{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from March 2007

27th March 2007 19:05

The Stags youth team lost 2-1 to Shrewsbury on Monday night (26Mar07) in the Midland Youth Cup.
Report from official Shrewsbury site (thanks to Carole for getting it)

Mansfield Town 1 Town 2

Town are through to the final of the Midland Youth Cup after a 2-1 win away to Mansfield Town in extra time.

It wasn't the prettiest of games but Town's defence were solid and rarely tested during the game.

The visitors did create a number of chances but some indecision in front of goal saw the chances go begging.

In extra-time Town's fitness showed and some clever substitutions by Nigel Vaughan saw Dan Evans come off the bench and notch twice.

After the game Town manager Nigel Vaughan was pleased to see his young lads in the final of the competition: "It was a brilliant win and it's the second time in three years that we've been in the final of the Midland Youth Cup, especially after getting beaten in the first round by Walsall last year.

"It wasn't the best of performances or games to look at and I thought we were a bit sloppy at times.

"We were the best side in the first half although we didn't create that much or set plays were good, and to be fair to Mansfield they dealt with our two centre-forwards very well.

"In the second half Mansfield took the game on possession and I though they were the better side.

"We had chances with Moss, Morris and Williams getting through and should have really done better, we tended not to be positive and checked back too much yesterday when we had the chances.

"I thought everybody did well in the game but Ross Draper and Shane Sutton at the heart of the defence did well, Jaz did well in goals and we were quite solid at the back all night with Morley and Dean doing well.

"Rob Dean got into a little bit of a scrape and got booked and then he flew into a silly tackle and I made a substitution as I thought he might get sent off, I brought Zac Armstrong on and he hasn't played for a while but he did really well and I might play him on Saturday.

"Before the game David Jarvis of Mansfield came up to me and asked if we'd rather go into extra-time or go to penalties. Steve Wheatley, James Wigley and myself always work the lads hard as they've got to have that fitness to step into the reserves. We asked for extra-time so with the score level at full-time we went into extra-time.

"In extra time we looked the stronger side and our fitness showed over the 120-minutes.

"Dan Evans had come on as a sub and he's been doing well at Ludlow Town on loan and it was good to have him back, we've played a diagonal ball in which Dan has got onto the end and finished, I don't know how he finished as everyone's jumped up off the bench in front of me.

"Then in the second period of extra-time Chris Morris has got down the line and put in a good cross, Ellison went for the ball but it's fallen for Dan Evans, he's taken a touch and hit it into the back of the net and we are 2-0 up.

"We could have killed the game off but we've given a silly free-kick away in the midfield after Callum Wright pushed the lad when he didn't need to, then Chris Morris hasn't done his job and got back to cover, the balls come back out to their lad whose overhead kicked it and it's in.

"Chris had done well all game as had everyone else but we've got to make sure that we are disciplined for the whole 90 or 120-minutes.

"We then had a period of 3 or 4 minutes when we were under a lot of pressure as Mansfield came at us, and it was probably good that they got that goal back so late on.

"The other quarter final hasn't been played yet between Chesterfield and Walsall who are both doing well in the league, the winners of that then play Grimsby Town who beat Chester City in the last round."


Latest | March 2007