{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from August 2011

3rd August 2011 22:24

30 July 2011

Boston United 1 Mansfield Town 4
Parker 67. Murray 1, 81, Briscoe pen 70, Howell 90.
Att 637 (178 from Mansfield)

video of Louis Briscoe's penalty, by Adam Reid --->

Louis Briscoe scores Mansfield's second from the penalty spot. Photo by Neil Shaw.

Joe Kendrick takes the corner from which Anthony Howell scores Mansfield's fourth. Photo by Nicole Shaw.

Anthony Howell scores Mansfield's fourth from close range. Photo by Neil Shaw.

Howell celebrates his goal. Photo by Neil Shaw.

A run to the Boston byeline. Photos by Nicole Shaw.


Stags boss hails 'shining example' Murray after friendly victory

PAUL Cox is keeping his fingers crossed that he may have both his experienced new midfield signings back fit for next weekend after both limped off during friendlies inside five days.


The Stags boss saw Paul Bolland injured at Hednesford on Tuesday night and then watched in horror as Jon Worthington took a heavy tackle in Saturday's 4-1 win at Boston United and eventually limped off.

But Cox said: “It was worrying when Jon got hurt. He took a bang to his knee. But we took him off as a precautionary measure.

“Without being disrespectful to Boston, if it has been a 'proper' match he would probably have stayed on. But, as the season, gets nearer, you sometimes have to wrap them up in bottom wool.

“Hopefully he will be fine for Chasetown on Saturday. Paul Bolland is improving too and if we get him back for the weekend too, that would be out of this world.

“Mind you I thought Lee Stevenson did well in there when he came on and gave us that impetus going forward.”

On two-goal midfield star skipper Adam Murray, he added: “I was absolutely delighted with Adam and his desire levels.

“He has showed me something different in every game. I won't name my captain until after Chasetown and there are four or five candidates, but Adam has done nothing wrong. He is a shining example to every player in our squad.”

Tom Naylor played much of the game at right back after switching with the excellent John Thompson and Cox said: “I thought Tom was 'Steady Eddie' out there today.

“I needed to see him a right back so I know who can do what jobs when injuries kick in. He never seems to let you down and you know he is 100 per cent Mansfield.”

On the game overall, he added: “I was very impressed with the victory away to a very good Boston side who will be up there challenging again.

“But it is still a million miles from where I want to be and after the game we picked holes in things we had done well and things we had not done so well.

“When you score four away from home you can't be too harsh on them. But there are areas I still want to get better in.”

Matt Green wanted to take the penalty kick he had won on Saturday but was usurped by Louis Briscoe, who netted a spot kick in midweek and bagged this one too. Cox said: “I have set it in stone that Louis is our penalty taker.

“It is a massively important part of the game and he takes them well. That's how it will stay until I feel we need to change it.”

Stags now head to Ilkeston on Wednesday night before completing their pre-season games at Chasetown on Saturday


Boston United 1 v Mansfield Town 4, Saturday 30th July - Friendly
chad.co.uk, Saturday 30 July 2011

TWO thunderbolt goals from skipper Adam Murray fired Stags towards an impressive 4-1 pre-season friendly win in the bright summer sunshine at Conference North Boston United on Saturday, reports John Lomas.


After Murray's opening first minute 'net-burster' Stags dominated against a side who made the BSB North play-offs last season.

They could have been out of sight by half-time. Instead the Pilgrims levelled on 67 minutes through Liam Parker.

Parity was short-lived as Louis Briscoe made it 2-1 within four minutes and the home side could have little argument with the result as Murray bagged another scorcher with sub Anthony Howell adding a fourth with almost the last kick of the game.

The only concern was a knock to Jon Worthington in the same week fellow experienced central midfielder Paul Bolland was also injured.

Stags began with a 4-4-2 line-up with Thompson returning to the side at right back and Kendrick at left back.

Boston, now co-managed by ex-Stag Jason Lee, included two former Mansfield players in Jelleyman and Sleath in a youthful line-up.

Stags made the perfect start as Murray found the net inside the first minute.

The Stags skipper found the ball bouncing near his feet 25 yard from goals and let fly with a dipping shot that found the top left hand corner, keeper Bastock getting a hand to it but unable to prevent it going in.

Two minutes later Bastock had to threw his body in the way of Connor's shot as the striker was afforded too much time and space in the box.

Mansfield fashioned another chance on seven minutes as Connor and Briscoe produced a sparkling exchange of volleys before Briscoe got his shot away, Bastock half-stopping it and then grabbing it before it could spin back over his line.

Boston, fortunate not to be 3-0 down, finally got to grips with the task in hand and Ogden fed Stones for a shot that proved easier for Marriott after clipping a leg en route

Then Worthington, still limping from a tackle moments before, slid in to prevent Millson going through on goal with Stones allowed a header that he sent wider from the corner.

After 15 minutes Naylor and Thompson roles and on his first raid forward as the overlapping right back, Naylor was set up nicely by Briscoe to his left but sliced a defender's finish wide of the near post.

On 22 minutes Sleath almost unlocked the visiting defence with a near reverse flick that sent Ogden clear, Marriott leaving his line to face him and getting his body firmly in the way of Ogden's stabbed finish.

Worthington had never fully recovered from the firm tackle he had suffered earlier and on 27 minutes it was decided to replace him with Stevenson.

Murray was warned for hacking at Millson as the ball ran out of play for a throw, but no card was shown.

Thompson just failed to get enough on a glancing header from a corner to test Bastock, then Jelleyman got in the way of a Stevenson shot with the Stags players claiming the ex-Mansfield defender had blocked with his hand.

Mansfield ended a good half firmly on top.

The home side, having started the afternoon with a young side, sent on more of their experienced players with seven half-time changes.

But it was the Stags who almost began the second as the first as Todd's early header onto a Briscoe cross forced a save out of veteran Bastock.

Sleath warmed Marriott with an angled 20 yard right-footed drive on 52 minutes and, two minutes later, Bastock had to get down smartly after a long cross from the left feel nicely for Briscoe at the far post.

After a shoving spat between Riley and veteran Austin had been halted by the referee, Sleath fired a poor free kick well over from a central position.

Bastock did well to block a low Todd shot but, with the keeper grounded and the ball loose, it took a great challenge from Field to do enough to put off Briscoe as he tried to find the empty net.

However, the home side were level on 67 minutes. Semple's corner was headed back across goal by Holsgrove towards Parker who saw Marriott pull off a breathtaking save from his close range header but reacted quickest to turn the loose ball over the line.

Within two minutes Stags were back ahead after Green was upended by oncoming keeper Drury as he burst towards goal to win the penalty.

There was a hold-up while Kendrick received treatment and then on 71 minutes Briscoe finally walked up to drill a low spot kick into the left hand corner.

Hall showed good footwork to beat three men in a mazy run but his finish was always curling away from the angle.

Murray ended the afternoon as he began it with another spectacular finish. Parker's headed clearance came towards Murray who, from the edge of the box, simply rocketed the loose ball high under the bar, giving Drury no chance.

Marriott was called upon to get a hand to a low finish from former Villa star Joachim as we entered the last four minutes.

But Stags underlined their superiority on the day with a fourth goal in the last minute.

Kendrick's long corner found Howell at the far post and, getting in the right position, the ball cannoned in off his leg to complete a highly satisfying afternoon.

BOSTON: Bastock (Drury ht), Fairclough, Jelleymen (Field ht), Sleath (Joachim 61), Ward (Parker ht), Austin, Deane (Semple ht), Millson (Hall ht), Stones (Suarez ht), Newsham (Milnes 61), Ogden (Holsgrove ht).

STAGS: Marriott; Thompson, Riley, Naylor, Kendrick; Todd, Murray, Worthington (Stevenson 27), Briscoe; Connor (Dyer 62), Green (Howell 73).

REFEREE: Steve Ross of Lincolnshire.

ATTENDANCE: 637 (178 away fans).


Murray sets Stags on their way
Nottingham Post

Two superb strikes from midfielder Adam Murray helped Mansfield Town to a 4-1 friendly win at Boston United.


Murray opened the scoring for Paul Cox's side inside the first minute with a 25-yard stunner into the top corner, before adding the Stags' third with a dipping volley from the edge of the box nine minutes from time.

Liam Parker had briefly given the Pilgrims hope with a 67th-minute equaliser, turning the ball in from close range after Alan Marriott had made a great point-blank save.

But the Stags then took over in the closing stages, Louis Briscoe firing home a 70th-minute penalty after Matt Green had been brought down in the box, with Anthony Howell adding a fourth in stoppage time as he turned in a Joe Kendrick corner.

The Stags now face local rivals Ilkeston FC at the New Manor Ground on Wednesday (7.45pm)

Mansfield: Marriott, Naylor, Thompson, Riley, Kendrick, Briscoe, Worthington (Stevenson 27), Murray, Todd, Paul Connor (Dyer 63), Green (Howell 73). Subs (not used): Sutton, Bell, O'Neill, Redmond.

Attendance: 637


United beaten by impressive Stags

Mansfield Town midfielder Adam Murray struck two superb efforts to help his side overcome Boston United in Saturday's pre-season friendly at The Jakemans Stadium..

30 Jul 2011 - 15:00

Jakemans Stadium

Boston United 1 Liam Parker (67m)
Mansfield Town 4 Adam Murray (1m) Louis Briscoe (70m penalty) Adam Murray (81m) Anthony Howell (90m)

Report by Craig Singleton at The Jakemans Stadium


Mansfield Town midfielder Adam Murray struck two superb efforts to help his side overcome Boston United in Saturday's pre-season friendly at The Jakemans Stadium.

Murray opened the scoring inside the first minute with a 25-yard stunner, before adding the Stags' third with a dipping volley nine minutes from time.

In between times, Liam Parker had briefly restored parity, prior to Louis Briscoe's driven penalty restoring Mansfield's lead 20 minutes from full-time — and Anthony Howell adding a fourth in stoppage time.

The match was another worthwhile exercise for the Pilgrims — against a side fancied to challenge strongly for promotion back to the Football League this season.

Jason Lee and Lee Canoville had opted to field an experimental midfield line-up, with Danny Sleath being joined by young hopefuls Harry Deane, Adam Millson and Liam Ogden.

The Stags took the lead on 59 seconds. Receiving the ball from a quick throw-in on the right-hand side, MURRAY cut infield to sail home a brilliant dipping 25-yarder which Paul Bastock could only get a hand to.

Bastock produced two good saves moments later, denying Paul Connor with his legs, before keeping out Briscoe's angled drive.

Boston's first opening fell to Mickey Stones and he saw his deflected drive held by Alan Marriott, following Ogden's cross from the left.

Stags' defender Martin Riley produced a top piece of defending to keep out Marc Newsham after the United striker had been set clear by a defence-splitting pass from Deane.

Mansfield had further chances before the break, with Connor setting an overlapping Tom Naylor clear, although he horribly skewed his effort wide, while John Thompson headed wide following Joe Kendrick's flag-kick.

Marriott also had to be alert to keep out Newsham's flying header following captain Gareth Jelleyman's looping cross.

Keeper Ricky Drury was introduced at half-time — alongside six other United replacements — and he soon saved well to deny Connor.

Danny Sleath let fly against his old club, but Marriott saved well, while Drury had to make good stops to keep out efforts from Briscoe and Andy Todd.

The Pilgrims levelled at the mid-point of the half with PARKER crashing the ball home after seeing his initial effort superbly saved by Marriott. Ryan Semple's initial corner had been headed back across goal by Kevin Holsgrove.

Mansfield roared back and retook the lead three minutes later when BRISCOE drove the ball home from the spot after Matt Green had been upended by Drury.

The Stags sealed their victory with two late strikes. MURRAY arrived right on cue to meet Todd's left-wing assist with a brilliant volley which flew in off the underside of the bar, before HOWELL ghosted in to ram home Kendrick's corner in stoppage time.

Boston (4-4-2): Paul Bastock (Ricky Drury 46); Jordan Fairclough, Tom Ward (Liam Parker 46), Kevin Austin, Gareth Jelleyman (Jason Field 46); Harry Deane (Ryan Semple 46), Adam Millson (Chris Hall 46), Danny Sleath, Liam Ogden (Kevin Holsgrove 46); Mickey Stones (Mikel Suarez 46), Marc Newsham. Sub (not used): Ben Wilkinson.

Mansfield (4-4-2): Alan Marriott; Tom Naylor, John Thompson, Martin Riley, Joe Kendrick; Louis Briscoe, Jon Worthington (Lee Stevenson 27), Adam Murraarky, Andy Todd; Paul Connor (Ross Dyer 63), Matt Green (Anthony Howell 73). Subs (not used): Ritchie Sutton, Matt Bell, Luke O'Neill, Shane Redmond (gk).



Latest | August 2011