{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from December 2006

13th December 2006 8:40

Doncaster Rovers 2 - 0 Mansfield Town
McCammon 23, Heffernan 50
Attendance: 5338 (app 550 from Mansfield)

Doncaster make most of timely opening
By Peter Gardner

Doncaster Rovers (1) 2 Mansfield Town (0) 0

Doncaster are to give their new stadium a launch to remember after qualifying for a lucrative third-round FA Cup visit from Premiership Bolton on Jan 6.

It will be the second game staged in their 15,000-capacity Keepmoat Stadium, which opens with the visit of League One Huddersfield on New Year's Day.

Doncaster adequately accounted for a modest Mansfield in this second-round replay at the antiquated Belle Vue, their home for 84 years, as Mark McCammon delivered his fourth goal of the season and substitute Paul Heffernan claimed his eighth.

It was sufficient to overcome the League Two side, who had been denied victory in the opening game thanks to Brian Stock's last-minute equaliser.

There was little chance of an upset last night, as Doncaster adapted well to a surface that was almost waterlogged. A neat through-ball from Paul Green enabled McCammon to cut through an exposed defence and open the scoring after 23 minutes.

Early in the second half Gareth Roberts forced Carl Muggleton, the Mansfield goalkeeper, to save hurriedly. Muggleton had no chance, though, when Heffernan scored from 18 yards, his shot taking a deflection.

Match details

Doncaster (4-2-3-1): Smith; Streete, Lee, Lockwood, Roberts; Stock, Green; Price (Heffernan 30), Coppinger, Forte (Guy 68); McCammon (Thornton 82).
Subs: Dyer, Wilson.
Mansfield (4-4-2): Muggleton; Buxton (Mullins 45), Hjelde, Baptiste, Jellyman; Arnold, D'Laryea, Coke, Hamshaw; Barker (Beardsley 80), Brown (Boulding 68).
Subs: White (g), Lloyd.
Booked: Coke.
Referee: K Friend (Leicestershire).


Mansfield Felled; Rovers 2-0 Mansfield Town

By Glen Wilson
Date: 13/12/2006

Another match another victory; Doncaster's current form continued tonight with a third straight win making it ten matches since defeat for the Rovers. A resounding 2-0 win over Mansfield Town securing Rovers progression to a third round date with Bolton Wanderers at the new Keepmoat Stadium.

Ten days ago Rovers needed a late late Brian Stock goal and a huge ricochet off a Mansfield player's arse to remain in the metaphysical hat for the FA Cup third round. Tonight however Rovers turned in a much more convincing and professional performance to ensure that a third round tie became a reality. Solid in defence and much more flowing going forward Rovers tonight not only ensured a progression to the next round, but also reminded the supporters just what their team is capabale of.

The continued presence of James Coppinger in midfield is clearly a welcome boost to Rovers play as it encourages the team as a whole to spread out more on the attack. Proof if it were needed could be seen in much of Rovers key chances tonight, as the flanks proved both a valuable outlet and source in Rovers attacking play. The first telling chance in either half came from the wings; in the first half Gareth Roberts and Coppinger combined to send a ball across goal from the left that was fired over the bar by Jason Price, while in the opening minutes of the second half Jonathan Forte chipped a ball across goal from the right that bounced out off the far post and only a decent save from Carl Muggleton denied the onrushing Gareth Roberts a first Rovers goal.

The opening goal always looked like being Rovers' and so it was midway through the half; Stock bringing the ball into the Mansfield half before threading it through to Mark McCammon who took it in his stride before firing low past Muggleton. A well taken goal and a sign too that Rovers were keen to outfootball the visitors. That said, Mansfield probably should have had an equaliser on the half hour mark, and no doubt would have done had Richie Barker, cutting in from the right, elected to shoot on sight instead of first dribbling through the Rovers back line; a combination of blocks from Graeme Lee and Adam Lockwood managed to deny this, the clearest goal opportunity Mansfield would fashion all night.

With only a third of the game gone Rovers had already used one substitute with Paul Heffernan replacing an injured Price just before the half hour mark. Heffernan would have Rovers best chance of the remaining quarter of an hour before the break as a sweeping move down the left flank involving Coppinger and Jonathan Forte ended in Heffernan having a shot on the turn blocked by a defender. 1-0 at half time, but for once with Rovers, not so much a cagey 1-0.

Rovers looked like adding to their tally from the moment the second half began and moments after Gareth Roberts' effort they did just that; the ball was pulled back to Heffernan from the right hand side and just inside the bos he hit a shot under pressure that squirmed inside the post to double the lead. Three goals in three for Heffs... all coming from the subs bench too. From then on it wa showboat stuff; Coppinger dusting off the party turns, Theo Streete's Dancing Feet, and a determined back line that snuffed out any Mansfield attack before it had chance to even begin. All of which means Bolton will be the second visitors to the Keepmoat Stadium in January and Sean O'Driscoll is no doubt feeling a touch of the A-Team; "I love it when a plan comes together."

Man of the Match: Such is the quality of Adam Lockwood at present that had any other player had the game he had then they would be a shoe in for this accolade. Instead we'll look elsewhere; Mark McCammon got the nod from the match sponsors, but credit where its due to my choice; Theo Streete. Filling in for the established James O'Connor at right back the young Derby defender was confident both at the back and going forward, so much so we were treated to the first performance of the all new sideshow; Theo Streete and his Dancing Feet... coming to a theatre near you soon.

Rovers: 4-3-1-2; Smith; Streete, Lockwood, Lee, G. Roberts; Coppinger, Green, Stock; Forte (Guy); McCammon (Thornton), Price (Heffernan)

Mansfield Town: 4-4-2; Muggleton; Buxton (Mullins), Hjelde, Baptiste, Jellyman; Hamshaw, D'Laryea, Coke, Arnold; Barker (Beardsley), Brown (Boulding)

CHAD report:
Stags bow out of Cup
THERE was to be no giantkilling fairytale as Mansfield Town bowed out of the FA Cup 2-0 at League One neighbours Doncaster Rovers on an historic evening at Belle Vue last night.
But, after last weekend's poor showing against Bury, Peter Shirtliff will have been much happier with his side's display last night as they battled well against an in-form higher league side that has now gone 10 matches unbeaten.
On a tricky, sodden surface, Stags found themselves behind at the break to a 23rd minute Mark McCammon strike during this milestone final evening match at Belle Vue before Rovers move to their magnificent new stadium up the road in the New Year.
To win this replay was always a big ask for Shirtliff's men and when Paul Heffernan added a second just after the break Stags might have crumbled.
Instead, to their credit, they dug in and battled hard in a largely scrappy game but couldn't find a way past a powerful defence.
So the hopes of a money-spinning home third round tie with Premiership Bolton Wanderers went up in smoke for Mansfield who have now only won once in seven games and badly need a result at Barnet this Saturday.
Mansfield made one change, dropping Boulding to the bench and bringing in exciting youngster Arnold to play right midfield, Hamshaw switching left.
Mansfield confidently knocked the ball around in the early stages in front of a packed ground for this historic occasion.
Buxton did just enough to prevent Forte reaching a Stock cross on five minutes as Rovers threatened for the first time.
But on nine minutes they came desperately close as Green crossed low from the left and Price was unmarked at the far post, seven yards from goal only for the Rovers man to lash it horribly wide.
Stags scrambled clear a corner then Hjelde cleared a dangerous Price cross at the second attempt as the pressure began to rise.
On 18 minutes Rovers came close again as a poor clearance from John-Baptiste rolled straight to Stock who sent his first time finish wide from 16 yards when he should have hit the target.
Mansfield finally had a shy at the home goal on 22 minutes as Hamshaw saw a 15 yard effort deflect wide off Price for a corner after Rovers has cleared crosses from both flanks.
But Doncaster broke through on 23 minutes. Stock fed to McCammon in the box and he showed good feet to push it past a defender and then poke home low past Muggleton from 12 yards.
The dangerous Price limped out of the action on the half-hour, Heffernan replacing him.
On 31 minutes a poor pass in the box by a home defender saw Barker hold on too long before trying to get away a finish, his shot being blocked, and Arnold then seeing his follow-up also blocked.
Then a long Hamshaw free kick on 39 minutes from the right by Hamshaw picked out Barker but he could not get the header on target at the far post.
Muggleton came to Stags' rescue on 41 minutes as Forte fed Heffernan into the box where he dinked inside John-Baptiste and got in a low shot that the keeper beat aside for a corner which John-Baptiste headed clear.
Mansfield had a massive let-off within two minutes of the restart when a loose John-Baptiste clearance rolled to Stock in the box. He lifted the ball over Muggleton only to see it come back off the far post and Muggleton was there to turn aside Roberts' follow-up shot.
However, the home side's positive start to the second half was rewarded with a second goal on 50 minutes. Street's long throw from the right was touched down by McCammon for Heffernan to lash home a finish inside Muggleton's right hand post from 12 yards.
Streete tried an ambitious 35 yard low effort which was never going to beat Muggleton.
A great low cross from Jelleyman caused havoc in the home box, the ball bouncing around until Hamshaw had a low shot blocked. It rolled to Coke who took possession before going down easily looking for a penalty he was never going to get. When play stopped Coke was shown a yellow card.
A superb long ball over the top by Brown was controlled by Arnold on his chest but Roberts was there to lean on him and prevent him getting a shot away.
But Stags were really digging in at this stage and looking for a way back.
Both sides made a change on 68, Boulding on for Brown for Mansfield while the pacey Guy took over from Forte. The Stags sub quickly made an impact as he went past three opponents before Lee blocked his finish.
Stock had a shot deflect wide for a corner with 17 minutes to go as Doncaster tried to wrap the game up.
D'Laryea at least forced an easy save out of Smith five minutes from time from a Hamshaw corner.
Boulding also headed a Mullins cross at Smith in stoppage time but by then it was a lost cause.
DONCASTER: Smith, Forte (Guy 68), Lee, Price (Heffernan 31), Stock, Lockwood, McCammon (Thornton 82), Roberts, Streete, Coppinger, Green. Subs not used: Dyer, Wilson.
STAGS: Muggleton, Jelleyman, D'Laryea, Hjelde, John-Baptiste, Hamshaw, Barker (Beardsley 80), Brown (M. Boulding 68), Buxton (Mullins 45), Coke, Arnold. Subs not used: White, Lloyd.
REFEREE: Kevin Friend of Leicestshire. ATTENDANCE: 5,338
GOALS: Doncaster - McCammon 23; Heffernan 50.
CAUTIONS: Mansfield - Coke 61 (simulation); Mullins 77 (foul on Coppinger).
Match Report from official Doncaster site:

Heavy rain earlier this afternoon left the pitch soft and in places water was stood thus causing the groundsman and his helpers to spend time forking the pitch. Both teams know the prize for winning this replay, a game at home to Premier League Bolton Wanderers. For tonight's game, the Rovers showed two changes from Saturday. Ben Smith returned in goal because Leeds United won't allow Neil Sullivan to be cup-tied and Theo Streete replaced an injured James O'Connor. Adam Lockwood and Brian Stock have apparently recovered from knocks received on Saturday but with some important games coming up it is essential the Rovers don't get any more injuries. The Rovers defended the Rossington end in the first half.

Mansfield set the game in motion and spent the first couple of minutes in the Rovers half but didn't cause any problems. On 5 minutes a good run by Coppinger set the Rovers on the attack but nothing was gained. After 8 minutes play a good link-up down the left between Gareth Roberts and Coppinger led to a cross going across the face of the Mansfield goal. McCammon couldn't get to it so it ran to the right where Price miscued wide. On 14 minutes. a lob into the Rovers six yard box from Brown was caught by Smith for his first real touch of the ball. Good work by Forte on the left after 18 minutes had him able to put a low cross into the middle where a poor clearance out of the Mansfield defence landed at Stock's feet but he blasted wide. The pitch was cutting up now causing the odd problem with ball control. A good attack by Mansfield caused a few flutters in the Rovers defence before Mansfield won a corner. On 22 minutes, a good passing movement by Rovers led to Stock sliding a ball through for McCAMMON to collect, take on for a couple of strides before stabbing hard and low past Muggleton in the visiting goal. Mansfield came back to win a corner and pressed hard but the Rovers defence cleared for Price to go down the right and cross to McCammon in the middle. Although he got his head to the ball it was a shade too high to get any direction, the ball going wide. With 31 minutes gone, the Stags had a good chance when Barker came in from the right but took so long to line up a shot that Lee was able to get to him and block the shot. Out it went to Brown but Gareth Roberts put his body on the line and blocked again. The ball was eventually cleared. Minutes later, the Rovers won a corner but Mansfield came out of defence with the ball with Hjelde but, with two on two he put his pass, meant for Brown, out of play. As half-time got nearer a sweeping move by the Rovers had Coppinger starting it from his own half with a ball down the left for Forte, who took it on before passing inside to Heffernan. He turned his man but then had his shot blocked for a corner to the Rovers. Forte had a crack from 30 yards a couple of minutes later but was well wide. The break came with Rovers leading by a single goal.

The Rovers took up where they had left off when the second half started. Minutes in and Forte, from the right byline, chipped for goal, the ball hit the far post and came out . Gareth Roberts was first to it but his blast from 10 yards was well saved by the keeper, Muggleton at the expense of a corner. Then, five minutes in and the Rovers stretched their lead when HEFFERNAN, in the penalty area, latched on to a cross from the right and shot in as he was tackled by Baptiste. The Stags certainly didn't lie down and fought hard to get something from the game but the Rovers defence were on top of their game and snuffed out most of their efforts. Smith didn't have a lot to do but at the other end Muggleton was in action as the Rovers tried to add to their tally. The only thing they did add to was their injury list, with Price and Forte going off injured. The match ran down to it's close with the Rovers running out comfortable winners by two clear goals. The pitch at the end was so churned up at the end that it resembled a ploughed field. So, bring on Bolton Wanderers in the new Stadium.

Teams - ROVERS - Ben Smith; Theo Streete, Adam Lockwood, Graeme Lee, Gareth Roberts; James Coppinger, Paul Green, Brian Stock, Jonathan Forte; Mark McCammon, Jason Price.

Subs used - Paul Heffernan for Price 29 mins; Lewis Guy for Forte 68 mins; Sean Thornton for McCammon 82 mins;

Subs not used - Bruce Dyer, Mark Wilson.

Mansfield Town - Carl Muggleton; Jake Buxton, John Hjelde, Alex Baptiste, Gareth Jellyman, Matthew Hamshaw, Jonathan D'Laryea, Giles Coke, Nathan Arnold; Richard Barker, Simon Brown.

Subs used - John Mullins for Buxton 45 mins; Michael Boulding for Brown 68 mins; Chris Beardsley for Barker 80 mins;

Subs not used - Callum Lloyd, Jason White gk.

Cautions - Hamshaw, Mullins,


Latest | December 2006