{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from October 2008

9th October 2008 11:18

Stevenage Boro 3-2 Mansfield Town
Morison pen 45+3, Cole 64, Bostwick 80. Hurren 56, O'Connor 59.
Att: 1,517 (approx 150 from Mansfield)

Audio commentary from Radio Nottingham of Stags goals here

Martin Shaw at Broadhall Way

Mansfield Town were beaten 3-2 at Stevenage on Tuesday night. After a quiet opening 45 minutes, the Stags conceded a dubious penalty in stoppage time at the end of the first half. But two great goals early in the second half, from Hurren and O'Connor, put the Stags in front, only for a wonderful individual effort from Cole to bring the home side level. A terrible error by Paddy Gamble gifted the win to Stevenage on 80 minutes, though O'Connor missed a great chance to level on 87 minutes. The second half was fantastic entertainment for fans watching at home live on TV.

Setanta Sports TV covered the game live. Rebecca Lowe, the pitchside reporter, posed for a photo after the game

report from fcboro.wordpress.com
Boro 3-2 Mansfield
Posted by sgmboro on October 7, 2008

Well you can't say that the football isn't entertaining at Broadhall Way this season. After 6 goals were shared last weekend when Boro drew 3-3 with York, another 5 were scored tonight as Boro beat Mansfield to move into the top 10 of the Blue Square Premier for the first time this season (subject to Mansfield being deducted 4 points). After the disappointment of being beat by Torquay on Saturday, Graham Westley re-shuffled his side. Gary Mills came back into the starting eleven and partnered Lawrie Wilson in midfield. Bostwick started at right back in place of Mark Albrighton while Daryl McMahon came back surprisingly on the left. Mitchell Cole started on the right and new signing Tommy Black played in the hole.

It seemed that a lot of players were being played out of position and this showed as Boro couldn't seem to find their rhythm. The first half was very scrappy with neither side getting hold of the ball for prolonged periods. Billy McEwan had sent his side out looking for a point, with a 3 man central midfield and two wide players playing up to Mark Stallard who was the target man. Boro couldn't break Mansfield down and Maxime Chanot was marking Steve Morison out of the game. Lawrie Wilson went off injured early on after picking up a broken nose in a challenge with Michael Blackwood. He was replaced by Eddie Anaclet who slotted in at right back with Bostwick moving into midfield. Boro slowly began to get things together, but didn't really create anything against a well organised backline.

The first goal came from a penalty. Tommy Black did well to slide Mitchell Cole in and he was bundled over in the box. A slightly harsh decision to give against the Stags just seconds before half time, but after being on the wrong end of some decisions on Saturday we'll take it. Morison smashed home the penalty and Boro took a slight lead at half time. McEwan didn't return to the dugout for the second half after having a go at the referee at half time with regards to the penalty.

It didn't seem to effect Mansfield as within 10 minutes Gavin Hurren had equalised for the visitors with a long shot which surprised everyone. Hurren was given too much space by the Boro midfield and unleashed a shot which beat Day. Boro's midfield had looked settled in the latter stages of the 1st half, but Westley had now moved Bostwick out to the right and was playing Mills alone in the middle with Black in the hole. It gave Mansfield too much space and they exploited this again just minutes later when Aaron O'Connor latched onto a through ball and hit a powerful low shot past Day at his near post. Day could of arguably done better, but it was a good finish from the former Grays forward.

Boro had again conceded two goals in quick succession in the second half. Boro needed something to get them back into the game and that bit of brilliance came, thanks to Mitchell Cole. A straight forward ball found Cole who beat his marker before unleashing a fantastic volley which nestled into the far corner. A great finish from a player who seems to impress when in front of the cameras. That goal seem to give Boro belief and Mansfield were again on the back foot. Morison had a good chance to put Boro in front, but his header was well saved. The winning goal was not far away though when Daryl McMahon's free-kick was not dealt with by Gamble and Bostwick followed up to give Boro the lead. Poor goalkeeping, but a good follow up by Bostwick. Mansfield had another chance late on when Anaclet didn't clear, but O'Connor somehow shot wide.

In the end though Boro held on for the 3 points. Overall, Boro may have just shaded it, but it wasn't the convincing performance I was hoping for after the defeat at Torquay. In the first half too many players were being played out of position and this effected the flow of the game. Westley is still tactically inept, as he was in his first spell. The difference this time around is that he has match winners in his side like Cole and Morison and if they are playing then Boro will always have a chance.
report from stevenageborofc.com

Stevenage Borough 1 Mansfield Town 0
Morison 45 (pen) Hurren 56
Cole 65 O' Connor 59
Bostwick 80

Stevenage Borough overcame a resilient Mansfield Town at Broadhall Way on Tuesday evening with a second half performance that ensured all three points in front of the Setanta cameras. A first goal in a Stevenage shirt for Michael Bostwick was the difference after a thunderous penalty from top scorer Steve Morison and a stunning strike from Mitchell Cole had restored parity.

There was a shuffle in personnel with Michael Bostwick moving to right back to replace Mark Albrighton, Mitchell Cole moved to right midfield allowing room for Borough new boy Tommy Black to make his debut up front. Daryl McMahon returned to the side after his ankle injury while Gary Mills also started with Lawrie Wilson replacing the benched Peter Vincenti and John Martin who was absent from the side.

The first half was one of few chances and it was Borough who came the closest to taking a lead in the game. A McMahon cross floated in close to the goal was not claimed well by Paddy Gamble as the ball slipped through his fingers, and he will have felt fortunate to only concede the corner.

From there, it was half chances only with only a spattering of goalmouth action. Wilson was brought off near the 15-minute mark after injury forced him off and, Eddie Anaclet replaced him.

Meanwhile Cole had a shot blocked, Bostwick shot over, damaging the scoreboard in the process and McMahon had his effort saved after a shout went up for handball against Mansfield which wasn't given.

Mansfield had their best effort when Aaron O'Connor shot wide from 25 yards. For Borough Morison could have put them ahead when he stuck out a boot to try and steer Oliver's header past Gamble but he couldn't connect.

It was Borough who took the lead on the stroke of half time. Cole was put through by a wonderful ball from Black. Maxine Chanot ran into the back of Cole bringing him down and the referee thought about it, before pointing to the spot. Morison stepped up to fire a hard penalty past Gamble and send Borough into the second half a goal to the good.

If the first half was quiet, the second was explosive. Cole and Morison both had efforts before Gavin Hurren equalised. Left outside the area, and given the freedom to make his choice, he struck his shot low past Chris Day to level the score.

Things went from bad to worse when a Mills header went backwards for Nathan Arnold to pass to O' Connor who shot through Day's legs to send the Town fans into raptures. Borough endeavoured to start the fight back and after Bostwick headed over Cole scored with a stunning strike from the angle of the area.

Gamble managed to keep out another Morison shot, while Bostwick was getting closer to the target after shaving the crossbar with his latest header. With ten minutes remaining he hit the target at last and it turned out to be vital. After Gamble fumbled McMahon's free kick Bostwick was on hand to poke the ball home.

That goal ensured three points for Borough. Morison shot wide, while minutes before the end Gamble did well to keep Mansfield in with a shout of a point. After saving from Cole he also turned away Blacks effort. Mansfield felt aggrieved at also having Chanot sent off for a second bookable offence.

It was the perfect response after the defeat against Torquay, and now Borough will be looking to avenge their defeat from August as they travel to Eastbourne on Sunday in search of another three points.

Stevenage Borough: (4-4-2) C Day – M Bostwick, L Oliver, R Henry, S Laird – M Cole, L Wilson (Sub: E Anaclet, 14), G Mills, D McMahon – T Black, S Morison. Substitutes Not Used: A Bayes, M Albrighton, A Thomas, P Vincenti. Booked: Mills, Anaclet, Bostwick
Attendance: 1517


Latest | October 2008