Tamworth were still dangerous on the break and, when Barrow sent Baldock towards the by-line, his low cross passed right in front of goal with no one able to get the touch.

Yet another Geohaghon throw came in on 62 minutes which was cleared back to his feet.

And, from his superb cross from the left, Stags went further ahead as Jones rose five yards from goal to power home a header straight down the centre.

A long throw somehow eluded everyone in the box and took a deflection for a home corner.

A Geohaghon header went straight to Jeffers, but his hopes of getting a shot away were halted by some sterling defending by Sutton.

Stags were now playing some of their best football of the season so far and Briscoe's trickery won another corner.

Rhead's flick almost put Green in again, his outstretched leg just unable to reach the ball.

Kerry tested Marriott from 20 yards with a firm shot that the keeper saw all the way.

Roberts took over from Briscoe for the final five minutes.

Marriott had to turn away a Jeffers effort in stoppage time and was happy to see Barrow screw his low follow-up well wide to sum up Tamworth's night


Belief flows back into Stags as Tamworth are beaten 2-0
Nottingham Post report by Stevie Roden

ONCE again, it was far from perfect.

But the fact is Matt Green's penalty in first-half stoppage time and Luke Jones' 62nd-minute header sealed a 2-0 victory for Mansfield Town last night against Tamworth.


And by the end of the game, especially in the last half hour, you could see the belief and confidence sweeping back through the Stags as they put the visitors on the back foot.

It makes it three wins from four on home soil, a fourth victory from seven overall and 12 points on the board.

So while Stags are still finding their feet this season, far from the well-oiled side that ended the last campaign so strongly, they are grinding out the wins.

More importantly, they have stopped leaking goals, securing a second clean sheet of the campaign last night, now only conceding once in their last two matches.

It is certainly heading in the right direction and by the final whistle, there was plenty of reason to be encouraged and confident ahead of the trip to Ebbsfleet this Saturday.

Boss Paul Cox named an unchanged starting 11 from the one that beat Woking at the weekend, the only difference being Gary Roberts on the bench instead of Lee Stevenson, after returning from a one-match ban.

Alan Marriott had to come to Mansfield's rescue early on when Ritchie Sutton sliced the ball on the edge of his own box, putting Sean Jeffers in on goal down the right. The Stags stopper reacted quickly, diving at his feet to block the angled drive.

After a slow opening from the Stags, Colin Daniel played a ball into Anthony Howell's feet down the left flank. He cleverly turned his man before whipping in a thunderous low ball that was turned behind for a corner, from which the ball was knocked down by Matt Rhead to Howell, but the midfielder's shot was bravely charged down by Connor Gudger.

Stags then had a chance with a free kick from the left of the box, after Lindon Meikle was chopped down by Lloyd Kerry, who was booked. But skipper Adam Murray wasted it by blazing high over the bar, to the frustration of his team-mates and the home crowd.

And the first flickers of frustration from the stands started to seep through as the game hit the 20-minute mark, with Mansfield still to find any real fluency to their game.

However, the home support were willing their side forward at every opportunity, it was just the final ball was either being misplaced or cut out.

The breakthrough could have come as Louis Briscoe weaved his way down the right of the box before producing a deft rising pass to the near post for Green, six yards out, but he should have done better with his header, taking his time only to put his effort off target.

It was the first of three chances in quick succession, as a half clearance fell to Matt Rhead at the back post but he shanked his effort into the floor before a diagonal ball into the box picked out Green in a central position and although he hit the target, it was too close to Tony Breeden.

What it did do was to get the crowd pumped up but at the other end, that was almost extinguished as Marriott tried to kick clear from his six-yard box, only to Lloyd Kerry on the edge of the box. After cutting inside, he used the outside of his right foot to shoot as he looked to catch the goalkeeper out but it went inches over.

With just three minutes remaining in the first half, Luke Jones' long ball forward found Rhead in the right channel, clear of his man, and he worked his way inside the box and from a wide area pulled a low shot across goal but it was wide of the far post.

But in first-half stoppage time, the breakthrough arrived for Mansfield. Rhead tapped a ball to release Green and he ran at the Tamworth defence, turned back on himself inside the box and was clipped by Duane Courtney. And from the penalty spot, Green made no mistake, firing into the bottom corner for his fourth goal of the campaign.

The second half started brightly as Murray hooked the ball over the top, Rhead got the better of the bounce to break free of Courtney but as the ball dropped down the right of the area, the big frontman snatched at his shot and it rose high into the Quarry Lane stand.

A giant throw-in from Exodus Geohaghon caused problems for Tamworth, and as it spilled to Briscoe he produced a superb turn to give himself space to shoot, only for his shot to be blocked and out for a corner.

But again Geohaghon caused havoc with a throw from the left and when it came back out to him, he delivered a cross and defender Jones powered home the header in the 62nd minute.

That killed off the Lambs, as the lively Briscoe continued to threaten and then Green almost turned in a cross as he leaped into the six-yard box with his outstretched leg, just unable to find the connection.

At the other end, Mansfield were staying resolute, strong at the back. It was far better than the first half and when Kerry did get a stinging shot away with ten minutes remaining, Marriott was equal to it.

Roberts came on to replace Briscoe and then Green sprinted his way beyond the last man down the right of the box but after turning back onto his right foot, looked to feed Rhead who was racing in to the edge of box but his pass lacked the desired power and fell short of his strike partner.

It was to be Green's last action, as he was replaced by Jake Speight in added time.

Mansfield: Marriott, Sutton, Daniel, Jones, Geohaghon, Briscoe (Roberts, 85), Howell, Murray, Meikle (Clements, 90+3), Green, Rhead (Speight, 90+1 mins). Subs: Thompson, Wright.

Tamworth: Breeden, Tait, Baldock (Girvan, 88), Marshall (Iver-Ward, 63), Kerry, Courtney, Gudger, Barrow, Collins (Llado, 71), Jeffers, Cunnington. Subs: Wren, Meer.

Referee: Sebastian Stockbridge (Tyne and Wear)

Attendance: 2,105 (122 visitors)


One in each half condemns Lambs
FT: Mansfield Town 2 - 0 Tamworth

The Lambs travelled to Field Mill home of The Stags of Mansfield, via a training session at Heather St. Johns, for their next league fixture hoping to put an end to the two game run of defeats. Marcus Law was able to select MK loanee George Baldock for the fixture and made three changes to the side that fell by the odd goal in three at Braintree at the weekend.

Paul Cox's Town side, one point behind Tamworth, came into the game having won three and lost three of their opening six encounters, but, unlike the Lambs, reporting a virtually fully fit squad to choose from for the tie. And on the bench, a former Lambs favourite Nick Wright took a place.

The home side got the match underway on what looked to be a very good playing surface (from a distance!), with Tamworth kicking away from the 'Stags' stand for the first half.
And inside the first minute Breeden had to leave his area to clear a long ball down the centre looking for the run of Green and then the keeper had to punch a long throw.
The ball made it's way up field and Sutton let in Jeffers in the right of the box following a poor backpass but Marrioot was quick out to prevent the deft chip going goalward.
Green was caught offside with The Lambs defence static on 5 but play quickly switched and Collins was felled as he tried to advance into the box down the right channel but Barrow curled his freekick over the corner of bar and post.
A couple of niggly freekicks went The Lambs way around the 10 minute mark as both sides worked hard to pass the ball around but found it difficult to get into the final third of the field.
Briscoe made a strong run to the right wing on 13 but his low ball into the box was straight at Breeden and on 15 Howell's cross from the left had to be headed behind by Marshall, diving full length to get the ball away. From the corner Howell's shot was blocked but he remained persistent and made the Lambs defence work to clear the danger.
Kerry was penalised for a tackle on Meikle on the left of the box on 18 with a yellow card but Murray's deadball left a lot to be desired and flew high and wide past the far post by some distance.
When Green chased down Breeden for the ball on 23 the keeper was left clutching his ankle and the Mansfield player duly received a booking for his efforts, much to the annoyance of the travelling faithful who were politely requesting a red card! Breeden received his treatment and continued play, but the ball wound its way back to his opposite number.
Mansfield then enjoyed a spell of possession and on 27 Green got forward for a header from a chip into the box which Breeden took easily.
Marshall released Jeffers down the right on 29 and he put the ball into the box only to see Marriott clear with his legs, but Kerry received the ball and tried to curl a shot over the keeper but cleared the target by a few feet as well.
On 35 there were calls for Green to be offside but no flag came and The Lambs were forced to put the ball behind for a corner on the right which Collins slid to clear. The ball worked it's way back in from the right and Meikle lashed a shot in to the 'away end' from 18 yards out and Cunnington took a knock in the process.
A low ball through from midfield allowed Rhead a shot across the box from the right on 42 but it went a yard wide of the left hand post and Breeden was happy to watch it out of play.
Murray was booked for punching the ball away before a Lambs freekick on 44 which Kerry floated into the box and Courtney headed behind, but the referee awarded a corner on the left to the bemusement of the home fans as the towering frame of Geohagan headed the danger clear to the half way line.
Three minutes added time was shown at the end of the half and a penalty was awarded against a clumsy intervention and Tait was also booked when Rhead and Green combined to get into the box allowing Green to step up to the spot. He blasted his kick into the bottom left corner to give the home side the lead.
From the restart, Murray was left requiring treatment following a clash with Cunnington inside the Stags half and the half time whistle blew shortly after. (0-1, 45 mins)

HT: Mansfield Town 1 - 0 Tamworth

The Lambs restarted the game with the and Breeden got an early touch when the ball was forced down field.
Baldock provided some trickery on the right of the box on 48 but his ball was too high for Jeffers at thee far post and Mansfield broke and Rhead skied his shot, under pressure from Courtney.
A quickly taken freekick from Kerry sent Cunnington on a run into the box and a corner was won on the right on 50, and the chance went quickly, but Jeffers won possession back and forced Marriott into a save at his near post.
Marshall then headed a Murray cross from the left away to the far side which Geohagan launched into the box and Rhead headed wide of the near post from 12 yards.
It was all hands to the pumps from a Mansfield attack on 57 which resulted in a corner on the right as The Lambs were forced to throw everything in the way, although they broke quickly and Baldock's cross box ball invited a finishing touch but no one was able to get close enough to divert it past Marriott.
The pictch side towel came into use again on 61 when Geohagan unleashed another long throw and although it was half cleared, The Lambs conceded again, this time via a close range header from Jones when the ball came back in (0-2, 63 mins)
Marcus Law made a change before his side kicked off again and The Lambs continued to try and forge a chance. On 66 Barrow retook a left sided freekick after the referee separated a tussle in the area but it came to nothing when the offside flag rose.
Another throw from Geohagan from the right wing skidded through the box on 67 for a corner on the left which was halted when the referee spotted a push.
on 70, Briscoe beat Barrow but his ball in was put behind for another right sided corner which was halted again for a push in the build up and the Lambs made their second change with Llado coming on and he immediately tried but failed to take on Geohagan who towered over the Spaniard!
The announcement of the attendance sparked the 122 Lambs into song hopeful that the final 15 or so minutes would see their side get something from the tie.
Everyone knew what was coming when Geohagan picked up the throw midway into thee Lambs half on 77 as the seat/ drums pounded a rhythm but Courtney was first to it and Tamworth were able to push up field and Cunnington won a corner on the right.
Marriott's goal had not really been tested too much and so The Lambs tried a long range effort on 80 which he took easily.
A corner was forthcoming from a Jeffers cross from the right on 84 which Barrow drilled in but Gudger's pass went awry and the chance was gone.
Baldock then picked up a booking for unsporting conduct, throwing the ball away before Geohagan could take his throw and it won the home side a left sided flag kick which Murray saw bounce out of the area for Baldock to push upfield but it ran out of play and Marriot was able to restart with a goal kick.
It was not turning out to be a great night for final balls into the box for The Lambs and another good position came to nothing as Girvan came on for his debut with just a couple of minutes remaining.
And as if to sum up the evening when Jeffers shot was parried away to Barrow on 90, the Welshman dragged the ball wide of the far post with a left footed low drive.
Three minutes added time was shown and a couple of changes were made but the home side as time ran down and out for The Lambs.

Tamworth Team:
Tony BREEDEN (GK), Richard TAIT (c), George BALDOCK (Michael GIRVAN 88), Tom MARSHALL (Jorden IVEY-WARD 63), Adam CUNNINGTON, Lloyd KERRY, Shaun JEFFERS, Connor GUDGER, Duane COURTNEY, Scott BARROW, Charlie COLLINS (Jan LLADO 71)
Subs: James WREN, Scott MEER

Mansfield Town Team:
Alan MARRIOTT, Ritchie SUTTON, Luke JONES, Lindon MEIKLE (Chris CLEMENTS 90), Matt GREEN, Louis BRISCOE (Gary ROBERTS 85), Anthony HOWELL, Matt RHEAD (Jake SPEIGHT 90), Adam MURRAY (c), Colin DANIEL, Exodus GEOHAGAN

Attendance: 2105

Referee: Mr. S. Stockbridge


Tamworth struggle with mounting injury woes
Tamworth Herald

THE history books will always say that Tamworth lost 2-0 away at Mansfield on Tuesday night, writes Chris Philpotts.

They will also record that this was the third defeat on the spin for the Lambs.

What those looking back on these scores in black and white in years to come will fail to see is the circumstances that surrounded these defeats.

Against Wrexham, three games ago, Tamworth lost for the first time this season, but only fell to defeat after going down to ten men.

Against Braintree on Saturday it was a different story but, much like Mansfield on Tuesday night, it was a game that Tamworth were forced to play with more than half a team sitting in the stands.

Tommy Wright, Marcus Kelly, Sam Oji, Lee Hendrie, Peter Till and JP Marna were all absent for one reason or another against the Stags – and with Tom Marshall forced to go off injured in the second half it is an injury list that only looks like getting bigger.

For a team like Tamworth, that is a big hurdle to overcome and one, on current form, they are struggling to cope with.

For the opening 20 minutes against Mansfield that did not look to be the case, though, as a new-look Lambs side played the ball round well and dominated the possession statistics.

Turning time with the ball into goal-scoring chances was proving a challenge during that opening spell as apart from a sliding Adam Cunnington chance Mansfield keeper Andy Marriott had very little to do.

In fact the only real save of note either keeper had to make in the first half was when Marriott came out sharply to deny Shaun Jeffers a fine goal after the young striker tried to chip the advancing Stags stopper.

That all changed, though, just before the break as Mansfield took the lead in stoppage time.

Some fine interplay from Matt Green and Matt Rhead led to the former being brought down in the box by a clumsy-looking challenge from Richard Tait.

Green brushed himself down and got back up to slam home the spot-kick and all but end Tamworth's hopes of taking anything from this game.

That is because after the restart the Lambs looked out for the count and unable to muster any attacking threat.

Mansfield began to dominate proceedings and it was no surprise that they stretched their lead in the 63rd minute.

Exodus Geohagan had been a threat all night with his long throws, but it was from his cross that Luke Jones managed to rise the highest to head home his side's second of the night.

With injuries depleting him of much of his options in reserve, Law was unable to ring the changes to refresh his side's attacking threat late on – so it was no surprise when the scoreline was not threatened again before the end of the match.

Tamworth will be hoping to get players back fit and ready – and soon – to stop this trickle of defeats from gathering momentum.

Tamworth: Breeden,Tait, Baldock (Girvan 88), Marshall (Ivey-Ward 63),Cunnington, Kerry, Jeffers, Gudger, Courtney, Barrow, Collins (Llado 71). Subs not used: Wren, Meer

Mansfield Town: Marriott, Sutton, Jones, Meikle (Clements 90), Green, Briscoe (Roberts 85), Howell, Rhead (Speight 90), Murray, Daniel, Geohagan. Subs not used: Thompson, Wright

Attendance: 2105

Herald star man: Richard Tait



Latest | September 2012