{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from August 2012

6th August 2012 11:00

1 Aug 2012

Rainworth Miners Welfare 3-0 Stags youth and young professionals

Danny Bacon 15, Ryan Goward 52, Barry Payne 86.

Att 255


Young guns beaten by Wrens
Youth correspondent Craig Priest reports from Kirklington Road for mansfieldtown.net

Mark Hemingray's Youth Team suffered their first defeat of pre-season last evening as they were beaten by a strong Rainworth MW side 3-0 at Kirklington Road. Hemingray's side included three familiar youth team faces, graduates Scott Rogers, Adam Somes and Jobe Shaw all got game time ahead of the new season along with some new faces including third year left back Abadu Barry and midfielders Curtis Turner and Nuha Jabbi.

Up against a physical Rainworth MW side it was the Stags who came the closest in the opening exchanges as Jordan Vilums struck the post of five minute. Intricate play between youth team graduate Scott Rogers and new signing Nuha Jabbi saw the latter play Vilums down the left channel. The skilful midfielder, playing in a more advanced role, cut inside and saw his driven effort cannon back of the inside of the post before the Wrens defence scrambled to safety.


The hosts then tested the water with two corners in quick succession but failed to break the deadlock as new youth team captain Ben Horsley rose at the far post to head away former Stags youngster Ryan Goward's corner.

Mark Hemingray's side were facing up well to the Wrens seniority however were pegged back with 14 minutes gone as quick movement saw Alex Bolt with space on the left hand side. Bolt delivered the cross and the young Stags defence failed to pick up the run of another ex-Stag Danny Bacon who broke free to head home at the near post.

Hemingray's boys were dealt a further blow four minutes later as impressive midfielder Nuha Jabbi picked up a knock and had to be replaced by Jack Hawkins.

And it was the latter who was involved in the Stags next chance as he picked out Vilums on the left hand side. Villums then chipped a delightful ball into the box for Adam Somes to latch onto and the deadly front man was stopped at the last by a strong sliding challenge from the Lee Cooksey.

A Scott Rogers free kick had the hosts on the back foot with 34 minutes gone after the tough tackling midfielder was fouled to the right of the box. Vilums rose unmarked at the back post but was a whisker away from connecting.

Goalkeeper Ryan Hopkins was called into action with four minutes to go before the break as Callum Lloyd broke free past Jobe Shaw and skipper Horsley. Lloyd, another former Mansfield player, struck well but was denied by Hopkins who recovered to collect the follow up cross, ensuring it was only a one goal lead the Wrens held at the break.

It was the hosts who started the second period the brighter but Ryan Hopkins was again on form to keep out Jared Holmes' effort from the edge of the box - the first of three Rainworth corners which failed to trouble. At the other end, Jobe Shaw blazed over on the volley from the edge of the box following a Liam Marsden cross.

Despite Mansfield showing more pace as the second half progressed, it was sloppy defensive play which saw the hosts grab a second on 52 minutes. Danny Bacon played a crisp pass to the right of the box for Alex Bolt who beat Hopkins to the ball and rolled across the face of an inviting net with Ryan Goward on hand to tap in from four yards.

Ten minutes later the Stags came close to reducing the deficit as new recruit Curtis Turner gained ground and curled wide from the edge of the area,

Turner again tested the water from a free kick from the same spot as he was upended on 81 minutes. Substitute Joe Flint also saw an effort curl wide as opportunities for a comeback opened up; however the more senior Wrens soon put the game beyond doubt in empathic fashion with five remaining. A long throw from the right hand side caused havoc and wasn't dealt with and a weak headed clearance saw the ball sit up nicely for Wrens substitute Barry Payne who smashed into the bottom corner from 20 yards.

Attendance: 255

Referee: Sean Richardson

Stags: Ryan Hopkins, Liam Marsden, Ben Horsley (C), Jobe Shaw, Abadu Barry, Curtis Turner, Scott Rogers (Dean Robinson), Nuha Jabbi (Jack Hawkins), Matt Harris (Joe Flint), Adam Somes (Matty Jones), Jordan Vilums (Danny Barke)Subs Not Used: Remmi Davies, Callum Pursglove, Lewis Chambers, Blake Vincent.


Young Stags lose 3-0 at Rainworth
chad.co.uk report by Gordon Foster

MANSFIELD were reduced by injury and illness to send a youth side to Rainworth to fulfil what was expected to be a first team fixture, but the Stags youngsters gave a good account of themselves although losing 3-0 to the more experienced Wrens.


Despite the initial disappointment at the strength of the side Mansfield were able to send, several Stags fans still turned up to boost the crowd to 255, and they will have been pleased by what they saw.

Some of the passing and movement by the young visitors kept the hosts on their toes, but in the end Rainworth had just too much guile to succumb to the youthful exuberance of the fledgling Mansfield side.

The closest the Stags came to a goal was in the sixth minute when Nuha Jabbi's astute through pass sent livewire Jordan Vilums cutting in from the left to beat home keeper Joe McCormack all ends up from 20 yards, only to see his crisp drive come back off the foot of the post.

That, though, was as good as it got for the visitors in front of goal, and once Rainworth had grabbed a 15th minute lead they began to exercise a degree of authority.

The goal came from ex-Stag Danny Bacon, who was unable to buy a goal last season despite some impressive displays, but chose this match against his former club to break his duck for the Wrens.

Another ex-Stags youngster Ryan Goward doubled the Wrens' lead seven minutes into the second half, tapping home at close range following Kieran Walker's long throw in.

And any hope the plucky Stags had of a late recovery evaporated four minutes from time when, after another long throw, Barry Payne registered his first goal for Rainworth, lashing home in style.

Mansfield, whose numberless shirts made identification difficult, did create a few half-chances of their own, in particular Adam Somes, who spent a short spell on loan at Rainworth last season, just failed to control Vilums' neat chip over the defence just after the half-hour with only McCormack to beat.

MEN OF THE MATCH: Rainworth - Callum Lloyd; Stags - Jordan Vilums


Stags boss apologises to Wrens

MANSFIELD Town have apologised to neighbouring Evo-Stik NPL Division One South club Rainworth MW for sending a youth side to Kirklington Road at the last minute on Wednesday to fulfil what was billed as a first team fixture.


The Stags had hit a heavy injury and illness problem which caused them to cancel a friendly at Stourbridge altogether early in the week, but rather than also cancel the Rainworth game a young side was sent instead.

With media announcements through the day locally, the expected bumper attendance was cut to 255, which will have impacted severely on expected gate receipts.

But Stags boss Paul Cox found a sympathetic ally in Wrens boss Kevin Gee, who was in forgiving mood after watching his side record a comfortable 3-0 victory.

Speaking after the match, Gee insisted: “Irrespective of the strength of the squad which Mansfield sent, we prepared for a game and were given a game.

“You have to be respectful of the situation that Paul and Stags found themselves in, and be thankful that they brought a team here at all. A lot of clubs locally would like to play Mansfield Town and we have to be realistic and recognise our place in the pecking order within their pre-season opposition.

“At least we played in a match, and an entertaining one at that, and if we and our fans were frustrated when something was taken from our big day, Paul's frustration must be even greater as he sees his own pre-season preparations being undermined by being unable to fulfil first team matches.

“It was still a good work-out for us. Development squads are a massive part of clubs like Mansfield, and the players who came were representing their club, which they did with pride. We played against a good passing side but with the experience we have we were always going to be stronger.”

Looking back at the match from the Wrens' own point of view, Gee added: “We took a lot more positives out of it, but there are other aspects of our play still to be fine-tuned.

“It's a work in progress for us, but people are starting to see the way we will play this season. In certain areas we were excellent, and in others we saw scope for improvement. Scoring three goals and keeping a clean sheet is a recipe for winning matches, although our passing was a little sloppy early on.

“But the big difference between now and last season is that we are going into games expecting to win and believing we can win, whereas last season it was a case of hoping something would happen for us, which thankfully it did often enough to keep us in the division.”

The Wrens entertain Premier Division Stocksbridge Park Steels on Saturday, visit Central Midlands outfit Sutton Town on Tuesday night, and wrap up their friendlies on Saturday week at home to another Premier side, Matlock Town, where Gee spent much of his playing career



Latest | August 2012