{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from March 2010

5th March 2010 11:43

3 March 2010

Former Stags youth team coach and assistant manager to Andy King in the mid 1990's, Keith Alexander, has passed away at the age of 53.

Keith Alexander is fondly remembered here at Field Mill, and of course at Lincoln City, where he steered them to four consecutive play-offs.

While at Mansfield, Alexander also played for the first team on a few occasions
when the squad was depleted, once scoring twice in a game having come on as a
substitute at the age of 37.

All at Stagsnet, the SSA and at Mansfield Town Football Club, send their condolences to Keith's family. Martin Shaw

Full story, and tribute by Stags keeper Alan Marriott, at http://www.mansfieldtown.net/page/NewsDetail/0,,10325~1983060,00.html --->

Marriott devastated by Alexander loss
Thu 04 Mar 2010
Alan Marriott says he is 'absolutely devastated' by the passing of his former manager Keith Alexander.

Mr Alexander was youth team coach and our assistant manager to Andy King in the mid 1990's, and also played for the first team on a few occasions when the squad was depleted, once scoring twice in a game having come on as a subsitute at the age of 35. He died late last night aged 53. His last post was as manager of Macclesfield, whom he managed last night in their 1-0 loss away at Notts County.

He will be fondly remembered here at Field Mill, and of course at Lincoln City, where he steered the club to four consecutive play-offs.

Our goalkeeper Alan Marriott, who played under Keith for over five years at Sincil Bank, lead the tributes from Field Mill. He told mansfieldtown.net this afternoon. "I am absolutely devastated. It is like losing a member of my family. He was a friend as well as a former manager and somebody who I kept in touch with.

"A lot of cliches are used when people die, but I truly mean this when I say that he was one of the nicest, most genuine and honest of people I have ever met in my life and in football.

"He was there if you needed to talk about a problem. He talked to you on an equal footing and showed you respect. He was everything you wanted from a manager and a decent human being.

"He was a gentle person but you wouldn't cross him. He was quite laid-back but his man -management skills were exceptional. He showed this when we were at Lincoln, turning an average group of players into promotion contenders.

"He was quite a character off the pitch and enjoyed a giggle and a laugh.

"i have a million memories of Keith Alexander, but one that comes straight to mind is when we were playing away at Torquay. The staff and Keith went out for a drink the night before the game and he had nothing to wear but his tracksuit. He had to borrow a pair of shoes from the waiter in the hotel but still went out with a big smile on his face. He wasn't bothered by petty or material things.

"He was a fantastic person," added Marriott.


profile by Paul Taylor:
Keith Alexander was born in Nottingham in November 1956 and following a lengthy playing career in Non-league during which time he won the FA Vase with Stamford he finally made it to the Football League with first Grimsby Town, then Stockport county and Lincoln City. It was whilst he was at Grimsby that he played international football for St Lucia.

In March 1993 he was appointed to the coaching staff at Sincil Bank before taking over as manager when Steve Thompson was sacked. In the summer of 1994 he left the Imps and after a spell in Malta joined the Stags as assistant to then manager Andy King. He must have thought his playing days were over but when the Stags squad was particularly depleted he was pressed back into action at the age of 37 years 359 days, scoring twice in the Associate Members Cup tie with Crewe Alexandra at Field Mill. At the time only the second substitute to score twice for Mansfield, he is now the Stags second oldest goal scorer. During early 1995 he was loaned out to Irish club Cliftonville. He made his last appearance for the Stags as a substitute in the game with Exeter in January 1996 and in injury time he broke his leg. That really was the end of his playing days.

He left the Stags to take over the reins at Ilkeston Town, then after a spell in a similar capacity at Northwich Victoria he returned to Lincoln City as manager. In November 2003 he survived a double aneurism. He took the Imps to four successive play-offs but alas no promotion. After leaving Lincoln he had spells at Peterborough United and Bury before taking over at Macclesfield Town. He had been ill recently but was back in charge by the time the club played at Meadow Lane last Tuesday, he sadly passed away upon returning home for that match.



Latest | March 2010