{ the news }
Stagsnet wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
Archived News from March 2007

11th March 2007 10:26

Notts County 0 – 0 Mansfield Town
Attendance: 10,034 (4,047 from Mansfield)


Martin Shaw at Meadow Lane

Mansfield Town fantastic travelling support of over 4000 fans were rewarded with a battling performance in a 0-0 draw at Meadow Lane this afternoon to extend the unbeaten run to 5 games. Both sides had one goal correctly disallowed, but the Stags had a blatant penalty claim turned down. However a draw was probably a fair result.

Before the game a plane circled Meadow Lane with a banner proclaiming 'MTFC for Sale. Haslam Out'. It was an extraordinary sight as it flew around between 2pm and 3pm and then flew away at kick-off. Meanwhile nearly twice as many Stags fans turned up to the game as turned up to the home game with Chester on Tuesday, a clear message to Keith Haslam that there are so many Stags fans who simply refuse to put money into his pocket (by attending home games) as long as he remains at the club. Chairman James Derry commented after the game that he took the plane stunt with a pinch of salt, and that he wished the money spent on the plane had been put into the club instead.

Stagsnet player ratings now in the Match Centre.

Man of the match: Alex John-Baptiste

Observer report by Steve Hartshorn

Notts County 0 Mansfield Town 0
Notts County's biggest crowd of the season, including a fan-tastic over 4,000 from Mansfield saw a derby-day game that had almost everything, except goals. The Stags and County both had efforts disallowed and Stags had penalty appeals turned down but in the end a draw was possibly the right result.
Stags boss, Billy Dearden, returning for the first time to one of his former clubs made a number of changes to the side who had beaten Chester City at Field Mill in midweek. Captain, Buxton was back in the defence for Hjelde, Hamshaw in for Arnold and Gritton up front in place of Conlon, who had returned home to Ireland due to a family problem.
The home side, who had previously not won for five games, were first out of the blocks and looked hungry for a good start and in former Stags, Mendes they had the first attempt on goal, but it was saved easily by Jason White.
Mendes was involved again seconds later when he again out fought Mullins and exchanged passes with Parkinson, but this time his effort was blacked and cleared.
On six minutes, Dudfield earned Notts a corner which was taken short, Hunt then saw his effort blocked, earning County two more corners, which were dealt with ease by Mansfield's rearguard.
Mendes was causing problems for Mullins and after yet another foul by the Stags defender, the referee gave Mullins a few stern words about his conduct.
On 15 minutes, Stags, slightly against the run of play, thought they had taken the lead. Brown clipped the ball forward where Gritton headed towards goal and Hamshaw steered the ball home. Unfortunately Hamshaw was adjudged to have been in an offside position.
Stags were now becoming to create chances and from a corner, Hamshaw eventually crossed over but Gritton headed high and wide.
In the 28th minute, it was County's turn to have a goal ruled out. A free kick by Ross was headed towards goal by Edwards, White saved but Hunt came barging in forcing the keeper to spill the ball, Hunt then put the ball into the back of the net. That then started a melee involving Buxton and Hunt and half a dozen other players. When order was restored both Buxton and Hunt received a stern telling off from the Referee.
Deeney came to County's rescue when he dived bravely at the feet of Dawson who looked to have got on the end of a fine through ball from D'Laryea, his effort though rolled just wide of the mark.
County were playing a high line defence and Simon Brown was continuously being caught offside. The Stags striker was lucky to escape without a booking when on two occasions he carried on playing when the referee had clearly signalled play to stop.
On 41 minutes there was a double shout for a penalty for the Stags. Matty Hamshaw took on several County defenders and his run took him into the area where he was clearly upended by Hunt, The ball then broke loose and Dawson was then hurt by a challenge from White, but neither appeals were given.
With just a minute on the clock before the half time break, Notts should have scored. A break down the right saw Pipe cross the ball towards Dudfield but he failed to get a firm contact on the ball and as it flashed across goal Edwards strained to get a killing touch.
The 2nd half saw County once more begin the brighter as McCann fired high over the bar and Baptiste charged down an effort from Parkinson.
Deeney then punched away a Hamshaw free kick, only for the ball to land at the feet of D'Laryea, who saw his effort blocked as the game went from one end of the pitch to the other.
Hodge then went on a run which saw the County defence open up in front of him but his shot was blocked and went out for a corner.
Stags earned another corner moments later but as the ball came out to Dawson, his effort flew wide of the target, Brown unable to get a decisive touch in front of goal.
On 62 minutes, Hamshaw won a challenge in midfield that gave him a chance to run at goal, unfortunately Brown got in the way, touched the ball and the offside flag went up immediately.
Three minutes later Brown had the best chance of the game; a clipped ball from Hamshaw saw the Stags striker time his run to perfection, but hesitation on where he was going to put the ball allowed Deeney to stretch out a leg and save his effort.
On 68 minutes, Brown was replaced by Michael Boulding as the action began to get hotter and hotter.
On 69 minutes, White came out to try and claim a Parkinson cross, he failed to do so but when the ball fell to the head of Mendes, all he could do was head over the net.
N'Toya replaced Mendes on 70 minutes as both sides tried to find the breakthrough.
With 15 minutes to go, Mansfield were the side who looked more likely to score the opener but for all their possession they were still short in the last third. Arnold was then introduced for Dawson who had taken a kick and was slightly injured.
Boulding had a shot blocked and Hamshaw saw his on target free kick saved by Deeney.
Jonathon D'Laryea required treatment for a twisted ankle and was replaced for the last three minutes by Danny Reet.
The last chance of the game, deep into five minutes of added on time saw a shot from Hamshaw fall onto the head of Boulding, but Deeney was able to save.
It is now just one defeat in their last six outings for Mansfield who have moved up to 11th in the table, just eight points behind Wycombe Wanderers who sit in the last play off spot. This weekend, Stags take on struggling Boston United at Field Mill

CHAD report:
Honours even on derby day
It was honours even on derby day as Stags and Notts County failed to score at Meadow Lane this afternoon.
But it was a fifth game unbeaten for Mansfield who stay above their fading county neighbours who have now failed to win in six games.
Both sides did have efforts rightly disallowed in a tight first half and Mansfield had two penalty shouts denied in successive tackles in the County box.
The Stags stepped up a gear after the break and enjoyed good spells of pressure but were unable to breach the Magpies' defence.
Simon Brown had the best opportunity when he was sent through one on one with Saul Denney from Matt Hamshaw's through ball, but Deeney's legs saved the day.
In a carnival atmosphere, Mansfield were roared on by a magnificent travelling army of 4,047 supporters among the bumper 10,034 crowd who tried to suck the ball into the net in the second half.
At the other end Stags keeper Jason White was positive and centre halves Jake Buxton and Alex John-Baptiste were magnificent in front of him as they shut out the Magpies.
Stags skipper Buxton was passed fit after spending the week nursing a knee injury and replaced Hjelde in the centre of defence.
Hamshaw was restored to the right wing at the expense of Arnold while Conlon, who had returned to Ireland due to a family problem, was replaced up front by Gritton.
Notts were without suspended goal ace Jason Lee.
Stags certainly got off to a flying start before the kick-off as some enterprising Mansfield fans flew a plane over Meadow Lane for an hour before the game trailing a banner stating: 'MTFC for sale. Haslam out!'
Notts kicked off on a well worn surface with very little grass on it and created the early danger as former Stags man Mendes out-muscled Mullins in the box to create an opening which saw White need two attempts to hold his powerful shot.
Seconds later Mendes again beat Mullins to the ball and played a one-two with Parkinson before this time seeing his shot blocked.
Dudfield's trickery won County a sixth minute corner which was taken short and worked into the box where Hunt's deflected shot trickled wide for two more successive corners which were comfortably defended by the visitors.
Dudfield was lucky not to be booked for a blatant dive in the Mansfield penalty box.
Mendes was giving Mullins a hard time down the left and Mullins received a lengthy warning for a late tackle on the winger.
Stags had created little but thought they had taken the lead on 15 minutes.
Brown's chip was headed goalwards by Gritton where Hamshaw turned the ball home from close range. But Mansfield were denied by an offside flag against Hamshaw.
A Hamshaw corner was helped goalwards by Buxton where Mullins could not control the ball in time for a shot and Notts conceded another flag kick.
That was cleared back to Hamshaw whose chip found Gritton only for the striker to fail to get over the ball and send a tame header looping over from seven yards.
It was County's turn to have a goal disallowed on 28 minutes. A Ross free kick was chipped into the box, Edwards' header was saved by White who was then clattered by Hunt, spilling the ball and Hunt put the loose ball into the net.
But the foul was spotted and Buxton and Hunt clashed angrily before players from both sides raced in for a 'handbags' shoving session.
When that had died down Hunt and Buxton were lectured by referee Mr Miller.
A through ball from D'Laryea almost put Dawson in, Deeney going down bravely as Dawson slid in, doing enough to put off the Stags man as he poked wide.
White was booked on 34 minutes for a meaty 'local derby' tackle that upended Brown.
John-Baptiste tried to put Brown away with a long through ball. But Brown was caught offside and very lucky not to be yellow-carded for trying to chip the ball home after the whistle had gone.
Ridiculously, Brown then did exactly the same two minutes later after being caught offside from a D'Laryea through ball and this time Mr Miler's patience was exhausted and Brown was rightly booked.
Hamshaw went down in the box on 41 minutes after contact from Hunt but no penalty was given and there was then a hold up for treatment to Dawson who was hurt in the subsequent tackle by White as Hamshaw went down, which also brought calls for a penalty.
Notts threatened a minute from the break as Pipe overlapped Parkinson down the right and crossed. Dudfield should have got his flicked header on target but failed to get the best of contacts and it passed harmlessly wide of the far post with Edwards straining to get a touch.
The two minutes of added time had already expired when Notts forced a late corner. But Stags held their nerve to clear and go in all square.
Notts were again first to threaten as McCann cut inside and fired over the crossbar. Then John-Baptiste did well to get a block in as Parkinson tried to get a shot away.
Deeney could only punch a Hamshaw free kick as far as D'Laryea who had a shot charged down.
Silk replaced Ross for Notts on 53 minutes.
Superb skill by Hodge saw him create space on the edge of the box for a shot that deflected wide for a corner.
Another corner followed which Deeney fisted away to Dawson who crashed a low shot goalwards, Brown getting the final touch as the ball ended up wide of the post.
On 58 minutes Parkinson showed great tenacity to win the ball 20 yards from goal before slicing a shot well wide of the far post.
Twice in quick succession Brown was caught offside from promising through balls.
Brown then cost Stags a great chance of going ahead on 62 minutes. Hamshaw had won the ball and would have gone clear. But Brown, in an offside position, got in Hamshaw's way and had a touch which saw the flag go up immediately.
County replied with a corner which White punched out to the edge of the box where Smith, at the second attempt, saw a rasping shot deflect over for another corner.
Brown missed the chance of the game on 65 minutes. Hamshaw's chipped through ball put him in on goal as he finally timed his run to perfection. But a second's hesitation as he weighed up how to finish saw Deeney able to stretch out a leg to deny him.
Notts quickly won a corner as the action hotted up end to end.
On 68 minutes Brown was replaced by Michael Boulding.
A minute later White left his line for a Parkinson cross but was beaten to it by Mendes who flicked a difficult header over the gaping net.
It was his last action as N'Toya took over from Mendes on 70 minutes.
It was Mansfield exerting all the pressure as the game entered the last 15 minutes, though they were not testing Deeney.
So Dearden threw on the lively Arnold for Dawson.
A high Mullins ball was nodded down by Gritton towards Boulding whose shot was blocked. Then Deeney was well placed as Hamshaw whipped in a free kick on target.
Two more Mansfield corners followed as Stags piled on the pressure and a promising Gritton run ended with a tame low shot at the keeper.
There was a delay as D'Laryea required attention on a leg injury and he was eventually helped off by the physic, Reet coming on for the last three minutes.
The game eventually entered five minutes of added time.
Stags forced a corner which was cleared to Hamshaw whose shot at goal saw Boulding help on with a header which Deeney was safely behind.
And that proved to be the last half chance as the big game spoils were shared.
Stags will now wait for news on their injuries as they prepare for the visit of Boston United next Saturday.


Latest | March 2007