BARNES-HOMER IS A TARGET, BUT NOT ADAM CHAPMAN
Barnes-Homer a Stags target, confirms boss Cox
Nottingham Post, Tuesday, January 24, 2012
MANSFIELD Town boss Paul Cox today confirmed his interest in former Luton striker Matthew Barnes-Homer – but says a deal is far from certain.
The 25-year-old had his contract at Kenilworth Road terminated by the mutual consent at the turn of the year.
He spent the vast majority of the first half of 2011-12 on loan at League One Rochdale, where he made five appearances without netting.
Barnes-Homer has previously boasted a decent record at Blue Square Premier level, having scored 19 goals for the Hatters last season to finish as top scorer.
The Birmingham-born former England C international also bagged 35 goals in 100 games at Kidderminster Harriers.
"Matthew is someone we are talking to but everything boils down to finance," said Cox.
"He is one of a number of players we have in our sights, but it is really hotting up now with the deadline fast approaching (midnight next Tuesday)."
Meanwhile, the Stags will not be pursuing their interest in Oxford United's Adam Chapman.
The midfielder has been at Field Mill on trial with a view to a loan move.
Cox added: "It's not going to progress. We need players who are match fit and ready to go and he is not quite right."
Latest | January 2012