{ match reports }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Season 10/11 Stagsnet Match Report
FA Cup Round 1
Mansfield Town  
0 - 1
 Torquay United
 Benyon 87
Attendance: 2179 (201 from Torquay)
Date: 6 November 2010


by eggy95 at Field Mill

The Stags were unlucky to bow out of the FA Cup to an unimpressive Torquay side today, going down 1-0 to a late Elliot Benyon goal.

David Holdsworth made 4 changes to the side that lost 4-1 to Crawley last week, with Grand, Silk, Nix and Parker coming into the side at the expense of Day, Foster, Thompson and the injured Connor.

Torquay kicked off towards the Quarry Lane End and had the first half-chance, a Kevin Nicholson free-kick coming to nothing.

Three minutes in, and Steve Cook's long throw reached Simon Grand, who headed just wide.

Lee Mansell fired over from 20 yards shortly after.

On 6 minutes, the Stags had a great chance as Vincenti put a cross in, but it was just ahead of Keigan Parker.

Just 30 seconds later and a Torquay counter-attack led to Elliot Benyon forcing Pilkington into a great save, the ball being half-cleared and Benyon being caught marginally offside.

A Kyle Nix free-kick went just wide on 12 minutes.

Vincenti played a decent ball to Louis Briscoe, whose cross was blocked, giving Mansfield the first corner of the match.

At this point Romone Rose was stretchered off with suspected ankle ligament damage, being replaced with Billy Kee.

Scott Bevan comfortably punched away the Nix corner, Adam Smith's follow-up going wide.

2 minutes later Zebroski's cross was deflected by Simon Grand, forcing Pilkington into another good save.

Keigan Parker won another corner on 19 minutes, this time Adam Murray hit it straight at Bevan.

Adam Murray delivered a cross on 21 minutes, Adam Smith heading straight at the keeper.

Another swift counter-attack was dealt with thanks to a Simon Grand clearance.

Nicky Wroe looked like he was going to be the second player on a stretcher when Kyle Nix made a late tackle on him, getting a yellow card in the process.

A knock-down by Parker for Vincenti led to Louis Briscoe cutting inside and crossing, winning a corner.

The Kyle Nix corner was cleared, as was the cross by Adam Smith that followed.

Chris Zebroski was booked for a late tackle on Adam Smith.

A quick free kick on the half-hour mark left Kevin Pilkington having to rush out of his box and close down Billy Kee.

Adam Smith made another run down the wing on 34 minutes, winning another corner. The Nix corner was again cleared with little trouble.

Billy Kee hit another 2 shots well wide of the target.

On 42 minutes, Mansfield had their best chance of the match. Nicky Wroe appeared to pull back Adam Smith, the referee giving a soft free-kick. Parker and Nix were stood over the 30 yarder, Parker deciding to go for goal. The 'keeper mad a great save, tipping the ball onto the bar when it looked like Mansfield had scored.

3 minutes of injury time were played before the half-time break. Mansfield were much the better team in the first half.

HT: Mansfield Town 0-0 Torquay United

The second half, and Mansfield kicked off.

Kevin Nicholson forced a save out of Kevin Pilkington within a minute of the restart as Adam Murray lost the ball and Stags were slow to regroup.

Steve Foster replaced the Gary Silk, who had a hamstring injury, on 47 minutes, going to centre-half. Steve Cook moved to right-back.

Paul Stonehouse made a great run on 51 minutesm hitting the shot just wide.

Another poor pass let Nicky Wroe have a shot from 20 yards, but it went high of the goal.

Steve Cook made a run on 55 minutes but his cross couldn't beat the first man.

On 58 minutes Torquay had a corner, the clearance falling to Nicky Wroe on the edge of the box, but his shot was comfortably saved.

On 64 minutes Rob Duffy replaced Peter Vincenti.

Paul Stonehouse had to head away a ball that seemed destined for goal from Chris Zebrowski.

Another corner to Torquay was cleared, Pilkington had to save another follow-up shot.

Kyle Nix played a good free-kick to Louis Briscoe on 69 minutes. His cross reached Adam Smith, who could only head straight at the 'keeper.

2 minutes later, Louis Briscoe made another good run, winning a corner when his cross was deflected behind.

Kyle Nix took the corner, setting up Simon Grand to head wide.

This was Nix's last action as he was replaced by Tyrone Thompson.

Paul Stonehouse played a good ball to Adam Smith on 77 minutes, but his cross was easy for Scott Bevan to come and catch.

Parker knocked the ball down for Louis Briscoe to win a corner a minute later.

Adam Smith took the corner, but it was again cleared. The ball fell to him, and he took a powerful shot, which was spilled by Bevan. Keigan Parker was caught offside but probably would not have scored anyway.

Joe Oastler went off injured, which turned out to be a blessing in disguise for Torquay as the pacy Danny Stevens came on.

Steve Cook received a yellow card for a late tackle on 81 minutes.

Eunan O'Kane replace Kieran Charnock a minute later.

On 84 minutes, Steve Cook slipped at the vital moment, letting Stevens cut inside and take a shot, which was first deflected and then saved by Kevin Pilkington to go behind for a corner.

Louis Briscoe won a corner on 86 minutes. Adam Smith took it, but it only went as far as Mark Ellis. The clearance fell to Rob Duffy, who lost possession, leaving Torquay 3-on-3. Just 30 seconds after Smith had took the corner, Elliot Benyon was left 15 yards out after a great pass by Stevens. Benyon made no mistake, putting the ball into the bottom corner. It was harsh on Mansfield, but showed a flaw in the tactics when we should have been better prepared for a counter-attack.

Simon Grand received a yellow card on 89 minutes.

4 minutes of injury time were played. In the third of these, Adam Smith played a brilliant cross in to Louis Briscoe, who was unmarked at the back post. Briscoe really should have equalised, but his shot lacked power and was saved by Bevan. This proved to be the last action of a match that Mansfield were unlucky to lose, but didn't really deserve to win.

FT: Mansfield Town 0-1 Torquay United

Report by: eggy95 at Field Mill

Line Up:
Pilkington 8- Good saves, unable to do anything about goal. Better with crosses than I remember from his previous spell here.
Silk 6- Non-existent before hamstring injury.
Grand 6- Good in defence, woeful passing. Missed a hatful of chances in front of goal. If only...
Cook 7- Good running and passing. Working well with Briscoe along the right-wing. Disappeared when Torquay scored.
Stonehouse 9- Outstanding. Ran his socks off for 90 minutes, had a couple of good shots and excellent in defence.
Briscoe 7- Put in a couple of dangerous crosses, but has a tendency to drift away for portions of the match.
Murray 4- Dreadful. Couldn't pass more than 5 yards, lost every header and no help in defence. Could have cost us another two goals.
Nix 6- Appeared to be carrying a knock before half-time.
Adam Smith 7- Good runs down the wing and a big threat with Stonehouse.
Parker 6- Never going to win a ball in the air when he's surrounded by defenders. Never a lone striker. Offside too often.
Vincenti 6- Played behind Parker. Ridiculous flick-ons. Better in first-half.
Sub Line Up:
Foster (for Silk, 48) 6- Solid in defence
Duffy (for Vincenti, 65) 5- More flick-ons. When he had the ball at his feet he lost it, leading to the goal.
Thompson (for Nix, 74) 6- Ineffective in midfield, tracking back at time of goal.
Subs not used: Collett, Sandwith, Istead, Medley.
Opposition Line Up:
Bevan, Nicholson, Ellis, Robertson, Charnock (O'Kane 82), Mansell, Benyon, Wroe, Oastler (Stevens 79), Rose (Kee 14), Zebrowski. Not used: Potter, Rowe-Turner, Gritton, Hemmings.
Michael Naylor 8- Did very well not to lose game after injury and poor tackles.

Season 10/11 Reports