{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from September 2005

21st September 2005 0:52

Mansfield Town 1 - 0 Southampton
Coke 68
Attendance: 3739 (354 from Southampton)

Martin Shaw at Field Mill

Mansfield Town made it a Championship double by dumping Southampton out of the Carling Cup at Field Mill, having disposed of Stoke City in the first round. And there was no doubting that the Stags deserved their success against the South Coast club with the only goal coming from Giles Coke. Southampton made 11 changes from the side that had played on Sunday and had a team of promising youngsters but it was 18 year old Coke, probably the youngest player on the pitch, who stole the show.

Stagsnet player ratings now in the Match Centre.

The Stags beat Championship side Southampton 1-0 tonight to progress to Round 3 of the Carling Cup for the first time in 11 years.


Managerless Mansfield bounced back from boss Carlton Palmer's resignation to stun Championship side Southampton and progress in the Carling Cup.
Giles Coke scored the winner after 68 minutes, taking Simon Brown's pass to beat hesitant keeper Paul Smith.

Kenwyne Jones and Dexter Blackstock missed chances for the visitors, with veteran keeper Kevin Pressman defiant.

Saints pressed in the closing stages, but the Stags held on to give caretaker boss Peter Shirtliff a vital victory.

Managerless Mansfield were handed a wonderful tonic in the Carling Cup as a second-half strike from Giles Coke secured a memorable 1-0 win over Coca-Cola Championship Southampton.

Carlton Palmer had resigned as Stags boss after the weekend's League Two defeat to Rochdale, leaving Peter Shirtliff in temporary charge for the second-round clash, but the home side shook off their league worries by recording their first win against the Saints since February 1960.

The visitors had started the game at a frantic pace and after only 90 seconds, Kenwyne Jones forced Kevin Pressman into a point-blank save before Dexter Blackstock flashed another effort wide.

Blackstock had another great chance to put the Saints ahead on the half hour, only for veteran Pressman to come to Mansfield's rescue.

The Stags came out revitalised after the break though and soon started to dominate things. Simon Brown was at the hub of a series of impressive attacks and was unlucky to see a 60th-minute shot tipped over by Paul Smith.

However, Brown soon became the architect slipping through a ball which begged to be cleared by the Southampton goalkeeper. But Smith decided to stay on his line, allowing Coke to race through and score, to the delight of the home crowd. Saints tried in vain to fight back but Shirtliff's men hung on for a famous win.
CHAD report:
Saints go marching out - Carling Cup: Stags 1 Southampton 0.
PETER Shirtliff got off to the perfect start as Stags caretaker boss as they claimed a second Championship scalp with victory over Southampton at Field Mill last night.
Teenager Giles Coke picked the perfect time to net his first senior goal which shot down the Saints on 68 minutes.
The last time Harry Redknapp suffered cup heartbreak at Field Mill was back in 1969 when he was part of the West Ham side that Stags famously beat in the fifth round of the FA Cup.
This may have been a less auspicious occasion, but it was just the tonic Mansfield needed after their recent troubles.
Stags eventually dominated in the second half and fully deserved their win, but they had keeper Kevin Pressman to thank for three first half saves.
Caretaker manager Shirtliff made two changes with Jon Hjlede suspended and Gus Uhlenbeek dropped to the bench.
He brought in Peers to play right back, Birchall up front, with Brown switching to right wing, Jelleyman to left wing and Talbot reverting to left back.
The visitors made a full 11 changes from the side which played Derby on Sunday and fielded a side of fringe players and youngsters.
Saints might have grabbed a second minute lead from a long clearance by keeper Smith.
Stags allowed it to bounce as it went into their box, Jones muscled his way into a position to poke a goal-bound shot which came back off Pressman, and striker partner Blackstock lifted his follow-up over the bar.
John-Baptiste's timely sliding tackle halted Blackstock in the box.
For Mansfield, Barker was well over with a first time effort from a low Peers cross.
The home side began to enjoy some possession and on 20 minutes forced a corner which ended with Brown wasting the ball at the far post with time and space, lifting it harmlessly over.
There was more danger for Mansfield when McCann's free kick was headed across the face of goal by Blackstock, but the ball was headed clear.
The game had lacked real chances since that early scare, but Pressman pulled off another excellent save on 33 minutes to keep the visitors out.
Folly got to the line and pulled over a cross which found Blackstock's head six yards from goal and Pressman parried well.
Barker did well to reach what looked a lost cause and cross, Birchall just unable to get his head on it right in front of goal.
Mansfield finally tested Smith on 40 minutes as Coke's astute diagonal ball set Birchall free. He looked up but, with no real support, he tried a shot from a tight angle on the right and his blast was turned aside by the keeper.
Pressman had another save to make in first half stoppage time as he got his body in the way of Cranie's 25 yard drive and the ball bounced off him to safety.
Kenton's challenge was just enough to put off Barker and force the Stags man to fire wide in the first chance of the second half.
Then a Jelleyman cross from the left passed agonising inches away from the lunges of both Barker and Brown in front of goal.
But Southampton should have gone ahead on 50 minutes when Jones picked out Delap right in front of goal but, although the former Derby man got a touch, he couldn't steer the ball on target from six yards.
Jones planted a firm header wide from a McCann cross soon after, but Stags replied with a stinging low Brown shot that Smith got down to at his near post.
McLachlan was cautioned for scything down Folley on 55 minutes and then Brown tried his luck from 30 yards but the ball would not dip soon enough.
Then a Brown cross saw Jelleyman's far post header saved while, soon after, Brown cut inside but fired well over.
Stags began to grow in confidence and Saints survived a couple of scrambles.
Coke was unlucky to see his huge effort from near the centre circle drop just wide.
But the big breakthrough came on 68 minutes. Brown's through ball saw Coke speed away before lifting the coolest of finishes over Smith into the net for his first senior goal.
Pressman was comfortably behind Day's errant backheader from Cranie's cross.
But it was Mansfield looking the most likely to score now, and McLachlan saw a shot take a deflection and force a save from Smith amid another scramble.
STAGS: Pressman, Peers, Jelleyman, Day, John-Baptiste, Barker, Birchall, Talbot, Coke, McLachlan, Brown. Subs: Uhlenbeek, Buxton, White, Rundle, Littlejohn.
SOUTHAMPTON: Smith, McCann, Jones, Cranie, Delap, Baird, Kenton, Folly (Walcott 73), Blackstock (McGoldrick 81), Mills, Dyer. Subs: McNeil, Tejera, Gillett.
REFEREE: Brian Curson of Leicestershire.
attendance: 3,739.
SCORERS: Stags - Coke 68.
CAUTIONS: Stags - McLachaln 55 (foul on Folly). Southampton - Kenton 38 (foul on Brown).


Latest | September 2005