{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from December 2003

6th December 2003 10:46

Skysports.com report:
Wycombe Wanderers and Mansfield will both be in the hat for the Third Round draw of the FA Cup after battling out a 1-1 draw at The Causeway stadium.

A tight first half ended goalless but the game burst into life after the half-time break.

The hosts took the lead after a classic counter-attacking move five minutes after the interval.

Mansfield went close to going in front when they hit the crossbar then the post from a corner , but Wycombe sprung onto the attack and Danny Bulman's driven cross was converted by Gavin Holligan sliding in at the far post.

The goal forced The Stags to go on the attack and they came close to levelling matters when Neil MacKenzie hit the post with a deflected volley.

The visitors did manage to scramble home an equaliser on the hour mark as Iyseden Christie forced home after Frank Talia in the home team's goal failed to deal with a corner.

Both sides had their chances in the final 15 minutes but there was to be no late winner and the two sides will do it all again in the replay at Field Mill.

After the game Wycombe boss Tony Adams praised his players for their effort.

"I asked them to stand up and be counted," stated Adams. "We knew we were in for a tough game and I'm proud of them."
CHAD website report:
Stags earn FA Cup replay
MANSFIELD Town earned a much deserved FA Cup second round replay with a 1-1 draw at Second Division strugglers Wycombe Wanderers tonight.
Mansfield fell behind against the run of play but Iyseden Christie's equaliser brought the Stags deservedly level shortly afterwards after hitting the Wycombe woodwork three times in five minutes.
Stags dominated this clash for long periods and prevented Tony Adams' strugglers from getting a shot on target in the first half.
After the break Mansfield stepped up a gear and created a succession of chances. And, despite falling behind against the run of play, they did enough to win the game before surviving some late scares to force a Field Mill replay.
Stags made one change with Neil MacKenzie replacing the injured Tom Curtis in the centre of midfield on an icy night in Buckinghamshire.
A neat move in the third minute almost gave Mansfield an early lead. Hassell's pass was touched back by Christie for Lawrence to let fly with a dipping shot that Talia did well to tip over his crossbar.
Artell was in the way of Holligan's shot as Wycombe produced their first threat two minutes later.
Wanderers forced their first corner on 10 minutes which was taken by Currie. Pilkington, at full stretch, could only tip it away as far as Holligan who sent a first time effort well over.
A long Williamson free kick was only cleared as far as Mendes on the edge of the Wycombe box on 13 minutes. And his volleyed attempt was touched just wide of the far post by Talia.
Vaughan got the first header on the resulting corner with Artell then heading over the bar.
Stags carved out another chance on 19 minutes as a long Lawrence through ball offered a run for Mendes. Talia was out to the edge of his box to clear first but the ball ran to Christie who had a first time stab at the empty net only to see it go wide.
Wanderers forced successive corners in reply, Pilkington completely missing the first as it flew across his goal.
Mansfield were almost caught napping on a swift breakaway by the home side as Currie switched play from left to right with a superb ball to send the dangerous McSporran on his way. He crossed early, pulling it back for Senda who powered a header just over.
A minute later Currie got into the Mansfield box on the left and held the ball up on the line before cueing up Holligan for a first time effort that sailed over the top.
Holligan was the provider on 34 minutes as his pass offered a shooting chance for McSporran 12 yards out but this took a deflection over for a corner.
Stags broke dangerously down the left on 38 minutes. Christie crossed low but a linesman's flag was up before Talia superbly beat away Lawrence's finish from seven yards with Disley also calling for a penalty after being prevented from reaching the ball before Lawrence.
Then another dangerous McSporran cross was punched away by Pilkington under pressure with no home player able to pounce on the second ball.
The first half finished scoreless, but Stags could feel the happier of the two sides with their Second Division opposition unable to get a single shot on target.
Stags successfully defended two early Wycombe corners after the break.
But the game exploded inside one amazing minute.
Stags won a corner on the right which Lawrence curled in. Day met it with a thunderous header that came back off the bar. That fell to Christie who then sent a scissor kick against the post.
It was incredibly bad luck on the visitors. But worse was to come.
Wycombe immediately broke down the left and Currie drilled the ball across hard and low for Holligan to turn home at the far post and give Wycombe and unexpected lead.
Stags' luck continued to be out five minutes later as a Lawrence corner was headed clear as far as MacKenzie who saw his 18 yard blast clip the outside of the same post Christie had struck moments earlier.
Lawrence saw the night's first yellow card on 58 minutes for showing his studs in a tackle.
But a deserved equaliser was not long in coming as Lawrence put over another teasing corner from the left. It curled through everyone but was knocked back in at the far post and Christie was on hand to drill home from eight yards.
The 538 visiting fans celebrated wildly with some advertising boards knocked over and several fans were led away by stewards amid the melee.
Soon after Christie's cutting pass sent Disley to the by-line. He pulled it back for Williamson at the near post and his finish was deflected narrowly wide as Stags began to run the show.
Another Mansfield raid on 70 minutes saw Mendes' powerful shot blocked and Christie's follow up fly inches wide.
Wycombe rallied briefly and won a couple of corners, home players fouling Pilkington on both occasions.
MacKenzie joined Lawrence in the book on 76 minutes for a foul just outside the centre circle.
Holligan got a tame header on target from a McSporran cross but 10 minutes from time Currie was only narrowly wide with a superb effort from 20 yards as the home side stepped up their hunt for a winner.
Disley's name was added to the notebook on 83 minutes for going in with studs showing on Senda.
Stags survived some hairy moments near the end with Simpemba heading just over from a Currie free kick three minutes from time.
Both sides made late changes with Larkin on for Disley for Mansfield and Wanderers sending on Roberts for goalscorer Holligan.
Stags hung on in the two added minutes with no further scares to bag a much deserved replay, currently scheduled for a week on Tuesday.
Evening Post report:

Wycombe Wanderers 1 v 1 Mansfield Town
Iyseden Christie fired home a second half equaliser to earn Keith Curle's Stags a second bite of the cherry against Second Division strugglers Wycombe.

The Stags were unbeaten in six before this game and nearly took the lead inside five minutes - Liam Lawrence forcing Frank Talia to tip over with a rasping volley from the edge of the area.

The game came to life after half time when Curle's side went behind, having hit the woodwork twice themselves in a goalmouth scramble just seconds earlier.

Darren Currie led the charge after Christie had crashed a shot onto the Chairboys' post, and crossed for Gavin Holligan to put the hosts ahead.

But Wycombe's joy was short-lived, Christie rifling home his seventh of the season on the hour mark after the Chairboys' defence failed to clear their lines from a corner.

Currie was a constant menace and he rifled wide of the right-hand upright in the dying minutes but Mansfield hung on.


Latest | December 2003