BUXTON / PRE-SEASON LOOMING WITH 8 PLAYERS
Holland hopes on new trio
Evening Post, 27June2008
Former Notts favourite Mark Stallard, Andy Campbell and Alan O'Hare are three players Paul Holland says he wants at Mansfield Town.
But the would-be Stags boss warned the trio may be forced to seek an alternative club if they are not offered deals by the start of next week.
Derby-born Stallard, 33, scored 69 goals in 201 games in two spells with the Magpies and was released by Lincoln at the end of last season after two years at Sincil Bank.
Fellow front man Campbell, 29, played for Middlesbrough as a youngster in the Premiership.
He has since played for six Football League clubs - including Cardiff City where he was brought for just under £1m.
He scored ten goals in the Blue Square Premier for doomed Halifax last season.
Irishman O'Hare was released by Chesterfield at the end of last season having made more than 150 appearances.
The 25-year-old left-back or central defender began his career as a trainee at Bolton.
As yet, Holland has been unable to offer any new contracts while takeover negotiations continue between current owner Keith Haslam and potential buyer Colin Hancock continue.
"All three are players I have spoken to and they are aware of the situation at the club," said Holland. "But they can only be patient for so long because they have to earn a living and have families to consider. I wouldn't be surprised if they signed for other clubs."
Stags' takeover date still not set
Evening Post, 26 July 2008
Mansfield Town are refusing to set a date for the completion of the proposed takeover by Dr Colin Hancock.
After a deal was verbally agreed with owner Keith Haslam over the weekend, it was set to be formalised on Monday.
But nothing concrete has yet been signed - although talks between the two parties are continuing.
Chief executive Stephen Booth said: "As we have said before, we will not be making any further comment until a deal is done. It will be completed as soon as is practicable."
Fans are becoming increasingly frustrated as a manager for next season has yet to be appointed and the club have not been able to begin work on putting together a squad, as they look to bounce back into the Football League at the first attempt.
Paul Holland, who took over at the end of last season, still hopes to be in charge for the Stags' first season in the Blue Square Premier Division.
Meanwhile, his hands are tied when it comes to making new signings or negotiating new contracts with Stags' players.
Holland said earlier this week: "I have not spoken to Colin about if I fit into his plans. I have got no problem if he wants to get in touch with me to talk over his views."
Buxton's league lifeline decision
Evening Post, 25 July 2008
Jake Buxton is being chased by two League Two clubs - but the Mansfield defender is still weighing up his options.
The Stags' club captain last season has not yet rejected the offer of a new deal at Field Mill.
But he has made it known he is keen to move on in a bid to avoid dropping into non-league football.
If Buxton leaves he would command a fee despite being a free agent because he is under the age of 24, so cannot leave on a Bosman free transfer.
Mansfield were initially looking for a figure believed to be in the region of £20,000 for Buxton.
But it is understood that Stags are now looking for £5,000 up front and the rest when the former youth product reaches a set number of appearances.
It is that scenario has seen interest in Buxton intensify, with the dates most clubs return to pre-season training fast approaching.
Mansfield boss Paul Holland knows there is a strong likelihood Buxton will leave, but has left the door open for the central defender.
He said: "Bucko has made it known that he wants to stay in the League, but if he doesn't get offers then there would be no qualms about him playing at Mansfield."
Holland insists he is not yet aware of any interest in fellow defender Alex John-Baptiste, transfer listed at his request at the end of last season
Pre-season training looming with just eight players
CHAD.co.uk, 24 July 2008
PAUL Holland tomorrow enters the final seven days before pre-season training with just eight players and no guarantee on his own future.
The Stags boss is in an impossible situation at Field Mill and said that the club now has to give the green light to bring players in before the weekend, whatever the state of the proposed takeover.
"Somewhere down the line a decision has to be made and it needs making this week," he said.
"I don't want to come back in for pre-season training on Wednesday with just eight players. It sends out the wrong signals to players already here and makes those very important first few days very hard.
"Ideally I would like to have an absolutely packed weekend meeting players and sorting contracts.
"My target would be bringing in at least six or seven new faces by Wednesday.
"I spoke to all the players I want to bring in again at the start of this week and they are all still very keen. I have told them I will have some news for them by the end of the week. They can't wait forever.
"All I want to do is get a good squad together so we can have a good season. If Colin Hancock does take over then I will be straight in to see him as he will have a very big say in it all.
"It would seem the deal is very, very close to being done without being finalised."
Latest | July 2008