{ the news }
Stagsnet wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
Archived News from November 2006

11th November 2006 20:25

Mansfield Town 1 - 0 Accrington Stanley
Barker pen 43
Attendance: 2909 (171 from Accrington)
There was huge irony at Field Mill on Saturday as Richie Barker scored the only goal for Mansfield to progress to Round 2 of the FA Cup. Mansfield fans were not slow to let Chief Executive Keith Haslam know their thoughts as they chanted "Haslam Out" and "One Richie Barker" throughout the game.

There was more irony as the Stags had missed two penalties against Accrington at Field Mill earlier in the season.

Full reports and reaction to follow
Fans behind Barker as he books FA Cup passage
CHAD website
FA Cup first round: Mansfield Town 1 Accrington Stanley 0
AFTER a week in which there was intense speculation over his Field Mill future, it was almost inevitable that Stags skipper Richie Barker would be the FA Cup hero as his goal knocked out visiting Accrington Stanley this afternoon.
Barker's 11th goal of the season - a 43rd minute spot kick - did the trick on an afternoon when strong, swirling wind made it hard going for both sides.
But it was Barker's rumoured move to Hartlepool that was the talk of the town before and during the game with renewed chants against chief executive Keith Haslam during the first half from the home fans.
Stags made two changes with Danny Reet among the substitutes after taking a bang to the head last weekend, and Dawson also dropped to the bench.
Michael Boulding returned to play left midfield with Jelleyman dropping to left back and Beardsley made only his fourth start of the season, his second against Accrington.
However, the visitors' side was threadbare with six regulars missing through injury, illness and suspension.
Mullin and Welch at least passed late fitness tests for them.
Mansfield began well and Dunbavin failed to grab a Boulding cross in the opening seconds, Harris hooking clear, and then Barker overhit a cross from the other wing, all within the first minute.
Already there was chants from sections of the ground against chief executive Keith Haslam after midweek rumours that the club were prepared to let skipper and top scorer Barker leave.
A Doherty free kick caught on the wind and sailed through
everyone dangerously into the safe hands of Muggleton.
Ventre was booked for unceremoniously halting Boulding's burst down the left on nine minutes.
Dunbavin, the hero of Accrington's September visit, made his first save on 10 minutes, blocking Mullins close range finish at the far post after a Hamshaw free kick had got through to him.
Dunbavin needed some treatment before he could continue.
Over came the first of three successive corners, the third of which saw Barker get in a vicious goal bound volley which flattened Welch who was in the way.
While he was treated there were more anti-Keith Haslam chants and a resounding chorus of 'one Richie Barker' from the stands.
Doherty was given room 20 yards from goal but sliced a shot well wide. Mullin was closer a minute later when he glanced a header over the bar from a Doherty left wing cross.
Beardsley was not too far away with a 20 yard rocket as Stags continued to press.
Mangan got a head onto a Doherty cross but it was just too far away from him to be able to guide it on goal.
Muggleton had his first real save to make on the half hour as he parried a powerful 20 yard Craney effort.
The game then seemed to lose some of its pace as the sides struggled with the windy conditions.
But Stags were handed a 43rd minute lead on a plate when Ventre handled a high Jelleyman ball into the box to concede a penalty.
Up stepped Barker to blast home down the centre against a keeper that had saved two spot kicks at Field Mill just six weeks earlier, one by Barker.
Muggleton made another fine stop in time added on as Ventre crashed in a curling effort from over 30 yards which the keeper turned away, diving to his left.
Stanley forced two quickfire corners in the opening minute of the second half and Craney had a low shot deflect just wide from the first.
Dunbavin did well to hold on to a 26 yard thunderbolt from Boulding on 50 minutes.
McGiven replaced Ventre for the visitors on 56 minutes.
Accrington almost levelled three minutes later when, from the right hand side of the box, Mullin fired a low shot across the face of goal and wide of the far post.
Stags attacked down the right through Hamshaw and his pass fed Mullins who crossed low for Beardsley to turn superbly and get in a hard low shot which Dunbavin managed to block.
Todd was booked after lunging at Coke when he clearly had no chance of reaching the ball on 64.
With the keeper well off his line after a scramble Mullins had a shy at the empty goal from 25 yards but was well over. Coke took a knock to the head during the scramble and required treatment.
Craney burst into the Mansfield box on 69 minutes before dipping a good effort just over the bar.
Dawson came on for Boulding on 74 minutes as Stags found themselves under a lengthy period of Accrington pressure.
Dunbavin did well to punch away a floated Beardsley cross at the far post. But Barker was already steaming in and, with the ball gone, collided heavily with the post, requiring treatment.
Reet replaced Beardsley in the Stags attack for the last 11 minutes and Brown came on for Hamshaw at the death as Stags hung on to what they'd got and looked forward to the second round draw.


Latest | November 2006