{ match reports }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Season 12/13 Stagsnet Match Report
Blue Square Bet Premier
Mansfield Town  
8 - 1
Stevenson 8, 68, Green pen 23, 32, pen 52, Daniel 30, Murray 43, Howell 70.
 Danny L Rowe pen 17
Attendance: 2226 (82 from Barrow)
Date: 9 February 2013


Martin Shaw at the One Call Stadium

Mansfield Town annihilated Barrow for the second season running. Last season the Stags inflicted Barrow with the worst defeat in their history: a 7-0 mauling. Unbelievably the Stags bettered that result with an 8-1 victory, and thus entered the Barrow record books again with their worst defeat in their history. Meanwhile for Mansfield it was the first eight goal haul since the 8-1 win over QPR in 1965, and is only bettered in the list of biggest victories in the club’s history in league games by the 9-2 win against Rotherham in 1932.

Mansfield picked up where they left off against Dartford last week. The Stags were outstanding in the second half against Dartford last week, and they bettered it this time by producing two outstanding halves of football. The Stags were so good that during commentary with the score at 4-1, I commented that I thought the Stags could get ten in this game. In the end it was only eight. The Stags midfield and forward line were irresistible, with Howell, Murray, Briscoe, Daniel, Stevenson and Green all worthy of a rating of at least 8. Stevenson was my man of the match, and the fans text vote man of the match, and really does look the player who signed for the Stags having scored 90 goals in 3 seasons.

Owner John Radford gave Stags manager Paul Cox his Aston Martin as a result of the 5-1 scoreline at half-time. After the game, the car was parked outside reception with new number plate MT51COX. A remarkable gesture. The look on Cox’s face after the post-match interviews as he saw the car, showed that he couldn’t quite believe what had happened.

Mansfield made one change from the side that beat Dartford, and it was the expected one as Briscoe replaced Meikle. This had been the change at half time against Dartford. The pitch was again in good condition, with the covers sitting on the side of the pitch, having been on during the week to protect from the frost.

Inside the first minute, a fine corner from Jennings from the left was met with a powerful header from Jones which was tipped over the bar by keeper Shaun Pearson. On 4 minutes, Daniel put in a powerful cross from the left, the keeper was nowhere it, and it seemed that Green must score with a free header from 4 yards, but he put it wide. In fairness to Green, the cross came quickly at him.

The Stags were in front on 8 minutes. Stevenson picked up the ball, moved forward, resisted the chance to shoot early, but then sent a powerful shot into the top right corner. A terrific goal.

A minute later, a Barrow defender got lucky when he played the ball off Green for a free kick. On 12 minutes, a good header by Briscoe across goal and defender Mike Pearson put in a great tackle to deny Green. Then on 15 minutes, Green played the ball inside to Murray who shot well wide. It was a disappointing effort from Murray but it is great to see him taking pot shots because he will convert a good percentage.

It was a great start from the Stags with the Stags winning every loose ball and absolutely all over Barrow. My fellow commentator Nigel Pinnick described the Stags as rutting.

Astonishingly Barrow were level on 17 minutes. Out of nowhere Beevers clipped Danny L Rowe from behind (originally I had thought he was pulled down by Dempster). Danny L Rowe stepped up to take the penalty and sent it towards the left corner. Marriott dived well and got a hand to it but couldn’t keep it out.

Barrow could have taken the lead on 20 minutes. Marriott had to save well from a free shot from Boyes and the rebound was blasted just wide by Danny M Rowe.

The Stags regained the lead on 23 minutes. From Daniel’s cross, Jones was clearly climbed all over by right back Matt Flynn. Green stepped up and sent the keeper Shaun Pearson the wrong way putting the ball in the bottom left corner.
On 25 minutes, a long range effort from a Barrow player was deflected into Marriott’s arms. Stevenson showed great control on 28 minutes from a good ball forward from Jennings but it came to nothing.

It was 3-1 on 30 minutes. Daniel latched on to a lovely ball over the top by Murray, held off a defender and fired in off the right post past the keeper’s outstretched arm.

The Stags were rampant and on 32 minutes, it was 4-1. The referee played a great advantage and Stevenson played a superb ball forward into the path of Green. As the keeper came out, Green dinked a clinical finish over him into the back of the net.

A minute later, Briscoe sent in a 25 yard shot that knocked the keeper over and he managed to parry it just wide of the right post in the process. From the resulting corner, Murray’s shot was blocked. A rare Barrow break on 38 minutes and Marriott had to clutch a shot from Boyes above his head. Straight to the other end and a great effort by Stevenson as his long range shot was parried by the keeper. Then on 40 minutes, a great ball forward by Murray was cleared.

The Stags made it 5-1 on 43 minutes. A corner from Jennings from the right evaded the keeper Shaun Pearson who claimed he was fouled and Murray fired into the net from close range.

A minute into stoppage time Marriott made a good save from Danny L Rowe’s shot from a tight angle.

Half time 5-1

Great play from Briscoe on 46 minutes and his cross seemed certain to present Daniel with an open goal but a defender did well to flick it behind for a corner. From the resulting corner taken by Jennings, Jones’ header was parried away by the keeper.

The Stags made it 6-1 on 52 minutes. Jennings flighted a free kick into the area and Jones’ shirt was held, the referee having no hesitation in pointing to the spot. This time Green put his penalty half way up the net just inside the left post.

Rhead replaced Green on 59 minutes, Green being rested, having completed his hat trick and he left the pitch to a rousing reception.

Rhead was straight into the action on 61 minutes heading on a Briscoe cross into the path of Daniel who fired straight at the keeper. Good play from Barrow right winger Rutherford on 62 minutes when he fired just over the bar. A minute later, Stevenson set Daniel away on the right, Daniel crossed into the middle and ???(to be confirmed). Then on 65 minutes, a good move as Rhead found Stevenson who found Briscoe who fired wide. Nick Wright then replaced Daniel.

On 68 minutes, the Stags made it a magnificent seven. Stevenson played a fabulous one-two with Rhead and fired past the keeper for a tremendous goal.

Just two minutes later, it was 8-1 as Howell headed over the keeper from 10 yards.

With 20 minutes to go, and the Stags running rampant it seemed likely that they would get one more goal which would give us the biggest win in the club’s history.

Clements replaced captain Murray on 71 minutes. A great run from substitute Wright on 75 minutes as he got to the byeline but his cross towards Stevenson didn’t quite find him. A bizarre moment on 76 minutes as Beevers headed a backpass which fell straight to Barrow substitute Lee McEvilly but somehow the big, burly, bald Barrow striker failed to convert the chance. Long after the game finished, McEvilly was feeling very ill and two ambulances arrived at Field Mill but thankfully he was OK and eventually able to travel home in the team coach.

A double chance for the Stags on 81 minutes. From a Jennings corner, Rhead’s header hit a defender and went over the bar and, from the resulting corner, Jones’ header was cleared off the line. On 82 minutes, a shot from Stevenson was saved above his head by the keeper and then on 87 minutes, Briscoe cut inside from the left and his shot was deflected just past the right post. A minute into stoppage time, Barrow keeper Shaun Pearson got lucky as his clearance was charged down by Rhead and went wide.

A superb win for the Stags, who are playing tremendous football. And so on to Newport on Tuesday night, and a huge test against the side who have been near the top of the league all season. Come on Mansfield!

Man of the match: Lee Stevenson

Report by: Martin Shaw at the One Call Stadium

Line Up:
Marriott 7 A couple of good saves, and so nearly saved the Barrow penalty.
Beevers 6 Did ok. Nearly gifted McEvilly a crazy goal. Gave away penalty.
Dempster 6 OK.
Jones 7 The defence wasn’t at its best as a unit, but Jones was a threat up front, winning two penalties and having a great header tipped over.
Jennings 6 Did ok. Some good set pieces.
Briscoe 8 Very lively, a powerful shot that nearly knocked the keeper off his feet, some great crosses.
Howell 8 Very good game and great to see him scoring for the second game running.
Murray 8 All action display. After only one goal (against Matlock) in quite a long period, he now has three in three. Lovely ball over the top to set up Daniel’s goal.
Daniel 8 Really well taken goal, and some good runs and crosses.
Stevenson 9.5 Absolutely outstanding. Two superbly taken goals, tremendous pass for Green’s second goal, and plenty of other excellent play.
Green 8 Very sharp and deserved his hat-trick.
Sub Line Up:
Rhead (for Green, 59) - Slotted in well.
Wright (for Daniel, 65) - One particularly good run.
Clements (for Murray, 71) -
Subs not used: Sutton, Meikle.
Opposition Line Up:
Shaun Pearson; Matt Flynn, Tom Eckersley, Mike Pearson, Gavin Skelton; Paul Rutherford, Alex-Ray Harvey, James Owen, Danny M Rowe (Sean McConville 73); Danny L Rowe, Adam Boyes (Lee McEvilly 74).
Robert Whitton (Braintree) 7 Got the key decisions, including the penalties, about right. Played an excellent advantage for the fourth goal and then came back and booked the offending Barrow player.

Season 12/13 Reports