{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from August 2011

11th August 2011 15:49

6 Aug 2011

Chasetown 1 Mansfield Town 4
Hay 25. Smith 5, Dyer 20, 32, Flynn 40.
Att: 321


Cox delighted with 'new' Stags after friendly victory

STAGS boss Paul Cox spoke of his delight after watching his side wrap up their pre-season campaign with an impressive 4-1 win away at Chasetown on Saturday.


Mansfield sealed their fifth win on the spin with a comfortable victory against the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League side thanks to a brace from Ross Dyer and a goal each from Adam Smith and Matt Flynn.

Despite resting a number of key first-team players, including Briscoe, Murray and Connor, Stags offered too much in forward areas for their lower league opponents and cruised to the win.

Speaking after the game boss Paul Cox said: “I am very pleased with our performance today.

“In the first half we played some excellent football and created a lot of chances.

“There were some really good individual performances out there today and it has given me plenty of thought.

“As a team we are coming together well and it was a good team display.

“I did not want to pick up any more injuries following Wednesday's match and changed it around a bit.

”I wanted the players coming into the team today to show me what they could do and give me something to think about – they certainly did that.

“Chasetown are a decent side who will do well in their division this season so this is a good performance.”

The delighted gaffer was also full of praise for striker Ross Dyer, who was unlucky not to seal his hat-trick when his first half effort crashed against the post.

“Ross started pre-season rather slowly, but today was the Ross Dyer that I know,”said Cox.

“I was a bit annoyed that he didn't get his hat-trick and I told him so. He was a real handful today alongside Howell.

Stags now go into their opening fixture of the season against Bath City next season full of confidence following a highly successful pre-season build up.


Dyer states his case for Stags starting place as he shines at Chasetown
Nottingham Post, by Matt Halfpenny

IF Matt Green and Paul Connor thought they had their starting places wrapped up for Mansfield Town's season opener against Bath City, they can think again.


Ahead of the Stags' final pre-season game at Chasetown, the experienced duo looked odds on to lead the line against the Romans.

But fellow striker Ross Dyer clearly had other ideas and put a strong case forward for his own inclusion this coming weekend with an excellent display.

The powerful former Hednesford striker has not had as much game time as some of his rivals for a starting berth in 2011-12.

But he used this return to his native West Midlands to show that if he is given the nod by Paul Cox, he is unlikely to let his manager down.

A front man's first priority is to get on the scoresheet and Dyer did that twice with two well-taken goals.

In fact, the 23-year-old should really have notched a treble but was unlucky with a deft, strike that crashed back off a post and then squandered another chance when he rounded keeper Ryan Price only to have his effort cleared off the line.

But it was Dyer's all round game that caught the eye, providing a physical presence up front and also running the channels effectively to get the Chasetown rearguard turning.

He was ably assisted by Anthony Howell who, although perhaps less of a recognised finisher than his colleague, was just as much as a handful.

Cox is still keen to bring in another proven goalscorer after missing out on Tom Pope and Anthony Elding.

Yet Dyer and Howell showed they could have a significant say on Mansfield's affairs over the next few months, in addition to Green and Connor.

Not surprisingly, given what had happened at Ilkeston in midweek with Mansfield losing John Thompson and Ritchie Sutton to injury, manager Paul Cox took a no-risk approach.

He opted to rest some of his likely starters against the Romans, meaning the likes of Alan Marriott, Adam Murray, Martin Riley, Joe Kendrick and Louis Briscoe, among others, played no part.

But that just gave the chance for others to impress and almost all took it.

The Stags knew just how much of a threat Chasetown could be having been taken to a replay by the Evo-Stik League side in last season's FA Trophy.

Yet the gap between the two sides was made to look like a yawning chasm prior to the interval during which time all five goals were scored.

Things were quieter after the break, with opportunities at more of a premium.

But Cox was delighted with the way his team closed the game down rather than going gung-ho for more goals – as they did almost to their cost in an earlier friendly at Hednesford.

In fact, the boss was very positive on what he saw, with Dyer earning his own share of the manager's praise.

"The first half from us was excellent and probably the best team performance I have seen from us this pre-season," he said. "Let us not forget that Chasetown are a good side. They only lost 1-0 to Tamworth and 2-0 to Telford.

"Ross was excellent and he and Anthony looked very dynamic against experienced players.

"There were a lot of other good performances, including from the two full-backs and the central defenders.

"I am happy where we are at, but there is still more to come."

Mansfield had gone in front in the sixth minute when Dyer caused havoc on the edge of the home penalty area, allowing Adam Smith to lift a curling finish over Price.

The advantage was doubled when Adam Smith picked out Dyer bursting into the right-hand side of the box and he drilled home an expert, low finish.

Chasetown rallied to pull a goal back when Ramone Stephens' pinpoint left-wing centre was calmly headed home by Gary Hay.

But that jolted Mansfield back into life and after Dyer had hit the woodwork, he made no mistake when he got another bite at the cherry following a half-cleared Matt Bell corner, burying a drive into the roof of the net from six yards.

And after Howell's goalbound header was superbly saved by Price, Matt Flynn – the former Rochdale defender – smashed home after a knockdown from fellow trialist Nick Wood just before the interval.

Even though that was the end of the scoring, Mansfield had nevertheless found the net four times for the third game running.

How they would love to match that achievement when the action gets under way for real on Saturday


Self-belief key for Dyer's chances at Stags
Nottingham Post, Wednesday, August 10, 2011

ROSS Dyer admits maintaining confidence in his own ability is key to his chances of nailing down a first team spot at Mansfield Town this season.


The powerful striker, 23, threw his hat in the ring for selection in the Stags' opening game of the season against Bath City on Saturday by netting twice in their final warm-up game in a 4-1 victory at Chasetown.

?Dyer knows he faces stiff competition for the right to start, particularly from the likes of Matt Green and Paul Connor.

But he is well aware he has to be more bullish if he is to make a successful step up.

"The manager has put his faith in me by bringing me to the club. He believes in me and now I need to believe in myself," he said.

"The game against Chasetown helped no end because I felt good, especially just a week to go before we start for real.

"I know it is not going to be easy to get in the side, but one of the reasons I came to the club was to push myself against good players.

"We have got Greeney and Conns at the moment and there might even be another striker coming but that competition is healthy.

"We are all playing for places, but hopefully I have put myself in the manager's mind."

Dyer's view that he needs to back his own ability is shared by manager Paul Cox, who brought him in from Forest Green.

He has been a long-time admirer of the former Hednesford man from his stint as boss at Eastwood.

Cox said: "There were one or two players this summer who came in looking like they have the weight of the world on their shoulders. Ross was one of them and is a complex character.

"I have always known that he will score goals at our level but a massive part of the game is believing in yourself and that is what he has to do."


Strong Stags Stifle Scholars
Saturday, 06 August 2011
by Dave Goddard, chasetown-fc.com

MANSFIELD TOWN proved just too strong for Chasetown in their final pre-season friendly on Saturday, the Stags taking a 4-1 win with Gary Hay grabbing a consolation goal for the Scholars. Click below to read the full report.



AN ENTERTAINING friendly between two of last season's FA Carlsberg Trophy stars saw Mansfield Town battle to a 4-1 win at Chasetown on Saturday, writes Dave Goddard.

With both sides in their final friendly match before the league campaign kicks off the two teams were keen to impress, but the powerful Blue Square Premier side proved one hurdle too far for the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League men in a fine display of attacking football from both sides, Mansfield's Ross Dyer stealing the show with a superb display and two fine goals.

Just five minutes after the whistle Mansfield took the lead when Adam Smith spotted Ryan Price off his line and lobbed the ball in right-footed with Price only able to help the ball into the net.

The Stags doubled their lead on 20 minutes when a cross-cum-shot from Ross Dyer on the right was well-placed into the corner of the net, but five minutes later Chasetown would pull one back when a Gary Hay cross found welcome returnee Karl Edwards who played the ball back to Ramone Stephens. The latter crossed in from the left and found Hay who headed the ball home at the far post.

Richard Teesdale would head wide as the Scholars fought back but on 32 minutes the visitors added a third when Dyer was given too much room in the box but his right-footed drive was cleared for a corner. The Scholars defence failed to clear the resultant kick and Dyer fired the ball into the roof of the net.

Malachi Farquharson then saw a shot saved with Price making a fingertip save from Smith, but a fourth Mansfield goal came from the resulting corner when Matt Flynn headed home.

Half time: Chasetown 1 Mansfield Town 4.

Chasetown made wholesale changes for the second half but it was Mansfield who enjoyed the first chance when the dangerous Dyer rounded Price only for Chris Peel to clear his shot off the line.

Peel worked hard for the Scholars including clearing a couple of corners and sending a free kick wide, while Dean Perrow also saw a shot cleared on 55 minutes.

Jake Sedgemore fired over the bar from a Lee Parsons pass as the home side enjoyed the better of the play in the middle of the second half, while Lee Stevenson shot wide for the Stags following a free kick.

Andy Westwood saw a shot blocked by a Mansfield hand on 81 minutes with Peel sending the free kick wide, and with two minutes on the clock Sedgemore's shot went wide with keeper Shane Redmond scrambling back.

Chasetown begin their league campaign with a home game against Whitby Town next Saturday, kicking off at 3pm.

Chasetown: Price, Turner, M Branch, J Branch, Farquharson, Teesdale (c), Stephens, Parsons, Hay, Edwards, Jevons. Subs: Birch (Hay 59), Perrow (Edwards 45), Slater (Turner 45), Sedgemore (Farquharson 45), Westwood (Jevons 45), Cohen (Teesdale 55), T Robinson (Parsons 59), Steadman (Stephens 45), Peel (M Branch 45), Wiggins.

Mansfield: Redmond, O'Neill, Bell, Worthington, Flynn, Wood, Todd, Stevenson, Dyer, Howell, Smith. Subs: Briscoe, Connor, Murray, Green, Kendrick, Naylor (O'Neill 64), Marriott, Koudenba (Worthington 59).

Goals: Smith 5, Dyer 20, Hay 25, Dyer 32, Flynn 40.

Referee: Mr M D'Aguilar.

Attendance: 321


Chasetown 1-4 Stags
mansfieldtown.net, Sat 06 Aug 2011

Mansfield Town recorded their fifth successive victory of pre-season with a routine 4-1 win at Chasetown.


Stags made light work of their final pre-season match, and they could have added to their tally, with Ross Dyer in clinical form.

Dyer, scorer of two goals, had chances to bag a hat trick, but his performance nevertheless will go some distance in staking a place in next week's elite 11.

Mansfield have enjoyed a largely successful pre-season and have shown signs of promise, but it will be all immaterial if they fail to beat Bath City in next season's curtain raiser.

Stags gained the upper hand after just six minutes with their first serious charge at goal. Adam Smith, who is lacking match minutes so far this pre-season, picked his spot perfectly from 20 yards with a delicate chip which Ryan Price, the Chasetown goalkeeper ,could only palm into the net

A minute later, Ross Dyer burst down the wing before planting the ball across the face of goal but no one could connect.

On 19 minutes, Stags' keeper Shane Redmond was tested for the first time but his stop was comfortable from Karl Edwards' effort outside the box.

Stags doubled the lead just two minutes later when Luke O'Neill threaded it through to Ross Dyer who stayed onside to strike sweetly beyond Price.

Chasetown pulled one back on 25 minutes when Ramone Stephens crossed from the right and Gary Hay rose well to head past Redmond from close range.

Dyer almost had a second goal 15 minutes from the interval when Anthony Howell peeled away from his man to lay it off to Dyer who was denied only by the woodwork.

But the ex-Forest Green front man was not be disappointed when he notched Stags' third goal a minute later. Chasetown were all over the place when Matt Bell drifted in a corner and the ball fell to Dyer on the edge of the goal area to slam home.

Chasetown's keeper then had to perform acrobatics minutes before the break, diving full stretch to stop Howell's bullet header from a Andy Todd left-wing cross.

Trialist Matt Flynn got his name on the scoresheet four minutes before the interval when he found the net from close range after another Matt Bell corner.

In the second half, Dyer continued from where he left off in the first period, proving a menace inside the home box .Just two minutes after the restart, Lee Stevenson sent a first-class ball over the top for Dyer to latch on to, but his effort was stopped by Chris Peel on the line as he rounded the 'keeper.

Stags went close again on 56 minutes when Lee Stevenson nodded wide from an Adam Smith cross.

Trialist striker Odilon Koudemba then took to the field, replacing Jon Worthington as Anthony Howell switched to a midfield role and in the last 15 minutes Tom Naylor replaced Luke O'Neill.

Chasetown refused to hold aloft the white flag despite being camped in their own half for much of the second period. Peel struck wide from a 20 yard free kick with seven minutes remaining and Jake Segdemore tried to reduce the deficit with a long range drive, but it flew wide as the game came to a close.

STAGS XI: Redmond, O'Neill (Naylor 75), Bell, M. Flynn, N. Wood, Smith, Stevenson, Worthington (Kouemba 60), Todd, Dyer, Howell


Chasetown 1 v 4 Mansfield Town, Saturday 6th August - Friendly
chad.co.uk, Saturday 6 August 2011

CLINICAL Stags wrapped up their pre-season campaign with an impressive 4-1 win away at Chasetown on Saturday, reports Stephen Thirkill.


It was the fifth win on the trot for Paul Cox's side as they once again showed their attacking prowess at The Scholars.

After hitting four against Ilkeston and Boston as well as three against Hednesford, Mansfield once again hit the goal trail with the dangerous Ross Dyer leading the way.

Adam Smith opened the scoring with the sweetest of lobs after just six minutes before Dyer doubled the lead with a clinical finish on 21 minutes.

The only downside of the contest for the visitors, who fielded a mixture of first-team regulars and squad players, was their inability to keep a clean sheet.

The Stags rearguard switched off allowing Gary Hay to head home and give the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League side hope.

But there was only ever going to be one winner in this game with Mansfield looking likely to score every time they poured forward.

Dyer made it three after he smashed home a Bell corner from close range on 34 minutes before defender Matt Flynn fired home from 10 yards shortly before half-time to seal the solid victory.

Stags closed the second half out without incident and now go into their opening game of the season against Bath City next Saturday with a successful pre-season under their belt.

Stags went into their final pre-season friendly missing all three of the players left injured in the abandoned 'friendly' win against Ilkeston in midweek.

Defenders Richie Sutton, Martin Riley and John Thompson were all seriously injured after clashes with home player coach Gary Ricketts, before manager Paul Cox ordered his players off the field after 68 minutes.

A number of key first-team players incuding Briscoe, Connor, Murray and Marriott were left on the bench.

Trialist striker Odilon Koudemba was named on the bench for Mansfield Town.

After a slow start to their campaign, Stags went into the match with the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League outfit on the back of three successive wins against FC Halifax, Hednesford Town, Boston United and Ilkeston.

Stags got off to the perfect start after just six minutes with the first chance of the game when Adam Smith sweetly chipped goalkeeper Ryan Price from 20 yards to find the back of the net.

Smith was played in by Ross Dyer before unleashing the perfect lob over the head of the helpless Price.

And it was nearly 2-0 just a minute later when Dyer broke down the right flank at pace before sending in a teasing cross along the six yard box.

But Howell couldn't stretch his leg enough to tap home, before Stevenson saw his effort blocked for a corner.

Chasetown enjoyed a spell of possession and tested Redmond for the first time on 19 minutes when Karl Edwards fired a shot from distance into the stomach of the Mansfield shot-stopper.

But Stags remained comfortable throughout and extended their lead after 21 minutes when the lively Ross Dyer managed to spring the home side's offside trap.

Dyer then cut into the box from the right flank before firing hard and low across the face of goal to double Stags' lead.

Chasetown cut the lead to get back into the game four minutes later when Gary Hay powerfully nodded home Stephen's cross at the back post.

It was a sloppy goal for Stags to concede after they had built a solid lead at The Scholars.

The dangerous Dyer then crashed a curling right footed effort against the left post on 33 minutes after Howell found space before playing in Dyer.

But from the resulting corner Stags once again doubled their lead when the home defence failed to clear a Bell corner which was smashed into the roof of the net from four yards by Dyer.

It was a further example of Mansfield's growing creative threat, with Stags looking likely to score every time they went forward.

The unmarked Howell nearly made it 4-1 on 40 minutes after he connected with an outswinging O'Neill Cross.

But his bullet header was impressively saved at full-stretch by Price, before the ball was turned away for a corner.

From the resulting corner Stags made it 4-1 to wrap up the game by half-time when the fragile Chasetown defence once again failed to clear a Bell corner.

Trialist defender Matt Flynn needed no second invite as he pounced on the loose ball to drill home from 10 yards.

It was nearly five on 47 minutes when a pin-point pass through midfield by Stevenson played Dyer clean through on goal.

The sharp striker rounded the keeper coolly and looked certain to seal his hat-trick before Chris Peel lunged to clear off the line for a corner.

Stevenson threatened to extend the visitor's lead on 56 minutes when he rose well at the back post before heading Adam Smith's cross out for a goal-kick.

Moments later Howell cut across the edge of the box before firing a timid shot straight at the goalkeeper as Stags continued to threaten from all areas of the pitch.

Stags knew the match was safely in the bag as the pace of the game began to significantly slow.

Peel and Sedgemore had half-chances for the home side as full-time approached, but it was all too little too late as Mansfield comfortably closed the game out.

CHASETOWN: Price, Turner, M. Branch, J. Branch, Farquarson, Teesdale, Stephens, Parsons, Hay, Edwards, Jevons, Birch: Subs: Perrow, Slater, Sedgemore, Westwood, Robinson, Steadman, Peel, Wiggins, Cohen.

MANSFIELD TOWN: Redmond, O'Neill (Naylor 75 mins), Bell, Worthington (Koudemba 60 min), Flynn, Wood, Todd, Stevenson, Dyer, Howell, Smith. Subs not used: Briscoe, Connor, Murray, Green, Kendrick, Marriott.

REFEREE: Michael D'aguilar.



Chasetown 1 Mansfield Town 4
Nottingham Post, by Matt Halfpenny

A ROSS Dyer brace helped Mansfield Town fire four goals for the third game running as they rounded off their pre-season in style at Chasetown.


After beating Boston 4-1 and then leading 4-2 in the abandoned midweek game at Ilkeston, the Stags were 4-1 victors at Scholars Ground.

As all the goals came in the first half, striker Dyer led the way and could easily have had a hat-trick as part of a team that was largely made up of fringe players and trialists.

Former Rochdale man Matt Flynn, one of those out to impress, and Adam Smith bagged the other Mansfield goals, while Gary Hay replied for the visitors.

The result should do much to boost the Stags confidence ahead of their Blue Square Bet Premier opener at home to Bath City a week today.

After an even opening, Mansfield went front with only six minutes on the watch from the first real attack of the game.

Dyer battled for the ball with the home defence and as the ball dropped for Smith, he curled a shot from the edge of the area over the top of Ryan Price, which went in despite a touch from the keeper.

Dyer then broke away down the left and crossed hard and low, but just in front of the fast-arriving Lee Stevenson.

In the 19th minute, Shane Redmond was called into action for the first time to field a snapshot from Karl Edwards that had power but lacked direction.

Two minutes later, Mansfield doubled their lead when Luke O'Neill's pass broke the offside trap and Ross Dyer advanced into the right-side of the area before burying a low finish under Price.

But the home side were back in it in the 25th minute as Ramone Stephens centred to the back post from the right and Hay steered his header wide of Redmond.

Dyer was within inches of restoring the visitors' two-goal advantage when he picked up a neat pass from Anthony Howell and struck a finish that beat Price but came back off the right-hand upright.

But it was 3-1 in the 33rd minute when Matt Bell's right-wing corner saw players from both sides challenge before dropping kindly for Dyer, who rammed the ball into the roof of the net from six yards out.

Chasetown tried to bounce back quickly, but Richard Teesdale's volley from distance was easily snaffled by Redmond.

The Stags keeper also did well to beat away a low shot from Malachi Farqharson, who had engineered some space for himself in the box.

Paul Cox's men almost netted with half-time approaching as Price pulled off a fine save to deny Howell from a well-placed header after Andy Todd had flighted over an inviting cross from the left.

But Mansfield did bag a fourth from another Bell corner, this time from the left flank.

His delivery was only partially cleared and as Nick Wood headed the ball down, central defensive partner Flynn slammed into the left corner.

After the restart, the Stags were quickly back on the attack and Dyer was denied his hat-trick by a goal-line clearance from Chris Peel after he had rounded Chasetown keeper Price.

From the resulting corner, Wood nodded past the post from Bell's ball in when he might have done better.

Soon after, Mansfield's Jon Worthington tried his luck from the edge of the area but skied over the top.

And in the 56th minute, Smith's cross from the right picked out Lee Stevenson, who headed inches off target.

Chasetown hit back on the hour, only for Jake Sedgemore to blast too high after being teed up by Lee Parson.

With the game moving into the final quarter, Stevenson again tried his luck but failed to test Price, as was the case with a near post header from the attacking midfielder.

In the final stages, the hosts twice when close as Pell curled just wide from a free-kick and a similar outcome was the result of Sedgemore's drilled effort.

Chasetown: Price, Turner, M. Branch, J. Branch, Farquarson, Teesdale, Sptpehens, Parsons, Hay, Edwards, Jevons, Birch. Subs: Perrow, Slater, Sedgemore, Westwood, Stone, Robinson, Steadman, Peel, Wiggins, Cohen.

Mansfield: Redmond, O'Neill (Naylor 75), Flynn, Wood, Bell, Smith, Stevenson, Worthington (Koudemba 59), Todd, Dyer, Howell. Subs not used: Briscoe, Connor, Murray, Green, Kendrick, Naylor, Marriott.

Referee: Michael D'Aguilar



Latest | August 2011