{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from August 2011

17th August 2011 16:14

Stags to take legal action against Ilkeston Town FC
mansfieldtown.net, Fri 12 Aug 2011

We can confirm that we are taking legal action against Ilkeston Town Football Club after an incident which led to our defender John Thompson requiring over 40 stitches to a broken nose.


Thompson, 29, was in hospital after an incident involving Ilkeston's Gary Ricketts which took place during a friendly match at the New Manor Ground on Wednesday 03 August 2011.

Fellow defenders Martin Riley and Ritchie Sutton were also taken to hospital following challenges from Ricketts.

After dialogue between the clubs, Mansfield John Radford has since seen the match DVD and has decided to issue legal proceedings


Ricketts still banned ...
Nottingham Post, Friday, August 12, 2011

ILKESTON FC striker Gary Ricketts is still suspended by the Robins so will not play in their first league game against Goole AFC.


But manager Kevin Wilson believes in-form forward Darryl Thomas can fire the club to victory at the New Manor Ground tomorrow.

Ricketts was banned by Ilkeston after he allegedly injured three Mansfield Town players in a pre-season friendly only nine days ago.

Stags defender John Thompson, who has played for Nottingham Forest and Notts County in his career, was left with a badly broken nose and needed more than 40 stitches on a nasty facial injury after Ricketts barged him into a dug-out.

Wilson would not talk about Ricketts' ban in the build-up to the Robins' first game of the new season, but heaped praise on Thomas, who has scored six goals during pre-season.

Ilkeston FC has risen out of the ashes of Ilkeston Town, after the club was wound-up in the High Court over an unpaid £50,000 tax debt and expelled from Conference North last September.

After reforming under the new ownership of Notts company SR Education, they have been reinstated into the non-league pyramid at Evo-Stik First Division South level.


Ilkeston Suspend Ricketts
Striker also given maximum fine
Tuesday, 16th August 2011. Posted by Tom Snee

Ilkeston FC today announced that Gary Ricketts' suspension will last for two weeks - and that he has been fined the maximum amount allowed within FA regulations.


The veteran striker has also been given a final written warning by Ilkeston FC as to his future conduct.

Ricketts was involved in an incident during the pre-season friendly against Mansfield Town on August 3 and the Stags issued a statement last week saying that they are taking legal action against Ilkeston FC over the injury to defender John Thompson.

Said Ilkeston FC chairman Dave Mantle: “We suspended Gary Ricketts immediately after that game to give us time to carry out a full inquiry and we have now completed that task.

“We are satisfied Gary is genuine in his remorse for his part in the injury to John Thompson and we will stand by him. However, that certainly does not mean that we condone any action that causes another player to be injured.

“This is not a decision that we have taken lightly. I have taken advice from numerous people - those involved within football as well as our professional advisors - and we believe we have taken the right course of action.

“We have been in regular contact throughout with Mansfield Town and apart from speaking frequently to chairman John Radford, I have also met with him and shown him the recording of the match.

“We have also co-operated fully with an inquiry which the FA are carrying out, and have complied fully with the FA request for information concerning the incident.”

The two-week ban means he misses the first two League games of the season. He will be available for selection as from Thursday August 18



Latest | August 2011