{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from December 2003

28th December 2003 20:23

Match Statistics (Silkmen / Stags)
11 Goal Attempts 11
7 On target 6
3 Off target 5
1 Woodwork 0
5 Corners 3
6 Fouls 11
12 Offside 12
Evening Post report:
Macclesfield Town 1 v 1 Mansfield Town
Iyseden Christie netted his 50th goal for the Stags - but they were forced to settle for a draw after Macclesfield's Matthew Tipton equalised deep into injury-time.
Tipton fired home from the edge of the area in the third minute of stoppage time to deprive Keith Curle's side of their third win on the trot.
The Stags started the game as the second highest scorers in the Football League, and they were on the rampage early on - Junior Mendes firing wide from the edge of the area after just six minutes.
Wayne Cordon then forced Steve Wilson into a smart save with a right-foot volley, while Matthew Carragher's goalbound effort was blocked by Luke Dimech in a rare chance for the Silkmen.
Mansfield eventually took the lead with 20 minutes to go when Christie netted what was also the club's 50th goal of the season after a pinpoint Mendes cross.
The hosts pressed for an equaliser and Martin Carruthers saw his right-footed effort saved by former Manchester United keeper Kevin Pilkington before Tipton's late body blow salvaged a point for the Silkmen.
Relieved Macclesfield manager John Askey paid tribute to his talisman striker Matthew Tipton who rescued a point with an injury-time equaliser against high-flying Mansfield Town.
"Matthew is on fire at the moment. He has scored 11 goals in 14 starts and it was another great strike that earned us a deserved point today," he said.
"We played well against a decent team but gave them their goal through a calamitous series of errors." Frustrated Stags boss Keith Curle was philosophical about his side's late concession.
"We're disappointed to have conceded a goal with just ten seconds left on the clock but we are professionals and we will take it on the chin," he said.
"We came away today and gave a good account of ourselves in a game that we deserved to win. We are now fourth at the halfway point of the season and getting stronger all the time." Macclesfield might have opened the scoring after only 60 seconds, Colin Little helping a Danny Adams header on to the crossbar.
Mansfield then changed gears, Junior Mendes finding the side-netting from ten yards before a Liam Lawrence snap-shot was blocked on the six-yard line.
Little then saw a close-range attempt deflected over the bar before Macclesfield's Michael Welch tried an audacious 50-yard free-kick that sailed agonisingly too high.
Mansfield grew stronger after the break, Wayne Corden firing high before Lawrence belted a drive into the advertising boards.
They took the lead on 70 minutes when Michael Welch gifted the ball to Lawrence who set up Iyseden Christie to poke home from eight yards.
With the seconds ticking down Jamie Clarke miscued a clearance into the face of his keeper Kevin Pilkington, the ball falling to Tipton to gleefully volley home from 12 yards.

Manchester Evening News:
Macclesfield 1 Mansfield 1
MACCLESFIELD firecracker Matthew Tipton bagged his eleventh goal of the season deep into injury time to rescue a point for his side.
On 70 minutes a comedy of errors in the home defence had seen Iylesden Christie poke home his eighth goal of the season.
But as the second ticked away Mansfield keeper Kevin Pilkington could only parry a shot into the path of Tipton who blasted home from 12 yards.
Macclesfield were unlucky not to take the lead on 60 seconds when Colin Little fired a six yard shot against the cross bar.
Mansfield then took control with Junior Mendes and Liam Lawrence both going close.
Macclesfield also had their chances in the first half, most notably Little who saw his close range shot deflected over the bar.


Latest | December 2003