{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from September 2011

28th September 2011 16:34

Blue Square Bet Premier
Mansfield Town 0 - 3 Kidderminster Harriers
Briscoe sent off 68. Storer 5, Wright 7, Vaughan (pen) 23
Attendance: 2522 (117 from Kidderminster)

Date: 24 September 2011


Mansfield Town 0 Kidderminster 3, Saturday 24th September 2011
chad.co.uk report by John Lomas

TWO early goals in as many minutes saw a classy Kidderminster Harriers blow Mansfield Town's unbeaten home record out of the water on an afternoon to forget at Field Mill today.


Trailing 3-0 at the break, there was no way back for Paul Cox's side who also had Louis Briscoe dismissed for a dangerous tackle on 68 minutes to rub further salt into their wounds.

Mansfield can have no excuse for the defending that saw Kyle Storer (six minutes) and Nick Wright (seven minutes) put the visitors firmly in the driving seat with their front three running rampant.

Then, on a day when little seemed to go for them in terms of the run of the ball or refereeing decisions, Stags went further behind on 23 minutes as Lee Vaughan buried a penalty and that was pretty much game, set and match.

It was an impressive comeback for a Kidderminster side who were shocked 5-2 at Fleetwood in midweek and underlined Cox's statement that any team can beat any other in what he feels in set to be the most open league in years.

Stags at least had a good go at it in the second half but found the Harriers' back four and, in particular, keeper Daniel Lewis, in magnificent form.

The result dropped Stags down to eighth with a trip to leaders Wrexham on the horizon this Tuesday.

And it ended a disappointing week in which Mansfield have taken a single point from two home games when within touching distance of top spot.

Cox named an unchanged side for the sixth game while Harriers named ex-Stags Luke Jones and Luke Medley in their starting line-up, which showed six changes from their midweek beating at Fleetwood.

Stags were almost caught cold inside the opening seconds as Matt wriggled into a goalscoring position inside the right of the box, Kendrick sliding in with the saving tackle, Vaughan eventually lifting the loose ball well over from 20 yards.

But they were undone after six minutes as Gittings pulled back a short corner to Vaughan who floated a cross to the far post where Storer was allowed to bury a header past Marriott.

Incredibly Harriers doubled their lead within a minute. Gittings threaded a perfect through ball down the centre and Wright ran on to slot home a calm low finish.

Stags hit back with a right wing raid that ended with Futcher nodding wide at the far post.

But it was Kidderminster who were looking like the home side and Medley nipped inside Kendrick to fire straight at Marriott while, a minute later Byrne drilled in a low 30 yard shot that Marriott had to turn aside for a corner.

Vaughan dragged a low shot wide of the keeper's right hand post on 19 minutes after racing past Meikle with home fans growing quickly irritated by Kidderminster's dominance.

On 22 minutes Harriers played a succession of neat passes which ended with a backheel sending Williams into the box where he was brought down by Meikle.

Vaughan sent Marriott the wrong way from the penalty spot and Stags were staring down the barrel.

Briscoe finally got an effort on target at the other end, albeit with the help of a deflection, only to see Lewis push it away for a corner.

Another Medley run saw his shot deflect off Kendrick's toe and Marriott threw himself to his left to hold onto the ball.

Harriers were completely in charge at this stage so Paul Cox decided on a double substitution on 32 minutes as he threw on wily, experienced midfield campaigners Worthington and Bolland in place of Howell and Meikle.

Matt was off target with a flying header from Medley's teasing right wing centre.

But, with the new faces in midfield, Stags did have a little more possession than before only to find the Harriers' defence firmly shut.

There were a few boos from a section of home fans as the half-time whistle blew though the majority tried to lift the players as they walked off.

Stags needed a tonic as soon as possible on the restart, and it almost came within three minutes as Dyer's 20 yard half-volley struck the underside of the crossbar and bounced down.

Mansfield were convinced the ball was over the line but the assistant referee disagreed.

That seemed to lift the home side and fans and soon after Briscoe's ball inside for Green saw him quickly change direction and get away a low shot that Lewis saved.

However, Harriers were still dangerous and Gittings' rising 15 yard blast beat Marriott but also bounced down off the underside of the crossbar and was hooked away to safety.

It should all have been over on the hour when Wright looked offside from Byrne's pass, but the flag stayed down. With Marriott advancing he chose to try to square to Matt in front of goal instead of shooting and over-hit the ball, allowing the defenders to get back.

A 25 yard Storer free kick sailed into the North Stand.

Stags continued to give free kicks away and Murray was given a final warning while Bolland was also lucky to escape a yellow card.

But the frustration finally boiled over as Briscoe flew in, studs showing on Vaughan on 68 minutes and out came the automatic red card as players from both sides jostled each other.

Stags went for broke and came desperately close on 75 minutes.

But ex-Stags Jones twice blocked in the line, keeping out shots by Dyer and then Bolland and seconds later keeper Lewis smothered a Murray shot from close range.

On 79 minutes Lewis made another great stop as Green's backheel sent Kendrick into the box for a low shot.

But Harriers, exploiting the wide open spaces appearing at the back could have added more goals near the end, Marriott saving from Matt and then Wright drawing Marriott on a breakaway before squaring to sub Demetriou in front of goal whose finish struck O'Neill on the line.

Green hooked one wide from Bolland's head-on as we entered the last two minutes.

STAGS: Marriott; O'Neill, Sutton, Futcher, Kendrick; L. Briscoe, Murray, Howell (Worthington 32), Meikle (Bolland 32); Green, Dyer. Subs not used: Redmond, Naylor, Connor.

KIDDERMINSTER: Lewis; Vaughan, Jones, Sharpe, Mike Williams; Byrne, Storer, Gittings; Wright, Matt (Demetriou 85), Medley (Marc Williams 78). Subs not used: Lyness, Phelan, M. Briscoe.

REFEREE: Scott Duncan of Newcastle-upon-Tyne.

ATTENDANCE: 2,522 (117).


Full-time: Mansfield Town 0 Kidderminster Harriers 3
Nottingham Post report by Matt Halfpenny

TEN-MAN Mansfield Town were made to pay for a slow start to slump to a first home defeat of the season to slick Kidderminster Harriers, who ran out deserved winners at Field Mill.


The Stags were hoping to bounce back from the disappointment of conceding a late equaliser to AFC Telford United in midweek.

Instead, they were 2-0 down after just seven minutes and 3-0 down well within half an hour after strikes from Kyle Storer, Nick Wright and Lee Vaughan – and never recovered, despite an improved second half display.

To add insult to injury on a forgettable afternoon, Louis Briscoe was sent off just before the hour mark as the Stags slipped out of the Blue Square Bet Premier play-off places.

Mansfield were sliced open inside the first 35 seconds but Joe Kendrick tracked back to make a vital tackle on Jamille Matt just as he was about to pull the trigger.

But it was bad news for the Stags in the sixth minute when a short corner saw Vaughan whip in an inviting cross and Storer headed home from close range.

And it got even worse for the hosts within a minute as Callum Gittings' perfectly weighted through ball set Wright away through the middle and he slid wide of the advancing Alan Marriott to double Harriers' lead.

As Mansfield tried to hit back, Ben Futcher headed wide at the far post from Louis Briscoe's cross.

But the visitors were soon back on the attack as Luke Medley curled into the arms of Marriott before the Mansfield keeper had to push away a goalbound effort from Jack Byrne.

Vaughan was allowed to run at the home defence in the 19th minute and was not too far wide with his shot that flew past the left-hand upright.

Kidderminster were awarded a penalty in the 23rd minute when Lindon Meikle was adjudged to have fouled Mike Williams in the box.

Vaughan stepped up to make no mistake from the spot, sending Marriott the wrong way to make it 3-0 to Steve Burr's men.

Harriers went in search of a fourth and Marriott had to be alert to keep out another low drive from Medley.

With Mansfield being overrun in midfield, manager Paul Cox made two changes in an attempt to remedy the problem, with Meikle and Anthony Howell taken off and Jon Worthington and Paul Bolland thrown on.

But still Kidderminster looked the more threatening as Matt headed wide from Medley's right-wing centre.

Mansfield looked to lift the tempo after the restart but Matt Green's shot from Ross Dyer's pull back was weak and straight at Daniel Lewis.

The Stags thought they had pulled a goal back in the 49th minute when Dyer's drive struck the underside of the bar via Daniel Lewis' fingertips, but claims the ball bounced down over the line were waved away by the officials.

At the other end, Harriers also struck the woodwork when Ritchie Sutton's clearance deflected to the midfielder and his strike came back off the bar.

It might have been 4-0 when Wright, looking suspiciously offside, raced onto Byrne's pass through the inside right channel, only to misplace his final pass for Matt.

Any hopes Mansfield had of salvaging the game were dealt a killer blow in the 58th minute when Briscoe was shown a straight red card for sliding into a challenge with Lee Vaughan with his studs showing.

Having said that, Mansfield were desperately unlucky not to pull a goal back as the game moved into the last quarter.

First Ross Dyer's effort was cleared off the like by ex-Stag Luke Jones and then the Harriers defender repeated the trick from Paul Bolland's goalbound effort.

From the resulting corner, Adam Murray was denied at close quarters by Lewis, who then spread himself superbly to keep out Joe Kendrick.

Marriott saved well to keep put Matt as the keeper was quickly off his line to make a block.

It should have been another for the visitors in the closing stages when Wright gave substitute Mickey Demetriou what appeared to be a simple tap-in, but he shot straight at O'Neill on the line.

Mansfield: Marriott, O'Neill, Sutton, Futcher, Kendrick, L. Briscoe, Howell (Bolland 32), Murray, Meikle (Worthington 32), Green, Dyer. Subs not used: Redmond, Naylor, Connor.

Kidderminster: Lewis, Vaughan, Jones, Sharpe, Mike Williams, Byrne, Storer, Gittings (Phelan 83), Wright, Matt (Demetriou 85), Medley (Marc Williams 78). Subs not used: Lyness, M. Briscoe.

Referee: Scott Duncan (Newcastle-upon-Tyne).

Attendance: 2,522 (117 visitors).


mansfieldtown.net report

Stags' superb unbeaten run came to an abrupt halt as Kidderminster Harriers left Field Mill with maximum points in a game which the visitors controlled from start to finish.


Mansfield had wanted to make it nine matches unbeaten after an impressive run which saw the Stags near the summit of the table, but fellow-promotion chasers Kidderminster Harriers had other ideas.

Stags were stuck in the traps during an afternoon which they will want to forget quickly, and will now face the prospect of being without Louis Briscoe for three games after the winger saw red midway through the second half for serious foul play.

The visitors flew out the traps and showed their intent early on in the opening minute after surging forward straight from the whistle. Stags had Joe Kendrick to thank when he made a vital interception from the advancing Jamille Matt before Lee Vaughan blasted over with the follow up.

But it wasn't long before the visitors were ahead. On six minutes, Harriers caught Stags' off guard with a short corner.Vaughan delivered from the right and Kyle Storer leapt at the back post to head home.

Things went from bad to worse two minutes later when Nick Wright latched on to a throughball before slotting it below Alan Marriott to double Harriers' advantage.

At the other end, Louis Briscoe swept in from the right but Ben Futcher's header was off target at the back post.

Stags had to withstand more pressure and Marriott had to be alert on 12 minutes to turn Jack Byrne's 25 yard effort around the post.

Byrne then showed his defensive skills in equal measure by clearing off the Kidderminster goal line from a Ben Futcher header after a cross from the right.

On 19 minutes, Kidderminster right back Lee Vaughan, one of Kidderminster's star players, sped away from Lindon Meikle before firing just wide of Marriott's right hand upright as the visitors kept up the pressure.

It wasn't long before Vaughan was on the scoresheet when the visitors won a penalty on 23 minutes after Meikle was adjudged to have tripped Marc Williams inside the area. Up stepped Vaughan to send Marriott the wrong way to increase Harriers' lead.

Luke Medley, on his return to Field Mill following his summer departure, burst down the right before striking low into the hands of Marriott, with the aid of a deflection.

Stags' boss Paul Cox made a double substitution with 13 minutes of the first half to play. Experienced midfielder Jon Worthington came on to replace Anthony Howell, while Lindon Meikle made way for Paul Bolland.

Moments later, Joe Kendrick's inswinging free kick evaded everyone inside the area.

Stags almost pulled one back two minutes into the second half when Ross Dyer's ferocious effort blasted against the underside of the bar and on to the line.

Mansfield came out all guns blazing in the second period, but they were denied again when Matt Green's shot was saved by Kidderminster 'keeper Daniel Lewis.

Then, Kidderminster almost added to their tally when Callum Gitting's shot cannoned back off the bar.

Steve Burr's men should have had a fourth when Stags' defence were caught napping just before the hour mark. Nick Wright broke the offside trap before a poor square ball across goal eluded the onrushing Jamille Matt.

Stags' afternoon got worse on 68 minutes when they were reduced to ten men after referee Scott Duncan adjudged that Louis Briscoe lunged into a 50-50 challenge on Lee Vaughan.

Kidderminster continued to hold firm and there seemed no way past man mountain Luke Jones on 75 minutes when he made two sensational goal line clearances. Somehow, the ex-Stags centre half cleared from Ross Dyer's close effort and then, even more impressively, headed over the bar from Paul Bolland well-struck follow up.

From the resulting corner, Adam Murray got in on the shooting act when his low drive was denied by goalkeeper Daniel Lewis who made a strong save.

Lewis was called upon again when Joe Kendrick let fly from inside the area, but again Lewis was there to make the stop.

This was Stags' spell of pressure but despite huffing and puffing, Kidderminster would not be broken.

Harriers had another chance to make it 4-0, when on 85 minutes, substitute Mickey Demetriou missed a sitter from five yards when Luke O'Neill stood in the way of his weak effort.

But by that time, the outcome was already beyond any doubt.

Attendance: 2,522 (117 away)


kidderminstershuttle.co.uk report
Superb Harriers produce Stag-nifcant victory
Saturday 24th September 2011


Mansfield 0 Harriers 3

SUPERB Harriers produced their best performance of the season to trounce in-form Mansfield at Field Mill on Saturday.

The Aggborough outfit bounced back superbly from their Blue Square Bet Premier loss to Fleetwood in the week to end the Stags' eight-match unbeaten run.

The performance was also the perfect response for manager Steve Burr, who made six changes to his starting line-up.

Goals for Kyle Storer and Nick Wright inside the first ten minutes rocked Mansfield, before Lee Vaughan's penalty cemented Harriers' dominance.

However, despite the home team seeing Louis Briscoe sent off in the second half, Reds keeper Danny Lewis and his defence, especially the exemplary Luke Jones, had to be at their best to repel Mansfield's spirited attempts at a comeback.

Burr made six changes to the side which suffered a heavy defeat at Fleetwood five days before.

Tom Sharpe was handed his first start of the season as a replacement for central defender Tom Marshall.

Jack Byrne, Callum Gittings, Nick Wright and Jamille Matt were also drafted in, as was ex-Stags hitman Luke Medley.

In contrast, Mansfield boss Paul Cox kept the same starting 11 for the sixth game in a row.

However, the away side made a fine start with goals in the sixth and eighth minutes stunning the hosts.

First, midfielder Storer nodded them ahead at the far post from Vaughan's fine cross.

Moments later, Wright raced onto Gittings' through ball and clinically slipped a shot past keeper Alan Marriott.

The home team tried to respond and from an Adam Murray free-kick, centre back Ben Futcher rose well to get a header on target but Storer was on hand clear it away on the line.

However, Harriers continued to force the pace and Storer saw a 20-yard effort scrambled away by Mansfield's keeper.

Vaughan also came close after a barn-storming run but Harriers' attack-minded right back made it 3-0 in the 22nd minute.

Reds skipper Mike Williams swapped passes with Wright and burst into the box, only to be brought down by Lindon Miekle to concede a spot-kick, which Vaughan dispatched into the bottom left corner.

The hosts tried to reply in the first half but found Harriers' defence in resolute mood.

Stags hitman Matt Green saw a shot blocked by Sharpe, while left-back Joe Kendrick's dangerous free-kick flew through the away side's penalty area but none of his teammates could make a telling contact to ruffle keeper Danny Lewis.

Lewis was called into action inside the first minute with a hat-trick of saves.

He saved comfortably from Green but moments later, showed superb razor-sharp reactions to push Ross Dyer's snapshot onto the bar before smothering the ball as hit ricocheted onto the pitch.

Harriers' keeeper then blocked another effort from the dangerous Green.

The visitors replied well and after Mansfield failed to deal with Medley's cross properly, Gittings lashed in a right-footed first-time effort which crashed off the bar.

Wright could not take advantage of a strong break in the 59th minute. He had raced onto Medley's pass but his square pass to Matt, who was in an excellent position to score, was too long.

Harriers' opponents were reduced to 10 men in the 63rd minute after Briscoe was sent off for a studs-up challenge on Vaughan.

The dismissal galvanised the home team, who threw the kitchen at Harriers but the visitor's defence stood solid.

Luke Jones denied a certain goal, blocking efforts from Dyer and Paul Bolland on the line.

Lewis continued to produce heroics, rushing out from a corner to block Adam Murray before denying Kendrick a minute later.

Harriers could have increased their advantage but Matt was denied by Marriott, who had alertly came out to block his shot.

The big centre forward was replaced by debutant Mickey Demetriou in the 85th minute and saw his close range shot hit Luke O'Nell on Mansfield's goal line.

Harriers: Lewis; Vaughan; Mike Williams; Jones; Byrne; Wright; Sharpe; Medley (Marc Williams, 72); Gittings (Phelan, 82) Matt (Demetriou, 85); Storer.

Unused substitutes: Lyness; Briscoe.

Mansfield: Marriott; Kendrick; Briscoe; Green; Murray; Dyer; O'Neill; Sutton; Howell (Worthington, 32); Meikle (Bolland, 32); Futcher.

Unused substitutes: Redmond; Naylor; Connor.

Referee: Scott Duncan (Newcastle Upton Tyne). Attendance: 2,522 (117)


Kidderminster official site report


Report by Matt Wall - stats provided and generated for harriers.co.uk by the Press Association.

Three first-half goals and some sensational football throughout saw Harriers get back to winning ways in style on Saturday with a 3-0 victory at Mansfield Town.

It was a fast start for a much-changed Harriers line-up in windy conditions - a combination of Luke Medley and Jamille Matt burst into the area within 30 seconds and only a fine piece of last-ditch defending six yards out stopped the latter getting a shot away.

That fantastic start continued in best possible way as, come the seventh minute, Harriers found themselves 2-0 up after storming the Stags' defence. First, they were caught sleeping from a short corner as Callum Gittings slipped in Lee Vaughan who chipped a deft cross towards the far post that was nodded past goalkeeper Alan Marriott by a leaping Kyle Storer.

Within seconds the lead was doubled and this time it was Jack Byrne and Gittings who worked together in midfield to see the latter split the Stags once more with a great ball through to Nick Wright who had timed his run to perfection, drawing Marriott before slotting the ball beyond him.

Unbelievably it could have have been 3-0 in the following minutes; Marriott arguably keeping his team in it with two saves, first from Medley's shot and then, on 11 minutes, from Byrne's low drive that needed tipped around the post.

Harriers' impetus was as such that the third goal was only a matter of time in coming - it came from the penalty spot and, in truth, the only way to stop the visitors in this particular move of flowing football between Gittings, Wright and Mike Williams was to commit a foul; Williams brought down in the area by Lindon Meikle as the referee pointed to the spot - Vaughan stepping up to do the honours for the second straight game, coolly beating Marriott.

Clearly unimpressed with his team's start, Stags boss Paul Cox made two tactical changes on the half-hour mark with his side struggling to cope with the onslaught - the lift the changes gave them almost resulted in a goal but Joe Kenrick's free-kick sailed just wide of Danny Lewis' target.

Back up at the other end and only a fine defensive header from Ben Futcher stopped Matt getting in on the act and making it 4-0, Mansfield's fans booing off their side at the break after watching them get thoroughly outplayed.

Mansfield were always going to start the second period on fire and it proved to be the case - within three minutes they got within inches of a goal; Ross Dyer turning well in the area and blasting a shot towards Lewis that was turned excellently on to the bar and then held.

Back up the other end it was very nearly four for Harriers as they responded, pouncing on poor defending in the area as Gittings drove one towards Marriott that cannoned off the woodwork.

On the hour mark Harriers continued to press and looked good on the break; Wright's run out wide just wasn't spotted and when he cut inside for a two-on-one with Matt and the goalkeeper, he shaped to hit the pass but slightly over-hit it, the ball escaping Matt and a certain 4-0.

Inside the last 20 minutes the day went from very bad to worse for the home side - their danger man Louis Briscoe was shown a straight red card for ludicrous lunge on Vaughan, the defender left laying as Briscoe, for some reason, left the field to applause from a section of Stags fans.

In fairness to Mansfield they never gave up and with 15 minutes to go they almost got on the score sheet - only some fantastic defending denied them as Lewis first saved from Adam Murray, Luke Jones then getting back for two tremendous goal line clearances, first from Dyer and then from Bolland as the home side wondered what it would take to find the net.

In the final five minutes Matt made way but his final action was to force a good save from Marriott, one on one, whilst his replacement Mickey Demetriou - on for a Harriers debut - also went close to making it 4-0 as he was teed up by Wright from a few yards only for his shot to be blocked on the line



Latest | September 2011