{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from July 2008

31st July 2008 19:56


from Ollerton Town website

Match report written by Liam Kent

Ollerton Town kept up their impressive build up to the new season with a draw against Mansfield Town. The stags fielded their youth team against Ollerton, who unlike the Conference side enjoyed moving up the leagues instead of going down them in the last campaign.

Mansfield fielded Ollerton born Conor Higginson who put his side in the lead after just two minutes, Tom Naylor took a quick free kick from inside his own half and Higginson beat Neil McClafferty to the ball then rounded him and tapped the ball into the empty net.

The visitors held out to just before the half hour mark but there keeper was finally beaten by Lee Wilson's strike. Ollerton then started to test the youthful team and had them on the back foot. Even if they did break free it was cut short by the erection of the linesman's flag.

Ollerton took the lead a few moments later, the stags didn't deal with a free kick and Ricky Chambers slammed the ball home from short range. Suddenly just before the whistle for the end of the first period the heavens opened and a crowd of over 100 swiftly piled into the memorial stand behind the goal to escape from the heavy rain.

As the teams re emerged for the second half, the weather cleared which helped the playing conditions however Mansfield still found themselves on the back foot, Chambers shot didn't test the goalkeepers ability but Stags couldn't even get a shot away.

Brad Wells delivered a crisp cross from his freekick and someone should have got to it but unfortunately they didn't and it went out for a goalkeeper's ball.

As the clock ticked closer to the ninety minutes Stags became more desperate and brought on substitutes to try and shake things up, one of them changes was Andreas Loannavo who netted the equaliser after good work from Ben Turner.

Zac Webster tried to get the winner but his volley hit the ground before bouncing into the keeper's gloves.

McClafferty saved Logan's effort in the concluding minutes and Higginson missed the resulting rebound to keep the scoreline level and the Walesby lane outfit happy with their pre-season performance.


Latest | July 2008