{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from November 2004

21st November 2004 22:51

Boston United 0-0 Mansfield Town
Att: 3354 (1053 from Mansfield)

Martin Shaw at York Street

The Stags picked up a useful point in a dramatic encounter at York Street this afternoon, but will come away feeling that they should have robbed Boston United of their unbeaten home record. The Stags played against 10 men for more than half the match but couldn't make their possession count as they again failed to hit the target. Boston were reduced to 10 men after 36 minutes when Lee Beevers was sent off in an incident that bizarrely saw the home side awarded a penalty. Kevin Pilkington saved the penalty and went on to play very well, as did the home keeper Nathan Abbey, who produced fine saves from Dave Artell in the first half, and Neil MacKenzie in stoppage time, to rob the Stags of the points.

Man of the match: Kevin Pilkington

Stagsnet report now in the Match Centre
CHAD =====

Stags get point at 10-men Boston

Stags had to be content with a point at high-flying Boston this afternoon,
drawing 0-0, despite playing 53 minutes against 10 men.
But with the off-pitch upheaval at Field Mill continuing, Boston being
unbeaten at home in the League this season, and Kevin Pilkington having to
save a 38th minute penalty from Tam McManus, both sides will probably be
content with a share of the spoils on a sunny but freezing cold afternoon on
the East Coast.
But Stags are now seven games without a win and desperately need to find
some extra firepower on the transfer market this week before next Saturday's
visit of Leyton Orient with Colin Larkin the only senior striker at the
With Craig Woodman back at Bristol City, Stags gave Jason Talbot his first
start at left back after joining on a month's loan from Bolton this week.
Alex Neil was also given a start on the right of midfield with Derek Asamoah
beginning a three-match ban.
Boston, with injured top scorer Andy Kirk, welcomed back former York Street
star Daryl Clare after re-signing him from Chester. But he could only manage
a place on the bench.
MacKenzie tried his luck with a quick free kick from the centre circle in
the second minute after McLachlan had been fouled but chipped too high.
MacKenzie then saw a shot deflect wide for the first of two corners after
Boston's defence had only half-cleared Buxton's free kick.
Curtis was booked on 11 minutes for kicking the ball away after conceding a
free kick.
Stags then carved out two chances in as many minutes.
Corden laid a free kick to MacKenzie whose shot was deflected upwards for
Artell to power a header goal wards that Abbey did well to turn round at
full stretch.
Then MacLachlan curled one wide after a lightning break downfield involving
MacKenzie and Larkin.
Stags continued to impress and MacKenzie shot just wide and Artell had a far
post header deflect for a corner.
Beevers was booked for a foul on Maclachlan and, two minutes later,
MacLachlan suffered the same fate for a dive.
Mansfield suffered a blow on 30 minutes when McLachlan limped off to be
replaced by Murray.
Thompson tried his luck from outside the box but was too high.
But the home side were reduced to 10 men and given a penalty in an amazing
37th minute off-the-ball incident.
The crowd had watched the ball go out for a throw-in near the halfway line.
But the referee was racing into the box where Neil was down hurt.
He showed a second yellow and red card to Ellender. Then, after discussions
with his assistant he also booked Artell and gave Boston a penalty.
But Pilkington was equal to the kick from McManus as he dived low to his
left to keep it out and save Stags' bacon.
Corden was off target and MacKenzie had a shot deflect wide as the end of a
satisfactory first half for Mansfield neared.
But Boston almost had the final say as Thompson dipped a 25 yard effort just
over the top.
Boston brought on Melton for West for the second half which opened with
MacKenzie shooting low and narrowly wide from Murray's pass.
Another MacKenzie shot was deflected wide for a corner which Corden
Then, after a lecture for another foul, Artell was in the action at the
other end as he sent a loose ball wide from close range after MacKenzie's
low free kick has squirmed away from the keeper's grasp.
Neil had a tremendous shot from a tight angle saved by Abbey as Stags
continued to turn the screw.
Rusk almost found a way through for Boston with a low shot that beat both
Pilkington and the far post.
MacKenzie twice came close in a minute as Ellender robbed him with a superb
tackle in the box and seconds later saw Ellender's body block his first time
Murray and MacKenzie both saw shots go wide while Thomas brought a save from
Pilkington at the other end with his 18 yard effort.
Corden was booked for fouling McManus shortly before the Boston striker made
way for Clare.
Thompson put in a dangerous low cross from the right towards Clarke. But
John-Baptiste stuck out a foot to make a crucial interception.
Larkin had a brief sight of goal but lasted well wide to the jeers of the
home fans as the game continued to search for a hero.
Murray sent Larkin into the left of the box but his cross-cum-shot was easy
for Abbey.
The Neil cut in from the right but ballooned his shot well over as we seemed
to be heading for a 0-0 draw.
Neil whipped in a cross from the right but Murray's diving header was always
going wide.
Murray then over-hit a through ball for MacKenzie after an error by Ellender
had gifted Stags the ball.
McCann sent a free kick into the wall near the end.
But former Forest star Lee should have sneaked victory in the 86th minute.
Ellender's cross was too high for Clare's head but Lee was there at the far
post to blaze over from point blank range.
Clare then shrugged off John-Baptiste to fire inches wide but the referee
had already given a free kick against the Pilgrims so it wouldn't have
counted anyway.
John-Baptiste stuck with Clare on a good run and superbly blocked his shot,
Lee sending the loose ball well over.
In stoppage time Abbey was forced to beat away a powerful MacKenzie drive.

Boston United 0 Mansfield Town 0
by Footymad

Boston and Mansfield had to settle for a point a piece following a keenly
contested encounter at York Street.

Boston battled manfully for their share of the spoils as they had to play
for 53 minutes with just 10 men with defender Lee Beevers dismissed for two
bookable offensives.

The result maintained Boston's unbeaten home record, while Mansfield had to
settle for another winless return on the road which now stretches back to
August 15th.

There was little in the way of clear openings early on with Mansfield
content to play a high line in defence, while utilising Colin Larkin as a
lone striker.

Boston, though, missed out on 12 minutes when a low cross by Tam McManus
somehow eluded Jason Lee and Danny Thomas.

Three minutes later Mansfield went close when a David Artell flicked header
from a deflected Neil Mackenzie free-kick was expertly tipped away by Nathan

In reply Boston exerted spells of pressure which were constantly thwarted by
a well organised Stags back line.

The match erupted into drama on 37 minutes when Artell felled Lee Beevers at
the expense of a booking and penalty while the Boston player was sent off
for retaliation.

After all the furore, Tom McManus stepped up but saw a tame spot kick saved
by Kevin Pilkington.

Mansfield with their numerical advantage were quick to launch attacks at the
start of the second half. First Artell fired wide from a Neil Mackenzie free
kick and then Alex Neil and Colin Larkin both tested Abbey.

Boston tried hard to create pressure at the other end and in the 60th minute
a low skimming shot by Jason Lee brought Pilkington in to saving action.

Boston managed to create a great opening in the 73rd minute when Lee and Lee
Thompson prized open the visiting defence but new signing Daryl Claire fired
over the top.

In the 85th minute Boston went close again when, following a partially
cleared free kick by Austin McCann, Paul Ellender crossed form the right and
Lee ballooned over form close range.

In stoppage time Mansfield almost snatched a win but Mackenzie saw a shot on
the run beaten away by Nathan Abbey.
Football First match report:
By Dale Huggert
transcribed by carole

Evans makes a point:

TEN-MAN Boston kept their unbeaten home record intact with a battling show against Mansfield.

A point each was, in the end, a fair reflection on a match which saw Boston defy the odds after seeing defender Lee Beevers red-carded in the 37th minute.

Mansfield had plenty of the play, but were unable to conjure up their first away win since August the 14th.

But, both managers aired a touch of dismay at the result.

Boston boss Steve Evans, this week linked with the vacant Oxford job, praised his team's effort but still felt disappointed. He said: “I couldn't fault the effort of our players, as we had to play for so long with 10 men.

“Mansfield played the ball around well and missed a couple of chances, but not like the ones we failed to take.

Mansfield's caretaker manager Carlton Palmer said: “The fact Boston were down to 10 men wasn't an issue with us. We played some great football but I was disappointed we didn't get the three points our performance deserved.

Boston's first opportunity came on 12 minutes when a low-cross from Tam McManus somehow eluded Jason Lee and Danny Thomas.

But the visitors had the first clear opening when a deflected free-kick by Neil MacKenzie yielded a smart flicked header from Dave Artell on 15 minutes, but home keeper Nathan Abbey saved well.

Boston produced some neat attacking play of their own but frequently lost their way in the final third.

The game erupted on 37 minutes when Artell fouled Beevers to concede a penalty. The Mansfield player was booked while Beevers saw red for retaliating. McManus then saw a tame spot-kick easily saved by Kevin Pilkington.

Early in the second half Mansfield lifted the tempo, with Artell firing wide from a MacKenzie free-kick, and then Alex Neil and Colin Larkin both testing Abbey.

Boston almost broke through on 73 minutes when Jason Lee and Lee Thompson unlocked the Stags' defence, but Daryl Clare fired over.

Boston rallied well in the later stages and almost snatched an 85th minute goal but Lee blazed over.

Boston Utd………… Mansfield Town
39-----------Possession %---- 61
2------------Yellow Cards------4
1------------Red Cards----------0
1------------Shots on Target---4
7------------Shots off Target--11
0------------Hit Woodwork-----0


Latest | November 2004