{ match reports }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Season 11/12 Stagsnet Match Report
FA Trophy Round 1
2 - 1
 Mansfield Town
Johnson 19, 57.
 Green 84.
Attendance: 335 (not segregated)
Date: 10 December 2011

Jake Allsop at The Butchers Arms

Mansfield Town made 2 changes to the side that started against Grimsby in midweek. Aman Verma came in for Paul Bolland who dropped to the bench amd Marcus Kelly came in for Kieran Freeman at left back to make his Mansfield Town debut.

Droylsden made the better start with an early chance but the cross was well held by Alan Marriott in the Stags goal. Moments later Droylsden had a shot, struck straight at Alan Marriott who gathered the ball with ease. On 15 minutes the Stags registered our first real chance, Lee Stevenson got to the byline and picked out Matt Green with a wonderful cross who acrobatically tried to volley the ball into the goal but was met with a fantastic save by the Droylsden number 1, and on the follow up, Lindon Meikle fired a shot high over the goal. On 19 minutes a Droylsden free kick was met by the head of a Blood's player and found the back of the net to put the hosts 1-0 up. In the final few minutes of the first half we again had Alan Marriott to thank keeping us in it with a fine double save, where the hosts should have taken a 2-0 lead, only to be denied and keep Mansfield in the game.

Half time: Droylsden 1-0 Mansfield.

The second half started the same as the first and Droylsden had another shot straight at Marriott who parried the rebound out and the follow up was sent high and wide not troubling the keeper. The Stags first chance came on 50 minutes from an Aman Verma free kick that dipped over the wall and just wide of the left hand post. The Stags then went 2-0 down, Johnson picked the ball up in midfield and and went staight through the defence before placing a beautifully placed shot down to Marriott's left. Paul Cox then made changes, bringing on Luke O'Neill and Louis Briscoe on for John Thompson and Lee Stevenson. Mansfield started to pile the pressure onto Droylsden in the final 20 minutes and pressure paid off with 6 minutes to go as Adam Murray picked out Green, whose header looped over the goalkeeper to get the Stags back into the game. Mansfield kept the foot on the gas in the final few minutes but couldn't beat the Droylden shotstopper and the final whistle blew to cheers from the home faithful.

Full time: Droylsden 2-1 Mansfield

So the Stags are out at the first hurdle, and no Wembey day out this season, not in the FA Trophy anyway.

Man of the match: Alan Marriott

Report by: Jake Allsop at The Butchers Arms

Line Up:
Marriott 8
Sutton 6
Thompson 5
Dempster 6
Kelly 6
Dyer 7
Murray 5.5
Verma 5
Meikle 6.5
Stevenson 6
Green 6
Sub Line Up:
O'Neill (for Thompson, 61)
Briscoe (for Stevenson, 61)
Bolland (for Verma, 74)
Subs not used: Redmond, Rodney.
Opposition Line Up:
Phillips, Brown, Holden, Langford, Kerr, Marshall, Killeen, Hall (Rouse 90+4), Rowe (Peyton 89), Johnson, Gardner (Kilheeney 81). Subs not used: Gerrard, Lake.
Stephen Martin (Staffs)

Season 11/12 Reports