{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from July 2005

30th July 2005 19:34

Mansfield Town 3 - 3 Rotherham United
Dawson 44, 73, Barker 79. Burton 56, Williamson 70, Worrell 72.

Att: 1523 (286 from Rotherham)
Stags fight back in six-goal thriller

CHAD website:
Mansfield Town led and then came from 3-1 down to draw 3-3 with League One neighbours Rotherham United in an entertaining pre-season friendly at Field Mill this afternoon.
Stephen Dawson had given Stags an interval lead against the run of play.
But, after levelling, the visitors then struck twice in as many minutes to seemingly win the game.
But Stags had other ideas and Dawson quickly pulled one back before Barker headed an 80th minute equaliser against his old club.
It left Stags without a win in four pre-season games against sides from higher divisions but with much to be pleased with ahead of the big kick-off next week.
Rundle replaced Tipton in Mansfield's starting line-up while Rotherham gave a start to former Stags ace Lee Williamson.
The Millers were almost gifted a fifth minute goal when a right wing cross skimmed off Day's head to Butler. But he lifted his finish over both Pressman and bar.
Keeper Montgomery bravely went into a crunching tackle with Barker on Stags' first raid.
A good through ball from Butler gave Burton sight of goal but the Jamaican international's low finish was easily stopped by Pressman.
A poor Pressman kick on 14 was miscontrolled by Day to leave Burton clear on goal. But the keeper made a smart save to retrieve the situation.
McClaren was just too high with a rising 20 yard drive on 22 minutes.
But the Millers continued to dominate and when Peers gave the ball away, Roberton's cross found Burton in front of goal where he saw Pressman parry. And when the ball was squared to Butler, he got no power on his shot.
Mansfield replied with two excellent 30 yard efforts inside a minute.
First Birchall was just to high with a curling chip that dropped just over with Montgomery helpless.
Then Uhlenbeek saw his delected blast go just wide for a corner.
Day was struggling for form against the pacey United attack and he was pipped to the ball by the dangerous Campbell-Ryce who ran on to drill a shot over the bar.
More neat football from the visitors carved open a shooting chance for Butler who again saw Pressman make the save.
But it was Stags who went into the break ahead with a goal on the stroke of half-time.
Palmer found Jelleyman to his left and he crossed long into the box.
Barker's jump gave the keeper problems and, as the ball ran loose, Dawson took possession and cut back inside before burying his finish from six yards.
United should have been level on 52. Burton was afforded too much space in the box from Minto's forward ball and tried to lob Pressman.
But the experienced keeper thrust out an arm and just managed to turn in aside.
When the corner came over a scramble ensued which ended with Williamson flashing a shot into the sidenetting.
However, Rotherham were level on 56 minutes, despite the heroics of Pressman.
Campbell-Ryce's long cross from the right found Robertson whose volley was superbly saved.
Pressman recovered to make another super stop to deny Williamson but was helpless as Burton finally drilled home at the third time of asking.
Campbell-Ryce was inches wide of the far post soon after when bursting through from the right.
Then Pressman did well to get one hand to a cross before clearing the danger with a firm tackle.
But two goals in two minutes seemed thet would all but end the contest.
Williamson edged United ahead on 70 minutes, flashing home a first time near post finish from Hoskins' low cross.
Soon after, Cambell's low cross from the right was neatly tucked away by Worrell from 10 yards.
However, Dawson gave Mansfield a lifeline two minutes later when he fired home after Barker's shot had been blocked.
Coke was just wide from 20 yards after more home pressure.
And the reward came on 80 minutes as Barker guided home a header from seven yards from Birchall's perfectly weighted cross.
Clever footwork from Brown saw him skid a superb shot towards the near post to force a save from Montgomery on 87.
The crowd of 1,523 included 286 from Rotherham.

Rotherham United Official Site:
Mansfield Town 3
Rotherham United 3

After looking well on course for a comfortable victory at Field Mill this afternoon, Rotherham United had to settle for a 3-3 draw following a late comeback by the Stags.

The Millers had controlled virtually all the first half and they could easily have established a comfortable lead.

Martin Butler had a good effort saved on 14 minutes after Deon Burton had blazed an opening wide of the target.

Butler then had a shot well saved by Pressman before Burton had a goalbound header brilliantly kept out. Two minutes before the interval another shot from Butler was saved before Town took an unexpected lead on the stroke of half time.

When a deep cross came in from the left former Rotherham striker Richie Barker put Gary Montgomery under pressure and when the ball dropped loose, Dawson rammed it home.

The second half started with the Millers again in control and after Burton had forced another good save from Pressman it was all square on 56 minutes.

Jamal Campbell-Ryce crossed from the right for Gregor Robertson and Lee Williamson to see shots blocked and Burton pounced to hammer the loose ball home.

Rotherham took the lead on 69 minutes when he did well to win the ball and send Hoskins away down the left. He crossed a low ball for Williamson to finish off the move in fine style.

Two minutes later Rotherham added a third goal with a fine flowing move that ended with Campbell-Ryce slipping the ball to David Worrell who scored with the aid of a deflection.

But Mansfield pulled a goal back on 73 minutes through Dawson and barker headed the equaliser ten minutes from time.

Team: Montgomery, Worrell, Barker, Murdock, Minto, Campbell-Ryce, McLaren (Vernazza 86), Williamson (Mullin 81), Robertson (Hoskins 64), Butler, Burton (Newsham 72).



Latest | July 2005