{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from August 2011

29th August 2011 22:53

Blue Square Bet Premier
Mansfield Town 3 - 0 Kettering Town
Briscoe 11, Green 51, Dyer 64
Attendance: 2,051 (112 from Kettering)

Date: 27 August 2011

Martin Shaw at Field Mill

Mansfield Town picked up their first three points of the season with a comfortable 3-0 win over Kettering Town at Field Mill. Louis Briscoe scored the first from close range on 11 minutes, and after Kettering had the better of a 20 minute spell in the first half, the Stags put the game beyond the Poppies as Ross Dyer set up the the excellent Matt Green to score on 51 minutes, and then Green returned the favour for Dyer on 64 minutes. The Stags are starting look a powerful unit, but will be really tested with a difficult trip to Stockport County on Monday lunchtime.

Commentary of the Stags 3 goals against Kettering, from StagsPlayer full match commentary, by Martin Shaw, Steve Hartshorn and Nigel Pinnick.

Man of the Match: Adam Murray

Stagsnet player ratings are in the Match Centre


Mansfield Town 3 Kettering 0, Saturday 27th August
chad.co.uk report by Stephen Thirkill

MANSFIELD Town swept to their first win of the Blue Square Premier season with an impressive 3-0 demolition of Kettering Town on Saturday. Stags once again turned in another accomplished display as their attacking football all too often carved the fragile Poppies open, reports Stephen Thirkill.


Louis Briscoe showed a goalscorer's instinct to open the scoring as early as the 11th minute with a tap-in after Adam Murray and Lindon Meikle had combined well.

But any fears that Paul Cox's men would let yet another one goal lead slip were dismissed soon into the second half when man-of-the-match Matt Green doubled the home side's lead.

Ross Dyer rose well to flick on an Alan Marriott free-kick and play in his strike partner, who coolly slotted home through the legs of Walker.

And it was game over as Stags, who controlled all the game apart from the middle 20 minutes of the first half, put the game beyond any doubt on 64 minutes.

Matt Green showed his power and pace to beat George Taft to the ball, before sliding in Dyer for the easiest of finishes.

Kettering were guilty of missing a number of decent chances during a purple patch in the first half, with George Taft missing two excellent chances to level the contest.

But it was nothing more than the increasingly confident Stags side deserved as they went on to claim their first clean sheet in nine outings as well as three valuable league points.

As predicted, Stags had named the same starting eleven which performed so well in the draws with Braintree and Luton Town.

But Ritchie Sutton made a welcome return from injury to earn a place on the bench at the expense of Nick Wood.

Stags won the first corner of the game in the second minute when Matt Green put in a testing cross which Phil Ifil cleared to safety.

A minute later Briscoe saw another cross blocked behind for a corner as Stags piled on the pressure in the early stages.

Defender Martin Riley should have opened the scoring in the third minute from the resulting O'Neill corner, when he found space before directing a diving header wide.

Fantastic work by Adam Murray sent Stags on their way to the opening goal on 11 minutes.

The tenacious tackling and never-give-up attitude of Murray won the ball just outside the Kettering box after both Howell and Green had seen efforts blocked.

He then played in winger Meikle who rolled the ball across the face of goal to give Briscoe the simplest of tap-ins.

Stags continued to push forward and nearly made it two when Futcher rose well above his man before nodding a Kendrick free-kick wide of Walker's goal.

Kettering then came back into the game with a series of corners as Stags dropped their pace and lost momentum.

And it was nearly 1-1 on 26 minutes when George Taft connected with a clearance from Williams' corner.

But his well-hit volley from 12 yards out was cleared off the line to safety by Futcher.

Taft then blew a glorious chance on 28 minutes when he headed a Jerel Ifil cross wide from inside the six yard box as The Poppies turned up the heat further.

Mansfield weathered the storm and forced Walker into action in the 42 minute when Green combined well with Meikle after a fast break through midfield.

But the frontman was unable to get the ball out of his feet as he fired a tame shot low to Walkers left.

A minute later Meikle nearly opened his Mansfield Town account thanks to a superb cross from Briscoe.

The flying winger burst down the right wing before firing in an inviting cross deep into the six yard box.

But Meikle's flying volley back across goal was saved in fine style by the diving Walker.

Stags had Marriott to thank deep in injury-time when a Phillip Ifil free-kick beat everyone in the box, before Marriott scrambled across to tip the ball over the bar for a corner.

The Mansfield shot-stopper was again in action a minute later when he flapped at a Williams corner.

But the dangerous Taft was once again denied a goal when his shot from eight yards was blocked by a crowd of lunging defenders.

Stags went into half-time with a 1-0 lead knowing they had already let slip a one goal lead three times this season.

But any fears of a repeat seemed to go out of the window on 51 minutes when Matt Green settled the nerves.

A Marriott free-kick was flicked on by Dyer to leave the on-loan Oxford man clean through on goal.

And Green capped yet another impressive individual display by coolly netting through the legs of Walker.

Kettering blew an excellent chance to narrow their deficit on 53 minutes when Meechan fluffed a snapshot from 18 yards out well wide.

Walker then produced the save of the match in the 57th minute to leave The Poppies still in the game after he leapt acrobatically to turn a Briscoe pile-driver over the bar.

It was game over on 64 minutes when Stags made it three as they turned defence into attack with a sweet flowing move.

Briscoe picked the ball up just inside his own half before flicking the ball over the top and into space for Matt Green to chase.

Green then showed his impressive power once again as he beat Taft to the ball before slotting the perfect pass into the path of Dyer to blast home.

The visitors nearly gave themselves a glimmer of hope on 71 minutes when Moses Ashikodi thundered a fierce drive against Marriott's crossbar from 22 yards.

But in truth it would take a miracle for Kettering to engineer three partings of the Mansfield town defences.

MANSFIELD TOWN: Marriott, Kendrick, Riley (Sutton 76 mins), Futcher, O'Neill, Briscoe, Murray (Worthington 78 mins), Howell, Meikle, Dyer (Connor 82 mins) , Green. Subs not used: Redmond, Stevenson, Connor.

KETTERING TOWN: Walker, P. Ifil, Davis, Williams (Kelly 55 mins), J. Ifil, Ashikodi, Verma, Marma, Meechan, Taft, Navarro (Thomson 55 mins) . Subs not used: Clapham, Noubissie, Haxhia.

ATTENDANCE: 2.051 (112 away).


REFEREE: Richard Clarke of Northumberland


Mansfield Town 3 Kettering Town 0
Nottingham Post report by Matt Halfpenny

MANSFIELD Town registered their first league victory of the season at the fifth attempt as they overcame injury-hit Kettering at Field Mill this afternoon.


The Stags started brightly and deservedly took the lead in the 11th minute when Louis Briscoe rammed home from close range after a deflected Lindon Meikle cross.

But the hosts then stepped off the gas and were almost punished in the lead up to half-time when George Taft headed narrowly wide.

As the second period got under way, Mansfield earned the cushion of a second goal with Matt Green's second of the season after 51 minutes.

Alan Marriott's long free-kick was flicked on by Ross Dyer and the Oxford loanee threaded a finish under the advancing Laurie Walker from the left-hand side of the box.

Briscoe went close to a Mansfield third when his rising shot from distance was tipped over the bar by Walker.

But it was 3-0 to Stags in the 64th minute as Briscoe released Green down the right and his inch-perfect low centre was slammed into the roof of the net by strike partner Dyer, who didn't even need to break stride.

Moses Ashikodi was desperately unlucky not to pull a goal back for Kettering – missing a host of regular first teamers – when his blockbuster cannoned back off the crossbar with Marriott beaten.

However, Mansfield saw out the rest of the game with few alarms to finally get their season up and running – and collect a welcome clean sheet.

Mansfield: Marriott, O'Neill, Riley (Sutton 75), Futcher, Kendrick, Briscoe, Murray (Worthington 79), Howell, Meikle, Dyer (Connor 82), Green. Subs not used: Redmond, Stevenson.

Kettering: Walker, P. Ifil, J. Ifil, Taft, Davis, Meechan, Navarro (Thomson 55), Williams (Kelly 55), Ashikodi, Verma, Marna. Subs not used: Clapham, Noubissie, Haxhia.

Referee: Richard Clark (Northumberland).

Attendance: 2,051 (112 visitors).


A day of firsts as Mansfield get a much-needed victory
Nottingham Post considered report by Matt Halfpenny

IT was a game of firsts for Mansfield Town – and not before time as far as many of the leading cast at Field Mill were concerned.


Striker Ross Dyer was understandably buoyed by a welcome first competitive goal in amber and blue; Alan Marriott was all smiles after he kept a first clean sheet of the 2011-12 campaign.

But the most obvious, and important, first was the Stags' opening victory of the season and maiden success for boss Paul Cox in the Blue Square Bet Premier.

There's been no doubt his side had looked increasingly comfortable and confident in the games they have played at the start of the new campaign – since their 3-0 hammering at Gateshead, at least.

Still, however, ahead of the visit of the Poppies to north Nottinghamshire, that promise had not been rewarded with three points.

With a raft of injuries depriving the visitors several key players, there was a feeling, certainly among the home fans, that there would never be a better chance to get off the mark; the pressure was on Mansfield to produce the goods.

And they did just that by overcoming a wobble in the latter stages of the first half to eventually run out winners at a canter.

There was no denying Cox's overriding emotion come full time given the puff of his cheeks as his made his way up to the press box and remark that the success had been 'a long time in coming'.

But his relief, he insisted, stemmed more from the fact his players had earned themselves a morale boost, that they had finally got their teeth into the season, rather than any sense of personal gratification.

Another sharing of the spoils or, worse, a setback, would have done his troops no favours at all amid a busy opening August schedule. One or two players might have begun to lose then faith.

Now, though, you would envisage that they will believe that doing exactly as their manager preaches can reap a healthy reward.

On the back of an encouraging midweek display against Luton, Cox was eager to field the same starting line-up and, eventually, was able to do just that.

Skipper Adam Murray needed little persuasion to bandage up a damaged ankle to lead his team into battle, but Martin Riley's painful foot almost ruled him out, with Ritchie Sutton on stand-by to make his full debut.

Fortunately, two pain-killing injections shortly before kick-off did the trick, allowing the former Kidderminster and Cheltenham man to partner Ben Futcher in the middle of the defence.

As was the case with the Stags' opening game against Bath, Mansfield made a breezy start and it was no surprise when they went in front after 11 minutes.

As the ball bobbled around in the box following Anthony Howell's shot, Lindon Meikle squared from the left and, as a deflection carried the ball kindly into the path of Louis Briscoe, he smashed home simply from close range.

Frustratingly for the home supporters, Mansfield did not kick on from that and instead sat back.

Kettering needed no second invitation and twice came close to levelling the game.

First George Taft headed wide when he should have scored following Philip Ifil's right-wing centre.

Then, as half-time approached, Kettering full-back Ifil curled in a free-kick from deep that eluded everyone and had to be acrobatically turned over by the diving Marriott.

In between time, although not at their best, Mansfield might have gone two up as Dyer failed to connect cleanly with his volley from Briscoe's pinpoint cross, enabling Laurie Walker to make a smart save.

A half-time rollicking from Cox left his side under no illusions they had far from done enough.

And his men responded well, doubling their advantage in the 51st minute when Dyer flicked on Marriott's long free-kick and Matt Green raced through to slide a neat, angled finish under Walker from the left-hand side of the box.

With a two-goal cushion established, Mansfield's stature grew considerably and a third, which arrived in the 64th minute, was always on the cards.

Briscoe played the ball down the right flank for Green, who sped past marker Taft before playing the perfect low pass for Dyer. He did not have to even break stride to slam into the roof of the net.

Game, set and match, as they say. The only target that remained was for the hosts to record a shut-out – and they needed a bit of luck to do that.

Kettering's Moses Ashikodi unleashed a 25-yard screamer that looked a goal all the way only for it to strike the bar.

With the Stags cruising, they had the luxury to take off Murray and Riley. Their jobs, by then, had been done.

It had little effect, with Bury loanee Futcher, as has been the case in all three of his games to date, excellent at the heart of the back four.

Even more impressive was another player on a temporary stint, Green, who was terrific in everything he did.

On this evidence, Cox will be keen to keep both men for longer. They have most definitely made a substantial difference so far.

And so to today's game against Stockport, where Mansfield will be aiming to sink a former European Cup winner in Hatters boss Dietmar Hamann.

For most, if not all, of the Stags squad, that would add to the growing list of firsts


Mansfield Town 3 - 0 Kettering Town

Following Tuesday's crushing defeat at home, Kettering Town travelled to Field Mill the home of Mansfield Town looking for a much improved performance. However it was the home team that gained their first win of the season with a comfortable 3-0 victory. The Stags scorers were Louis Briscoe (11), Matt Green (50) and Ross Dyer (64).


Home Manager, Paul Cox, kept faith with the same starting eleven that had gained a deserved draw with Luton Town on Tuesday. Ritchie Sutton, returning from injury took a place on the bench.

Kettering's absentee list continues to grow. Today saw Djoumin Sangare, Nathan Koo-Boothe, Craig Dobson, David Bridges, Leon Mckenzie and Adam Cunnington all unavailable. New signing Tom Williams came straight in and Sol Davis was restored to the team as Captain with Stephen Meecham back after suspension.

Mansfield were quickly in attack and Louis Briscoe's cross from the right only just evaded Ross Dyer. Two corners followed and from the second, Martin Riley's diving header was wide of the left upright. The Poppies just could not get going at all and all the possession was with the home team. The inevitable came after only 11 minutes. Jerel and Phil Ifil both failed to clear and Lindon Meikle's low cross from the left gave Louis Briscoe an easy tap in at the far post.

Kettering's first attempt on 13 minutes saw Jean-Paul Marna's left foot shot go out for a throw in! In the next minute Joe Kendrick's free kick found Ben Futcher who planted his header wide.

The game settled for a while and Marna had another chance on 24 minutes but his shot was wild. In the next minute there was a chance for Kettering from a corner. George Taft's low shot was cleared off the line by Futcher. Kettering forced four corners and from the last one Taft headed just wide.

Tom Williams' free kick, after a foul on Marna was well over the bar. In the few minutes before the break, Matt Green's shot was easy for Lawrie Walker in the visitors' goal and Walker then saved well from Ross Dyer. In added time there was almost an equaliser. Phil Ifil curled a free kick from the left and Alan Marriott in the home goal did well to parry for a corner as the ball beat all the other players. From the restart, Taft again had a low shot, which was well blocked by diving defenders.

Despite the slow start the Poppies could have gone in on level terms.

Half Time:
Mansfield Town 1 - 0 Kettering Town

Once again Kettering conceded a goal in the opening minutes of the half. Marna was penalised for a foul and yellow carded. The free kick saw Matt Green get the better of the Ifil brothers to run through and plant a shot under Walker to double the lead.

Kettering responded with Marna's cross after 53 minutes, but Stephen Meecham made a mess of the shot and spooned it straight to Marriott. Back came the Stags and Walker made a great save, diving to his right to push a Briscoe pile-driver over for a corner. From the corner, Green had a clear chance- but headed wide.

It was 3-0 after 64 minutes. Man of the match, Green, got the better of Taft on the right and crossed low for Dyer to, again, have the easiest of tap-ins.

The game was won and Mansfield looked to contain the Poppies, which was achieved with relative ease. Moses Ashikodi was still battling however and his 71stminute shot from 25 yards beat Marriott and cannoned off the bar.

The same player got in a good low cross from the left which Marriott got down to smother. The Poppies could make no real impression and in the final moments, Ashikodi's cross from the right found no takers, and substitute, Marcus Kelly's cross from the left was saved by Marriott.

Full Time:
Mansfield Town 3 - 0 Kettering Town

Attendance: 2051 (Poppies fans 112)


Poppies well beaten again
northantset.co.uk, Saturday 27 August 2011

Kettering Town suffered a second successive heavy defeat as Mansfield Town picked up their first win of the season with a 3-0 victory at Field Mill.


Tom Williams was handed his debut on the left side of midfield as Morell Maison reverted to a 4-4-2 formation following the 5-1 home loss to York in midweek.

Mansfield started the better and they were in front after 11 minutes when, after Kettering had chances to clear their lines, Lindon Meikle got in on the left of the area and squared the ball across for Louis Briscoe to score into an empty net.

Ben Futcher headed Joe Kendrick's free-kick over soon after but Kettering gradually dragged themselves back into it.

George Taft saw his effort cleared off the line by Futcher after Williams' corner was only half-cleared and it was Taft again just two minutes later when he headed wide from a good position.

Laurie Walker made a fine stop to deny Ross Dyer but the Poppies should have been level before the break.

Phil Ifil's free-kick missed everyone and was clawed away by Alan Marriott and, from the corner that followed, once again Taft was left with a clear shot but this time Marriott saved.

But the second half couldn't have started much worse as Matt Green got into the area and beat Walker to make it 2-0.

Walker brilliantly tipped Briscoe's long-range effort over the bar soon after but it was game over on 64 minutes when Green outpaced Taft down the right and his low cross was fired home by Dyer.

The Poppies responded with Moses Ashikodi seeing his superb strike cannon back off the underside of the crossbar.

But they were unable to find a way back into things as Mansfield comfortably saw the game out.

Mansfield: Marriott; O'Neill, Riley (sub Sutton, 75 mins), Futcher, Kendrick; Briscoe, Murray (sub Worthington, 78 mins), Howell, Meikle; Dyer (sub Connor, 82 mins), Green. Subs not used: Stevenson, Redmond.

Poppies: Walker; P Ifil, J Ifil, Taft, Davis; Verma, Navarro (sub Thomson, 55 mins), Meechan Williams (sub Kelly, 55 mins); Ashikodi, Marna. Subs not used: Clapham, Noubissie, Haxhia.

Referee: Richard Clark.

Goals: Briscoe (11 mins, 1-0), Green (51 mins, 2-0), Dyer (64 mins, 3-0),

Bookings: Navarro, Futcher, Marna, P Ifil (all fouls),

Attendance: 2,051



Latest | August 2011