{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from October 2009

30th October 2009 23:33

FA Cup fourth qualifying round
Mansfield Town 3 - 0 Altrincham
Duffy 20, 27, Perry 60
Attendance: 2410 (203 from Altrincham)

Martin Shaw and Simon Chamberlain at Field Mill

Mansfield Town sent Altrincham packing in the FA Cup with a comprehensive 3-0 victory at Field Mill. The Stags were dominant in all areas throughout the entire 90 minutes, with Altrincham providing the worst opposition seen at Field Mill this season. Altrincham were unable to handle the Stags' power up front from Duffy and Perry, or the pace provided by Dobson and Williams, and were overrun in midfield. Duffy scored twice midway through the first half, and from then on the result was not in doubt, with Perry adding a third in the second half, a just reward for a powerful man of the match display.

Stagsnet report in the Match Centre


Mansfield Town 3-0 Altrincham , Saturday 24th October (FA Cup 4QR)
CHAD.co.uk, 24 October 2009
By Tim Morrisss and John Lomas
TWO Rob Duffy goals in seven first half minutes and a Kyle Perry second half strike booked Mansfield Town's place in the First Round of the FA Cup after a comfortable win over 10-men Altrincham at Field Mill this afternoon.
Stags had been denied a clear early penalty. Alty defender Lawton first held down Stags striker Rob Duffy and then handled Paul Heckingbottom's free kick as the home side pressed for an early breakthrough in the eighth minute.

That was the only goalmouth action in a strangely subdued opening after the fireworks of two weeks earlier.

But then in the 20th minute Duffy nodded in his 10th goal of the season from a quick free kick taken by the striker. He rolled the ball to Kyle Perry, who eventually crossed for the unmarked Duffy to head in.

Seven minutes later the striker again reacted quickly to double the lead with his 11th goal of the season. keeper Coburn failed to properly control a backpass, Perry put him under pressure and Duffy nipped in to round the stranded keeper and roll the ball into an empty net.

In the 62nd minute Perry, who had played a significant role in the first two goals, got the goal he deserved to seal victory. Good work by Williams gave him space on the edge of the area and his deflected drive flew into the net.

A ragged Alty were reduced to 10-men three minutes from time when Kearney hacked down Gary Mills.

Stags fans will now be eagerly awaiting the fate of ball 54 in Sunday lunchtime's First Round draw.

Stags boss David Holdsworth had made two changes. Back came Ryan Williams, together with recent signing Craig Dobson, as the manager went for a 4-4-2 formation after two successive away wins playing 4-3-3.

Speight and Istead were the two players dropped from the starting XI for the Fourth Qualifying Round clash.

Dobson made his full debut, with seven players named on the subs bench for the cup tie.

Two weeks ago the Stags won a controversial BSP battle 2-1 at Altrincham, which saw two Alty players red carded, numerous yellow cards and a war of words between the two clubs.

Holdsworth this week tried to play down any animosity between the two clubs, but Stags chairman Andy Perry reignited the war of words in the matchday programme.

He described Alty manager Graham Heathcote as 'unprofessional'. Perry said: "I feel that some of the Altrincham fans need to look at their own manager before commenting on our great football club.

"His unprofessional behaviour at Moss Lane was what I expected. He has no right to constantly verbally abuse our players throughout the game."

Ahead of kick-off the club's new Greene-King sposnoredscoreboard was unveiled and then there was an impeccably observed minute's silence for former assistant manager John Jarman, who died earlier this week.

Just before kick-off the drizzle and dark clouds blew away as the sun finally broke through.

A long throw from the right from Clee was headed at goal by Williams but fell easily for Marriott to gather in the opening minute.

Doughty then went over on the wet, slippery surface while having a go from 30 yards and the ball flew well wide to the jeers of the home supporters.

Perry had Mansfield's first goal attempt on six minutes as he turned well inside the box but saw his finish loop up and over via a deflection and only ended up with a corner to show for his efforts.

That was cleared back out to Perry again who dinked in a high ball that Jones nodded over the bar.

On eight minutes Lawton appeared to have hold of Duffy as Heckingbottom floated a free kick towards him and then seemed to handle as the ball reached them. But the referee waved play on, despite Duffy's protests.

Silk's diving header cleared another Clee long throw, this time from the left as we waited for this game to erupt into life.

Jones had to concede a corner right in front of his own goal after a slip by Garner with Marriott confidently clutching the flag kick.

But Duffy, the man who took so much stick at Altrincham two weeks ago, provided the breakthrough goal on 20 minutes.

Pushed in the back 30 yards from goal. Duffy picked the ball up as the whistle went and took a quick free kick to Perry who made progress on the left of the box and then crossed back to Duffy who planted an eight yard header past a rooted Coburn.

Lawton appealed for a penalty for handball after drilling a penalty into the home wall four minutes later but didn't really have much of a case.

Danylyk was well wide from 20 yards after Duffy headed clear another Clee throw.

A howler from keeper Coburn gifted Stags and Duffy a precious second goal on 27 minutes.

Coburn failed to control a backpass properly and was quickly closed down by Perry and Duffy. He tried to sidestep Perry but instead of kicking clear instead laid the ball on a plate for Duffy who kept his calm to round the keeper and roll the ball into the empty net.

Perry was too high from 25 yards soon after.

But Young almost pulled one back on 34 minutes, just a minute after coming on as, with his first touch after replacing Lawton, he sent a stooping header wide from a left wing corner.

Perry needed attention after a clash of heads with Williams and was forced to change his shirt, due to blood from the wound, before rejoining play.

Little was wide of the target with a far post header from Clee's cross in the final minute of the first half.

Perry was furious in stoppage time when he went down after being pulled by Williams. There was a foul committed but as Perry had gone down so heavily, the referee decided to play on. Perry continued his protests as the sides left the field.

And there was an aggressive reception for Altringham boss Heathcote as he left the field in front of the home Quarry Lane supporters.

Altrincham were sent back out onto the pitch early by their boss for the second half.

But great footwork by Dobson almost set up Duffy for his hat-trick as he cleverly went past two men before slipping a cutting ball inside the defender to send Duffy clear and he was only just beaten to the ball by the alert Coburn.

Perry was forced to change his shirt for a third time as the blood continued to seep from his cut head.

And, while they were down to 10 men, Stags were incensed by two referee's decisions as on offside was called with three visitors playing Duffy onside, and then a foul called against Williams for what seemed a fair tackle.

There was another hold-up as boss Holdsworth was warned for something he had shouted and Perry returned to the field with the largest comical-looking bandage around his head to continue play.

There was a moment of anxiety for the home side as the ball broke luckily for Clee on the right who drilled in a low cross that Marriott hung onto.

At the other end Perry went in with the keeper and the ball trickled towards goal where Densmore had plenty of time to run in and take control.

With his work done, Duffy was given a rest on 59 minutes and Speight sent on to cause Alty new problems. And his hard work in holding the ball up immediately set up Somner with a shooting chance that flashed wide from 20 yards.

But it was 3-0 on 62 minutes as Perry was rewarded for his afternoon's work.

Williams just managed to nick the ball wide of a defender with a sliding challenge to create the opening and Perry blasted home from just inside the box, the ball sailing into the net via a deflection.

Williams headed powerfully wide from the visitors' next corner after Garner had held up Burns in the box to concede the corner when the Altrincham striker had got into a dangerous position.

A Doughty free kick then zipped through the six yard box and across the face of goal, needing just a touch to pull one back.

Soon after Danylyk was well over as Altrincham desperately looked to open their account.

Burns was screaming for a penalty after going down under Heckingbottom's challenge but it was clearly not going to be Altrincham's afternoon.

Speight went on a superb run for the home side, beating three men before firing disappointingly wide.

Doughty, one of the two players dismissed at Altrincham two weeks ago, became the afternoon's first booking on 70 minutes for dissent, presumably over the Burns penalty decision.

Somner caught Young late with a sliding tackle on 73 minutes which doubled the bookings total.

Speight's persistence saw him keep the ball in play as a defender tried to shepherd the ball out and crossed in front of goal where Williams tumbled under a challenge with little chance of a penalty.

Coburn cut out a powerful Perry cross with Speight waiting behind him and then held onto Williams' attempt to curl one beyond him from the left.

Densmore was booked for his foul on Speight right on the edge of the box. Williams then stepped over the kick and Heckingbottom curled the ball over.

The visitors' discipline began to disintegrate and when Williams' pass was a little short to Mills, Kearney dived in with a nasty challenge that saw a straight red card produced.

Speight went down after appearing to be hit off the ball holding his face but the officials saw nothing. Then, as the tackles flew in, Burns was booked for hacking down Silk.

Sturrock did well to spread play wide to the left to Mills and race for the return to cross to Williams who cushioned the ball for a Speight shot on the turn that went for a corner as we entered five minutes of time added on.

Alty boss Heathcote was jeered as he left the field at the final whistle, waving to the home fans in the West Stand - before the home side left to a standing ovation.

MANSFIELD TOWN: Marriott; Silk, Garner, Jones, Heckingbottom; Dobson (Istead 74mins), Mills, Somner, Williams; Duffy (Speight 59mins), Perry (Sturrock 80mins). Subs: Eley, Armstrong, Graham, Hotchkiss.

ALTRINCHAM: Coburn; Densmore, Smith, Williams, Doughty; Lawton (33mins), Danylyk (Bennett 80mins), Kearney, Clee (Welch 68mins); Little, Burns. Subs: Saunders, Thaker, Bryan.

REFEREE: Mr Jake Collin, of Liverpool.

ATTENDANCE: 2,410 (203)

BOOKINGS: Stags - Somner (73mins, foul). Altrincham - Doughty (70mins, dissent). Densmore (84mins, foul). Burns (87mins, foul)

SENDING OFF: Altrincham - Kearney (87mins, foul)



Mansfield Town 3 Altrincham 0
Evening Post report
MANSFIELD eased through to the first round proper of the FA Cup with a comfortable victory over Altrincham at Field Mill.


Rob Duffy set the Stags on their way with two first half goals to take his seasonal tally to 11.
Co-striker Kyle Perry put the seal on things for the Stags midway through the second half to keep up his own good goalscoring form.
Altrincham were disappointing and failed to show the same kind of fight they had when Mansfield won 2-1 at Moss Lane two weeks ago.
It was the visitors who had the first effort on goal as Robbie Williams headed straight into the arms of Alan Marriott from Nicky Clee's long throw.
A mistake by the Robins' back line let in Kyle Perry in the sixth minute but his drive was deflected over the top.
From the half cleared corner, Luke Jones headed onto the roof of the net from an inviting Perry cross.
Mansfield had strong claims for a penalty turned down soon after when the ball appeared to strike Robbie Lawton's hand from a Duffy flick, but the referee waved play on.
But the Stags were in front in the 20th minute after a piece of quick thinking by Duffy.
He was fouled as he turned and took the free-kick quickly, releasing Perry before taking up a position in the box to head home his co-striker's pinpoint centre from eight yards.
Anthony Danylyk was well wide with a hooked shot as Alty tried to respond.
But the Stags were two goals to the good just before the half hour mark after a glaring error by keeper Stuart Coburn.
He dallied on the ball after collecting a back pass and was quickly closed down by Perry.
Although he did manage to clear the ball, it went only as far as Duffy, who dribbled around the keeper to tap into an empty net.
At the other end, Burns slipped as he made his way into the box when well placed before substitute Greg Young headed wide with his first touch after coming on for Robbie Lawton.
Just before the break, Altrincham's Nicky Clee crossed from the left to the back post but Colin Little was well wide with his header.
A neat turn from Craig Dobson early in the second half gave him the chance to play in Duffy for his hat-trick, but the wingman's ball was just too heavy.
Altrincham almost pulled a goal back when Dobson was caught in possession following a half-cleared corner, leaving Clee in space.
He played a hard and low cross intended for Burns, but Marriott goal down well to cut out the danger.
Having struggled for fitness all week, two-goal Duffy was withdrawn just before the hour mark to be replaced by Jake Speight.
Mansfield stretched their lead to 3-0 in the 62nd minute with a swift break.
Ryan Williams ran at the Alty defence before releasing Perry, whose deflected shot from 16 yards found the net.
It might have been 3-1 moments later but Robbie Williams headed wide at the near post from a corner.
Burns was ignored by the referee when he appealed for a penalty as Paul Heckingbottom leant on him before Mansfield's Speight drilled wide after a determined run.
Speight's tenacity then saw him win the ball on the right byline but he lost control of the ball as he tried to carry it past Coburn and the chance was gone.
Neat play from substitute Blair Sturrock paved the way for Ryan Williams to shoot, but his curler was easy for Coburn.
The Stags won a free-kick right on the edge of the box as Speight was fouled but Heckingbottom drove well over from the resulting kick.
Altrincham were reduced to ten men with three minutes to go when Tom Kearney was shown a straight red card for a late tackle that pole-axed Mills.
It enabled Stags to coast through the five minutes of stoppage time with no alarms.


Latest | October 2009