{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from August 2005

24th August 2005 12:18

Mansfield Town 1 - 1 Stoke City
AET. Mansfield won 3-0 on pens.
Jelleyman 16. Brammer 11 (pen).
Attendance: 2,799 (586 from Stoke)

1-0 Barker scores
1-0 Brammer hits crossbar
2-0 Day scores
2-0 Hoefkens saved by White
3-0 Jelleyman scores
3-0 Duberry missed

Gareth Jelleyman had played 143 games in his career before this season and never scored; he broke his duck tonight after 16 minutes - Martin.
CHAD report:
Stags celebrate penalties glory
Carling Cup first round
Mansfield Town 1
Stoke City 1
(Mansfield won 3-0 on penalties)
MANSFIELD TOWN pulled off a sensational penalties success against Championship high-flyers Stoke City at Field Mill last night.
The sides were locked at 1-1 after extra time before Stags gave Stoke a lesson in penalty taking, as Richie Barker, Rhys Day and man of the match Gareth Jelleyman all found the net in the shoot-out, with Stoke failing to net one.
Dave Brammer, who had earlier netted a penalty, saw his kick hit the bar.
Carl Hoefkens saw his kick saved by Jason White, before Stoke's hopes ended as Michael Duberry ballooned his spot-kick over the bar.
Jelleyman's first career goal on 16 minutes had wiped out Brammer's 11th minute penalty and Stags had more than held their own against a full-strength Stoke side, and came the closest to a winner when Simon Brown hit the post on 100 minutes.
This victory is a timely boost as Stags head towards a tiring three games in seven days.
Mansfield employed a 4-4-2 with Beardsley partnering Barker up front, Jelleyman on the left of midfield and Uhlenbeek on the right with Coke and John-Baptiste in the centre, and Talbot in at left back.
The home side should have taken a second minute lead when Stoke failed to clear their first corner. The ball eventually rolled for Day to have a stab from eight yards. But Simonsen thrust out a hand to parry.
Referee Mr Salisbury showed he would stand no nonsense after only eight minutes when Sidibe was shown a yellow card after petulantly bouncing the ball when a throw-in decision went against him.
John-Baptiste was well off target with a first time poke after Jelleyman had touched Uhlenbeek's long cross towards him.
But disaster struck after only 11 minutes. Buxton send a header towards White. But it was always going to fall short and as Sidibe latched onto it and touched it wide of the keeper, White's challenge brought him down.
Mr Salisbury was lenient this time in not even showing White a card. But Brammer stepped up to tuck away the spot kick into the bottom left hand corner.
Stags were certainly lucky White wasn't shown a red with no sub keeper on the bench to bring on.
Soon after giving away the spot kick, Buxton tried to make amends but headed over from an Uhlenbeek cross.
However, Stags were level within five minutes of going behind. John-Baptiste hoisted in a cross from wide on the right and Jelleyman steered a superbly placed header beyond Simonsen from 12 yards.
He almost added to his tally within two minutes as he curled a 25-yard free kick just over the far angle.
Stoke won a free kick 20 yards from goal. But when the ball was rolled to Brammer he blazed over.
At the other end Jelleyman's skill set up Beardsley and Henry had to produce a smart challenge to prevent him finishing.
Halls and John-Baptiste were lectured for a confrontation, even though John-Baptiste did nothing other than be struck in the chest by the Stoke man.
A neat Stoke move on 32 saw Kolar cross from the left and Buxton do just enough with his challenge to force Sidibe to glance his header wide.
It was end to end stuff and a long Uhlenbeek cross picked out Beardsley at the far post, whose powerful header was clutched above his head by the safe hands of Simonsen.
Buxton made a brilliant interception to prevent Dyer getting onto a chipped through-ball from Harper as the half ended all square.
City made a double half-time swap, taking off Kolar and the injured Halls and bringing on Buxton and Gudjonsson.
Stoke almost made a sensational start as, after a defensive mix-up, Sidibe found Harper who cut inside three defenders before curling a low just shot wide with White rooted to the spot.
Uhlenenbeek found John-Baptiste but the Stags youngster needed two swings at the ball and still sent it well wide.
Stags held firm during a lengthy spell of Stoke keep-ball and were defending comfortably.
Stoke's Buxton was booked for fouling Barker on 67 minutes.
Mansfield swapped Dawson for Coke and soon after Brown came on for Beardsley.
In between substitutions, Stags were screaming for a penalty when Sidibe brought down John-Baptiste but the free kick was given just outside the box.
Russell replaced Dyer for Stoke for the last 13 minutes.
Brown broke well down the right and curled in a dangerous low cross which curled agonisingly ahead of Barker as he slid in.
Then another Jelleyman free kick deflected over for a corner, which sparked a good spell of home pressure.
Uhlenbeek took another free kick from the left hand side which bounced just wide of the far as Stags finished the 90 minutes on a high.
A rare Stoke chance saw Talbot treated for an injury after he went into a crucial tackle on Sidibe in the area as we went into extra-time.
Stoke had the first chance as Russell flicked a header wide from Buxton's cross.
Dawson's superb crossfield ball found Peers who fed Brown, but his finish was well over.
Stoke had another half chance as Henry hooked well over under pressure.
But Stags came desperately close when Brown struck the near post after racing away on Uhlenbeek's through ball on 100 minutes.
Stoke came close when Gudjonssen rolled the ball into the box for Russell to blast first time just over. Russell was then too high from long range as the half ended goalless.
Stags went for broke and sent on Birchall for Talbot on 107 minutes and within four minutes he was booked for a foul.
Russell again had a pot but this time scuffed a 20 yard shot straight at White. Harper also pulled a shot wide from the same distance.
Birchall hit the Stoke side netting from 20 yards on 115 minutes as the game petered out into penalties.
Stoke City official site
by Bob James

Mansfield: White, Peers, Day, Buxton, Jelleyman, Uhlenbeek, Coke (Dawson, 65), Baptiste, Talbot (Birchall, 106), Barker, Tipton, Beardsley (Brown, 68).Subs (not used): McLachlan, Jacobs.

City: Simonsen, Halls (Buxton, 45), Hoefkens, Duberry, Broomes, Harper, Henry, Brammer, Kolar Gudjohnsson, 45), Dyer (Rusell, 75), Sidibe.Subs (not used): De Goey, Taggart.

City's dismal recent record in the Carling Cup continued at Mansfield after an undistinguished performance led to defeat in a penalty shoot-out.

It may have been a cruel way to go out, but there can be no doubt that a win would have been undeserved. Mansfield were the better side throughout.

City created so few chances that it looked as if a penalty was the only way they would score, but after going ahead with a Dave Brammer spot-kick on ten minutes, they failed with each of the three shoot-out attempts

Kevin Harper made his first start of the season on the right flank in City's only change from Saturday as City looked to progress against their Division Two opponents.

The home side, despite a very ordinary start in the league, seemed up for the game and were clearly not overawed, creating a good chance after just one minute when centre-back Rhys Day, staying upfield after a corner, put in a shot which the diving Steve Simonsen managed to get a hand to, allowing the defence to clear the danger.

Whereas City were slow out of the blocks, the Stags were harrying and hurrying, but with their first attack, in the eleventh minute, the Potters took the lead when 'keeper Jason White brought down Mamady Sidibe after the striker had nodded the ball over a defender and was racing into the area.

Dave Brammer confidently slammed home the spot-kick low to the right of White, who could consider himself lucky to remain on the pitch.

Nevertheless, the goal was against the run of play, but far from discouraging the Stags, it seemed to inspire them to greater efforts, and they equalised after just five minutes thanks to generous defending.

Gus Uhlenbeck, who caused problems down the left side of City's defence throughout the match, put over a good cross which was met by Gareth Jellyman, arriving in space from the opposite wing.

His powerful and well-placed header left Simonsen with no chance of saving and the City defence was left to reflect that loss of concentration had cost them dearly.

Mansfield continued to dictate play, with City finding it impossible to provide a good service to their strikers as the home side got behind the ball quickly when City tried to make progress.

A half-hit shot from Chris Beardsley almost wrong-footed Simonsen, but after half an hour City finally began to string some passes together and their best move of the match should have resulted in a goal. A sweeping move ended with Martin Kolar putting in a good cross from the left which Sidibe failed to covert.

City, however, failed to create another chance for the rest of the half, as the former pattern resumed, with the home side's main threat coming from the right, and City failing to match the tempo of their opponents.

Johan Boskamp made two substitutions at the break, bringing on Lewis Buxton for John Halls who had taken a knock at the end of the first half, and Toddi Gudjohnssson for Kolar. The Icelandic international took his pace on the wide right with Harper switching to the left.

The changes, however, made little difference as the home side continued to snap at City's heels like terriers.

The few chances which the Potters had to put in telling crosses were wasted, with most of the game played in the City half.

Creativity was conspicuous by its absence with the Potters more intent on survival.

Their best hope seemed to be that the Stags would run out of steam. Broomes was still having a torrid time against Uhlenbeek, but the City defence, despite giving away several free-kicks in dangerous positions just outside the box, managed to hang on with Carl Hoefkens and Michael Duberry in constant action in the middle of the rearguard.

Darel Russell made a welcome return as substitute for Bruce Dyer, but it was still the Stags who looked more likely to score as extra time loomed.

In the first period of extra time, City went as close to scoring as they did all the match when Russell burst through to take Gudjonsson's excellent pass in his stride to shoot just over, but this was after Stags substitute Simon Brown had almost sealed the tie when he rattled the post with a fierce angled drive with Simonsen beaten. Again the move had come down the right, where City' were clearly exposed to pace.

Although Harper shot just wide in the second period of extra time, a penalty shoot out looked increasingly inevitable as both weary sides failed to pose another serious threat on goal.

And so to the penalties. For the record, Dave Brammer slammed his shot against the bar, Hoefkens went for placement but saw his shot saved, and then Duberry ballooned his attempt over he bar. The home side, meanwhile had scored all their penalties and deservedly went into the next round.

All in all, it had been an insipid performance for which there can be few excuses. City were out-run, out-fought and ultimately out-played. It was certainly not the best prelude to a difficult Bank Holiday programme in the Championship.


Latest | August 2005