{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from November 2003

19th November 2003 18:19

The Stags have been found guilty by the FA over the brawl at Swansea and fined £2000.
The maximum fine they could have received was £10,000.
Curle angry as 'guilty' Stags are fined £2,000
CHAD website
MANSFIELD Town were this afternoon found guilty of 'failing to control their players' in the infamous brawl at Swansea City on Saturday, 30th August and fined £2,000 by the FA.
But Stags boss Keith Curle is furious the Swans appear to have got away scot-free with no apparent charges being levelled at them by the Welsh FA so far.
"The FA identified we were involved in a confrontation which, OK, we are unable to deny as the camera doesn't lie," said Curle.
"But it is disappointing from our point of view. There has to be two teams involved in a confrontation and my players were outnumbered and much of it was self defence.
"Both clubs are expected to play football on a level playing field. I would expect the same off it too.
"There is no parity whatsoever. Swansea have not been brought to task for their part in it."
Curle and chairman Keith Haslam attended the hearing at Notts County's Meadow Lane ground this morning and Curle added: "We were given a fair hearing and able to give our interpretation of events. And the club has accepted out punishment in good faith from our FA.
"But what about Swansea? What about an unlikely scenario if they were playing someone near the end of a season and there was an illegible player used or something like that?
"If we are talking about points deductions, is it fair that our FA seem stricter than theirs? It could wreck someone's promotion or relegation battle.
"It may seem far fetched but it could happen . Our FA has 89 clubs to look after, the Welsh only have the three. Surely it should all be equal in terms of punishment and justice."
The second half 'brawl' saw Lee Williamson dismissed and Liam Lawrence booked. Iyseden Christie had been sent off early in the game and nine-men Stags eventually lost 4-1 in a hostile atmopshere.


Latest | November 2003