{ match reports }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Season 11/12 Stagsnet Match Report
Blue Square Bet Premier
Mansfield Town  
3 - 2
 Hayes & Yeading
Dyer 38, Green 68, Hutchinson pen 90.
 Owusu 30, Soares 56.
Attendance: 1872 (26 from Hayes & Yeading)
Date: 21 January 2012


Martin Shaw at Field Mill

Mansfield Town picked up a second consecutive victory in a thriller against Hayes & Yeading this afternoon. Second bottom Hayes belied their position with an impressive display and 14 of their fans who I spoke to on the way home were counting themselves very unlucky to have come away with nothing. After a poor opening half hour, the game came to light after Julian Owusu fired Hayes in front from 6 yards when the ball seemed to hold up nicely in the wind for him. Ross Dyer silenced his critics with a great equaliser on 38 minutes, firing in low and hard from the edge of the box, a goal sadly partially missed by the video cameraman. Another great finish, this time by Hayes & Yeading’s impressive Louie Soares, put the visitors back in front on 56 minutes. Matt Green equalised on 68 minutes with his 17th goal of the season, firing home from inside the box. The Stags pushed hard for a winner in the last 20 minutes, and got it on the stroke of 90 minutes when Gary Roberts was clearly brought down in the box and substitute Ben Hutchinson coolly and confidently stroked the ball home. Matt Green should have sealed the win on 90+3 minutes when he rounded the keeper but fired wide. Great entertainment for the fans and in the end it was the result we wanted.

It was an even windier afternoon than in that game against Forest Green. Again the wind was towards the Quarry Lane end and it was behind Mansfield in the first half.

Mansfield made one change from the side that beat Forest Green a fortnight ago, with Adam Smith in for Louis Briscoe. Paul Cox told us before the game that he had intended to start with Ben Hutchinson up front in place of Ross Dyer, but he had changed his mind due to the high winds, believing that the ball would spend a lot of time in the air and thus Dyer would be useful. So Hutchinson was again on the bench. Hayes & Yeading were without former Stag Dan Spence, out with a long term injury.

The first sight of either goal came on 9 minutes when Louie Soares shot straight at Marriott from 22 yards. Two minutes later, Green had Mansfield’s first effort when his shot from a similar distance was straight at keeper Pentney.

Dyer should have been through on 16 minutes when Roberts chipped a ball forwards and it took a big deflection off a Hayes player, but the officials still flagged for offside. Green was in the box on 18 minutes from a Dyer flick-on but was denied by a wonderful tackle from Hayes’s long serving defender Tom Cadmore.

Then on 19 minutes, a penalty shout for the Stags as Dyer went down in the box, but the referee waved away the appeals. On 22 minutes, Meikle shot from the edge of the box and Pentney saved. On 27 minutes, a Stags free kick 25 yards out was a good opportunity for Luke O’Neill but his shot was over the bar.

Hayes took a shock lead on 30 minutes. Mansfield had a throw-in level with the edge of their own penalty area and Kendrick took it but it must have slipped from his hands as he released it, it went up in the air, straight to Jamie Hand who drilled a low cross across the edge of the six yard box. It looked as though the cross would evade everyone, but it seemed to hold up in the wind allowing Julian Owusu to fire home from 6 yards. I watched Owusu for Hayes last Tuesday night and he was abysmal, but he couldn’t miss this one from 6 yards.

On 33 minutes, Green burst into the area beating a man on the way, but fired wide. Then on 35 minutes Green got into the box on the right and his cross was deflected into the keeper’s arms. A great run and shot from Roberts on 36 minutes, but it deflected wide for a corner.

The Stags were deservedly level on 38 minutes. Roberts took a quick free kick to Green who turned but was unable to get a shot in, the ball fell to Dyer who rifled a low hard shot into the bottom left corner of the net from 20 yards.

Roberts was in the right place at the right time on 40 minutes, as a Louie Soares corner was headed goalwards and was heading in until Roberts chested it off the line.

A minute later, the Stags got another free kick 25 yards from goal. This time Roberts was not leaving it for O’Neill, and Roberts sent in a piledriver towards the roof of the net, which was tipped over by the keeper.

An odd moment on 42 minutes as two Hayes players seemed to be squaring up with each other after the referee awarded a free kick for Mansfield. Only one Hayes player was booked as a result. On 44 minutes a Green turn and shot was tame and at the keeper. Then on 45, Adam Smith cut inside from the left and fired wide.

The Stags had ended the half strongly and would need to adapt their style in the second half to play against the wind.

Half time 1-1

A clever corner by Hayes on 48 minutes saw Soares cut inside and his low shot from saved by Marriott.

The Stags should have taken the lead on 50 minutes and it would have been one that Ross Dyer would have had nightmares about if the Stags had not won. Adam Smith put in a wonderful cross from the left with his right foot, and it was perfect for Dyer, 3 yards out, who headed wide.

On 53 minutes, Cadmore sent a wind-assisted free kick from 50 yards goalwards and Marriott had to save it on his line. Then Marriott saved low down from Owusu’s deflected shot.

On 54 minutes, Green got down the right and Smith headed goalwards, but the keeper saved well. Moments later a Roberts effort was deflected over the bar - a great effort. Then moments after that, Roberts created space, cut inside and fired over the bar.

Hayes were back in front against the run of play on 56 minutes. Louie Soares was able to run at the Stags defence, who backed off, and Soares buried a great finish into the left corner of the net giving Marriott no chance. It was a shock to the Stags who had been pushing hard to take the lead.

On 63 minutes, Jamie Hand tried his luck from 40 yards, and again Marriott was forced to catch on his line.

Hutchinson replaced Dyer on 64 minutes. On 65 minutes, Meikle’s cross was deflected away for a corner, when he probably should have shot.

Moments later a great challenge by Adam Murray as Hayes broke forward.

The Stags were level again on 68 minutes. Green’s lovely backheel sent Kendrick away into the box. As Kendrick shot, he may have been clipped, but his shot was saved by the keeper. The ball swirled away and looked like it would go for a throw, but it stayed in play on the left and Smith sent it back in to Green in the middle, who controlled it and smashed it into the left corner of the net from 10 yards.

On 70 minutes, Green seemed to be through on goal but elected not to shoot. A minute later, Hayes were nearly in front again as Walsh flicked a Hand free-kick and it struck the post, as Marriott dived but couldn’t get his fingertips to it. It was very close.

It was a really exciting game now. On 79 minutes, Briscoe replaced Meikle. A good run from Green on 81 minutes and he squared it but it was cleared. Then on 82 minutes, Smith curled a cross to the far post with his right foot and Murray sent a diving header wide from six yards. Then two half chances for the Stags, as good work by Hutchinson saw him feed Briscoe for a low cross just behind everyone, and then Smith’s cross was through everyone.

On 84 minutes, fantastic play by Hutchinson on the right, beating his man and whipping in a great cross for Roberts at the far post, but Roberts got the ball stuck under his foot. On 87 minutes, Soares went on a good run and again was afforded too much space, but this time he shot wide.

In the final minute, the Stags won a free kick on the edge of the “D” in a central position, as Briscoe was brought down. Briscoe took the kick and blasted it into the wall. It rebounded up in the air to Roberts, who took a touch, and showed good composure to go around left back Wishart, who brought Roberts down. It looked a clear penalty at the time, a view supported from the video evidence as well. Hutchinson was determined to take it and showed great confidence and coolly slotted the ball home, before the players celebrated wildly in front of the West Stand.

Howell replaced Roberts in stoppage time, as Roberts came off to a standing ovation. Green should have sealed the win on 90+3 minutes when he was clean through, and rounded the keeper, but perhaps went a bit too wide and fired wide of the right post. Moments later, and with the final kick of the game, Ajala fired over for Hayes from 22 yards.

Man of the match: Gary Roberts

Report by: Martin Shaw at Field Mill

Line Up:
Marriott 6 No chance with either goal. Made some routine saves.
O’Neill 7 Decent game, but was surprise choice as sponsors man of the match. Set pieces were unimpressive.
Dempster 6 Did ok.
Sutton 6 Also did ok.
Kendrick 5.5 Not his best game. Was horribly outpaced by Collins in the second half. Several times got in good positions going forward but didn’t seem to look up and wasted the opportunities.
Meikle 6 Did ok.
Murray 8 Worked very hard, and had a very good game.
Roberts 8.5 Terrific game. Creates chances and has a fine shot on him. Sees a pass that most other players don’t. Came off to another standing ovation.
Smith 7.5 Some great crosses, especially in the second half.
Green 7 Played well. Another goal with a clinical finish. Should have made it 4-2 in stoppage time when he went round the keeper and missed.
Dyer 7.5 Good game. Fine goal, sadly partially missed by the cameraman. Did miss a sitter with his head in the second half.
Sub Line Up:
Hutchinson (for Dyer, 64) 8 Very impressive. Some great work down the right and one great cross that got stuck under Roberts’s foot. Dispatched the crucial penalty expertly.
Briscoe (for Meikle, 78) - Had a good 15 minutes, looking much sharper than of late.
Howell (for Roberts, 90+2) -
Subs not used: Redmond, Riley.
Opposition Line Up:
Pentney; Moutaouakil, Walsh, Cadmore, Wishart; Pele, Hand, Lee (Ajala 76), Soares; Owusu (Bassele 83), Rose (Collins 46). Subs not used: Beasant, Legg.
Seb Stocksbridge (Gateshead) 6 Got the Stags penalty right, and some good use of the advantage rule

Season 11/12 Reports