HOLDSWORTH ON WOODHOUSE
David Holdsworth video interview ------>
Hoping for team building exercise in Peak (or Lake?) District.
On Curtis Woodhouse.
On Billy Logan and other youth teamers.
Cheltenham sign striker Richards
BBC.co.uk, 9 June 2009
Cheltenham Town have made their second summer signing, securing striker Justin Richards an one-year contract.
The 28-year-old joins from Blue Square Premier side Kidderminster Harriers on a free transfer.
"Last season he got 21 goals and played 44 games, which is nearly a one in two strike rate" Cheltenham manager Martin Allen told BBC Radio Gloucestershire.
"With Shane Duff agreeing to sign his contract it's two more pieces in the jigsaw if you like."
Richards follows David Hutton as Martin Allen's second summer signing and has been released because Harriers are under a tight financial budget.
He will aim to make a name for himself after stepping up a division, having struggled previously at league level in short spells at Bristol Rovers, Colchester and Peterborough.
But Allen is confident Richards has the hunger to successfully make the step up to league level:
"I wanted someone that wanted to prove something and come up and be excited by the challenge and not coming down, turning his nose up at coming."
"I wanted someone who wanted to come up and want to play for Cheltenham and somebody that I think has got something to prove to himself."
Richards, who started out as a trainee at West Bromwich Albion and has also played for Stevenage, Woking, Grays Athletic, Boston and Oxford United, has scored 70 goals in 261 career appearances.
Decision time for Stags midfielder Woodhouse
Evening Post, June 02, 2009
DAVID Holdsworth today admitted he may be fighting a losing battle to keep Curtis Woodhouse at Mansfield Town.
The experienced former Birmingham and Sheffield midfielder made 12 appearances for the Stags in the second half of last year.
But Woodhouse's other career as a professional boxer – which he has combined with training at Mansfield – has become increasingly important.
The former Rushden man held talks with Holdsworth at the weekend but the Stags boss concedes he is not overly hopeful of an agreement.
"Curtis has told me that if he does carry on playing then we are the club he wants to sign for," said Holdsworth.
"But we are close friends and I know the boxing career is taking a major role for him, which means it is touch and go.
"I will be talking to him again before a final decision is made either way."
Holdsworth has appointed Mike Whitlow as his head of youth development.
The former defender has performed a similar role at Notts County in the past.
Holdsworth said: "Mike comes well recommended by my brother, who played with him at Bolton and has told me of his qualities as a person.
"He adds another piece of the jigsaw to what I am trying to put together here at Mansfield.
"Mike understands my ethos and high standards – which is what it is all about."
Meanwhile, Alan O'Hare has been told he will not be offered fresh terms, while former defender Adie Moses will join Conference North side Gainsborough Trinity.
Young left-back Michael Turner has been handed a one-year deal at Field Mill with the option of a second.
Eastwood slap £10,000 price-tag on Stags target Foster
Evening Post, June 01, 2009
MANSFIELD Town will have to pay £10,000 for Eastwood Town midfielder Anton Foster.
The Stags have been given permission to speak to the 26-year-old, who captained the Badgers to UniBond Premier Division title last season.
But Eastwood chairman Rob Yong is determined to recoup the cash they splashed on the London-born former QPR trainee to sign him from Buxton last year.
And he said the Badgers will not budge on their asking price.
Foster still has a year left on his contract at Coronation Park.
And Yong said: "We will not sell him for less than we paid, it's as simple as that.
"We paid £10,000 for him last summer and Mansfield will have to pay us that to get him, but they are yet to agree to that.
"A big club like Mansfield should be able to pay that if we can."
Holdsworth tried to sign Foster when he was in charge at Ilkeston Town.
"The kid was club captain and helped us win promotion last season but I think it will be a good deal for everyone if Anton moves on," added Yong.
"He really wants to play at a higher level and we have been talking to quite a few midfielders in the last few weeks that will make us even stronger next season.
"If Mansfield pay us what we want we will not stand in his way, we will wish him well."
Stags eye Eastwood's Foster
Evening Post, May 29, 2009
MANSFIELD boss David Holdsworth today confirmed he has made an enquiry about Eastwood midfielder Anton Foster.
The 26-year-old skippered the Badgers to the UniBond Premier Division title last season after joining from Buxton.
Foster began his career as a trainee at QPR and has also played for Sheffield FC and Ilkeston Town.
Holdsworth knows all about London-born player from his time managing at UniBond League level and has spoken to Eastwood chairman Rob Yong about his availability.
But the player is understood to still be under contract, which means any potential deal could involve a fee.
"Anton is a player I like with regard to the energy and legs he gives you in midfield," said Holdsworth.
"He hasn't been playing there at Eastwood, but he can also play in a role just behind the strikers.
"I have lodged my interest with their chairman and we will have to see how it develops.
"But I am not desperate in midfield because we have already signed some good players in that area."
Another player linked with the Stags is Kidderminster Harriers striker Justin Richards.
The 28-year-old began at local club West Brom and has since played for a host of clubs including Bristol Rovers, Colchester, Stevenage, Woking, Peterborough, Grays, Boston and Oxford.
Richards fired 17 goals in all competitions at Aggborough last season and formed a deadly partnership with Matthew Barnes-Homer.
He scored in both games against Stags last season as Kidderminster lost 4-2 at Field Mill but won the return 2-0 – Billy McEwan's final game in charge.
Hitman Richards a target for Stags
CHAD.co.uk, 31 May 2009
By Tim Morriss
MANSFIELD Town boss David Holdsworth is being strongly linked with a move for proven striker Justin Richards.
The Stags manager is putting the finishing touches to his squad after a busy few weeks in the transfer market.
He is known to want a left back, another central midfielder and a striker.
Richards (28), who scored for Kidderminster Harriers in both matches against the Stags last season and netted 18 goals in total, is thought to top his shopping list.
Harriers have admitted that they expect the player to leave Aggborough this summer. The side, which finished sixth in the BSP last season, is being largely dismantled because of financial problems.
Richards would join Daryl Clare and Rob Duffy - who have both already re-signed for the Stags - in a potentially formidable strikeforce if he came to Field Mill.
Holdsworth has revealed that he has made an approach to Eastwood for their 26-year-old midfielder Anton Foster.
Foster was captain last season as the Badgers won the Unibond Premier title.
Richards open to Harriers return
2 June 09, expressandstar.com
Departed Kidderminster striker Justin Richards has refused to rule out that he could be back at Aggborough for next season.
The released forward is now a free agent after his contract expired, along with five other players released by the Blue Square Premier outfit in cost-cutting measures.
Manager Mark Yates' decision to let the former Albion youngster go was purely a financial one, after a 20 goal return in 2008/09.
But with chairman Barry Norgrove working hard on bringing fresh financial investment into the club coffers, the transfer budget could be significantly boosted before the month is out.
And with another member of the strike-force in Stefan Moore set to turn down his offer of a new deal, the stance involving Richards could change at any time.
Now the 28-year-old has admitted he would be open to a revised offer from his former employers.
He said: “I left Harriers on good terms, and I would never close the door on a return. The manager didn't have to say anything to me, I know that if he had more money available to him things would have been different.
“But the situation has to change if that were to happen.”
But Richards has warned his former boss that he must act quickly.
He said: “I have spoken to a few clubs, but I haven't made a definite decision on where I will be playing next year. It's a mixture, teams from non-league level and above.
“At the end of the day I need to get fixed up this month, pre-season starts in July and I have to make sure my future is clear before that.”
Richards still keen on Harriers
2nd June 2009, kidderminstershuttle.co.uk
STRIKER Justin Richards gave beleagured Kidderminster Harriers a boost by not ruling out a return to the club.
The 28-year-old hitman, last season's joint top scorer with 21 goals in all competitions, was one of a host of players out of contract who were not offered new deals because of Harriers' cash crisis.
However, Harriers are eager to persuade key players who guided Harriers to within a whisker of the Blue Square Premier's promotion play-offs back to the club.
The club are waiting for a much-needed £100,000 cash boost from two new investors.
Richards though is one of the summer's hot products and there has been strong interest from Harriers' Conference rivals Mansfield Town in him.
"When the season ended the manager said he could not keep me because of the money situation," said Richards.
"We shook hands and he said if there was any change that they would contact me, but there hasn't been anything yet.
"If the situation changed then I would certainly not rule out a return to the club because I was disappointed to leave. I enjoyed my time there.
"At the moment I am weighing up my options, I have had some interest from other clubs and I am in a good position.
"I am in no rush to sign for anyone and I will wait to see what happens."
One possible replacement for Richards if he joins another club is former Harriers hitman Iyseden Christie.
Christie, who has scored 36 goals over three periods for Harriers, was released by Torquay this week.
The 32-year-old left Aggborough for Stevenage Borough but was loaned out for the first half of the season to Kettering Town.
After being released by Borough he spent the rest of the season at the Gulls but only made six league appearances in total and was released this week by the seasiders.
Harriers are in desperate need of new strikers, with Matthew Barnes-Homer yet to sign a new deal and Darryl Knights the only other hitman on the club's books.
Latest | June 2009