{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from March 2012

6th March 2012 11:36

Blue Square Bet Premier
Mansfield Town 2 -1 Lincoln City
Dyer 47, Roberts 58. Thompson 90+3
Att: 4830 (627 from Lincoln)

Date: 3 March 2012

Martin Shaw and Simon Chamberlain at Field Mill

Mansfield Town celebrated the news of the purchase of Field Mill by chairman John Radford from Keith Haslam, by beating Lincoln City for a fifth consecutive home victory. In front nearly 5000 fans, there were celebrations before the game as the directors introduced John Radford to the crowd. The first half was a little flat with few clearcut opportunities apart from Matt Green with a missed header from an O'Neill free kick. But the Stags were in front two minutes into the second half with a close range finish by Ross Dyer from a clever ball forward by Luke O'Neil. A low strike from Gary Roberts from 25 yards made it 2-0 on 58 minutes, and the Stags looked very comfortable until Lincoln scored a consolation through a deflected Tyrone Thompson shot three minutes into stoppage time. It was an unhappy return to Field Mill for Lincoln manager David Holdsworth, whose side looked very poor and could yet be relegation candidates.

The five consecutive home wins equals the run of 5 home wins at the start of our first season in the Blue Square Premier, under Billy McEwan in Aug-Sep 2008. The crowd of 4,830 was the biggest at Field Mill since the Gateshead pay-what-you-like game in February 2010.

Stagsnet report now in the Match Centre


Full-time: Mansfield Town 2 Lincoln City 1
Evening Post report by Matt Halfpenny

MANSFIELD Town celebrated John Radford's historic purchase of Field Mill in style against Lincoln City with a fifth home victory running in front of a season's best crowd.


There was a party atmosphere before kick-off after the Stags' owner and chairman had completed his ground buy-out from long-time landlord Keith Haslam in the week.

And the home support was still bouncing come full-time after second half goals from Ross Dyer and Gary Roberts were enough to ruin ex-boss David Holdsworth's return to his former stomping ground – despite a late Imps consolation from Mark McCammon.

The result sees Mansfield move up to sixth in the Blue Square Bet Premier, now just a point off the play-offs with a game in hand on fifth-placed Southport.

The Stags made three changes to the side who came back to beat Tamworth 2-1 last weekend.

Paul Edwards, who has returned to Fleetwood after his loan spell, injured skipper Adam Murray and Lindon Meikle made way for Martin Riley, Anthony Howell and Adam Smith.

Ritchie Sutton moved to left-back, Riley went into the middle alongside Exodus Geohaghon, Howell slotted into central midfield and Smith took a place on the left flank.

In Murray's absence, due to an ankle problem, goalkeeper Alan Marriott was named as skipper against his old club.

Mansfield made a lively start and though Ross Dyer met Geohaghon's long throw, his header was well wide.

Top scorer Matt Green should have done better when he headed just wide from an inswinging Luke O'Neill free-kick after Smith had been fouled.

The hosts kept up the pressure but Sutton was a long way off target with a long range drive.

At the other end, a tenth minute Lincoln free-kick caused confusion in the Mansfield box, only for Robbie Williams' volley to be blocked.

Former Stag Jefferson Louis had to head away from the goalmouth a dangerous free-kick from O'Neill before, at the other end, the big target man shot straight at Marriott after a poor clearance from Riley had gifted him the opportunity.

Mansfield were forced into a change when Smith hobbled off after trying and failing to run off a knock, being replaced by Meikle.

Mansfield had the ball in the net soon after but Matt Green was clearly offside in thumping home from a Louis Briscoe's centre.

Just past the half hour mark, Briscoe worked an opening to let fly on the edge of the box but his drive was too close to Joe Anyon to trouble him.

With 35 minutes on the watch, Meikle's sharp turn allowed him to run at the City defence and he got close enough to try his luck but shot straight at Anyon.

As half-time approached, Green had another decent chance but volleyed into Anyon's arms from close range following another Dyer knock down.

A free-kick for Lincoln saw John Nutter pick out Josh Gowling whose header flew over the top.

In the final minute of the first period, Meikle attempted a curler but was just the wrong side of the post with his effort.

But Mansfield went in front just over a minute after the restart.

A superb, curling cross from O'Neill from the right was just asking to be buried and Dyer did not disappoint from close range, sweeping home his seventh of the season.

Lincoln might have hit back almost immediately, but Richard Pacquette dragged his finish horribly wide after latching onto a quickly taken throw.

However, it was 2-0 just before the hour mark as Gary Roberts scored his first goal for Mansfield at Field Mill.

Green picked out Meikle on the left and he cut in to lay off to the former Port Vale midfielder whose low shot from 20 yards was not powerfully struck but was accurate enough to find the bottom left-hand corner.

Meikle tried his luck again as the Stags look to cut loose but this time was too high with his right-footed drive.

Lincoln showed they had not given up when Marriott had to intervene to cut out substitute Jamie Taylor's cross as fellow replacement McCammon lurked.

But Mansfield were soon back on the attack and Anyon did well to collect Green's stabbed effort after he had sidestepped his marker.

Lincoln should have pulled a goal back in the last minute but McCammon hooked over the top form close in after Geohaghon had missed his header.

But the visitors did net in the third of four minutes of added time when Tyrone Thompson's struck McCammon and fortuitously deceived Marriott to trickle in.

It did not spoil Mansfield's afternoon, who now look forward to Tuesday night's trip to Cambridge United.

Mansfield: Marriott, O' Neill, Geohaghon, Riley, Sutton, Briscoe, Howell, Roberts (Worthington 85), Smith (Meikle 23), Green, Dyer. Subs: not used: Redmond, Rhead, Hutchinson.

Lincoln: Anyon, Robson, Williams, Gowling, Nutter, Bore (McCammon 79), Power, Thompson, Russell (Almond 61), Pacquette (Taylor 61), Louis. Subs not used: Draper, Watson.

Referee: Richard Clark (Nothumberland).

Attendance: 4,838 (627 visitors).


Mansfield Town 2 Lincoln City 1 - 3rd March, 2012
chad.co.uk report by Stephen Thirkill

A BIGGEST crowd of the season saw Mansfield Town crown a perfect week in the club's recent history by beating Lincoln City 2-1 at Field Mill to move ever nearer to the play-offs.


Following his purchase of the Field Mill freehold, chairman John Radford had called on the people of Mansfield to come out in record numbers to back the club's promotion bid.

And that is exactly what they did as 4,838 supporters packed into Field Mill to eclipse the previous best for the season of 3,997 on the opening day of the season against Bath.

The fans were not left disappointed as Stags, despite a lacklustre first 45 minutes which led to just one chance, turned on the second half style to comfortably see off former boss David Holdsworth's Imps.

Ross Dyer capped a man-of-the-match performance to open the scoring just 64 seconds in the second half when he latched on to a low Luke O'Neill cross to prod home past Joe Anyon.

Mansfield continued to pile the pressure on their relegation-threatened neighbours during an impressive spell and took a firm grip on the game on 58 minutes.

Substitute Lindon Meikle showed his ever-present danger as he cut beautifully inside from the left touchline before laying the ball off to Gary Roberts.

Roberts underlined his class to hammer an inch-perfect strike along the ground from 25 yards to the wild cheers of the Field Mill fans.

It was the first time Mansfield, who have now won five home games on the trot, had beaten Lincoln at Field Mill since winning 2-1 on September 2001.

Stags are now just one point off Southport in the last play-off place with a game in hand and could go into the top five for the first time since 27th September if they can beat Cambridge United on Tuesday night.

Skipper Adam Murray failed to recover from the ankle injury he picked up towards the end of last Saturday's 2-1 win over Tamworth and was replaced by Anthony Howell.

Stags also made two other changes with flying winger Adam Smith, who sparked the Tamworth fightback, replaced Lindon Meikle, while Martin Riley replaced Paul Edwards in the defence.

Lincoln City, managed by former Stags boss David Holdsworth, named old-boys Tyronne Thompson and Jefferson Louis in their starting line-up.

Ahead of the game the party atmosphere was cranked up moments before kick-off with Steve Hymas and the fans thanking chairman John Radford for purchasing the Field Mill freehold.

It should have been 1-0 to Stags after just six minutes when top-scorer Matt Green failed to get any real contact on Luke O'Neill's in-swinging free-kick from just two yards out, with any firm contact certain to find the back of the net.

Mansfield continued to pile the pressure on their relegation-threatened neighbours, with Ritchie Sutton the latest to fire a warning shot when he curled an effort from distance high and wide after eight minutes.

At the other end Robbie Williams nearly entertained the visiting fans, before seeing his goal-bound effort superbly blocked for a corner by a diving Martin Riley.

The Imps began to weather the storm and should have done better after 20 minutes when former Stags Jefferson Louis fired a tame effort straight at Alan Marriott after Riley had fluffed his clearance.

After a lively start winger Adam Smith was replaced by Lindon Meikle after he failed to shrug off an injury to his lower back.

Matt Green had his 23rd goal of the season chalked off on 27 minutes after a neat turn and finish was ruled offside.

Joe Anyon was well placed in the Lincoln goal to stop a speculative curling effort from Louis Briscoe, after the winger took full advantage of some indecision in the City defence on 32 minutes.

Substitute Lindon Meikle then did his best to open the scoring on 35 minutes when his bursting run from the centre circle end with a well-hit shot from 25 yards being comfortably claimed by Anyon.

Green was the next to go close on 39 minutes after good work from strike-partner Ross Dyer gave the Stags' top-scorer a sniff on goal.

But Green failed to shrug off the attentions of his marker and fired straight into the chest of Anyon as Mansfield struggled to get into their attacking stride.

Meikle again got into a good position just a minute before half-time after Briscoe slid the ball across the edge of the box.

The winger then cut inside the box, but his right-foot shot failed to have enough curl to trouble Anyon as City did enough to go into the break all square.

Stags started the second half on fire and took the lead after just 64 seconds of the restart when the lively Ross Dyer got on the end of an O'Neill centre to slot home from inside the six yard box.

Louis embarrassingly scuffed an effort so far wide it went out for a throw in on 50 minutes after a good pass by Pacquette saw him go goalside of the Mansfield defence.

Stags took a firm grip on the game after 58 minutes when Meikle's jinking run from the left touchline picked out Gary Robers.

The midfielder then drilled an inch-perfect effort from all off 25 yards into the bottom corner of Anyon's goal as Mansfield continued to pile on the pressure.

The goal was greeted by cheers and choruses of 'Yellow, Yellow' around the West Stand as the Field Mill faithful celebrated a memorable week for the club.

It could have been 3-0 after 70 minutes when Meikle was once again allowed far too much time and space to power through the midfield into the Lincoln defensive third.

But Meikle was unable to keep his shot down as he skied his effort into the Quarry Lane end.

Briscoe underlined the confidence running through the Stags side on 81 minutes when he tried his luck without success from 30 yards.

Meikle so nearly found the goal his energetic performance deserved on 83 minutes when he brought a long ball over the top down beautifully before drilling a low shot across the goal which was well saved by Anyon.

Lincoln pulled a goal back three minutes into stoppage time when a Thompson shot wickedly deflected off Mark McCammon after Marriott had already dived the other way.

But it was too little too late as Mansfield held on for a famous win.

MANSFIELD TOWN (4-4-2): Marriott 7, Riley 7, Briscoe7, Green 7, Dyer 9, O'Neill 8, Sutton 7, Smith 6 (Meikle 23 mins 8), Howell 7, Geohaghon 7, Roberts 7 (Worthington 85 mins 5). Subs not used: Redmond, Rhead, Hutchinson.

LINCOLN CITY (4-4-2): Anyon 7, Nutter 7, Williams 7, Gowling 7, Power 7, Louis 6, Russell 6 (Almond 61 mins), Pacquete 6(Taylor 61 mins), Robson 7, Bore 6 (McCammon 79 mins 5), Thompson 6. Subs not used: Draper, Watson.

ATTENDANCE: 4,838 (627away)

REFEREE: Richard Clark of Northumberland.

BOOKINGS: Mansfield - Briscoe (40 mins – foul); Lincoln – Thompson (75 mins – foul)



Pessimism replaced by optimism as Stags kick off new era with victory
Nottingham Post considered report by Matt Halfpenny

IT was the same bricks and mortar; same seats and gangways; same goalposts and pitch. Yet as soon as you walked into Field Mill on Saturday you could not fail to notice the whole atmosphere of the place had been completely transformed.


Since the Stags were relegated from the Football League in 2008, there's been little to lift the gloom for the club's long-suffering supporters.

Reasons to smile have been few and far between, and the days among the country's elite 92 have become an ever-distant memory for a moribund club seemingly in irrevocable decline.

Suddenly, though, all that has changed. Pessimism has been replaced by optimism and dread with genuine hope.

Gone from the stands for the derby against Lincoln were the embittered faces, contorted with anguish and frustration, to be replaced by broad grins and looks of contentment.

So, too, were the boos. This time there was only applause and chants of encouragement.

The reason for such a wholesale swing in mood was simple: Mansfield have their ground back and former chairman Keith Haslam's involvement with the club is no more.

Supporters can finally see a positive future – and that was something a season-best crowd of almost 5,000 were not about to pass up the opportunity to celebrate.

The man responsible for buying back the Stags' home since the 1919-20 season, owner John Radford, was given a hearty and much-deserved reception by the home faithful before kick-off for giving them the day many thought may never happen.

It's been something of an odyssey for the Mansfield-born businessman since he took over the club in September 2010; a personal mission for him to get Field Mill under his wing.

He has had his doubters along that 17-month path, those who thought his unstinting conviction during the whole saga was misplaced.

But in the words of manager Paul Cox, Radford has proven to be 'the Real McCoy', the knight in shining armour the club has so desperately craved.

For it is he who has dug deep into his pocket to come up with the substantial seven-figure sum that was enough to persuade Haslam to hand over control of the stadium complex on Thursday.

'The future is amber and blue, March 1 2012', read a banner held aloft by the club's youth team, who have gone 15 games unbeaten in league competition this season.

In front of his fellow directors, Steve Hymas, meanwhile, told the crowd Radford's gesture had 'elevated the club to another level' and said everyone 'thanked him from the bottom of their hearts'.

It was all rousing, memorable stuff, but it soon became apparent once the teams had taken to the field that there was still a match to be won – a task not easy under the circumstances.

Radford's intervention meant, of course, that Mansfield finally knew they could go all out for promotion knowing ground issues would no longer deny them a place in the end-of-season play-offs.

But to keep on the path towards that target, a fifth home win in a row to start 2012 was needed on an occasion when it would have been easy to slip to unexpected defeat.

To their immense credit, though, Mansfield's players did not seem overawed by their task in hand. In fact, they seemed to relish it.

Three changes were made to the starting line-up, with Paul Edwards, who has gone back to Fleetwood following a loan spell, ankle injury victim Adam Murray and Lindon Meikle dropping out.

They were replaced by Martin Riley – Ritchie Sutton switching to left-back – Anthony Howell and Adam Smith respectively.

It was a sign of the increasing strength in depth in the squad that the Stags did not really miss them.

The hosts began well and Green missed a good headed chance to put Mansfield ahead from an early Luke O'Neill free-kick, diverting his effort wide of the left-hand post.

It was a blow to the hosts midway through the half when Smith, who had started well, had to limp off in obvious discomfort and made way for Meikle.

Even so, the Stags continued to do most of the attacking and had the best chances, Green being denied at close quarters by keeper Joe Anyon and Meikle failing to test the City stopper with a brace of shots.

For their part, Lincoln felt they should have had a penalty for a handball by Exodus Geohaghon, but the referee, who had a good view, was unmoved.

However, it took Mansfield not much more than a minute to go in front in the second period. O'Neill's delicious cross bisected the Lincoln defence perfectly and Ross Dyer had the simple task of converting his seventh goal of the season from close range.

After Richard Pacquette had dragged wide from an acute angle, the Stags struck again just before the hour mark with what proved the deciding goal.

Green and Meikle combined to tee up Gary Roberts, and his low 20-yard drive found the bottom left-hand corner for his first goal at Field Mill in amber and blue, even though it was not struck particularly powerfully.

That knocked the stuffing out of Lincoln and Mansfield looked as if they might go on and score a few more.

As it was, they ended up winning by just a solitary goal as a Tyrone Thompson shot, that skipper-for-the-day Alan Marriott had covered, took a big deflection off Mark McCammon and trickled over the line in the third of four minutes of added time at the end.

But it could not spoil the day for Mansfield or Radford, who was voted 'man of the match' by the sponsors for his historic contribution, thereby sparking another standing ovation.

Such is his popularity around the town right now, he could probably run for mayor and win hands down.

Radford, though, would surely prefer the Mansfield bandwagon to keep on rolling along nicely, with this latest victory making it six wins in their last eight matches.

The Stags have now moved up to sixth place in the table, just one point outside the play-offs but with a game in hand on Southport immediately above them.

With such a feel-good factor and an increasing sense of momentum, a place in the Football League is now no longer just a pipe dream, it's an entirely plausible possibility


Stags fan view – Mark Strawther, 31, from Mansfield
Nottingham Post

WHAT a day for Mansfield Town fans. We can't have had too many better!


It's been a long time coming getting the ground back in the club's possession from Keith Haslam, but now, finally, there is a platform to move forward.

It was great to see John Radford getting such a rousing reception for what he has done for the club. It is something all us fans really appreciate.

Of course, now it is the team's turn to do their bit and put a consistent string of results together that can get us in the play-offs.

I believe we can do it, but we have some important games coming up. There's Cambridge tomorrow, who have two games in hand on us, and then the double header against Fleetwood that is not going to be easy.

That's why it was important to keep our good home form going with this win over Lincoln and it was particularly sweet considering David Holdsworth was in charge of them.

It's a shame Adam Murray is injured, but I thought Anthony Howell did well coming in for him.

That's one of the best things about this season – we have a lot more cover in different positions than we did last.

Ross Dyer also did well. He doesn't get as many goals as Matt Green but he always works really hard for the team.

It was great to see a big crowd for the game and hopefully they'll come back and help us as we try to get promoted back into the Football League


Mansfield 2 Imps 1 Stags throw All But The Veg At Reg

Posted by savethemightyimps

The Imps were throroughly outclassed at Mansfield Town today, after a half-decent first half rearguard action. A crisp close range finish from Dyer and a superb 25-yarder from Roberts saw the Stags out of sight before a rather lucky consolation at the death from McCammon at the death.

For the benefit of the visiting Stags, first the teams & schemes, then the unbiased match report and finally more stats than you can shake an Imp or Stag at. Thanks for reading - Neil Gentleman-Hobbs

But to the game footy fans to the game………..

A lively, albeit one way opening, saw Dyer, unmarked in the six-yard box, blast a glorious opportunity high and wide. The Imps first sortie saw a shot from Russell crash into what appeared to be the arm of Riley, but it was deemed ball to hand as these things are when you are away from home. Early doors saw O'Neill tearing us apart down the right with Smith a menace down the left. Geoghagan's long throw, as good as any free kick, caused havoc in the Imps box. Gowling, Nutter and Williams cleared the lines, more by luck than judgement, with Gowling lucky to get away with a crude off the ball challenge to the small of Smith's back. This crude but clever move forced the flying left winger from the fray and upset the Stags balance and rythm for a time as Meilke appeared a far poorer substitute.

Great Link up play between Russell and Pacquette saw the latter feed Jefferson Louis who fizzed a shot that Mazza did well to save. Louis was all over the place, perhaps aware of the McCammon threat on the bench, clearing the lines and even taking quick throws as Mansfield continued to dominate. Pacquette tirelessly ran the channels, although the service was worse than a call centre on a Bombay Bank Holiday. Gowling, unable to deal with Green, continually fowled his way out of trouble and Nutter was also lucky as the ref continued to see no evil where a Green & white hooped shirt was concerned.

A glorious rising drive from Meikle was magnificently saved by Anyon as the Stags continued to probe, The Imps began to enjoy more of the game although the passing was poor from Bore and Russell. The Imps were certainly getting the luck. Having failed to deal with a Meikle cross, giving Dyer a free header that he fluffed, no one went for the second ball in the six yard box but dead-shot Green sensationally fired over. Louis headed over at the other end as Mansfield showed they too saw attack as the best form of defence.

The Imps were working hard for each other, the Stags high balls meat and drink for Williams and Gowling, although when they got it down they looked dangerous with Dyer curling a long range effort a foot wide of Anyon's post. A Power and Bore (yes he was playing) one-two saw O'Neill pluck the ball off the toe of the former just as he was about to pull the trigger to end the half. As things stood the referee could not be accused of being a homer with things going swimmingly in every sense of the word. As far as the relegation rumble was concerned Alfreton, Telford, Hayes and Stockport were all goalless, with Kettering a goal down.

The trudge from the dressing room to the dugouts was like water off a ducks back for for Holdsworth. The Stags were like a whirlwind second half Briscoe's pocket picked at the expense of a throw. The ball was lofted in and then half cleared at the expense of free kick. A great delivery from O'Neill saw Dyer, with two much time, turn to flick home from 6 yards with aplomb. It was tasty stuff as Williams and Green squared up after a challenge more by crook than hook. Bore fed Pacquette who took it in his stride but alas blasted over when a shot on target should have put us level.

Brisoe was getting the freedom of Lincs and Notts down the right, although the end product was fortunately far inferior to his dribbling skills. Bore was leaving Nutter exposed time although he did feed his full-back for an exciting overlap that ended with a poor cross for our first attempt of the half. On 58 Gary Roberts received an incisive ball from Meikle, took a touch and placed a fantastic dipping 25-yarder beyond Anyon just inside the upright. A quality strike worthy of winning any game.

Holdsworth made a double substitution to put on a show for the healthy and vociferous 627 strong away following – again a credit to the club throughout. Almond came on for Russell and Almond replaced Pacquette. Normal service was resumed as Briscoe roasted down the right whilst Meikle made Robson's life a misery. It was all too easy, both Almond and Bore are powder puffs in the challenge which leaves the full-backs hopelessly exposed. Taylor tried to orchestrate some football as the Imps enjoyed a 4 man 8 pass move that Riley ended when he charged Almond to the ground as he looked to shoot.

Thomson then saw yellow for his second bad foul of the game as the Imps struggled to stay in the game. Green and Dyer's power and mobility stretched Gowling and Williams all game, with Briscoe far too clever for the Imps left flank. He almost added a third with an unopposed run and rising drive whilst a ball to Green saw a header go wide. Marriott had to be alert as McCammon on for non event Bore as the Imps went 4-3-3. O'Neill then overlapped and crossed well, but Anyon's fumble went unpunished.

Anyon then saved and held Briscoe's drive brilliantly before the Imps enjoyed a couple of efforts. Jefferson Louis headed the first over and then hit the second high and wide. As Mansfield continued to sit back Mark McCammon tried an overhead kick that went well over. A speculative shot from Thomson then cannoned comically off McCammon to flatter us a bit at the death. Too little, too late with the Imps outclassed again. The Imps fall to 19th as Stockport win at Darlington, still 5 points off the drop. Holdsworth had to run the gauntlet as he made for the sanctuary of the dressing room.

Mansfield Town 2 - 0 Lincoln City (H/T 0-0)


Stags: Dyer 47 Roberts 58

Imps McCammon 94

Ref: Richard Clark Attendance 4830 ( 4203 Stags 627 Imps)



Latest | March 2012